Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (June 2017) Cox_ba12

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (June 2017) Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» #Abortion pills in Dubai#+277-32027887 Abortion pills for sale in Dubai
by kasm Yesterday at 11:51 pm

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:40 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (June 2017) Empty
Live on Patrol

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (June 2017)

Go down

Choose the next engine of the month!

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (June 2017) Vote_lcap4%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (June 2017) Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (June 2017) Vote_lcap8%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (June 2017) Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 2 ]
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (June 2017) Vote_lcap8%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (June 2017) Vote_rcap 8% 
[ 2 ]
[ 2 ]
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (June 2017) Vote_lcap38%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (June 2017) Vote_rcap 38% 
[ 10 ]
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (June 2017) Vote_lcap4%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (June 2017) Vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
[ 1 ]
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (June 2017) Vote_lcap15%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (June 2017) Vote_rcap 15% 
[ 4 ]
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (June 2017) Vote_lcap7%**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (June 2017) Vote_rcap 7% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 26

Poll closed

Clapping **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (June 2017)

Post  Admin Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:11 pm

Vote on your favorite engine! Poll will run for 5 days!

The drawing for the Ex Model Engines Black Lynx .049 will he held shortly after the poll closes. Good Luck! Shamrock

CLICK HERE IF THE PICTURES DON'T LOAD

picture not loading, contact the admin if you can read this text
"Cox F-18 getting ready for flight."

"Cox 0.049 Black Widow Powered Pinewood Derby Top Fuel Car"

"TD020 on a lilStick"

"Bugging the S.M.A.L.L. Fly-In"

"RR-1 and my dad's old Hobby Book from 1957"

"The project"

"Black Widow on scratch built Baby Ring"

I Love This Forum!

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Clapping Re: **VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (June 2017)

Post  KariFS Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:44 am

Bump!
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:23 am

Yea Hi !! Re Bump!! Very Happy Small Cox Logo Babe Bee .049 Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:11 pm

WE HAVE A WINNER!!! Congratulations to mmischni and his "Cox 0.049 Black Widow Powered Pinewood Derby Top Fuel Car" Clapping

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (June 2017) Mmisch10

I'll have the picture up shortly, and the Ex Model Engines Black Lynx .049 drawing started!

I Love This Forum!

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:24 pm

Very good job Mr. mmischni, congratulations! Meritorious recognition! Clapping Small Cox Logo
Thanks to those who trusted my work too! Thumbs Up
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mmischni Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:48 pm

Thanks very much all! You can't see it in my photo, but I ran with a trimmed-down "COX powered" sticker on the back of the rear wing. One of the better video clips shows it.
"The Black Widow team ran a great race today. The number 18 car was in top form. I'd like to thank my sponsors Cox International for supplying the replacement parts, Rustoleum for the paints, Tower Hobbies for the fuel..."   Very Happy  
I will try to compile some of my better run vids and put them on youtube for better viewing than the photobucket clips I tried in my other thread.

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (June 2017) Cox_po10

Thanks again for the advice getting it running/not eating itself alive as well. A fine group of enthusiasts here!

Matt
mmischni
mmischni
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:49 am

Congrats Matt !!! Great job with the Dragster bounce bounce Bee looking for the Videos. Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:02 am

Congrats to the winner cheers

Great looking model, I am glad you got the technical problems sorted out Thumbs Up
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:23 am

PRET-TY COOL!!!
Looking forward to videos, this would be a great g.pa-g.son project.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:09 pm

WTG MMischni, and the crowd chants vid vid vid Small Cox Logo
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:16 pm

Congrats and greal looking little car there!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:42 pm

Congratulations Matt! What a great powered project-model! I enjoyed assisting my nephew with a Pinewood-Derby car back in the day. It's simulated 8cyl. engine had eight simulated carbs.. made from small wooden screw-plugs drilled-out for a flared alloy-tube.. (Perfect-brand brass lead-out guides).. to resemble x8 1bbl. carbs sticking-up out of the cowl.

Yours is ultra-cool to me. The posi-traction rear-axle is nice.. Did you mention it being a friction-drive? They can make good-use of the engine's power-band. Engine-cooling is probably a non-issue on a scale drag-strip?

It would be interesting if your design spurred some interest for a CEF drag-race contest.. Shocked I'm pretty sure I'd be up for that... Thumbs Up
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:33 am

BELATED CONGRATS MATT !!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  mmischni Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:08 am

Thanks fellows,

Roddie, if you have a pic of that derby car, I would love to see it! The carbs sound pretty fabulous. I built a velocity stack for the Widow just for looks, and I had dreams of a sweet set of open header pipes for it, but I ran out of time and the rapid-proto guys at my company weren't interested in sponsoring a pinewood derby car :-)

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (June 2017) 01_cad10

Yes, mine is friction drive. the thing I was most unsure about was what a good drive ratio would be. I found some info online about torque and RPM values for a Black Widow, but don't know much about how they run unloaded, how they like sudden loads!!, or how many rpms, I was even running. So the additional benefit of being able to make some ratio adjustments also appeared to be a great benefit. Ultimately I just ran it at the absolute lowest ratio I could manage because I was occasionally stalling the engine and was running out of my 3 runs! I wondered about cooling as well, but I figured runs of 30-60 seconds to get it running, on the track, leaned out, and released, that there shouldn't be any problem. And honestly, if it melted down after the race, I probably would have still have called it a win! It would be just like the real top fuellies. New parts and full re-build after every race.

