Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

More Flying with Mr. Al...The Video !!! Cox_ba12

More Flying with Mr. Al...The Video !!! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Today at 9:54 am

» How's the weather?
by HalfaDave Today at 9:34 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 8:27 am

» Enya .09 II Questions
by sosam117 Today at 8:24 am

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by crankbndr Today at 8:03 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

More Flying with Mr. Al...The Video !!! Empty
Live on Patrol

More Flying with Mr. Al...The Video !!!

Go down

More Flying with Mr. Al...The Video !!! Empty More Flying with Mr. Al...The Video !!!

Post  Kim Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:41 am

I've known Al Painton for 40+ years, even buying my little airplane from him way back in 1985.  We're different in several ways, but have a VERY similar view of flying machines, whether full scale or models: it's seldom enough for a model just to fly...it's got to 'do something', or at least be odd enough to establish a definite personality apart from the crowd.

In his eighty's, Al is STILL absorbing and recreating aviation history...much of it being the stuff that was (or is) overshadowed by the headliners.  So here is his latest project: a B-17 that drops a life boat instead of bombs.  

This was a partnership deal:  Al does all the hard work of building and setting up 'Dumbo', while I show up with my key fob cameras, a roll of scotch tape to install them, then test-fly his beautiful airplane.  

This is what we got during the 17's first flight, with video from the ground and two airborne cameras in Dumbo.  One camera was taped to the nose (which worked), with another one actually in the lifeboat, pointed up---which apparently was scared so badly that it turned itself off.  

Dumbo's CG must have been located somewhere back of the trailing edge, and I spent most of the flight with the elevator stick bumping the top of it's frame.  My friend Brent jumped in, getting on the elevator trim, and taking it to it's forward stop, which reduced the 17's temperament to just below that of a rabid bobcat.  

The whole episode scrambled me so badly that I forgot which transmitter lever raised the gear and dropped the boat...and I wanted BADLY to drop the boat.  So Al came over, waited for me to get Dumbo in a somewhat level pass, then flicked the switch.  The boat clung to the bomber just long enough for me to imagine a scenario of it releasing on landing and vaulting the plane onto it's back, but then snapped loose, complete with a good chute. SUCCESS!

The bomber was still suicidal, but maybe a bit more friendly now that it was shy of it's cargo.  I opted to put it in the grass along side the runway, fearing the dreaded bounce...Bounce...BOUNCE...CRUNCH maneuver the hard surface offered.  So it just swished into the grass, assuming a very scale-like "Crash-Landed B-17" pose.

Brent and his family had showed up with some of his planes to join in the fun.  Brent's in the process of changing careers...from dragging the gear of a turbine Air Tractor through beans and rice fields, to flying for an airline.  Hmm...and I always thought he was afraid of heights...

Brent survived a mid-air collision with his father, Buster, who was flying another Air Tractor.  His dad lost the landing gear strut that severed the tail of Brent's Air Tractor. Brent was saved only by the fact that he was flying low to begin with, and was able to pancake the duster without it flipping.  Even still, he was badly injured and trapped in the Tractor.  His brother Corey literally boosted him up and out as fire engulfed the plane.

Buster dumped his plane on the strip he'd just left and ran to crash site, helping Corey move Brent farther away from the duster.

Brent went through a lengthy rehab, and jokes that he must have gotten his hands on his phone while he was still pretty doped-up.  He was surprised to find a Saito Three-Cylinder Radial waiting for him when he got home!  So, he got the Stearman to give it something to pull around the sky.

Anyway, we had us a great flying day, and here are some photos:

More Flying with Mr. Al...The Video !!! 1_12

More Flying with Mr. Al...The Video !!! 2_12

More Flying with Mr. Al...The Video !!! 3_11

More Flying with Mr. Al...The Video !!! 7_10

More Flying with Mr. Al...The Video !!! 7_111

More Flying with Mr. Al...The Video !!! 7_210

More Flying with Mr. Al...The Video !!! 7_310

More Flying with Mr. Al...The Video !!! 7_410

More Flying with Mr. Al...The Video !!! 7_510

More Flying with Mr. Al...The Video !!! 5_10

Shades of 'Twelve O'Clock High'

More Flying with Mr. Al...The Video !!! 6_11

A family affair:

More Flying with Mr. Al...The Video !!! 9_010

More Flying with Mr. Al...The Video !!! 9_210

More Flying with Mr. Al...The Video !!! 9_410

Brent Gets Ramp-Checked

More Flying with Mr. Al...The Video !!! 9_310

More Flying with Mr. Al...The Video !!! 8_12

Last edited by Kim on Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:00 pm; edited 6 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

More Flying with Mr. Al...The Video !!! Empty Re: More Flying with Mr. Al...The Video !!!

Post  dckrsn Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:34 pm

Wow! Great post, Kim.
Loved the story, photos, and Emerson has
the hands on hips thing DOWN. That's a good look.
Thanks,
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

More Flying with Mr. Al...The Video !!! Empty Re: More Flying with Mr. Al...The Video !!!

Post  Kim Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:55 pm

Thanks Bob,

Yeah, Brent's definitely got it all going on. I somehow missed taking photos of his beautiful wife, Leslie, and their daughter, whose name I can't remember.

We got more flying planned.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Sep 25, 2016 6:45 am

dckrsn wrote:Wow! Great post, Kim.
Thanks,
  Bob

Looks like his Dad has the "Watters World" collar up look down too. Todays "with it" look guys.

Liked the B-17, all electric I would think?

