Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

"Sliding Servo" Old-School Control Mixer Cox_ba12

"Sliding Servo" Old-School Control Mixer Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» #Abortion pills in Dubai#+277-32027887 Abortion pills for sale in Dubai
by kasm Yesterday at 11:51 pm

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:40 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

"Sliding Servo" Old-School Control Mixer Empty
Live on Patrol

"Sliding Servo" Old-School Control Mixer

Go down

"Sliding Servo" Old-School Control Mixer Empty "Sliding Servo" Old-School Control Mixer

Post  Kim Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:22 am

The "sliding servo" is an Old School method of mixing two controls, many times used in V-tailed sailplanes. It involves an anchored elevator servo, hooked by pushrod to a rudder servo, mounted on sliding rails.

I use Sullivan or similar pushrods and their sleeves to build up a "sled" for the rudder servo to slide on. The pushrods are bonded to the frame of the airplane, while the rudder servo and it's mount are attached to their sleeves. This also allows you to run a flex cable to steer a nose or tail wheel without adding another servo.

Hope this helps:

"Sliding Servo" Old-School Control Mixer Slidin11

"Sliding Servo" Old-School Control Mixer Slidin12
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

"Sliding Servo" Old-School Control Mixer Empty Re: "Sliding Servo" Old-School Control Mixer

Post  mitchg95 Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:20 pm

wow that is something else Kim, i have been wondering how the elevons would work without modern things like you would see in the parkzone striker
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

"Sliding Servo" Old-School Control Mixer Empty Re: "Sliding Servo" Old-School Control Mixer

Post  andrew Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:25 pm

Yup --- truly old school, but it was a very common approach for the V-tails that Kim mentioned and for deltas. There were also a couple of commercial mechanical devices.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:00 pm

And who could forget that timeless classic: Old School Dual Rates !!! Cherish that modern radio, boys !!!!

"Sliding Servo" Old-School Control Mixer Old_sc12
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Godsey3.0 Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:10 pm

I actually prefer to do Control Throws this way. I do not like having to fight these new computer radios.
Godsey3.0
Godsey3.0
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

"Sliding Servo" Old-School Control Mixer Empty re: sliding servos

Post  happydad Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:52 am

[quote="Kim"]The "sliding servo" is an Old School method of mixing two controls, many times used in V-tailed sailplanes. It involves an anchored elevator servo, hooked by pushrod to a rudder servo, mounted on sliding rails.

I use Sullivan or similar pushrods and their sleeves to build up a "sled" for the rudder servo to slide on. The pushrods are bonded to the frame of the airplane, while the rudder servo and it's mount are attached to their sleeves. This also allows you to run a flex cable to steer a nose or tail wheel without adding another servo.

Hope this helps:

"Sliding Servo" Old-School Control Mixer Slidin11

Kim: my mentor in the 1980's helped me use this sliding servo setup with my 1st and 2nd V-tail airplanes. I still have the 1meter mini-wanderer i self-scaled from 2 meter plans and it still flew great until last week when the 27+ year old balsa, (not basswood like it should have been) V-tail support snapped in flight. minimal damage.

happydad

Futaba Radio
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  ebeneezer Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:22 am

Talking of mechanical mixers,does anyone remember the Dodgeson mixer? he used it in his Maestro sailplane. I can remember it vaguely, I think it did flapperons and coupled rudder, and maybe coupled elevator as well. All throws adjustable mechanicaly, and all from just two servos, it was very brilliant.
ebeneezer
ebeneezer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:48 am

happydad wrote:

Kim: my mentor in the 1980's helped me use this sliding servo setup with my 1st and 2nd V-tail airplanes. I still have the 1meter mini-wanderer i self-scaled from 2 meter plans and it still flew great until last week when the 27+ year old balsa, (not basswood like it should have been) V-tail support snapped in flight. minimal damage.

happydad

Futaba Radio

Re: "Sliding Servo" Old-School Control Mixer

New post ebeneezer Today at 3:22 am
+
----
-
Talking of mechanical mixers,does anyone remember the Dodgeson mixer? he used it in his Maestro sailplane. I can remember it vaguely, I think it did flapperons and coupled rudder, and maybe coupled elevator as well. All throws adjustable mechanically, and all from just two servos, it was very brilliant.

=========================================================================================

My first experience with it followed the rather violent death of my flying bud's Sig Kadet ("Heck no! I ain't gonna CIRCLE up and out of the ballpark...I'm climbing straight out and OVER those wires!).

Since the wing was the only part of the Kadet that resembled it's former glory, Kevin Eugene decided to build a "Bonanza-ish" fuselage with the wing moved to the bottom. We came upon the idea in a all-night building session, and thought we were really smart until discovering that we hadn't been the only ones to use this method of blending controls!

