Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Mosquito, finished Cox_ba12

Mosquito, finished Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 7:00 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by dan vincent Today at 6:15 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Today at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Mosquito, finished Empty
Live on Patrol

Mosquito, finished

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Mosquito, finished Empty Mosquito, finished

Post  rsv1cox Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:02 pm

Almost.  I still haven't added the decals and some touching up.  

I still have to finish the lead outs and I always debate how to terminate them either in just loops or add permanent swivels to the loops.  I have done it both ways, swivels on the model and on the lines.  Doesn't make much difference but is there a preferred way?  Also, I'm thinking of using 52' steel lines????

My camo job leaves much to be desired, but the basic air-frame turned out well.  The balance point even with those two Enyas up front is near on.  I ran both engines on the test stand, one ran perfect the other would not.  It took a tear-down and an A/F boil to fix it, but now it exceeds the other.  I mounted it inside.  

Any help on that lead out question would be appreciated.  It's almost a go............ Smile

Mosquito, finished Mossy_10

Somehow my camera or the lighting pixellates the paint which is really a dark camo olive drab.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Mosquito, finished Empty Re: Mosquito, finished

Post  akjgardner Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:58 pm

looking Good
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  londke3 Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:12 pm

I built the same plane powered with Norvel .061's. Flew it on 45' lines. Very fast and fun to fly. I would caution you though about the nacelles being weak. I built mine stock and found out the hard way on it's maiden flight. The outboard engine nacelle, tank and all, departed and flew about 100 yards, engine still running until it hit the trees. It broke in a straight line right behind the doublers. I beefed both nacelles up with some triangular bass and haven't had a problem since. One other thing, when it gets ready to quit make sure you are low, it glides like a brick. On pavement or VERY short grass it will roll out. Anything else it will flip on landing. Have fun! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJ6n35yB8AU
londke3
londke3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  londke3 Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:15 pm

Very Happy
londke3
londke3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:30 pm

It's a knockout. I love the paint job.

For the leadout terminations, I recommend not using swivels. They are more prone to wear and breaking than other methods. My own preferred method is brass thimbles and copper-wrapping the steel lines. I usually wrap with 28 gauge wire about 5/8" inches and cover with heat-shrink. I'll find a tutorial if you need one, and it's not hard to do a neat job.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:36 pm

I think I'd be making the first flight on one engine if the speed of the Norvels is anything to go on.  Man that thing moves!!!
Once one cut out it dropped to what I'd consider a managable speed.

Bob, if you're worried about geting dizzy (and I know you are) I'd suggest long lines and rich mixtures for a start.  Looks to me like two Black Widows would be more than enough power to make some fun.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:10 pm

Bob,
It sure looks great! I like the colors. Show us with spinners, please.

We want videos! Capture that maiden flight.

Once you fly:
What size tanks did you settle on? How long do Enya .09s run on your tanks? Have you got someone timing your laps so we can get a speed estimate?

Thanks,
Jim in MS
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:56 pm

Looks like it turned out pretty nice!

Remember, good looking planes always fly great!

Good luck on the maiden flight!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:01 am

LOOKS GREAT BOB!! I think you did a good job on the model man and what Rod said on the rich run , Mikes was moving on , Heck i would like to see the toutor video Rusty! This Site Rocks! Thumbs Up Thumbs Up
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:28 am

Thanks guys.

I watched Mikes video with those Norvels.  Cool Mike smoking a cigarette while doing wing-overs. Smile  Not me, more like a death grip on the handle.  I won't even attempt to fly it before I destroy a few lesser models in a re-learning process.  My son will make the maiden.  

I am concerned about a nacelle breaking off clean at the wings leading edge and "departing the aircraft".  Jim re-enforced his from the beginning, I didn't.  If it happens, I will just cut a new one from the plans and try again assuming there is enough left of the plane to do so.