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:00 am

It good to hear Al is keeping you busy lol! , man that is pretty wild he put a boat under that B-17 that looks great by the way to parachute to the ground, all he needed was some little men coming out of it . I know don't give him no ideas! I think you did a great job of keeping that baby in the air as It being a handful with the attached cargo . Do you ask Al what it is he wants to drop stuff from planes for ? Humm because I can ! Laughing RC Plane Nice fleet Brent has too and Emerson is the up and coming new pilot I am sure . Thanks Kim sounds like a real fun and exciting DaY . tongue
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:24 am

rsv1cox wrote:
dckrsn wrote:Wow! Great post, Kim.
Thanks,
  Bob

Looks like his Dad has the "Watters World" collar up look down too.  Todays "with it" look guys.  

Liked the B-17, all electric I would think?

Bob

Yeah, Dumbo's all electric. He told me the name and size of the motors, but I can't seem to retain electro-orientated data.

Hmm...didn't notice Brent's collar...if I had, probably would have figured he missed it when he put his shirt on! Shows how 'with it' I am!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:38 am

getback wrote:It good to hear Al is keeping you busy lol! , man that is pretty wild he put a boat under that B-17 that looks great by the way to parachute to the ground, all he needed was some little men coming out of it . I know don't give him no ideas! I think you did a great job of keeping that baby in the air as It being a handful with the attached cargo . Do you ask Al what it is he wants to drop stuff from planes for ? Humm because I can ! Laughing RC Plane Nice fleet Brent has too and Emerson is the up and coming new pilot I am sure . Thanks Kim sounds like a real fun and exciting DaY . tongue

One of our similarities is that we've both spent a lot of time designing stuff to be dropped form the sky.

Another of Al's projects was a WWII Russian bomber that packed a couple miniature fighters for it's protection.  Gonna check the archives for that one, but only have static photos.  The little fighter/gliders he built for the Antonov proved to be troublesome to track down as they either flew away or landed on top of his hangar.

I once added a droppable engine to a Midwest Lil 'T sailplane.   The glide ratio was no problem there and, since the chute occasionally failed,  it made watching gliders a lot more exciting....

More Flying with Mr. Al...The Video !!! Lil_t_12

More Flying with Mr. Al...The Video !!! Lil_t_10

More Flying with Mr. Al...The Video !!! Lil_t_11
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:03 am

Hey Kim, as per usual; a great flying report! Al's B-17 is awesome! You mentioned a lag after the release mechanism was activated. Huh... .. I'd think that the air-stream is pressing the hull up against the B-17's belly during flight. I'll bet that mounting a compression-spring to the belly, to bear-on a pad on the inside of the boat would assist in "ejecting" it.. rather than just relying on gravity. Maybe simply attaching a "flap" to the top/bow of the boat might be enough to make its bow "flip-down" on release?

Just brainstorming here.. you know I love this stuff too!!!

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:59 am

Hey Roddie,

I could see where it might cause that, but it looks like his rubber band release mechanism bound up for a moment because, once the the band releases, the boat falls cleanly away.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wexp_kAl7Y4&feature=youtu.be
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Sep 26, 2016 5:30 pm

Kim wrote:Hey Roddie,

I could see where it might cause that, but it looks like his rubber band release mechanism bound up for a moment because, once the the band releases, the boat falls cleanly away.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wexp_kAl7Y4&feature=youtu.be

Kim, I can't access the vid or via the link. It's listed as "private". Maybe I could view it by signing-in.. but I haven't been able to sign-in to my YouTube account for a quite a while.. Mad Google's changes have made it so; that my old login/PW doesn't work anymore..

When I replied with ideas for the raft-release.. I had to stop myself from mentioning another project for "Al".. or "you and Al".. Laughing (I'm an instigator... don't you know)

Another great 4-engine/motor utility model aircraft would be the C-130. Imagine the cargo that could be dropped!! For starters.. a dump-tray of miniature paratroopers with chutes!!! How about a dump-tray sized to fit a 1:18 scale RC Humvee with shoot "and" 4 paratroopers! The pitman could have a separate radio for the Humvee. Equip the Humvee with a tail-hook to retrieve the shroud-lines of the paratroopers on the ground.. and drag them back to the base.. Laughing

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:01 pm

No luck on the video for me either Kim! Shame on you. Very Happy
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:36 pm

Well shoot...sorry...let's try this again...

https://youtu.be/Wexp_kAl7Y4
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:59 pm

WICKED COOL VID!!! Thanks so much for sharing Kim! I mentioned paratroopers as a fun utility application. Last year I found these little guys in the kid's birthday  "party-favor" section at the store. They were cheap enough.. and I couldn't resist!

More Flying with Mr. Al...The Video !!! Paratr10
More Flying with Mr. Al...The Video !!! Paratr11

Attaching the shroud-lines might be a little tedious.. but could probably be done quickly with hot-melt glue.. as opposed to tying. I haven't unfolded the chutes to check their shape/diameter.. but I'd guess it to be about 12". I loved these things as a kid.. and the thought of seeing them dropped from a model airplane from a few hundred feet, excites me even now! I'll bet that between 6-8 of this size could lay flat in that life-boat. If used as a "tray" without a chute; it would dispatch the boys on release, in a spectacular display! I used to make my own chutes for my model rockets, from large plastic shopping-bags.. decorated using permanent markers. I lost a few rockets due to the integrity of the chutes on a breezy day. I usually used 8 of the reinforcements used for paper-sheets in 3-ring binders to attach/tie four shroud-lines to the chute.. looped-through the nose-cone. These chutes were super-lightweight.. and deployed quickly.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down