Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox 049 timing Cox_ba12

Cox 049 timing Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by balogh Today at 12:55 am

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox 049 timing Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox 049 timing

Go down

Cox 049 timing Empty Cox 049 timing

Post  NeedNitro Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:35 pm

Does anyone know the timing of the various 049's. Is there data available???
NeedNitro
NeedNitro
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Cox 049 timing Empty Re: Cox 049 timing

Post  nitroairplane Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:58 pm

Port timing?
Ignition timing?
Intake timing?
I am sorry I don't know but I know the diesel ones have variable ignition timing.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:35 pm

If you mean igntion timing, it not adjustable. as it uses a glo rather than spark plug.

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  jetpack Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:22 pm

I know what NeedNitro is talking about but I havent seen anything as far as anyone putting a degree wheel on one before. It would be neat to see the numbers even though I'm a rookie at interpreting them.

There are shims in existence that fit under the barrel of .049's cylinder to allow raising the timing of the intake and exhaust.
jetpack
jetpack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:28 pm

My only experience with a degree wheel is with timing gears and cams in the SBC which, of course, is a four-stroke motor. Coxes are two-strokers. Two very different critters.

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:33 pm

I replaced the timing belt in my Mazda a couple of months ago. It was a PITA.
All I know about Cox timing, as stated above, is to raise and lower the cylinder height with shims. That just moves the exhaust ports up or down. As well as changing the compression.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:48 pm

RknRusty wrote:I replaced the timing belt in my Mazda a couple of months ago. It was a PITA.
All I know about Cox timing, as stated above, is to raise and lower the cylinder height with shims. That just moves the exhaust ports up or down. As well as changing the compression.

Rusty:

Didn't you read the Mazda manual first? I like the automotive manuals by Haynes; inexpensive and very helpful. Timing belts are EZ.

Raising or lowering the cylinder of a Cox also raises or lowers the compression ratio. Not usually a good thing to do. Shocked

SD

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  jetpack Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:54 pm

I think the idea behind the shims is to get the SPI working proper which overweighs the problem of it, but yeah your right...raising what is there for exhaust isnt good. Compression ratio I think you can squeeze a bit out of a head by sanding it but you can only sand down to the first fin until it says it has to stop, but then you start shaving the lip on the top of the cylinder to keep increasing it if I'm thinking back right.

That would all be way extreme though. I think just sinking the combustion shape down a bit by sanding the plug might help with the loss. The shims are very thin, all in a range below .010" I think so about the same on the plug I would imagine or even less.

There's also what kind of glow head you have.
jetpack
jetpack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fred Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:49 pm

My experiences with cyl shims is to use them to get the Transfer ports to properly align with the Con rod trough in the crankcase for a direct fuel flow up the transfers. Someone neglected to index his Cyls to his Crankases.
Timings on TD's are actually very conservative.. surprisingly so.
IMO You couldn't fit enough shims to achieve a radical/performance timings setup . North American approach seemed to be to add lotsa Nitro to compensate for inadequate/ancient design .. unquestionably so in the 50's.
Only a fresh Cyl Design would make significant difference. That! certainly ..Never.. happened.
Ever wonder Why? there are 2 ex ports on a COX?? Me too ! NO other engine has... or... needs those.
Clearly two transfer ports is 'not enough' either. Goofy 'after the fact' Flutes aside.
What was Leroy thinking? He could have easily eliminated one ex port and added another transfer.. cheaply.
Only a fresh Cyl Design would have make significant difference. That! certainly ..Never.. happened.
In fairness the design was cast in stone very early on, immutably apparently, long before CZ advanced 2 stroke design dramatically in mid 50's. COX was ALL about mass production, Not 2 stroke design advances.
My Old Yama TZ350 Racers have a higher HP outut (when size extrapolated) than ANY cox ever built, by at least twice and arguably 3X and that's on Gasoline, Not nitro/ methanol fuel.. but then it has carefully designed squish and 7 transfer ports also the ex duration is 207 degrees .. It also runs, not too problematically, on the street.
Anonymous
fred

Back to top Go down

Post  jetpack Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:27 am

Good point on using the shims to properly index the cylinder. If you are familiar Cox had the TD .15 single exhaust port engine which were timed threads. About the two exhaust ports having to do with performance I am not sure either way. You would think it would have an affect on the swirl patterns and there are swirl patterns. I've had them on my pistons before so thats all way past where I can think. I've often wondered about heat distortion between the two.

Theres a white and red TZ rolled out at the dealer I have to pass to go to the grocery store here in town. I've lived without a bike for awhile and grew up on them and this one keeps staring at me. I keep trying to convince myself I'm only going down there for pictures.

Cox 049 timing Dscf2016

Last edited by jetpack on Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:25 am; edited 1 time in total
jetpack
jetpack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  warrenlead Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:30 am

Some good comments there fred.

There was a time when you could get "blank" Tee Dee 049 cylinders. I'm not sure how people obtained them but they were used by competition guys like "Combat Albert" who used to grind their own schnerle ported single exhaust port Tee Dee cylinders like the Tee Dee 15 MKII Special which btw did have the thread indexed properly to align the exhaust to one side.