Thanks Rusty, I will terminate the lead-outs with loops.  I didn't wire wrap mine, I just crimped a piece of tubing and bent the bitter end back over the crimp.  In the past, I have always flown everything greater than .049's on 52' lines.  All I had.  35's all the way down to .15's, never thought a thing about it.  

I am not a creative or artsy person even after a life time of trying. Sad.  I robbed this picture off the net in an attempt to paint the Mossy in some sort of acceptable pattern unique to the aircraft failing miserably.  Smile  But I gave myself points for trying. Smile

Mosquito, finished Mos_fi10

Mistake alert.  I sealed it with two coats of sanding sealer and primed with Lustrekote primer.  Then used Krylon satin Almond as the base followed by Krylon ultra-flat camouflage.  Not sure of the fuel resistant qualities of the Krylons I wanted to top coat it with crystal clear Lustrekote first testing it on a sample that worked ok.  

But starting on the underside of the air-frame, engine mounts and fuel tanks I noticed some crinkling of the paint.  Not good.  It was crinkling on some spots but not on others.  So I stopped and determined that it was reacting to the adhesive left from the frog masking tape that I used when I pulled it off, a perfect match in those areas.  Good thing I didn't use it on the top of the wing as I used a lot of masking there.    

Mosquito, finished Mos_fi11

If I had my way I would have used Lustrekote exclusively, but they don't offer a camo paint scheme.  The best finish I have ever used was Hobby Poxy 2 part.

1/2 oz and 3/4 oz Jim. I was getting 2-3 minute runs using about the same volume on the test stand.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:51 am

rsv1cox wrote:Thanks guys......Thanks Rusty, I will terminate the lead-outs with loops.  I didn't wire wrap mine, I just crimped a piece of tubing and bent the bitter end back over the crimp.... 
Bob, if you don't have any thimbles, it's fine to use some short copper or brass(not aluminum) tube. Thread the line through it and bend it into a closed "C" and then copper wire-wrap like you would with the thimbles. That's about as safe as you can get. And easier to get equal lengths, which I always struggle not to botch.
Rusty

EDIT: Hey, I'm glad I looked. This was my 10,000th post!
Fireworks Fireworks Fireworks  Fireworks

Sleeping at Computer

Hats Off
Back To Topic

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:00 am

Decals and fuel lines on.  Controls set, I used Rusty's heat shrink method to secure the lines, unnecessary in this case but I think it looks cool.  I can't figure the roundels.  British for sure but what command.  Blue with a red center. I can only find one like it, a Mosquito based in Italy during WW2.  Decals from Black Hawk models are for a Spitfire.

Mosquito, finished Mos_de10

I couldn't resist using the decals sheet alignment mark as a gunsight.  

Mosquito, finished Mos_de13

Mosquito, finished Mos_de12

Mosquito, finished Mos_de11

PS - Glad to be a part of that milestone Rusty. The "thimbles" that you refer to, are they the brass grommets that go on the ends of the lead-outs? I ran out of them, but can always add them later, I have plenty of that lead-out wire.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:43 am

Bob, you're being too critical of your craftsmanship! I think it looks great and the camo paint scheme is proper. Looks even better with the decals. Nice job of keeping the sticker police at bay.  A+ for a 1/2a cheers cheers Thumbs Up
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:49 am

Those roundels.  According to this web site were used as low visibility on night flying aircraft eg. fighter, bombers.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Air_Force_roundels

Interesting, the pictured Mosquito has both types of roundels, the outer yellow ringed for use on dark surfaces.  Also the tail insignia is different, not having the white line separating the colors.

Most of the Mosquito's of the era have an antenna just behind the cockpit.  I have to stick a black toothpick there.  Smile

Antenna and invasion stripes.  I'm in.  Smile

Mosquito, finished Mossy_11

Yes, I think a couple of Black Widows would have powered this thing just fine.  I had ordered another Mosquito kit from BHM's but they must be asleep.  I put an order in a month ago asking for a price with shipping and never heard anything back even after a couple of prompts.  Finally I just put $49 in their paypal account.  It stayed there for a week with no takers so I cancelled it. I would like to build another learning from my mistakes and mount .049's on it just to see.

