Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Speed Event Buder Park Fenton, Mo.  Random Photos Cox_ba12

Speed Event Buder Park Fenton, Mo.  Random Photos Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 5:40 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Today at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Today at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Today at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Today at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Today at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Today at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Today at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Yesterday at 7:32 pm

» TD 09 Ducted Fan
by getback Yesterday at 8:41 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Speed Event Buder Park Fenton, Mo.  Random Photos Empty
Live on Patrol

Speed Event Buder Park Fenton, Mo. Random Photos

Go down

Speed Event Buder Park Fenton, Mo.  Random Photos Empty Speed Event Buder Park Fenton, Mo. Random Photos

Post  Kim Sun May 20, 2012 9:25 am

Decided to take my bike up to St. Louis yesterday, and check out a Speed Event that was listed on my calendar. I know just about nothing about this area of our hobby, and just took some video, pulling these stills from that footage.

The location is just west of St.Louis, in Fenton, Missouri and is called "Buder Park". They have two beautiful full-circle paved sites for control line...one enclosed with a chain-link fence. There's also an R/C field, and and while I was looking at the the racers, a model rocket was launched from somewhere over there...Fun Place !

I got there late in the afternoon after a slow start from home and a fatiguing ride through some interesting St. Louis traffic. They were wrapping it up, but I still managed to get a little footage.

The pilot is given three laps for his model to get up to speed, with the judges counting them off. He then places his hand in the yoke for a timed, ten-lap run.

Speed Event Buder Park Fenton, Mo.  Random Photos 0_12

Speed Event Buder Park Fenton, Mo.  Random Photos 1_121

Speed Event Buder Park Fenton, Mo.  Random Photos 2_79

Speed Event Buder Park Fenton, Mo.  Random Photos 3_65

Speed Event Buder Park Fenton, Mo.  Random Photos 4_41

Speed Event Buder Park Fenton, Mo.  Random Photos 5_33

Speed Event Buder Park Fenton, Mo.  Random Photos 6_31

Speed Event Buder Park Fenton, Mo.  Random Photos 7_27

Speed Event Buder Park Fenton, Mo.  Random Photos 9_20

Speed Event Buder Park Fenton, Mo.  Random Photos 10_17

Speed Event Buder Park Fenton, Mo.  Random Photos 11_16
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Speed Event Buder Park Fenton, Mo.  Random Photos Empty Re: Speed Event Buder Park Fenton, Mo. Random Photos

Post  RknRusty Sun May 20, 2012 9:49 am

Now I see how a speed pan is used. I never was quite sure about that.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Speed Event Buder Park Fenton, Mo.  Random Photos Empty Re: Speed Event Buder Park Fenton, Mo. Random Photos

Post  Kim Sun May 20, 2012 10:01 am

RknRusty wrote:Now I see how a speed pan is used. I never was quite sure about that.

Yeah...these are different animals alright...something else I noticed was that the fuel tank center is well below the spraybar...but guess that since these racers are gonna stay level for their flight, there won't be a that much of a change in mixture once it's set....
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Sun May 20, 2012 10:04 am

That Tyro bipe is fabulous, and with a Drone diesel! It's always seemed odd to me that most of the earliest control line models were speed designs, then speed sort of dropped to a minority interest.
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ahrma_581 Sun May 20, 2012 1:15 pm

Ivanhoe wrote:That Tyro bipe is fabulous, and with a Drone diesel! It's always seemed odd to me that most of the earliest control line models were speed designs, then speed sort of dropped to a minority interest.

Altho' in a way that is kind of a logical progression. At first, it was enough just to get things going around level in a circle consistently. Then you see how fast it can go. Next you move on to wing-overs, loops, inverted, etc. as the designs are refined.

Except for that orange, rear exhaust unit, most of those look like vintage designs.
ahrma_581
ahrma_581
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ivanhoe Sun May 20, 2012 1:51 pm

ahrma_581 wrote:
Ivanhoe wrote:That Tyro bipe is fabulous, and with a Drone diesel! It's always seemed odd to me that most of the earliest control line models were speed designs, then speed sort of dropped to a minority interest.

Altho' in a way that is kind of a logical progression. At first, it was enough just to get things going around level in a circle consistently. Then you see how fast it can go. Next you move on to wing-overs, loops, inverted, etc. as the designs are refined.

Except for that orange, rear exhaust unit, most of those look like vintage designs.

Yes, I suppose you are right there, I've seen a number of early C/L kits which were virtually streamlined engines, but then, as you say, people got tired of just going round in circles!
Ivanhoe
Ivanhoe
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sun May 20, 2012 6:20 pm

RknRusty wrote:Now I see how a speed pan is used. I never was quite sure about that.

The speed pan, besides providing structural support for the plane, had two other important functions. It gave a completely true base for mounting the engine --- this would keep the case from distorting any whatsoever. Secondly, cooling on these engines was kept to an ablsolute minimum to reduce drag. The speed pans, almost always magnesium, served as an effective heat sink to pull heat out of the crankcase.

These speed planes are wicked fast and the engine work needed to be competitive is superb.

Kim, you're a brave man to ride a bike in St. Louis ---- how was the ride across the bridge?
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun May 20, 2012 8:47 pm

andrew wrote:

Kim, you're a brave man to ride a bike in St. Louis ---- how was the ride across the bridge?

The bridge was nothing...I-270 was pretty much suicide!

Thanks to my free-wheeling 60's view of the world (I don't need no stink'n maps!), I DIDN'T hoof it to Fenton by hitting 141 south of THE ZONE OF DEATH and by-pass 270...then, I didn't realize that I could have taken 40 up into town for a visit with Katie (her wild-eyed and somewhat pale mom, Pattie, was riding with me!) and GOT BACK ON 270 for a loop around to I-55 !!!

Speed limits and turn signals be cast-to-the-devil, you just point the big bike at the nearest slot and stomp it!

Though, in the midst of all the potential carnage, it WAS entertaining to watch the young Crouch-Rocket Crazies, blasting their bikes through lanes of traffic like dolphins riding wild surf...

I must love these silly toy airplanes quite a bit...

As far as the "brave" part...I reckon it's just the Aerogloss Chickens---come home to roost !!!!!!

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down