Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Ace RC Littlest Stik w/ Pee Wee .020 - Rudder Only Cox_ba12

Ace RC Littlest Stik w/ Pee Wee .020 - Rudder Only Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Ace RC Littlest Stik w/ Pee Wee .020 - Rudder Only Empty
Live on Patrol

Ace RC Littlest Stik w/ Pee Wee .020 - Rudder Only

Go down

Ace RC Littlest Stik w/ Pee Wee .020 - Rudder Only Empty Ace RC Littlest Stik w/ Pee Wee .020 - Rudder Only

Post  xplaneguy Mon Dec 19, 2016 9:59 pm

Here's a video of my Pee Wee .020 powered Ace RC Littlest Stik, flying at SMALL 2016. Fun little plane! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLdlBZA1PMA

Ace RC Littlest Stik w/ Pee Wee .020 - Rudder Only Img_3813

Last edited by xplaneguy on Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
xplaneguy
xplaneguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=263724

Back to top Go down

Ace RC Littlest Stik w/ Pee Wee .020 - Rudder Only Empty Re: Ace RC Littlest Stik w/ Pee Wee .020 - Rudder Only

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:25 pm

That rudder only stuff is pretty neat. If or when I go to Edwards you'll have to show me in person.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Ace RC Littlest Stik w/ Pee Wee .020 - Rudder Only Empty Re: Ace RC Littlest Stik w/ Pee Wee .020 - Rudder Only

Post  xplaneguy Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:28 pm

Anytime Cribbs74! Smile
xplaneguy
xplaneguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:58 pm

xplaneguy wrote:Here's a video of my Pee Wee .020 powered Ace RC Littlest Stik, flying at SMALL 2016. Fun little plane! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLdlBZA1PMA

Ace RC Littlest Stik w/ Pee Wee .020 - Rudder Only Img_3813

Ahhh !! But how wonderful! ... how cute it goes !, and that Pee Wee with propeller tripala and red cone !! ?? Will be brother of mine? Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy  .... Excellent Tony, I congratulate you, a big hug from Argentina! Clapping

Ace RC Littlest Stik w/ Pee Wee .020 - Rudder Only Fhd00310
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  xplaneguy Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:01 am

Thank you Mauricio....my friend! Glad you like it! Smile

Warm regards from California!
Tony
xplaneguy
xplaneguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:39 am

Nice flight Tony , She really scoots around good and seems to have good control! When i was first tring to learn RC back as barely a teen (rudder only) was hard for me to comprehend the concept of turn one way is up and the other was down , crashed into the school once then finally blew the batteries up charging ? / blew a hole in the side of the plane and without $$ well i don't remember what happened to it . Wish i still had the pulse command that was in it ! Seems it was a skylark or something like it Big plane Laughing Christmas Tree
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:27 am

Mighty fine flying machine there, Mr. Spirit of S.M.A.L.L. !!!
My favorite part is that it's not a 'ceremonial flyer'...no big deal....just an everyday fuel-and-go single flapper !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  xplaneguy Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:35 pm

Thanks Gents!

Kim-I agree! I love simplicity of these little models and the thrill of a good running engine. Nothing even comes close. Small Cox Logo RC Plane
xplaneguy
xplaneguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:46 pm

Very nice. Looks like a lot of fun. But, I have to ask. How do you control altitude with rudder only? Or is the elevator/horizontal stab at a slight fixed angle? Thank you.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  xplaneguy Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:57 pm

Thank you NEW222.

Yes sir, the horizontal is fixed and you're along for the ride! Wink
xplaneguy
xplaneguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:17 pm

Actually you should be able to control elevation somewhat by the rudder, remember when you bank its gonna drop a little, I remember reading of the guys back in the day doing loops, etc. with rudder only.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:22 pm

Tony, out of curiosity, you measured the rpm of the engine with that shovel ??, it would be nice to know that fuel in percentages you use and the RPM that Pee Wee delivers Huh... Huh...
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:24 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:Actually you should be able to control elevation somewhat by the rudder, remember when you bank its gonna drop a little, I remember reading of the guys back in the day doing loops, etc. with rudder only.

True. Flying rudder only is a blast, and one can maintain full control over the flight pattern. Just a touch of rudder, plane will still climb but not as much as in straight flight. More, and nose starts to dip a little, picking up speed. Slight turn into the wind will kill the speed and plane starts to climb again.

Give full rudder, usually one way more than the other, plane enters a spiral dive picking up speed. Neutralize or give a touch opposite rudder to stop the spiral, plane loops. Sometimes you can do 2 loops, but the second one will be less pronounced, sometimes plane enters stall on up swing and flops over.

After spiral dive, nose points up, hit rudder and one can barrel roll.

Gliding in dead stick, kick the rudder when near runway, picks up speed and can make it flair on landing.

Rudder only taught me how to judge sink rate during dead stick, so I could land plane within 15 feet of me.