From all reports they definitely performed better than the dual exhaust cylinders.

warrenlead
warrenlead
Gold Member
Gold Member

https://www.facebook.com/groups/coxengines/

Back to top Go down

Post  jetpack Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:54 am

They must have. I have a used one right here thats all rapped out.
jetpack
jetpack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cz10 Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:39 am

fred wrote:
Ever wonder Why? there are 2 ex ports on a COX?? Me too ! NO other engine has... or... needs those.

AC Gilbert engines have 2 exhaust ports

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19357621&postcount=59

Cz10
Cz10
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:44 am

nitroairplane wrote:Port timing?
Ignition timing?
Intake timing?
I am sorry I don't know but I know the diesel ones have variable ignition timing.

Like your Quarterhorse!!

As you mention, adjusting compression on a diesel allows you to optimize firing timing for the particular fuel, prop, and atmospheric conditions.

To do this with a glow engine, you can adjust this by adding or removing head shims.

Additionally, from my understanding, if you alter port timing by varying shims under the cylinder...GENERALLY, raising the ports makes the engine achieve best running at higher RPM, removing them lowers the running RPM. If you adjust shims, remember that you must adjust head shims also.

Bear in mind that Cox has already optimized these for us and are probably better off left alone. If one feels they need a gazillion RPM, better off getting one of those very expensive engines that will handle it.

Of course these are only opinions, individual results may vary.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:48 am

[quote="Cz10AC Gilbert engines have 2 exhaust ports

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=19357621&postcount=59

[/quote]

OK Cub, Testors, McCoy, and many others had three. Rolling Eyes

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:20 am

[quote="gcb"]
nitroairplane wrote:

Bear in mind that Cox has already optimized these for us and are probably better off left alone. If one feels they need a gazillion RPM, better off getting one of those very expensive engines that will handle it.

George

Geo says it well.

The "need for speed" is GREATLY over-played, IMO.

Personally I prefer just perfecting my pilot skills; a never ending process even after all my years in model aviation where many horizons I've yet to explored; EDF's for one.

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  GermanBeez Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:41 am

RknRusty wrote:I replaced the timing belt in my Mazda a couple of months ago. It was a PITA.
wait, doesn't adding or taking away head gaskets also move the ignition timing from a little slow (3 gaskets) to
very quick (1)?
GermanBeez
GermanBeez
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:06 pm

[quote="GermanBeez] ...wait, doesn't adding or taking away head gaskets also move the ignition timing from a little slow (3 gaskets) to very quick (1)?[/quote]

Things that affect firing timing for a glow are fuel and compression. If I understand correctly, more nitro SLOWS firing timing a bit (remember it's the alcohol that has the catalytic reaction with the glow plug), then the nitro speeds up the burn rate. That is why the engine needles better with 15%-25% nitro than it does with 0%-5%.

To bring the firing timing back to the needed level, we adjust head shims.

Optimizing firing timing this way is only for a specific prop size. For a large prop, as in Texaco, we need to slow the burn rate and retard the timing a bit.

The best way to adjust timing is to start with someone elses results, then optimize for YOUR SPECIFIC SITUATION...experiment.

I hope I got this stuff right...please check it over. Huh...

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:13 pm

gcb wrote:[quote="GermanBeez] ...wait, doesn't adding or taking away head gaskets also move the ignition timing from a little slow (3 gaskets) to very quick (1)?

Things that affect firing timing for a glow are fuel and compression. If I understand correctly, more nitro SLOWS firing timing a bit (remember it's the alcohol that has the catalytic reaction with the glow plug), then the nitro speeds up the burn rate. That is why the engine needles better with 15%-25% nitro than it does with 0%-5%.

To bring the firing timing back to the needed level, we adjust head shims.

Optimizing firing timing this way is only for a specific prop size. For a large prop, as in Texaco, we need to slow the burn rate and retard the timing a bit.

The best way to adjust timing is to start with someone elses results, then optimize for YOUR SPECIFIC SITUATION...experiment.

I hope I got this stuff right...please check it over. Huh...

George[/quote]

from what i know that is correct imagine variable ignition timing on glow engines maybe a glow head that has the same action as a contra piston not sure how one would achieve this but it would be interesting.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:17 pm

[quote="nitroairplane...from what i know that is correct imagine variable ignition timing on glow engines maybe a glow head that has the same action as a contra piston not sure how one would achieve this but it would be interesting.[/quote]

You could achieve that somewhat on an engine that uses a standard plug by switching between short, long, and medium plugs. This would extend the coil into the combustion chamber or recessing it into the head...considering norm is to have the coil even with the top of the combustion chamber.

If anyone does this, make sure you have good clearance between the plug and the piston.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bee bomber Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:55 pm

Is anyone here going to, or, participating in this event? They have Mouse I (cox engine ) races. Do you think they'll be using stock engines??

Sponsor: SCAR (Southern California Air Racing)
Event Name: 24th Annual Virgil Wilbur Memorial
Details: Saturday Racing: Mouse I (Cox engine), B/Team Race, Cal 15 and Orange Crate
Sunday Racing: NCLRA S/S Rat, NCLRA Clown, SCAR GY, Q Rat

[personal info removed by moderator. Please request PM contact from interested parties.
Thanks, Mod Team]

Last edited by RknRusty on Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:26 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : removed personal info)
bee bomber
bee bomber

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down