"Sliding Servo" Old-School Control Mixer Shoest10

I haven't heard of the Dodgeson mixer, but do know the feeling of pride in work like this. We loved to show off the mixed controls, even to licensed pilots, who couldn't imagine HOW we'd done it. We'd then pull the wing off and get the congratulatory "Ahhh...THAT'S cool!" as we showed off our handi-work !

I later used it in my hard-flown "Allure" sailplane.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

"Sliding Servo" Old-School Control Mixer Empty re: sliding servo

Post  happydad Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:38 pm

Kim wrote:
happydad wrote:

happydad

Futaba Radio

Re: "Sliding Servo" Old-School Control Mixer

New post ebeneezer Today at 3:22 am
+
----
-
Talking of mechanical mixers,does anyone remember the Dodgeson mixer? he used it in his Maestro sailplane. I can remember it vaguely, I think it did flapperons and coupled rudder, and maybe coupled elevator as well. All throws adjustable mechanically, and all from just two servos, it was very brilliant.

=========================================================================================

My first experience with it followed the rather violent death of my flying bud's Sig Kadet ("Heck no! I ain't gonna CIRCLE up and out of the ballpark...I'm climbing straight out and OVER those wires!).

Since the wing was the only part of the Kadet that resembled it's former glory, Kevin Eugene decided to build a "Bonanza-ish" fuselage with the wing moved to the bottom. We came upon the idea in a all-night building session, and thought we were really smart until discovering that we hadn't been the only ones to use this method of blending controls!

"Sliding Servo" Old-School Control Mixer Shoest10

I haven't heard of the Dodgeson mixer, but do know the feeling of pride in work like this. We loved to show off the mixed controls, even to licensed pilots, who couldn't imagine HOW we'd done it. We'd then pull the wing off and get the congratulatory "Ahhh...THAT'S cool!" as we showed off our handi-work !

I later used it in my hard-flown "Allure" sailplane.

Kim: that looks an awful lot like an old EK Logiktrol radio. one of my first and still best radios. Do you remember the brand of the red transmitter?

happydad

Futaba Radio
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:56 pm

Yes, they were both EK Champion 5 Channel radio's. Kevin's was a couple years earlier than mine. It was my first "Real" radio after several misadventures with a Citizenship Escapement I'd flown/chased for a few years prior.

I still have it...though it's receiver was damaged in a crash.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

"Sliding Servo" Old-School Control Mixer Empty re: ek radios

Post  happydad Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:10 pm

Kim wrote:Yes, they were both EK Champion 5 Channel radio's. Kevin's was a couple years earlier than mine. It was my first "Real" radio after several misadventures with a Citizenship Escapement I'd flown/chased for a few years prior.

I still have it...though it's receiver was damaged in a crash.

i have no idea where my receivers went. when the FCC decided we had to use narrow band receivers on AM i think i put them in a box somewhere. I still use a 3 channel EK AM transmitter that was narrow-banded by a certified guy in fallbrook, CA about 26 years ago, and i also have a 4 channel sport series or something like that i am thinking of converting both to 2.4GHz with the anylink system by Tactic. they make cables for all the popular brands like Futaba, Hitec, Spectrum, etc, but i am not sure if the data format of the EK is positive or negative. if it is similar to Futaba i can make my own cable. the EK transmitters have such smooth joysticks i hate to sell them and it would look so cool with a 2.4GHz antenna on the back. i'll keep you informed. (i was an electronic engineer in a past life for 31 years.)
cox engines forever. Small Cox Logo Small Cox Logo Small Cox Logo

p.s. i still have a futaba 2 channel escapement system i sent my dad when i was in the USAF in Japan in 1967-1968.

happydad

Futaba Radio
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:07 pm

If you haven't already, you might check out this bunch: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VRCS/

They restore everything from Escapement systems to reed outfits and old propo units...
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ebeneezer Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:17 am

I have a 3 channel kraft set on 27megs, with it a receiver/servo brick, that could be switched from red to brown , the first proportianal system I had, it never let me down. My dad a six channel Kraft, that had open stick gimbles the smoothest sticks I've ever felt. again on 27megs it may have been called a Series 76.
ebeneezer
ebeneezer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:18 am

ebeneezer wrote:I have a 3 channel kraft set on 27megs, with it a receiver/servo brick, that could be switched from red to brown , the first proportianal system I had, it never let me down. My dad a six channel Kraft, that had open stick gimbles the smoothest sticks I've ever felt. again on 27megs it may have been called a Series 76.

Yeah, Kraft was definitely THE radio to have back in the day. The prices of the complete sets are almost breath-taking when you consider that they were in 1960's 1970's dollars!

My EK Logitrol set REALLY put a dent in my finances, but it worked...and worked...and worked !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  ekitten2 Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:14 am

i aslo have used the slideing rail set up many times aslo for aleron/flaps (flapperons) and even once in reverse as a aleron/spoiler combo on a large glider
ekitten2
ekitten2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down