Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

what is your least favorite part of building? Cox_ba12

what is your least favorite part of building? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by crankbndr Yesterday at 7:26 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

what is your least favorite part of building? Empty
Live on Patrol

what is your least favorite part of building?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

what is your least favorite part of building? Empty what is your least favorite part of building?

Post  mitchg95 Tue May 15, 2012 11:13 am

what is your?
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

what is your least favorite part of building? Empty Re: what is your least favorite part of building?

Post  Kim Tue May 15, 2012 11:24 am

HINGING CONTROL SURFACES !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

what is your least favorite part of building? Empty Re: what is your least favorite part of building?

Post  mitchg95 Tue May 15, 2012 11:44 am

mine is insalling angled wing tips, i usually leave them off the model
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ahrma_581 Tue May 15, 2012 12:48 pm

Fitting engine to beam type motor mount, straight. Plans call for 1.342 degrees down thrust and .00019 radians right thrust. Engine crankcase has .300" slop between the beams and even making a template out of brass is just slightly better than doing it by eye.
ahrma_581
ahrma_581
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue May 15, 2012 2:49 pm

Plug planking........ It requires a good bit of sanding and test fitting.

I also don't enjoy modifying preformed plastic pieces or gluing wheel pant halves together.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Tue May 15, 2012 2:52 pm

cribbs74 wrote:Plug planking........ It requires a good bit of sanding and test fitting.

I also don't enjoy modifying preformed plastic pieces or gluing wheel pant halves together.
I love most of it but sanding is very rewarding although the noise is HORRIBLE however I get through it by putting my headphones on and listening to some (to me) good music!
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  ozmo Tue May 15, 2012 3:11 pm

Hi,
Building is fun for me. Worst part is being sure to finish other projects before starting new ones.....REALLY still working on that one Wink

Sanding is just tolerated. I do it outdoors no matter how cold or hot it gets.
ozmo
ozmo
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Tue May 15, 2012 3:13 pm

Fixing something I did wrong.
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Tue May 15, 2012 6:32 pm

The building in general Smile
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/wingingit74/

Back to top Go down

Post  shell shock Tue May 15, 2012 6:43 pm

damn covering... *mutters to thy self*
shell shock
shell shock
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Tue May 15, 2012 6:55 pm

ozmo wrote:Hi,
Building is fun for me. Worst part is being sure to finish other projects before starting new ones.....REALLY still working on that one Wink

Sanding is just tolerated. I do it outdoors no matter how cold or hot it gets.

lol, i dop that all the time start a new project before other one is completed. i probably should do the sanding outside but i just sand where ever i am sometimes the couch sometimes when i am sitting in bed watching the three stooges or sitting on the floor
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue May 15, 2012 9:44 pm

mitchg95 wrote:lol, i dop that all the time start a new project before other one is completed. i probably should do the sanding outside but i just sand where ever i am sometimes the couch sometimes when i am sitting in bed watching the three stooges or sitting on the floor
I guess that's better than eating saltine crackers in bed. Your Mom is going to whack you with a vacuum hose one of these days. Laughing

Measuring 7 times, and then cutting the wrong size. I do that more than putting things on upside down or backwards.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  mitchg95 Tue May 15, 2012 11:34 pm

RknRusty wrote:
mitchg95 wrote:lol, i dop that all the time start a new project before other one is completed. i probably should do the sanding outside but i just sand where ever i am sometimes the couch sometimes when i am sitting in bed watching the three stooges or sitting on the floor
I guess that's better than eating saltine crackers in bed. Your Mom is going to whack you with a vacuum hose one of these days. Laughing

Measuring 7 times, and then cutting the wrong size. I do that more than putting things on upside down or backwards.

lol, i hate getting the wrong size and then being in a hurry then not noticing till the glue has already dried
mitchg95
mitchg95
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed May 16, 2012 12:04 am

RknRusty wrote:

Yeah...and working on a project when you're tired, and OUGHT to go to bed!

