Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Favorite Musciano/Scientific Models Cox_ba12

Favorite Musciano/Scientific Models Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Favorite Musciano/Scientific Models Empty
Live on Patrol

Favorite Musciano/Scientific Models

Go down

Favorite Musciano/Scientific Models Empty Favorite Musciano/Scientific Models

Post  Kim Sun Sep 18, 2011 8:44 am

While it's a nearly impossible call to make (at least for me), my favorite, all-time Walt Musciano/Scientific kit is "Big Otto". It was the first "built-up wing" model I glued together as a 12-year-old kid.

I'd go onto build other Scientific kits, swapping my hard working "America's Hobby Center" Babe Bee across several airframes but, while the sheet-wing types were great, once the engine died, their glide to landing often left a lot to be desired.

When "Big Otto" ran out of fuel, you were rewarded with a graceful glide to a (with practice) gentle touch and roll-out on it's single main wheel.

Almost ten years ago, I built a replica Big Otto from a plan sheet I ordered from Mr Musciano himself. I also built a 10% larger "Big-Big Otto" and powered it with a TeeDee .049. Both planes fly great on 35" lines, and let me take a quick flashback to my youth with each engine start.

Favorite Musciano/Scientific Models 0_10

Favorite Musciano/Scientific Models 3_12

Favorite Musciano/Scientific Models 1_13

Through his great line of affordable kits, Mr. Musciano's allowed a lot of kids to get their first taste of building success, and offered a primer for the more complex airplanes to come. One of my heroes in this hobby.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Favorite Musciano/Scientific Models Empty Re: Favorite Musciano/Scientific Models

Post  Cz10 Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:37 am

OK, I'll ask the same question I asked in another post.

I assume you are aware of the article that was in Half A Magazine that Blackhawk Models is putting out?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1469802

The first issue had a very nice story on Walt. The second issue had one on John Frisoli - "The man behind Sceintific Models" and the third a story on Roy Cox.

While I had heard the name Walt Musciano and knew of Scientific and of course L.M. Cox, I knew nothing of the men themselves. All interesting, worthwhile reads.

I was not into Walt's flying logs because as you pointed out, that was how they flew. I was building planes with built-up wings (baby Ringmasters and Flite Streaks) and only tried one of Walt's designs - a Fireball as I recall that I think met an eventual end that met it's name in an experiment to see if we could get a plane on fire to fly.
Cz10
Cz10
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Favorite Musciano/Scientific Models Empty Re: Favorite Musciano/Scientific Models

Post  SuperDave Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:26 am

My only concern with MOST Musiano kits today is the "Hollow log" fuselages which require extentive sanding and time-consuming preparation not suitable for the impatient such as kids.

Better suited is a "profile" model which goes together much more quickly with far less effort. The end result may be the same but I seriously doubt if a kid would appreciate the difference.

Having taught MANY kids to fly myself I know that of which I write.

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:46 am

Cz10 wrote:OK, I'll ask the same question I asked in another post.

I assume you are aware of the article that was in Half A Magazine that Blackhawk Models is putting out?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1469802

The first issue had a very nice story on Walt. The second issue had one on John Frisoli - "The man behind Sceintific Models" and the third a story on Roy Cox.

While I had heard the name Walt Musciano and knew of Scientific and of course L.M. Cox, I knew nothing of the men themselves. All interesting, worthwhile reads.

I was not into Walt's flying logs because as you pointed out, that was how they flew. I was building planes with built-up wings (baby Ringmasters and Flite Streaks) and only tried one of Walt's designs - a Fireball as I recall that I think met an eventual end that met it's name in an experiment to see if we could get a plane on fire to fly.

Hey CZ,

Nope, either missed your post or didn't have it sink in...but will check it out.

Yeah, I had no idea who Mr. Musciano was when my uncle got me started flying in 1967/68. What caught my attention were the full and half/page Scientific adds, showcasing great looking model planes that where within striking distance of my lawn mowing/GRIT selling budget.

After building a "Zig Zag", which was nearly impossible to land with any dignity, I stayed with the built-up wing models, and cranked out "Big Otto", "Zipper", and the "Sizzilin' Liz" mustang.