One can fly R/O in winds up to 15 mph. Shim the wing trailing edge (on a high wing) to reduce decalage, or shim elevator. Plane will not climb as quickly but will be more manageable. Glides tend to be faster and at a steeper angle.

Only thing is where I live now is not conducive to R/O because field is windy most the time, oft exceeding 15 mph.
I miss R/O flight. Lighting The Tree
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:03 am

Couldn't get it's dinosaur radio to work at S.M.A.L.L., but maybe THIS year!  

This is my Cal Smith Blunderbus free flight replica, flying with an .010 and a single Cannon servo back in the day.   I made the wing crutches a little longer to make it easy to adjust it's CG by the sliding the wing (sheet balsa glider style) to marks previously figured to allow for a changing wind speeds.

I flew it a lot and gradually got to where I could land it pretty close each time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1I5-kCRUWU
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:43 pm

That's a really nice flyer, Kim, very smooth and scale like.

I was interested more in doing R/O acrobatics, climb was set to about 15 degrees. Most aerobatic was the 39" span top Flite Schoolmaster. It was sheet balsa, wings were covered with 1/20" thick sheet balsa. Finished with a couple coats of clear dope trimmed in orange dope, it was extremely light, albeit somewhat fragile. With an OS Max .10R/C on a 2 oz. Sullivan clunk tank, I flew it rudder only with auxiliary quick blip sequential Hi - Med - Lo back to Hi motor control.

The Schoolmaster was designed for .049, plans showed an earlier throttle version Medallion and also Golden Bee. With the OS, full throttle provided a spectacular climb out at 45 degrees. At half throttle, it flew .049 like. Nice thing about idle is one could glide down, attempt touch and goes.

Outerzone has managed to capture the plane in all its glory.

http://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=7534

Had many flights out of it, but crash landed it (rough landings) enough in the Hawaiian tropical breezes that repairs became too numerous and finally retired it.

When Cox came out with the .049 R/C Bee, I put it in a Sterling Minnie Mambo with the same radio as the Schoolmaster. The Mambo is a real fun flyer with its short coupled elevator to wing, stunts really well. I rebuilt it several years ago from its last crash in the 1980's, just need to finish the radio installation. I put a Norvel Big Mig .061 RC with extended clunk mount tank in it.

That one ought to be a really hot flyer.

Ace RC Littlest Stik w/ Pee Wee .020 - Rudder Only Minnie10
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  xplaneguy Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:21 pm

Mark-I was just being facetious about the "along of the ride" comment. I don't take this stuff too serious, just having fun.  

Mauricio-I'm not a guy who checks RPM, I just experiment with props, get them running good and fly them. The more time the models are in the air, the happier I am.

Kim-Your Blunderbus is a favorite of mine! I've probably watched that video more than any other you've posted. The "BOT over Olmstead" would be a close second. Your videos are so inspirational and a big reason why Evelyn and I have made the trip to SMALL the past two years. I so missed the thrill of 1/2A flying and longed for those simple days of my youth. Your videos were the huge spark that re-ignited my passion....in a big way! The best part is that 1/2A flying is much better now due to the affordable light weight radio gear. Thank you my friend, I'm forever grateful!

Santa
xplaneguy
xplaneguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:29 pm

xplaneguy wrote:
Mauricio-I'm not a guy who checks RPM, I just experiment with props, get them running good and fly them. The more time the models are in the air, the happier I am.

Hey Tony !, I understand you enjoy flying! And that's what makes you happy! I totally agree! Just that I am doing some research to achieve performance and very good performance in Pee Wee engines, take full advantage of them and enjoy them to the full. I have seen that there are differences between some engines and others and that marks a substantial difference in performance. That is new to me, but I managed to arouse interest. I'll show you some things I did in my rehearsals. RC Plane
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:03 am

George , sounds like you know your stuff on the R/O fling the Minnie Mambo looks nice and should do the trick in the air. Get you Kim and Tony together would bee a blast i am sure RC Plane I like that Blunderbus also it seems so docile in the air but stable . I have really got to get some r/c in the air seems going round and round is not as easy as it use to bee Shh

Last edited by getback on Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : cant spell? docile!)
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:58 am

Thanks, Eric, for the kind comments. Yes, Minnie with the Norvel ought to provide sparkling performance. With modern servos, throttle with such power will add a nice touch. Being light, it ought to be loads of fun. Haven't given up totally on rudder only, have several rudder only kits unbuilt, 40" Midwest Bebe Jodel, 50" Andrews S-Ray, 46" Airco Zaic Aero Sport, 30" Scientific Shoestring Racer.

Aero Sport:

Ace RC Littlest Stik w/ Pee Wee .020 - Rudder Only Aerost12
Ace RC Littlest Stik w/ Pee Wee .020 - Rudder Only Aerost13

This Frank Zaic design is a really odd one with swept wings but ought to be a really fantastic performer with a .15 engine.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down