Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

model airplane yard-sale Cox_ba12

model airplane yard-sale Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 6:22 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by dan vincent Today at 6:15 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Today at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

model airplane yard-sale Empty
Live on Patrol

model airplane yard-sale

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

model airplane yard-sale Empty model airplane yard-sale

Post  roddie Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:49 pm

You people will love this.. So.. I'm driving to a band-gig today; same local-commute that I travel every week-day for work. 2-3 miles from my house.. there's this "log-home".. built-up high on an exposed full-cement foundation with two-car garage below. It's a property that's always attracted my attention. (I have a thing for log-homes/cabins..) so.. today I'm driving by... and there's no-less than 30-40 model-airplanes sprawled-out on the lawn. Shocked Shocked Shocked  it's a wonder that I didn't go off the road. I abruptly turned-around.. and parked. This is a rural-wooded road.. I walked up and asked "who's the flyer"? A fella walked over and told me that he was a flyer, and was helping to liquidate models from the estate of a deceased friend.

I was absolutely amazed at the amount of model airplane stuff. Nothing like I've ever seen. It probably would compare to a swap-meet.. except it was in this guy's yard. There were tables set up with "scads" of engines.. radios.. tables of hardware and flight-support stuff.

I had no cash on me (zero..) and no time to browse.. Mad DAMMIT! .. but the fella said to stop-by anytime I saw his truck there.

I was so taken-back by the spectacle... that I didn't think to take any photos. Let me tell you.. there was a "TON" of stuff there.. I could have literally spent hours.. just looking at the engines. Most of the models and gear was radio-control.. but I didn't really have time to scope it all out. It was literally overwhelming.. I was [bleep] that I didn't have more time (or some cash in my pocket..)

I thought about it all the way on the drive to the gig.. and told Lynne about it, when I got home later. There were probably 100 engines spread-out on two big tables. 2-strokes.. 4-strokes.. and a big OS engine with a supercharger. Eye-candy galore..

I fully-intend to revisit soon.. to get a better look at the stuff and take some photos. Stay tuned..

Last edited by roddie on Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

model airplane yard-sale Empty Re: model airplane yard-sale

Post  NEW222 Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:08 pm

Wow. Sounds like a good lead.
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:35 pm

roddie wrote:.. and a big OS engine with a supercharger.
!?!...A supercharger!?!???? Do tell, what did that configuration look like?

Okay, I answered my own question. This one is for a car, but the first link I clicked was for an airplane. I haven't found a good illustration of the actual blower yet. Still looking.

Rusty

https://youtu.be/ydc6XQpFID0

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:01 am

You sure that wasn't a dream!! HaHa!!
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:56 am

WOW There is someone that flies 2-3 miles from you !!?? Sounds like a money trap to me . LOL I 've not seen the supercharged engine before , that's crazy Easter Bunny Easter Bunny
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:41 pm

I am inclined to think it's an innovation for people with more money than sense. If it really develops any serious boost, it probably hammers the crank, connecting rod parts, and bearings beyond their tolerable specs.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:12 pm

RknRusty wrote:I am inclined to think it's an innovation for people with more money than sense. If it really develops any serious boost, it probably hammers the crank, connecting rod parts, and bearings beyond their tolerable specs.

The engine was I believe; the single-cylinder OS 20cc FS 120S four-stroke produced in 1990. It was a high-performance version with a "Roots-type" supercharger fitted by OS.

See here..

http://www.osengines.com/history.html

The supercharger looks to be on the rear of the engine, and driven directly off the crankshaft with rear-induction. That would make practical-sense to me.

Here's a vid of an RC Extra 300 powered by this engine. It's a torque-monster..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK4Avu_7GBQ

I'll have to check back with the guy.. but I'm pretty sure that he had that engine for sale.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:53 pm

Those supercharged 120s are an OS engine collectors dream. They bring good money usually. These are the type of sales where you find a coffee can full of RR-1s or strato bugs.
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:10 pm

Jason_WI wrote:Those supercharged 120s are an OS engine collectors dream. They bring good money usually. These are the type of sales where you find a coffee can full of RR-1s or strato bugs.

I don't know what that OS engine is worth. It isn't something that I'd be particularly interested in. I wouldn't know how to assess it's condition either.