Favorite Musciano/Scientific Models Old_sc11

Some others of the sheet wing variety did fly and glide somewhat well. I built one of Riley Wooten's "Lil Bat" 1/2Acombat wings for the specific purpose of teaching myself inverted flight (wanted to spare my nicer models), and it served well, living a fairly long life.

Favorite Musciano/Scientific Models Add_wi10

Favorite Musciano/Scientific Models Lil_bo10

Thanks again for the site address...will check it out.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:45 pm

SuperDave wrote:My only concern with MOST Musiano kits today is the "Hollow log" fuselages which require extentive sanding and time-consuming preparation not suitable for the impatient such as kids.

Better suited is a "profile" model which goes together much more quickly with far less effort. The end result may be the same but I seriously doubt if a kid would appreciate the difference.

SD

Actually,

The Black Hawk Models are, for all intents and purposes, the same thing as a profile model...glue the fuse to the wing, glue the tailfeathers to the fuse, paint it, chuck on the controls and engine and it's action time!

The folks at Black Hawk do a pretty good job, so the log fuselage just takes some light sanding, certainly no more than a profile model, and the engine mount is even easier because you just glue it to the front of the block...no triangle stock or other bracing to install. AND...they carry pilots!

Of course, it's a personal preference thing, so whatever someone likes...

Favorite Musciano/Scientific Models Golden10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cz10 Sun Sep 18, 2011 2:10 pm

I have this kit

http://www.blackhawkmodels.com/cyclone.html

To get the raw fuselage to something resembling this

Favorite Musciano/Scientific Models IMAGE_1000000159

Is going to take a bit of shaping.

Last edited by Cz10 on Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cz10
Cz10
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:23 pm

Oh to be sure...and that IS a beautiful model...but to take one of their kits from box to Ballpark Bug Killer, all you really need is a sheet of fine sandpaper, glue, and some form of fuel proofing.

Doubt my Golden Hawk or Stunt Trainer will be that pretty...but they WILL be fun!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cz10 Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:37 pm

I have an unopened Golden Hawk that I got at the same time as the Cyclone...

I am thinking a spindle sander ought to be the ticket for shaping.

http://www.amazon.com/DELTA-SA350K-Shopmaster-4-Horsepower-Complete/dp/B00006JZZW/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1316381768&sr=1-3

Cz10
Cz10
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:52 pm

Hey, whatever works !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cz10 Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:06 pm

BTW - thanks for the MAN scans. I remember pouring over the AHC adds to see what was new and wishing I had a big budget.
Cz10
Cz10
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:12 pm

You're welcome. I've collected almost all of the magazines my uncle gave me from late 67' through 71'...and I STILL like looking thru these ads and remembering the feeling...
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:57 pm

Hi Kim,

Neat post! The only one I ever built was the TriPacer, I remeber it flew ok, it was pretty fast, splatted it after several flights. I remember thinking the 'built-up' fuselage was neat. My favorite 1/2a kit was the Sterling P-51

-My only concern with MOST Musiano kits today is the "Hollow log" fuselages which require extentive sanding and time-consuming preparation not suitable for the impatient such as kids.

Sanding, whats that? We don't need so stinking sandpaper...just keep adding dope, lol! I remember as a young kid building those kits in a evening so I could go flying the next day. I don't think we even thought of sanding.

Mark

Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:26 am

Mark Boesen wrote:Hi Kim,

Neat post! The only one I ever built was the TriPacer, I remeber it flew ok, it was pretty fast, splatted it after several flights. I remember thinking the 'built-up' fuselage was neat. My favorite 1/2a kit was the Sterling P-51

-My only concern with MOST Musiano kits today is the "Hollow log" fuselages which require extentive sanding and time-consuming preparation not suitable for the impatient such as kids.

Sanding, whats that? We don't need so stinking sandpaper...just keep adding dope, lol! I remember as a young kid building those kits in a evening so I could go flying the next day. I don't think we even thought of sanding.

Mark

Hey Mark!

Yes! I lived that life! Rough wood, wrinkled silkspan, dirt chewing little engines, layers of that strange putty composed of infield dirt and fuel, and still, somehow the things flew!

And now, there's even an aerodynamic term for a REALLY rough finish..."TURBULATION" !

Turns out, at the tender age of 13, I was an Aerospace Engineer, and didn't know it!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down