Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Predator UAV on the way Cox_ba12

Predator UAV on the way Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Today at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Today at 7:53 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 7:00 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Today at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Predator UAV on the way Empty
Live on Patrol

Predator UAV on the way

Go down

Predator UAV on the way Empty Predator UAV on the way

Post  fredvon4 Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:14 pm

I saw a plane today fly electric that I decided to order and try to adapt to Glow

Predator UAV on the way Predat10

74" wing 36" Fuslage not sure of all up weight yet ( as electric the Flying weight: 1.2 lb / 520g)
I have severl engine choices between a very strong .051, and decent medalion RC .09 (problem with being in pusher mode as slide exhaust is fixed to the rearand interconnected to the venturi) and a real stout running TD .15

RC groups has a vast thread on this plane

Thoughts, ideas, advice please

Last edited by fredvon4 on Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : stoopid spelling erorrors)
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Predator UAV on the way Empty Re: Predator UAV on the way

Post  PV Pilot Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:19 pm

Evil robot plane,,but I like it.

A perfect candidate for a Olympic 15, or for a backplate induction motor. The intake cowl could be make to be functional for that.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Predator UAV on the way Empty more ripped photos of the ARF

Post  fredvon4 Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:41 pm

Predator UAV on the way Predat11

The bulkhead below is where a 400 series (or Turnigy G25) is set in pusher with a pre formed cowl. I have the complete electric set up and fairly sure a TD .15 in pusher with fairl sized fuel tank, RX and RX battery is less wieght then than the electric setup. The way it is designed the max prop is 9" and I think the .15 will swing a 8x6 with as much or more thrust. I will probably retro fit a RC carb to the venturi

Predator UAV on the way Arf_pr10
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:58 pm

Go tee dee .15 and keep us posted!
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:59 pm

Yup, you could do a bladder tank in that fuse, or one of the moldable sullivans in there. 2-3 oz or so.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:41 am

I got a couple of these kits a while back, with the intention of converting one to glow and using the other to introduce myself to all this new electric stuff. They're still on the "back burner" but perhaps I can work to get the glow version going here shortly.

I'm going to use one of my hard-ridden Medallion .09 RC's with a Sullivan streamlined tank sitting on top of the fuse. Don't know how much of the original engine fairing I can use, so I may have to make up one. I'm going to mount the engine at an angle to try and get as much of it's cylinder out in the breeze as possible.

Figure that if the yuppies over in the subdivision thought the Recon B.O.T.'s were spooky, this REALLY ought to make them wonder what's going on with the weird guy over on the hill !!!

Reaper Kim

Predator UAV on the way 3_49
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Predator UAV on the way Empty long predator thread at RC Universe

Post  fredvon4 Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:16 am

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_5826832/mpage_1/key_/tm.htm

From back on 2007--a very long thread. I have slogged through all of it

There are a lot of good ideas for modifications and flying quirks. This is not a good plane for a beginner RC pilot (like me) and I plan to take my time doing the glow conversion.

I think first I will set it up electric and have my flight mentor trim and help me dial in the computer RX (Futaba 8FG) for all the mixing and differential.

I intend to make the rudder functional (as delivered it is just a skeg) as well as steerable nose gear. I also think I will re-engineer the wings to be transportable as my smart car is interior space challenged.

I have never seen a TD 09 or 15 in pusher. I assume I need to add a thrust washer as I have not seen brass prop drives for these size engines

Looks like the cowl could be opened up in the front (increase opening and add semi venturi front lip) to provide ram air cooling over the vertical cylinder

Like many here I am rapidly gaining more "projects" than space or time can accommodate. It is time to start prioritizing and scheduling my retirement time. (I retire from the DoD in two weeks ...grin)
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:43 am

Glad to hear I'm not alone in collecting more projects than my schedule will allow ! My poor Medallion .09 served in the 'Pusher Mode' for a couple of years on my Lil' Swamp Buggy, and still runs amazingly well...considering that it had all manner of fuels run through it, and was lugging some off-brand pusher prop that had been cut down just enough to clear the deck.

I bought some pusher 7-4 wood props for it's run on the Reaper, and may also use the rudder to help things along. I want to convert it to a tail-dragger gear, with a wire skid on the inverted rudder.

The wing situation, for me, is problematic, as I want to be able to dump it in the weeds out here without too much trauma. I'm considering modifying the wing into a single, removable unit, and building up an internal saddle in the fuse for it to rest against. This will also help me transport it without "door testing" the thing !

Anyway...GOT to finish Baby Wulf first...so the Reaper still lurks in the background !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:15 pm

HobbyKing USA warehouse sourced predator arrived today and I am pleasantly surprised at the quality of the build (it’s an ARF) and at the same time concerned with engineering of it. I decided to back shelf it and focus on flying soon as the weather and my pending free time cooperate.

This winter I will completely strip the factory covering..all OD green with splashed (sprayed ) white stripes and blotches .. This will allow re-engineering the wing root with 3/4 length carbon spar and adding carbon flat along the fuselage for strength.

