Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Pressure tap back plate 049 Cox_ba12

Pressure tap back plate 049 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 9:29 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Pressure tap back plate 049 Empty
Live on Patrol

Pressure tap back plate 049

Go down

Pressure tap back plate 049 Empty Pressure tap back plate 049

Post  steve thornton Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:46 am

I recently bought a Tee Dee and aMedallion .049. Both are new and in the Cox Hobbies, Inc original box. Here's my question; the back plate has a mark for a pressure tap & I don't know if that is a "drill here" location or what...none of my other TD's/Medallions have this feature. Should I drill and tap this or just leave it alone? Any advice..
Thanks guys,
Steve
steve thornton
steve thornton
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Pressure tap back plate 049 Empty Re: Pressure tap back plate 049

Post  KariFS Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:25 am

I think the mark, if it is in the middle, is just a centerpoint or such left by the manufacturing process in a super fast automatic lathe.

The pressurizing point is on the right side of the carb body, you need to take the engine apart and drill through both the plastic part and the crankcase to make the pressure point operational.

Please note, my first point comes from my background in engineering, the second from the engine manual Smile I have no personal experience on pressurizing, but I know some people have drilled the backplate too.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:05 pm

steve thornton wrote:I recently bought a Tee Dee and aMedallion .049.  Both are new and in the Cox Hobbies, Inc original box.  Here's my question;  the back plate has a mark for a pressure tap & I don't know if that is a "drill here" location or what...none of my other TD's/Medallions have this feature.  Should I drill and tap this or just leave it alone?  Any advice..
Thanks guys,
Steve

Steve, I would leave it alone. If it is just a mark, the material in the back plate is not thick enough to support a pressure tap.
As mentioned, the pressure tap on a TD is on the side of the crankshaft housing.
Unless you have a specific need for crank case pressure, you would be much better off using a bladder setup. Using any type of pressure requires you to get a fine-thread needle valve setup.
BTW, here is a back plate made for pressure tap:  
Pressure tap back plate 049 Img_0110  

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  steve thornton Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:36 pm

gcb wrote:
steve thornton wrote:I recently bought a Tee Dee and aMedallion .049.  Both are new and in the Cox Hobbies, Inc original box.  Here's my question;  the back plate has a mark for a pressure tap & I don't know if that is a "drill here" location or what...none of my other TD's/Medallions have this feature.  Should I drill and tap this or just leave it alone?  Any advice..
Thanks guys,
Steve

Steve, I would leave it alone. If it is just a mark, the material in the back plate is not thick enough to support a pressure tap.
As mentioned, the pressure tap on a TD is on the side of the crankshaft housing.
Unless you have a specific need for crank case pressure, you would be much better off using a bladder setup. Using any type of pressure requires you to get a fine-thread needle valve setup.
BTW, here is a back plate made for pressure tap:  
Pressure tap back plate 049 Img_0110  

George
Thanks for the advice George and Kari. I have decided to leave it alone. From what I have read, the benefit to back plate pressure vs the crank pressure is an increased and more consistent pressure. My machine skills are even more undeveloped than my inverted flight skills, so these pretty little engines will remain original.
Thanks again for your help!
Steve
steve thornton
steve thornton
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down