Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Fox engines Cox_ba12

Fox engines Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by Kim Today at 3:23 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by balogh Today at 12:55 am

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Fox engines Empty
Live on Patrol

Fox engines

Go down

Fox engines Empty Fox engines

Post  Cribbs74 Tue May 15, 2012 10:17 am

Currently I am driving back and forth to FT Smith AR to visit family on weekends, I was unaware that the Fox engine company is located there on Towsen ave. I must have driven past it a dozen times.

Thanks to Kim's old adverts I became aware of it's existance. I mentioned the Fox engine factory to my Father-in-law and he was like "Oh yeah, I installed some windows in Duke Foxs' house back in the late '60's He also mentioned that Duke accused them of cracking the granite counter top LOL.

Anyway, are Fox engines any good? I see they still offer CL engines from .15 on up. Just wondering as I was thinking of picking up one seeing as it has some signifigance to my in-laws home town area.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Fox engines Empty Fox engines

Post  Ken Cook Tue May 15, 2012 10:40 am

Hello Ron, one thing to keep in mind that NO other engine in the history of control line has flown as many planes as the Fox.35 has. More designs and models have been built around the legendary Fox.35 than any other engine period. The majority of pilots progressed from the Cox to the Fox. This would be the next stepping stone to a larger engine. Fox has had some quality issues through the years but modelers have learned to deal with some of those problems. The Fox .35 was back then and probably today the lightest production engine you could purchase weighing in at a little of 7 oz's. Currently the only engine with this kind of power is the Brodak .40 having the same weight as the Fox but it is unavailable and probably won't be available. The current Fox.35 not the ceramic version is probably the least expensive engine to obtain today.This engine has been made for 60 years and parts are obtainable practically overnight. Did you know Fox charges absolutely no labor to fix an engine if you break it or crash it?If the engine's repair bill in parts costs more than half the cost of the engine, a new engine will be offered at half the manufacturers list price. Fox also offers a trade in policy that allows you to trade in any engine running or not for half of their mfg price. This means the Fox.35 can be purchased for about $45.00. The engine is proudly made in the US. The engine is an iron piston steel sleeve engine and this takes a little finesse to break in but the engine will practically last a lifetime. These need to be broken in on a test stand using a bit of fuel but once ready they work and well. The Fox.15 is a running little motor. A bit heavy but a powerhouse. They just need the correct fuel and proper glow plugs as they do like hot plugs. The stock plugs in my opinion only work well enough to break the engine in then throw them out. The Fox.15 however uses a short plug which is probably the only current engine in production that I know in control line that uses that plug. Nothing flies a Ringmaster or a Bi slob better than a Fox.35. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Fox engines Empty Re: Fox engines

Post  Kim Tue May 15, 2012 10:44 am

Their control line engines are legendary. I've got a well-cooked .35 from about 1974 that has had all manner of trashy fuel run through it and still runs great. Since the demise of my beloved Dave Shipton "Poulan Special", it's slated to fly my Uncle's Goldberg "Buster"...ANOTHER back-burner project.

Fox engines 2_78

I have only limited experience with their throttled engines (about ten years ago), and didn't have a lot of luck getting them to idle dependably, but someone else here might have had a better time with them.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue May 15, 2012 10:48 am

Great post Ken! I punched mine right in behind while yours was loading. They are great little engines!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue May 15, 2012 11:09 am

Hello Kim, you made a great point. The blacker and gunkier a Fox.35 cylinder head is, the more that engine is desired. They take a bit of an extensive break in but they run well when all loosened up. More than likely it may not be instant gratification. The newer Fox 60th anniversary have a slightly looser fit and perform real well. One thing to keep in mind with a Fox is to get rid of the heat. Tongue mufflers work very well in increasing exhaust flow and getting the heat out but the decibel level increases. Over the years, I've self taught myself some real handy tips for making the Fox.35 run. The Fox.35 swings a 10x6 prop with authority. Many will say the OS LA.25 is a much more powerful engine but I can assure you it won't swing a 10x6 prop. I'm a Fox fan forever. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Tue May 15, 2012 11:11 am

i have a old FOX 15 engine that needs a new piston because the flange thing on the top is broken clean off and the engine is frozen solid. Where might i be able to find a replacment?
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Tue May 15, 2012 11:29 am