I think the tail drag via spring wire is doable and moving the fixed gear forward to make tail drag should not be a problem

The TeeDee .09 upright looks proper perspective but this is not the correct way to decide on .09 or .15 pusher so will have to research thrust factors for the successful electric guys and try to figure how much from the 09 or 15 based on prop selection

Going to feed the TeeDee with loose low pressure bladder kit from Texas Timer or Sullivan plastic 1oz clunk tank mid ships I think problem with clunk tank is the long fuel line to the engine

I plan 2 degrees of tip wash out torque in with steam as most reports claim this wing design tip stalls very fast. I am also planning on spring steel skid wire on each wing tip

I need to swap meet a bunch of old small inexpensive RC .25 and smaller to see if I can adapt a real carb to the 09 or .15

I also intend to permanently wire the glow head for switched 1.5VDC so I can use the supplied cowl slightly modified to get air flow over the cylinder

As always I am interested in any good ideas or thoughts
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ahrma_581 Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:17 pm

fredvon4 wrote: I have the complete electric set up and fairly sure a TD .15 in pusher with fairl sized fuel tank, RX and RX battery is less wieght then than the electric setup.

I kinda wonder about weight distribution. All the IC powerplant weight is going to be waaay back there. Guessing that with electric power, they shove the LiPo in the nose? Of course, looks like there's plenty of room up there, you could just toss in a couple spools of solder to balance it out. Very Happy
ahrma_581
ahrma_581
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:50 pm

Just a thought my .09 drains a 1 oz tank in minutes. Not sure how many minutes mind you but, it was quick. I imagine a .15 is even quicker.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:18 pm

That might be a tough one to get balanced with a big .15 in the back. Lotta lead up front. A subtle pusher-puller arangement might be cool. Just a thought.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:27 am

Yeah, I'd planned on making mine pack a camera up front, and had hoped that might get it close enough that too much ballast wouldn't be needed. I'm still using nicads (heavy), and the snout is fairly long, so maybe it won't be too bad.

I'll try a lash-up with the components this afternoon just to get an idea of the weight needed to make the sucker balance.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:51 am

I am leaning toward the loose bladder light/no pressure fuel cell mid ship at CG so it stays neutral on full or empty. From what I know of aircraft this particular design is very CG sensitive with the ratio to length vs wing chord. That said, if the 09 will provide adequate thrust the light weight radio gear and battery in the nose should balance well. If I need to up the power to the Cox TD .15 (much heavier engine)I can compensate with larger flight battery

So the advice I need is about running a TD rotary valve on fuel cell about 17 inches from the carburetor? I also need to know fuel quantity needed for 5 to 7 min on TD 09 or TD 15. Yes I know Virginia; I could set up an engine stand, place fuel cell some distance away and experiment with differing quantities to see what I need. Just polling the community to see if I do NOT need to reinvent the wheel

Thanks to all for following and posting thoughts and advice
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:58 am

You shouldn't have much fuel draw problems but if you do as you may.
You could drill the Tee Dee for pressure.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:36 am

Well, it would seem that some bench testing would be needed with the fuel line lengths that you would be running. Thats how I usually do that. Fit the tank to the airframe and cut the lines needed, then the lines and tank get set up on the stand to about the same relation that they would sit in the frame and see how it responds.

You could do a small surge tank about 1/2 the distance to the motor from your big tank,,or right up close to the motor with the surge tank if it will fit. I have seen some flyers just use a big offroad fuel filter as a inline surge tank. A muffler pressure setup or crankcase pressure of some sort. Try a bigger feed line and a small pressure line,, and vice versa and see how it responds.

You'll have to think about your wing loading also, as that looks to be somewhat of a narrow wing with alot of length. Reinforce that somewhat as you deivate from the planned design.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:58 am

re: Predator drone

I think (for me) the "Stealth" element of EP would be more suitable for this drone.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:33 pm

Ye but then it should also be FPV and covered in a dull grey covering.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:49 pm

The color on the plane now looks pretty "sealthy" as is.

"Achmed" would never see it coming.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:02 pm

Only if you were flying over a jungle and the person you didn't want to see it was above it.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:41 pm

The outrunner Turnigy G15, 45A ESC and 3s 1600 LiPo weigh considerably more than either of my two Cox TeeDees I am considering. Thus I am not too concerned on wing loading from that aspect.

However the ARF as delivered is poorly engineered in the wing root with only a light Ply 6 inch 1/4" square spar and the wings do not get bonded in the center but sit on the outside of the Fuselage ...this arrangement is reported to snap wings in flight on any light G up or down maneuver. Most owners who followed the long post on RC Groups already use a round Carbon tube spar set deeper in each wing and an outer tube through the 3" wide fuselage.

Where I have worked for over 15 years is on West Fort Hood across from Gray Army Airfield, the MI BN flies various UAV (drones) almost daily for training. I know we all see the photos from the combat zones with all sorts of camo schemes. That is curious because all the ones I see are always a light grey top and bottom and easily lost in the clouds or bright sky.

Engine noise…hum not sure what really makes for scale sounds…each variant real UAV I see is pretty loud from the distances I see them. Up close they have small turbine, some 2 and or 4 cylinder horizontally opposed, two and three blade pusher (some push pull from common engine) and even 2 two and three blade counter rotating pusher configurations… FWIIW the Army, Navy, and Air Force UAV programs are the fastest changing acquisition program I have ever witnessed. You could say changing configurations almost every 90 to 120 days

I am (for next 5 days) an Army Test Officer with the Operational Test Command. My co workers who have these projects (I test enterprises software products) test the aircraft here, at Ft Huachuca AZ, and White Sands Missile Range NM

Bottom line is this smallish form factor is going to look and sound correct with a Cox TeeDee IMO
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum