Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

battery for field-box Cox_ba12

battery for field-box Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

battery for field-box Empty
Live on Patrol

battery for field-box

Go down

battery for field-box Empty battery for field-box

Post  roddie Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:12 pm

I asked if I could have two of several 12V lead-acid accumulators that had been received AVR (decommissioned) computer server-components that we deal with where I work. Boss said "no problem".

battery for field-box Yuasa_10
battery for field-box Yuasa_11

They're big batteries.. Laughing Yuasa has been the standard motorcycle starter-battery ever since I can remember. I need to load-test them to get an idea of their condition. What I assume are the date-codes.. are those 01-05 stickers on top.

I like the idea of being mobile while modeling. What I mean by this is; being able to go anywhere.. while having remote power-options to sustain your activities. An inverter would run an iron.... a Dremel.. a stereo!

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

battery for field-box Empty Re: battery for field-box

Post  pkrankow Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:40 pm

11 year old batteries... good luck.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:06 pm

these type of sealed batteries last a long time, same type used in emergency lights, I've use 7ah batteries for flight box and last one was way over 10 when i replaced it, i do however doubt that they'll still hold 17ah, but to run a starter, glow driver (whats that?) you should be good, iron...not so much.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  bamboozler Tue Nov 08, 2016 5:44 am

They have not bounced around in a vehicle for years so that's good and they are also clean with no cross leaks going on over the years from an oily/dirty film, another plus. Give 'em a try!
bamboozler
bamboozler
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

battery for field-box Empty They may be sealed...

Post  VUgearhead Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:16 am

but that doesn't mean you can't get into them. Those covers can be popped off pretty easily. You can then check the electrolyte levels and add distilled water as needed. I have rejuvenated UPS batteries this way and they are/were sealed as well.
VUgearhead
VUgearhead
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:23 am

I over the course of a few years have a lot of the 12Vdc 7AH bats out of my 7 home use UPS's...

Many are over 7 years old and still charge and hold just fine for my infrequent needs

They are ALSO great building weights

The only ones I do the recycle thing with are any that show bulging or cracks in the case
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:32 pm

Thank You for the comments guys. These batteries weigh a whopping 13lbs. each.. but if I build a field-box for one, it will wheel like a dolly and have a detachable-handle for ease of transporting in the car. If these batteries won't hold a charge.. I'll just bring them back to work for their original recycling destiny. They didn't cost me anything. I've had two Hobbico TorqueMaster 12V 7Ah lead-calcium field-box batteries.. and neither one lasted very long.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterJGregory Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:14 pm

I bought these off ebay and I have them driving glow plugs fine off a 12V battery.

https://goo.gl/fOaGP5

Just solder gozinta and gozouta wires on and you're rolling.
PeterJGregory
PeterJGregory
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:41 pm

PeterJGregory wrote:I bought these off ebay and I have them driving glow plugs fine off a 12V battery.

https://goo.gl/fOaGP5

Just solder gozinta and gozouta wires on and you're rolling.

Only $.89 each in a Qty of 10? Seems like a fair deal. But, but...how do you control the "adjustable"  step down voltage?  Does 12v in automatically make 1.5 volt out?
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterJGregory Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:48 am

There is a small precision potentiometer on the circuit board.

https://servimg.com/view/19403788/33
PeterJGregory
PeterJGregory
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:35 am

Funny i had a guy give me one this size and two smaller 12v batteries from the same kind of operation were the computer MUST have the correct AMPS at all times for back up , he checks them and if not up to par changes them . Just the right size for lawn mower and field boxes Very Happy Dam Peter i wish i would have known this part was so easy available i tossed a power panel because it was blowing glows with too much voltage ! Sad
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterJGregory Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:30 am

Yup - the glow drivers on the power panels don't have much, if any overcurrent protection. I wrote those panels off fast for driving glow, at least.
So far the little voltage regulator circuit has worked fine. You can use them with LIPO's in the field.
PeterJGregory
PeterJGregory
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:20 pm

Geez.. I've never had problems with the glow-driver in my Tower (Hobbico) power-panel.. and it's over 25 years old. Mine has the usual analog ammeter/needle scale with 3A being at the top of the "green-scale". I've never exceeded that point. I always assumed it was accurate. I haven't experienced what you'd call a high-rate of glow-plug failures.. at least with the genuine Cox glow-head.

Regulators are something I'm very interested in lately. My application would be for reducing the 6.6V of a LiFe receiver battery, down to 5-6V for the avg. Rx. I just wouldn't run the system on the hope that the +.6V wouldn't fry my Rx...

It's good to know that there's regulators out there.  Thumbs Up
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  PeterJGregory Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:26 pm

I should restate my problem with the panels. I make a lot of craigslist hauls that come with a flight box or flight boxes thrown in, and I find that most  of the glow drivers are blown, for some reason. Whether that comes from disuse and storage in less than ideal environmental conditions, I don't know. Simple light oxidation of terminals, even rust on some parts might contribute to that.

When I did get a panel that worked, I believe I zapped it with a glow head clip for 1/2A that I didn't notice would close all the way when not connected to a glow head, i.e. short out. As a guy that does do some electronics maybe I have a higher rate of failure by "trying new things out." If you use the glow charger with only regular glow plugs, the contacts are set apart very well and things like that don't happen. Doing things by the book has its merits!

I have some current meters coming from China via ebay to try out with the voltage regulatorsbattery for field-box Amp-vo10

The LiFe voltage drop to what you need is pretty slim - I would have to look up the specs on the circuit to see what the lowest voltage drop it supports would be. You might solve your challenge with a simple zener diode, or other diode.
PeterJGregory
PeterJGregory
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:56 pm

I also have a Hobbico power-panel that someone gave to me a few years ago. I haven't needed it.. so I haven't tried it yet. I've always kept my model-related electronic gear in the house. I could see how an un-insulated garage/out-building might not be the best place for storage.

Stepping-down voltage with a diode (as you mentioned, Peter..) sounds familiar. You may have mentioned it previously in another thread. I posted a while back, about putting together a lightweight 1/2A RC flight-pack. I bought a 2S (6.6V) 200mAh LiFe Rx pack that is a tiny 1" x 1" x 1/2" and weighs just 15gr. and is planned to power x4 nano-servos and the Rx.

See below.. the whole system-weight in grams. Hobbico does mention the possibility of needing a voltage-regulator in the battery-circuit to protect the servos/Rx. The fully-charged voltage of a LiFe cell is 3.6V. The 2S pack would have a fully-charged voltage of 7.2V. which is too high for my system as configured. I'd feel much more comfortable with a 1V step-down.. however that can be achieved.

battery for field-box Dsc02410
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:44 am

Too lazy to look all of them up but because of the voltages with the new batteries vs Alkaline/NICD (OK,not so new now)...there are lots of different step down add ons (some very small and cheap) or even built into to many ESC along with some newer TX/RX and servos accepting the 6/7vdc ranges

HK stuff is hard to find for me but I would look there first

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down