Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

NO pliers, but how do I get it off? Cox_ba12

NO pliers, but how do I get it off? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 6:19 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 5:44 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by balogh Today at 1:10 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Cox International Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

NO pliers, but how do I get it off? Empty
Live on Patrol

NO pliers, but how do I get it off?

Go down

NO pliers, but how do I get it off? Empty NO pliers, but how do I get it off?

Post  daviddiag Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:50 am

OK, guys, one of these old Babe Bees I have been cleaning up, has a slit port cylinder with no wrench flats milled into top fin... How do I get that one apart? Instinct of 40 years as auto mechanic says wrap with rag or leather and use PLIERS! Suggestions???

David

daviddiag
daviddiag
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

NO pliers, but how do I get it off? Empty Re: NO pliers, but how do I get it off?

Post  nitroairplane Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:01 am

Yes use pliers and leather.
How old is the engines?
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

NO pliers, but how do I get it off? Empty Re: NO pliers, but how do I get it off?

Post  fit90 Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:05 am

I'v had hit or miss luck with a strap wrench. If the strap wrench doesn'y work I wrap a section of the strap around the cylinder and use pliers around it.
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  daviddiag Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:07 am

This one I think is from 70s or 80s. Has any one seen one like this? This is the only one I have ever seen, with no provision for removal. Is this a fluke or normal production?
daviddiag
daviddiag
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

NO pliers, but how do I get it off? Empty no pliers,but how do I get it off?

Post  milocox Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:28 am

Hi David, Having been an engine tech for many years,I have made tools to fit certain certain jobs,or in your case make the job fit the tool.Take a fine flat bastard file(sorry guys not cussin,thats what they are called)and carefully create two flat spots on the cylinder fins as the cox factory did,I did say carefully?Possibly fit it for your standard cox wrench,or a open end,or cresent,You may consider holding the crankcase/cylinder assy in a soft jaw vise tank and head removed to accomplish this finety.Just a thought,curious to hear what the rest of the forum do? Steady Hands, milocox
milocox
milocox

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:37 am

daviddiag wrote:This one I think is from 70s or 80s. Has any one seen one like this? This is the only one I have ever seen, with no provision for removal. Is this a fluke or normal production?

For some reason, Cox did manufacture slit cylinders with no reliefs for tools. I think they were dual bypass.

I have at least one that is mangled on the outside from pliers.
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  daviddiag Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:12 am

I got it off, with no marks and no crush! Lucky me! Leather did not provide enough grip. I stretch wound the lower part of the cylinder with some old Sig competition rubber that was in a sealed can that I had forgotten I had. Ah, the free flight rubber days! I used a small pair of pliers that the curve of the jaws closely matched the diameter of the cylinder and held the crankcase with a Cox wrench. The cylinder is in fact a duel by-pass. Thanks for the input boys. Pliers are part of life!

David
daviddiag
daviddiag
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:09 pm

Have had good luck with this setup many times, after a good soak.

NO pliers, but how do I get it off? Img_0819
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:46 pm

crankbndr wrote:Have had good luck with this setup many times, after a good soak.

I do the same thing i .e. wrap the sharp edges of cylinder removal tools in plastic foil before I place them on the cylinder to avoid or at least minimize scratches.

Quite recently I read here that the gun-blue fluid may repair scratches on the beautiful black fins of the COX cylinders so I went to the nearest gun shop, bought some of this fluid and am fully geared now to give COX engines a new life!!! (Thanks Rusty I guess it was you to drop this advice). Before that I used to paint the cylinders in heat-resistant black paint that also required some cooking afterwards in the kitchen owen and have left the surface uneven.

Gun blue is the thing we need here....
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:59 pm

A method that I've read about but not tried is to drill a piece of wood the diameter of the cylinder, then saw the wood in half. Use the wood as a fixture to clamp the wood in a vise. The force is supposed to be distributed evenly around the cylinder so you can remove it from the crankcasse.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

NO pliers, but how do I get it off? Empty Cylinder removal

Post  Mike1484 Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:25 pm

I file the top cooling fin to match the wrench.A bit of heat and some penetrating oil helps in exstream cases.Cox didn't put them together with pliers so don't take them apart with pliers.If you have a lathe with a collet bar and collets that will work also.

Mike1484

Mike1484
Mike1484
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

NO pliers, but how do I get it off? Empty Twin slit, dual bypass, no place for a tool

Post  DJDave44 Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:04 pm

This was the answer I was looking for. I have four cylinders like this, all used but clean and new looking. Now I know what to do with them. Thanks.

Dave
DJDave44
DJDave44

Back to top Go down

NO pliers, but how do I get it off? Empty re: no tool

Post  happydad Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:58 am

DJDave44 wrote:This was the answer I was looking for. I have four cylinders like this, all used but clean and new looking. Now I know what to do with them. Thanks.

Dave

i personally used a dremel tool and very carefully cut the top fin on the cylinder to match the cox tool. works great and looks just like most of the normal cylinders which were not re-anodized after being cut. notice i said very carefully. if you cutoff too much you can still use a crescent wrench, but the cylinder looks a little funny with a fin cut short. happydad Small Cox Logo

Futaba Radio RC Plane
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:38 am

Of course there's always the oft told method of using a good soak in Hoppe's #9 Gun Cleaning Solvent followed by the application of mild heat from a butane (or propane torch.

Be gentle mind you! Give the solvent some time do it's job. I seriously doubt that the problem was caused by overtightening.

(This has been covered here SO many times) Wink Wink
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:09 am

crankbndr wrote:Have had good luck with this setup many times, after a good soak.

bingo! but remember to add H E A T !!!!!!!!!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:15 am

happydad wrote:

I personally used a dremel tool and very carefully cut the top fin on the cylinder to match the cox tool. works great and looks just like most of the normal cylinders which were not re-anodized after being cut. ...........

My approach, too. I use a cutoff wheel, but, like happydad posted, it does take a steady hand.

A points file or jewelers file may be used to clean up any burrs left by the Dremel. A touch of Cold Blue can be used to re-color the fin, but it must be absolutely clean for the blueing to work well.

andrew
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:48 am

daviddiag wrote:I got it off, with no marks and no crush! Lucky me! Leather did not provide enough grip. I stretch wound the lower part of the cylinder with some old Sig competition rubber that was in a sealed can that I had forgotten I had. Ah, the free flight rubber days! I used a small pair of pliers that the curve of the jaws closely matched the diameter of the cylinder and held the crankcase with a Cox wrench. The cylinder is in fact a duel by-pass. Thanks for the input boys. Pliers are part of life!

David

To kinda reverse your process, you can Tool-dip/Plasti-dip a set of Channel locks and basically get the same results,,which is what I do. I have several sets of jawed pliers that are double and triple dipped for accomplishing the same style of task without marring delicate surfaces,,from gunsmithing to model stuff. Ace hardware stocks the Yellow and red Plasti-dip and sometimes the black color. I cut a set of bench vice jaws out of aluminum angle and Plasti-dipped the project contacting surfaces for a tight no mar clamping surface.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:00 pm

Well heck, upon ocassion I've used a piece of conveyor belt rubber to cushion the fins from pliers or vice jaws. But that was before I went to the "soak & mild heat" routine.

I'd like to think I've learned a few things along the way. lol! lol! lol!
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:57 pm

SuperDave wrote:Well heck, upon ocassion I've used a piece of conveyor belt rubber to cushion the fins from pliers or vice jaws. But that was before I went to the "soak & mild heat" routine.

I'd like to think I've learned a few things along the way. lol! lol! lol!

Never mind about bathtime Dave, what about the engines?
Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down