I really want to go back and look through all the stuff when there's some time (with both parties..) to look closely at everything. I don't know if there will be another "yard-sale". I didn't have time (or think..) to ask if the items were being listed for sale anywhere else. I'll just have to play it by ear.. and stop-by when I see the fella's truck there, at a time that wouldn't seem intrusive. Maybe mid-morning or mid-afternoon.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:17 pm

Yeah, sounds like he has some interesting stuff, I'd be curious to see some pictures.

What does "Roots" mean? I've heard the term, but don't know, unless it means just what it is; a direct drive off the crank.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:01 pm

RknRusty wrote:Yeah, sounds like he has some interesting stuff, I'd be curious to see some pictures.

What does "Roots" mean? I've heard the term, but don't know, unless it means just what it is; a direct drive off the crank.

"Rootes" was the English company that designed this style of blower. Detroit diesels (2 stroke) use a "Rootes style" blower.

The Rootes Group made numerous different cars brands, including Hillman, Humber, Sunbeam Talbot etc. Also, they were pretty much the British arm of Chrysler. I also once had a French Simca which was marketed here by Chrysler/Rootes.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Marleysky Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:34 am

YA SNOOZE, YA LOOSE.....Id recommend stopping back and tape a note on the door with your phone number to call as soon as he's available. I did a quick search of craigslist roadie island and did not find any rc planes, engines or large lots of models listed, BUT there is a guy who wants to buy "all your stuff sitting around"  with multiple listings like this:

https://providence.craigslist.org/wan/6071968922.html.   Or

https://capecod.craigslist.org/wan/6071942101.html

Yeah, so sad, I was at a swap meet, a RC plane Swap meet, wearing my "Cox Engine Forum" t-shirt. Nice older gentleman hobbles up to me an says, "I just threw out a couple boxes of those old coxes! I didn't think anyone flew em anymore...." Waaaa, Waa, makes me wanna cry.
Marleysky
Marleysky
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:27 am

Oldenginerod wrote:
RknRusty wrote:Yeah, sounds like he has some interesting stuff, I'd be curious to see some pictures.

"Rootes" was the English company that designed this style of blower.  Detroit diesels (2 stroke) use a "Rootes style" blower.

The Rootes Group made numerous different cars brands, including Hillman, Humber, Sunbeam Talbot etc.  Also, they were pretty much the British arm of Chrysler.  I also once had a French Simca which was marketed here by Chrysler/Rootes.

Her's a picture of a Detroit Diesel V12 with 2 blowers taken in the engine room of a boat

model airplane yard-sale Imgp3110

However, there is a little misunderstanding. It is a Roots blower named after the American brothers Roots and has nothing to do with the British Rootes Group, also named after 2 brothers. The  rootes group became important after the split of STD - Sunbeam Talbot Darracq - in 1934 with the British part integrating the Rootes Group and with Antony Lago continuing the French branch as Talbot Lago.
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:22 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:

"Rootes" was the English company that designed this style of blower.  Detroit diesels (2 stroke) use a "Rootes style" blower.

The Rootes Group made numerous different cars brands, including Hillman, Humber, Sunbeam Talbot etc.  Also, they were pretty much the British arm of Chrysler.  I also once had a French Simca which was marketed here by Chrysler/Rootes.

Thanks, Rod. Now I know the rest of the story... Paul Harvey... Good day. I had no idea.
Who used to like to listen to Paul Harvey?
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:18 pm

Thanks, Rod. Now I know the rest of the story... Paul Harvey... Good day. I had no idea.
Who used to like to listen to Paul Harvey?
Rusty[/quote]

Never missed his show! I always had a mental image of his country home he called: "Revelry". Somewhat like Arthur Godfrey, he was a fan of aviation, and often had a bit or two about it in his broadcasts. I also remember him also mentioning the AMA Nationals.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:04 pm

Paul Harvey.. "Good Day".. Smile He was great to listen to. His voice was like a magnet.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:13 pm

OVERLORD wrote:
Oldenginerod wrote:

However, there is a little misunderstanding. It is a Roots blower named after the American brothers Roots and has nothing to do with the British Rootes Group, also named after 2 brothers. The  rootes group became important after the split of STD - Sunbeam Talbot Darracq - in 1934 with the British part integrating the Rootes Group and with Antony Lago continuing the French branch as Talbot Lago.