Secret Confession! Home from night shift...determined to get Pool Boy II project framed up in one session...work till totally Zombied...get up that afternoon ready to break out the Aero Gloss, and discover that the bottom wing won't seat properly.
BECAUSE....I'D BUILT THE SLANT-SIDED FUSELAGE UP-SIDE DOWN !!!!!!!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Wed May 16, 2012 8:25 am

Kim wrote:
.......work till totally Zombied...get up that afternoon ready to break out the Aero Gloss, and discover that the bottom wing won't seat properly.

LOL!

Sorry for the LOL (at least I didn't have a mouth full of coffee), but I've been there before. At least I can now blame all my WTF moments on senior moments --- my last one cost me about $90 bucks!!
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Wed May 16, 2012 8:27 am

Least favorite part of building: COVERING!!!
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed May 16, 2012 9:36 am

andrew wrote:
Kim wrote:
.......work till totally Zombied...get up that afternoon ready to break out the Aero Gloss, and discover that the bottom wing won't seat properly.

LOL!

Sorry for the LOL (at least I didn't have a mouth full of coffee), but I've been there before. At least I can now blame all my WTF moments on senior moments --- my last one cost me about $90 bucks!!

Hey, I had to laugh at myself...well, OK...maybe not at THAT particular moment ! I've always packed along SOME kind of label...when I was young, I was "Scatter-Brained"...now that I'm in my late 50's, I'm "Senile". Different can..same contents !!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Wed May 16, 2012 10:26 am

New dreaded part....

Beveling control surfaces! I just made an EPP elevator set look really ugly.
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ahrma_581 Wed May 16, 2012 10:50 am

andrew wrote:Least favorite part of building: COVERING!!!

The ratio of results to expectations is always low for me. Finish seems to degrade as you go from sanding to covering to doping...

Same thing happens painting motorcycle parts. Spend a week getting the surface absolutely flatted. Two days priming and sanding. Another day filling spots visible in primer, looking good now. Spray color base coat. OK, a little orange peel, but still good from 3 feet away. Shoot clear, sure there are a couple runs and more orange peel, but just on less visible areas. Then I drop the part in the dirt.
ahrma_581
ahrma_581
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed May 16, 2012 11:10 am

ahrma_581 wrote:The ratio of results to expectations is always low for me. Finish seems to degrade as you go from sanding to covering to doping...

Same thing happens painting motorcycle parts. Spend a week getting the surface absolutely flatted. Two days priming and sanding. Another day filling spots visible in primer, looking good now. Spray color base coat. OK, a little orange peel, but still good from 3 feet away. Shoot clear, sure there are a couple runs and more orange peel, but just on less visible areas. Then I drop the part in the dirt.
what is your least favorite part of building? Rofl-1 I am so glad to know I'm not the only klutz here. I always imagine you guys do perfect work.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Wed May 16, 2012 11:14 am

WingingIt74 wrote:The building in general Smile

Me Three
Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ahrma_581 Wed May 16, 2012 12:33 pm

RknRusty wrote:what is your least favorite part of building? Rofl-1 I am so glad to know I'm not the only klutz here. I always imagine you guys do perfect work.

Well, there are people who do perfect work. They usually stick to the things they know/do well. I just tend towards competent amateurism in a broad range of skills...
ahrma_581
ahrma_581
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Wed May 16, 2012 3:23 pm

Finding that my hands are too big to reach inside the fuselage to connect pushrods!
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed May 16, 2012 4:25 pm

Ivanhoe wrote:Finding that my hands are too big to reach inside the fuselage to connect pushrods!
Finding out that I measured the pushrod wire before putting the bends in!
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Wed May 16, 2012 5:21 pm

nitroairplane wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:Finding that my hands are too big to reach inside the fuselage to connect pushrods!
Finding out that I measured the pushrod wire before putting the bends in!

Cutting the last piece of carbon fiber pushrod, and then finding out it is too short...
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next