Spinners are coming on a slow boat from China. Both spun aluminum and plastic.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:13 pm

Bob, Your model looks terrific! We're the worst critics of our own work. When I first saw your camo-pattern, I thought it looked great. It looks even better now! Hope the maiden goes well. Seeing that your son has a lot of experience with "Mustangs".... I'm sure he'll be able to handle it!

Last edited by roddie on Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:34 pm

What Roddie Said.
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:59 pm

Thanks akj, roddie and Rene.  At first I wanted to take akj's baseball bat to it but I just walked away,  Smile but like a pimple, it's growing on me.  I did mess up that cockpits canopy royally though, got to fix that.

I am amazed that the cg is spot on though according to the plans.

Mosquito, finished Mos_an10

Stupid looking canopy.  Something is way out of whack, needs to extend deeper and forward.

Mosquito, finished Mos_an11

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:33 pm

OK i will bite , you thing its that Bad! wait till it gets some creditor Hea it looks FINE other than that catalope  lol! Fishing Love you man !! I am glad ya C of G came out riteish Very Happy When is the Son coming in ?
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:36 pm

I'll be waiting for the antenna.. LOVE the gun-sight! I want to see you fly this Mosquito Robert... What's the plan? Do you have any RTF's to practice with? (I'll bet you do............) Smile

If BHM gets' off their butt and acknowledges you for a follow-up kit.. "trace" all the parts-outlines onto paper before assembly for future-builds! I should have mentioned that early-on. It's all "sheet-construction".. and very easy to duplicate. Jim or Mike may already have templates that they'd be willing to share.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:47 pm

Didn't have to wait long roddie.  My tooth pick antenna, I'm just so creative. Smile

Mosquito, finished Mos_an12

Stupid canopy/catalope, won't even photograph well.  Smile

Last time I "flew".

Mosquito, finished 20150411

And the result. Sad

Mosquito, finished 20150410

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:51 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Didn't have to wait long roddie.  My tooth pick antenna, I'm just so creative. Smile

Mosquito, finished Mos_an12

Stupid canopy/catalope, won't even photograph well.  Smile

Last time I "flew".

Mosquito, finished 20150411

And the result. Sad

Mosquito, finished 20150410

Bob

Hey man.. Smile  I haven't had tight-lines in my hand for more years than I care to remember! You and I are in similar situations. Hopefully we'll be able to share the experience this Spring.. and be able to laugh about it together!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:04 pm

You have the know how and the will , after the maiden == when you fly have your son to come out and help / if you needed some to take over .. Shoot i Quite not asking for it a while back * Then Enya's are going to sound GOOD!! Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:54 pm

Yeah, wishing you success with this project! There just aren't enough mosquito's in the world! Like Eric said, those Enya's are gonna sounds great !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  944_Jim Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:01 pm

Bob,

It looks great!

If BHM fails to sell you a kit, well, bad on them.
PM me your email address, I have something that may help the BHM lack-of-followup easier to handle.

It is a shame really...All the little parts will drive the cost of scratch-building a second over the price of a second kit.

Jim in MS
944_Jim
944_Jim
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  londke3 Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:48 am

Y'all know Black Hawk was sold and is under new ownership? Here is their post from Stunt Hangar--- We, at Black Hawk Models, would like to thank you for being such loyal customers, and friends over the years... We appreciate your business and would like to thank you for your history.
As some of you may alreary know, I have decided to retire, and in doing so I would like to let you know that the same team that has worked directly with me, will still be serving you.
Black Hawk Models is resuming production and will be offerring a complete line of kits.
Please contact Dezi Gebel with all request and/or questions at (519) 403-5310

NA Wood Products
25 Spruce Street Unit 3
Tillsonburg, Ontario N4G 5C4
Canada
(519) 688-WOOD (9663)

Larry
londke3
londke3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down