I seems I've been misled.  We have a vintage club member who explained the operation of the Commer "Knocker" engines which he used to repair. They are a two stroke and have a Roots blower.  Commer are part of the Rootes group.  Maybe he also made the assumption.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2014/10/ferraris-flat-twelve-dyno/
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:00 am

Oldenginerod wrote:We have a vintage club member who explained the operation of the Commer "Knocker" engines which he used to repair. They are a two stroke and have a Roots blower.  Commer are part of the Rootes group.  Maybe he also made the assumption.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/2014/10/ferraris-flat-twelve-dyno/

That's an interesting engine, with sets of pistons converging on each other. 1968 marked the beginning of pollution devices on US automobiles with California preceding that a couple years earlier. Since the Knocker engine was 2 stroke, I'm wondering if discontinuation had more to do with that than anything. Trucks were quite as scrutinized at least in US until years later. Fact US Chrysler bought them out and not wanting competing engines might be my guess. That is an interesting part of history. Less familiar with pollution controls outside US, may be didn't apply in Europe until later.

60 years ago, the Japanese Hino heavy truck and bus company had a 4 cylinder diesel truck engine that would chug when it hauled heavy loads or so I heard. Back in the early 1970's I had a rear water cooled engine (1300 cc) 1968 Hino Contessa 4 door sedan, a Japanese Renault in high school, bought for a song because it was basically an orphan. (No dealership in US and imported by Budget Rent a Car.) It sort of resembled the Renault R-10, technology was licensed from Renault.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat May 06, 2017 3:34 pm

roddie wrote:
Jason_WI wrote:Those supercharged 120s are an OS engine collectors dream. They bring good money usually. These are the type of sales where you find a coffee can full of RR-1s or strato bugs.

I don't know what that OS engine is worth. It isn't something that I'd be particularly interested in. I wouldn't know how to assess it's condition either.

I really want to go back and look through all the stuff when there's some time (with both parties..) to look closely at everything. I don't know if there will be another "yard-sale". I didn't have time (or think..) to ask if the items were being listed for sale anywhere else. I'll just have to play it by ear.. and stop-by when I see the fella's truck there, at a time that wouldn't seem intrusive. Maybe mid-morning or mid-afternoon.  

I met with the fella this morning.. and brought home some stuff. No RR-1s.. though. It took him a while to find the box containing the C/L engines.. but luckily he did. There was no yard-sale today (raining..) and this fella's small garage was packed full of RC airplanes. BIG models with 30cc engines are what he's into currently.

Here's what I got..

model airplane yard-sale Dsc04017

Those Fox .35's are pretty rough.. Shocked but I couldn't resist. (I'm gonna need to buy a crock-pot for sure..)

The Fox .25 RC in the back row has been converted to C/L. Not sure what the NVA is..

model airplane yard-sale Dsc04018

Then there's this Enya which doesn't look too bad..

model airplane yard-sale Dsc04019

I tried to keep a poker-face when he showed me the Tee Dee..

I asked him what he'd take for the lot.. and he said.. "just take them".. Shocked I had to make him take a $20 bill which he did.. reluctantly. Then before I left.. he gave me a .40 size RC trainer less radio and engine!!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat May 06, 2017 3:56 pm

The Enya .29 is a very strong runner. They offer a lot of power. Appears you also have a OK .059 reed engine. I'm quite fond of those and they surprisingly offer a very steady run. The Fox .25 was offered in that configuration even though it had r/c casted onto it. Yours is missing the spring but that's all Fox equipment. Duke used that needle assembly in many engines . The .049, .07, .15 bb slant plug .15, .19 bb, .25 bb etc. They can be a bit fickle and problematic at times. Don't make a habit of digging for worms with that engine as you can break the casting. George mentions it many times on here to use nylon screws so they break off. They like a low pitch prop 9x4 and wind them up. they're not going to run like the .35 stunt. They run a fast 2. The muffler that came with that series engine is desirable to the Fox .35 crowd as it works superior to the tilt down blimp style when the guts are removed. They fit entirely around the stack opposed to butting up to it. It will fit many of the Fox .35's with the exception of the 50th and 60th versions. When the ears break off a piece of radiator hose clamp mounted to the muffler makes a good attachment just don't over tighten as it can distort the case
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat May 06, 2017 5:19 pm