One thing that can be surprising is how many parts Fox still has in inventory. If you have an old engine, its certainly worth the e-mail or phone call. Sharon is quite knowledgeable and helpful when it comes to part needs. Next , you have to determine what model .15 you have as several have been introduced through the years. There was a steel fin .15 that was obvious by its 2 piece construction having the center made of steel and a two bolt backplate. The .15x I believe was the slant plug version maybe having a 3 bolt backplate configuration. The slant plug was the way the glow plug screwed into the head on an angle. This engine also has muffler provisions on the casting. Keep in mind what I suggested above concerning the repair service and trade in oppurtunity. This could be a perfect chance to upgrade for half the cost. The newer schnuerle ported .15 is also a ball bearing engine. This engine once broken in is a strong runner. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Tue May 15, 2012 11:43 am

shawn cook wrote: One thing that can be surprising is how many parts Fox still has in inventory. If you have an old engine, its certainly worth the e-mail or phone call. Sharon is quite knowledgeable and helpful when it comes to part needs. Next , you have to determine what model .15 you have as several have been introduced through the years. There was a steel fin .15 that was obvious by its 2 piece construction having the center made of steel and a two bolt backplate. The .15x I believe was the slant plug version maybe having a 3 bolt backplate configuration. The slant plug was the way the glow plug screwed into the head on an angle. This engine also has muffler provisions on the casting. Keep in mind what I suggested above concerning the repair service and trade in oppurtunity. This could be a perfect chance to upgrade for half the cost. The newer schnuerle ported .15 is also a ball bearing engine. This engine once broken in is a strong runner. Ken

cool thanks for the input Ken, from what you described it sounds like i have the .15x with the slanted glow plug. Ill contact them and see if they have what i need, if not i only payed $15 for the engine and it looks great on my dresser as a display piece
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Tue May 15, 2012 11:50 am

mitchg95 wrote:i have a old FOX 15 engine that needs a new piston because the flange thing on the top is broken clean off and the engine is frozen solid. Where might i be able to find a replacment?

Try emailing Doug Martin at dougsengines@hotmail.com , he has a huge amount of parts for obsolete Fox engines, he supplied me with all the bits I needed for my Fox .049 FAI Special rebuild.
I haven't enquired about his stock for the larger Fox engines, but he might be worth a try, he is extremely helpful and knowledgeable.

Wilf
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Tue May 15, 2012 11:51 am

Ivanhoe wrote:
mitchg95 wrote:i have a old FOX 15 engine that needs a new piston because the flange thing on the top is broken clean off and the engine is frozen solid. Where might i be able to find a replacment?

Try emailing Doug Martin at dougsengines@hotmail.com , he has a huge amount of parts for obsolete Fox engines, he supplied me with all the bits I needed for my Fox .049 FAI Special rebuild.
I haven't enquired about his stock for the larger Fox engines, but he might be worth a try, he is extremely helpful and knowledgeable.

Wilf

cool thanks for the help, ill be contacting him shortly
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue May 15, 2012 2:42 pm

Thanks for the info Ken and Kim!

I guess I should grab a couple. I would like to buy new as opposed to used so I can support the company. Too bad they don't offer anything smaller than .15, I would have liked an .049 or .07/.09.......
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Tue May 15, 2012 3:22 pm

cribbs74 wrote:Thanks for the info Ken and Kim!

I guess I should grab a couple. I would like to buy new as opposed to used so I can support the company. Too bad they don't offer anything smaller than .15, I would have liked an .049 or .07/.09.......

Doug Martin (See above for email) has brand new, assembled from old parts, Fox FAI Special .049s, cost is $60 without a tank, or $67.50 complete with tank, plus he has all glowheads, spares etc.
I can tell you that this is a pretty hot engine!

Wilf
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue May 15, 2012 5:34 pm

Ivanhoe wrote:
cribbs74 wrote:Thanks for the info Ken and Kim!

Doug Martin (See above for email) has brand new, assembled from old parts, Fox FAI Special .049s, cost is $60 without a tank, or $67.50 complete with tank, plus he has all glowheads, spares etc.
I can tell you that this is a pretty hot engine!

Wilf

Thanks Wilf, I will shoot him a message.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue May 15, 2012 7:57 pm

Here is an autobiography written by Duke Fox himself. Interesting read. It's long but, it practically covers his entire lifespan. Do yourself a favor and read it. You'll be glad you did.

http://www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/Fox.htm
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Wed May 16, 2012 5:06 am

I had a 19 when me was a yoot Ron
Great mota.
Very Happy