Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Synthetic control-line electrical conductivity Cox_ba12

Synthetic control-line electrical conductivity Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 6:22 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by dan vincent Today at 6:15 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Today at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Synthetic control-line electrical conductivity Empty
Live on Patrol

Synthetic control-line electrical conductivity

Go down

Synthetic control-line electrical conductivity Empty Synthetic control-line electrical conductivity

Post  roddie Fri Oct 14, 2016 9:52 pm

Has anyone read any info on this? We all know the dangers of electrocution when flying control-line models in the vicinity of overhead electrical wires. The warnings are prevalent.. and appear on kit-instructions, control-line packaging .. publications.. etc. with some warnings stating that direct-contact is not necessary to inflict a lethal electrical-shock hazard. I'd like to know without a doubt; whether using the newer synthetic-braid lines is safe. If they're in fact non-conductive; would this dispel that concern? For decades.. the standard for control-line models has been stranded-stainless steel.. which obviously is an electrical-conductor. Maybe even "Dacron" is electrically-conductive? Huh...  

Naturally.. you don't want your airplane to become entangled in anything during its flight.. but it would allow much more freedom for many of us who could possibly fly in our own yards.. if we didn't have to worry about coming too close.. even to just the wires that connect to the house from the pole out on the street.

Kites are commonly sold.. and have no such warnings.. and I'm sure that they commonly come in contact with electrical service wires.

I want this thread to evoke awareness... rather than implying any suggestion of a "green-light" for flying in the proximity of electrical lines.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Synthetic control-line electrical conductivity Empty Re: Synthetic control-line electrical conductivity

Post  batjac Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:00 pm

Roddie,

As I posted at the end of the "Spectra line for 1/2A?" thread, I'd not fly near power lines with Spectra or any other type of braided line. While the line itself may not be conductive, the line could be coated with moisture from the air as you fly, moisture from the ground as you lay out your lines before starting your plane, grease and oil absorbed in the lines from flying over time, static electricity in the air, etc. I shudder at the thought of getting lines near/tangled in power lines.

Crying or Very sad

The Safety Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Synthetic control-line electrical conductivity Empty Re: Synthetic control-line electrical conductivity

Post  Mark Boesen Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:17 pm

One time as a kid our normal flying area was occupied and we went around to the front of the school, it was tight and there were power lines to the west, but i wanted to fly...first lap around i got zapped, not enough to hurt, but was more than kinda 'concerned'...couldn't wait for the tank to run out!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:43 pm

Electricity always takes the path of least resistance. If you think about it, you the pilot are a big insulator, unless you fly barefoot while raining in a puddle of water...

If your handle is a style that has an exposed steel cable that touches your palm it is possible to get nailed, again think least resistance... unless you have a cable in each hand it's not going to go through your body across your heart. Who will feel it in your hand and forearm if it has enough voltage it will knock you away.

It's the current that kills though,not the voltage.

So, I highly doubt Spectra is a conductor, a quick test would be to build a circuit using the Spectra as wire. Betcha it won't work, get it wet, still betcha it won't work. If you have a variable power source crank it up probably still won't work. Spectra is a polyethylene product, it acts as an insulator.

Would I fly near power lines? Heck no.

Ron

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Synthetic control-line electrical conductivity Empty Positive ion charched (+), negativelly ion charged (-) , ferrous - non ferrous, organic, materials, VS. Insulators, conductors, resistance vs capacitance

Post  Quasi-Flyer Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:02 pm

Two Cents   I'm not gonna lecture or sound  Fireworks  Smoking  bounce  confused  Werd  Repost  Horsing Around just trying to sound like a rocket/scientist.  
inflated king size  afro    Razz

Trying to teach what I just heard  Stereo   and   Cya  teach the experts how it is done now....    Muchas Gracias

WTF Did He Say?    

What I Meant To Say

)
  Sleeping at Computer  Money Toss  Burning Cash  Head Bang  

Ideas TMI overload   afro  Crazy Eyes  Blow up Mad!

different materials are conductive (Silver, Gold, (alumiun, alum-ini-um, Aluminum) ...

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/m%C3%A1s_sabe_el_diablo_por_viejo_que_por_diablo

Cribbs74  Good Idea  

has a good point.  

and when it comes with electricity Voltage ( Arrow Force), watts, Amps ( Charge current), , conductors, inductors
, (Iron, wire/Coil, heating elements
** Capacitive charge example:  Capacitors,
or  insulators (Glass
   Ferrous, Iron, and non conductive, yet,  and others create static charge.  even the best insulators (glass or plastic) can get charged when there is:
contact (spark) - welding: cathode / anode  , friction bad connection (short out) , or bridge the air gap at certain proximity - Arc,  lightning

I hope I don't sound like ''The Clear Eyes Commercial  and   Doh! confused   Tired w/ Coffee Read   Huh...

it all depends on so many variables .... air pressure, relative humidity, temperature, materials that carry (Conductive: how easy electrons flow/Travel -)  a current energy - (amps, watts) charge

Rub wool or rabbit hair on any piece of glass or Candles ( Wax = Paraffin ) Your skin and fir or  nylon carpet..

Propeller : Nylon, -polystyrene , polyester resin,  carbon fiber  

Carbon State properties, (Conductive conbined with other metal alloys, Capacitive (graphine graphite) Powder -  (Holds more free electrons than most)

A Diamond  --- pure carbon tightly bonded with little room for ion flow, slows and diverts light and surface extremely hard and non porous.

electricity only travels on surface, not the core....  More wire surface --- Fine stranded cables have a higher capacity to carry a current,
high gauge thicker core tolerate more heat,

dry air and nylon propellers = static charge,

best advice I could say, stick with the Original control line specs,

Cribbs74 advice about electricity and the shortest path could be a path trough you or worse, head or hearth.
 If you must fly with the new control line requirements have a ground path from the line before it is near you.
Keep a hand on pocket or wear an anti-static grist band to your legs,  Hats Off
Quasi-Flyer
Quasi-Flyer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down