Matt
mmischni
mmischni
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:10 am

mmischni wrote:I built a velocity stack for the Widow just for looks, and I had dreams of a sweet set of open header pipes for it, but I ran out of time

If the Black Widow has an original style cylinder with SPI then the exhaust header you mention may well reduce performance of the engine.
SPI meaning Sub Piston Induction.  With an exhaust of any sort on an SPI engine then the engine will ingest spent exhaust gases back into the crankcase, causing a dilution of the air/fuel mixture.  The only way a Cox SPI engine can overcome this is to install shims under the base of the cylinder to close up the gap under the piston skirt.  This will also have the effect of lowering compression which may need to be rectified by using a Tee Dee head.  Still, it would take some experimenting to find out whether the power loss caused by not having SPI as compared to having the engine draw-in exhaust is greater or lesser.  Then you also need to see how much removal of SPI and incresing compression as suggested impacts on power.  Header pipes may look cool but will potentially take the edge off of performance.  If you want header pipes, get a Gilbert.
**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (June 2017) Gilber10
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mmischni Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:35 pm

Yup, I gleaned that particular caution from this very forum, not combining SPI and a muffler! Luckily I did not have SPI to deal with. I was going to run something regardless to control castor oil discharge (not directed on my friction surfaces). A muffler worked out well because working next to that thing while starting it and leaning it out was brutal. I didn't think people would appreciate that inside our cafeteria :-) The headers were solely to look cool, as you mentioned, and may even have been less restrictive than the stock muffler I used. This year was mostly about "getting something that ran down the track." Maybe next year, since I have a running chassis, I can mess around with squeezing more power out of it!
mmischni
mmischni
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:59 pm

mmischni wrote:Thanks fellows,

Roddie, if you have a pic of that derby car, I would love to see it! The carbs sound pretty fabulous. I built a velocity stack for the Widow just for looks, and I had dreams of a sweet set of open header pipes for it, but I ran out of time and the rapid-proto guys at my company weren't interested in sponsoring a pinewood derby car :-)

Yes, mine is friction drive. the thing I was most unsure about was what a good drive ratio would be. I found some info online about torque and RPM values for a Black Widow, but don't know much about how they run unloaded, how they like sudden loads!!, or how many rpms, I was even running. So the additional benefit of being able to make some ratio adjustments also appeared to be a great benefit. Ultimately I just ran it at the absolute lowest ratio I could manage because I was occasionally stalling the engine and was running out of my 3 runs! I wondered about cooling as well, but I figured runs of 30-60 seconds to get it running, on the track, leaned out, and released, that there shouldn't be any problem. And honestly, if it melted down after the race, I probably would have still have called it a win! It would be just like the real top fuellies. New parts and full re-build after every race.

Matt

Hi Matt, Unfortunately I don't have any photos of that Pinewood car. It was just a simple "wedge-shape" painted gloss-red. The eight wooden plugs (carburetors) were painted silver and placed in two side-by-side rows of four pre-drilled holes. It had a little "driver's head" mounted in a rear cockpit and had a clear-plastic windscreen.. if my memory serves me.

I'm very curious about how you designed the drive on your car and also how you manage to start the engine? Does either your engine or the rear-axle slide or pivot to make contact for the friction-drive to function as a clutch? Is there a type of spring-clip used for tension? There appears to be a standard rubber O-ring fitted to a custom flywheel. I had an old lawn-tractor that used a friction-drive that was very similar... except it didn't spin at 18K!! It all looks to be very nicely engineered.. and an O-ring would be a cheap/simple/easy to replace sacrificial-element of the drive.

Knowing now; that you're running the engine for longer than a few seconds.. it would be a good idea to provide an extra measure of cooling. There are heat-sinks made by Cox, which clip-onto the glow-head.

Here's a photo of one of my proposed/prototype marine-engines with one installed.

**VOTE-ON-THE-NEXT-COX-ENGINE-OF-THE-MONTH** (June 2017) Cox_ba10

The muffler shown, is my own design.. but it's been mentioned that running a muffler/expansion-chamber can negate the positive effects of sub-piston induction when running an SPI cylinder on the engine.

I'd love to see a video of your car in action! Have you posted one here?
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:23 pm

Hi again Matt.. Laughing I can be a haunt.. Laughing but I just read your last post which you made while I was writing my last post..

So.. if you're engine is muffler-friendly.. you could try making a muffler like mine. It's minimally-restrictive.. and can be made in several configurations. You mentioned the problem with exhaust-oil wastes fouling your drive.. and making a mess when operated indoors (a cafeteria..) So.. my design offers the option of running a single header-pipe with a 90 degree elbow, turned-downward facing into a cloth (absorbent) pad placed in the floor-pan of the chassis.. Cool

See the link below for more info. Be sure to skim through the entire thread.. because there were advances in the materials used.. and their possible applications.

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t5505-a-cheap-sport-muffler?highlight=a+cheap
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:16 pm

This could easily turn into a CEF proxy drag racing event.....

I also think this drive train could be adapted to tether circle for Outlaw sprint type cars

Matt
We need more details of the Track, chassis, and some one to set a very broad range of simple rules

My contribution to the rules...You Must enlist a boy or girl under the age of 18 to help you
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  mmischni Mon Jun 19, 2017 9:52 pm

Finally got around to putting together some of the videos from the races. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/j1ZbApqToRw

Matt
mmischni
mmischni
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  MauricioB Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:18 pm

mmischni wrote:Finally got around to putting together some of the videos from the races. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/j1ZbApqToRw

Matt

Excellent !, beautiful the video, thanks for sharing! Very Happy Thumbs Up
MauricioB
MauricioB
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Tue Jun 20, 2017 3:37 am

Thank you for sharing my father and I did pine wood derby back when i was in the cub scouts.
You could set it up on a tether line and do some continuous laps on some good fresh flat asphalt.
Small Cox Logo
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down