Ken Cook wrote:The Enya .29 is a very strong runner. They offer a lot of power. Appears you also have a OK .059 reed engine. I'm quite fond of those and they surprisingly offer a very steady run. The Fox .25 was offered in that configuration even though it had r/c casted onto it. Yours is missing the spring but that's all Fox equipment. Duke used that needle assembly in many engines . The .049, .07, .15 bb slant plug .15, .19 bb, .25 bb etc. They can be a bit fickle and problematic at times. Don't make a habit of digging for worms with that engine as you can break the casting. George mentions it many times on here to use nylon screws so they break off. They like a low pitch prop 9x4 and wind them up. they're not going to run like the .35 stunt. They run a fast 2. The muffler that came with that series engine is desirable to the Fox .35 crowd as it works superior to the tilt down blimp style when the guts are removed. They fit entirely around the stack opposed to butting up to it. It will fit many of the Fox .35's with the exception of the 50th and 60th versions. When the ears break off a piece of radiator hose clamp mounted to the muffler makes a good attachment just don't over tighten as it can distort the case

Thanks Ken, The OK Cub had me scratching my head.. It's not locked-up and looks to be "all there" except for one of the four tank-back screws. It looks to be a 2-56 x 3/4"L screw. It's not broken-off.. but the hole in the case may be stripped. I'll have to look closer with a an eye-loupe to see if there's any threads there. I do have some 2-56 x 1" screws.

I now own three McCoy .19 red-heads though.. and one of these has a needle.

These engines haven't seen any action for a LONG time.. and most are grimy. The fella mentioned "Tarn-X".. as a product for freeing-up stuck engines... Huh... Have you heard of this? They're all going to need a scrubbing.. followed by a good bath.. Laughing

Last edited by roddie on Sun May 07, 2017 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat May 06, 2017 5:33 pm

A good crock pot cooking & they'll come up a treat. Especially the Enya. I bet it will come up like new.
Well done!
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat May 06, 2017 5:43 pm

I have expressed my input in regards to cleaning old engines. My take is don't. The gaskets are compromised not to mention the seal of the heads and bases of those that are steel to aluminum. Clean them externally, clean out the spraybar well and free them up a bit and run them. The Fox's are going to be problematic due to the cork gaskets dried out and this renders them typically useless. The Fox needs it's conrod freed up by working it off the crank web. Penetrating oil and heat and a allen key frees it up. Sometimes you can use 3in 1 oil all over the cork gasket and let it sit for a while continuously giving it a dosing of more oil. Never pull the back plate but twist it and use a bit of heat. You can sometimes save them this way. Leave the Fox's burnt black with castor, they run better. Don't listen to others that tell you otherwise. The blacker the better. It appears your missing a lot of drive washers for the Fox. The problem there is that they tend to be a bit pricy. Seeing that they're all missing needle valves, I would opt for a better replacement. I have seen the Enya needle valves work very well in the Fox .35. Shtterman caries these on Ebay. You could rob the needle out of the Enya .29 to try it.

While it doesn't exactly fit the profile of the case, the Fox.25 drive washer will fit your Stunt .35's to try them. Gasket sets for the Fox became quite expensive shortly after the demise of Fox. This is why I recommend the anaerobic gasket maker. I would personally lap the back of the Fox cases. If you clean them off you can tell they're not exactly the picture of beauty. They can have porosity holes in the casting or raised edges which don't exactly offer the best surface to seal. Don't worry about removing too much material, the backplate doesn't extend enough into the case anyhow so this can also benefit.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat May 06, 2017 11:05 pm

You got a good deal, I would have snatched the Fox .35's as well. I used that style Fox .25 on a .35 sized plane and just didn't enjoy it as much as the Fox .35 it replaced. So I bolted the .35 back on.

I have one of those Enya .29's on a Bi-Slob. It runs strong!

Your TD looks like an .09, you will be suprised when it spools up.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun May 07, 2017 10:14 am

Thanks for the comments guys. Most of these engines can wait for a real rainy day before they get any attention. Laughing I do understand Ken's thinking on the soaking. These are so dirty.. that the ones that weren't stuck, made me apprehensive to turn them through compression for fear of grit getting into the cylinders.

The Enya .29 (5224) has a small nipple on the bottom of the front case-housing. I assume it's a pressure-tap?

model airplane yard-sale _29-5210

The engine is stuck, and this rust on the piston worries me..

model airplane yard-sale _29-5211

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next