Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

The danger of "lurkers and "lurking" Cox_ba12

The danger of "lurkers and "lurking" Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by balogh Today at 7:23 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 5:44 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

The danger of "lurkers and "lurking" Empty
Live on Patrol

The danger of "lurkers and "lurking"

Go down

The danger of "lurkers and "lurking" Empty The danger of "lurkers and "lurking"

Post  SuperDave Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:14 pm

Anyone with any experience with I'net forums surely must realize the "presence of "lurkers and what they might do. Lurking" may appear innocent enough but consider this:

If a poster reveals too much about themselves, "lurkers" can amass a considerable amount of personal information for nefarious purposes. I once had this happen on a forum dedicated to "Letters to the Editor" in a local newspaper. Seems an antagonistic "lurker" amassed a considerable amount of information that I had written about myself in the process of writing letters.

He, in turn in his responses, began to "spill" that information for publication in the newspaper. As was probably his intent I immediately withdrew from further discussion. He could have taken it farther than he did but my departure silented him thankfully.

So here, the "lurker" won. Beware of what you write.

SD

" assembled
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

The danger of "lurkers and "lurking" Empty Re: The danger of "lurkers and "lurking"

Post  nitroairplane Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:21 pm

SuperDave wrote:Anyone with any experience with I'net forums surely must realize the "presence of "lurkers and what they might do. Lurking" may appear innocent enough but consider this:

If a poster reveals too much about themselves, "lurkers" can amass a considerable amount of personal information for nefarious purposes. I once had this happen on a forum dedicated to "Letters to the Editor" in a local newspaper. Seems an antagonistic "lurker" amassed a considerable amount of information that I had written about myself in the process of writing letters.

He, in turn in his responses, began to "spill" that information for publication in the newspaper. As was probably his intent I immediately withdrew from further discussion. He could have taken it farther than he did but my departure silented him thankfully.

So here, the "lurker" won. Beware of what you write.

SD

i feel like i am no longer safe on the internet. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
i get what you mean.

" assembled
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

The danger of "lurkers and "lurking" Empty Re: The danger of "lurkers and "lurking"

Post  RknRusty Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:59 pm

I agree. I've been a forum hound since they overtook newsgroups in popularity. I join forums for the cars I own, some of my software, personal interests, etc. Being the blabbermouth I am, I've put out all kinds of stuff about myself... like now. Computer Issues One time a forum was sold and the former owner hacked my account, posted trash, changed my password, deleted my registration, hacked my e-mail account, and on and on. He had to answer my secret security question for some things. Scared the crap out of me, but it got my attention. It finally settled down and I've tightened up since then and changed some of my habits. But I like to trust people, and sadly that can be a bad idea. Occasionally I get the paranoid feeling that he's still watching. Freakin' psycho.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:07 pm

RknRusty wrote:I agree. I've been a forum hound since they overtook newsgroups in popularity. I join forums for the cars I own, some of my software, personal interests, etc. Being the blabbermouth I am, I've put out all kinds of stuff about myself... like now. Computer Issues One time a forum was sold and the former owner hacked my account, posted trash, changed my password, deleted my registration, hacked my e-mail account, and on and on. He had to answer my secret security question for some things. Scared the crap out of me, but it got my attention. It finally settled down and I've tightened up since then and changed some of my habits. But I like to trust people, and sadly that can be a bad idea. Occasionally I get the paranoid feeling that he's still watching. Freakin' psycho.

scary Rusty there are some true wierdos on the web and then the great guys like you fellas.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:14 pm

For what I can control on here, you are all safe. Try not to say too much about yourself on any forum. I would avoid posting, email addresses (that is what the email button is for), your home address, your phone number, your birthday (m/d/y, I would say the year and even month would be okay, but try not to say the day), your full name (that is what usernames and your first name is for) and or any personal info. try to have your password be something that is completely random to anyone but you.

Last edited by Admin on Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:57 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : had to fix (do to not))
Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:17 pm

Admin wrote:For what I can control on here, you are all safe. Try not to say too much about yourself on any forum. I would avoid posting, email addresses (that is what the email button is for), your home address, your phone number, your birthday (m/d/y, I would say the year and even month would be okay, but try not to say the day), your full name (that is what usernames and your first name is for) and or any personal info. try to have your password be something that is completely random to anyone but you.

classic bit of internet safety there Smile
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cz10 Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:28 pm

This problem first raised its head for a friend of mine that I knew through ham radio ( the ORIGINAL chat room) when both small 2 meter radios became common and EVERYBODY put one in their car or had a handheld "walkie-talkie" - both worked via repeater (relay) stations on hill/mountain tops or tall buildings - what ever elevation you can get increases the coverage because it is line- of- sight (I talked to Owen Garriot on the Space Shuttle - both of us were using hand held radios with about 3w output, but, sorry, I digress).

There was a book we called the Callbook (now, of course, it is all on the web) that listed EVERYONE'S name and address by their call sign and you are required to state that call sign every 10 minutes is plain English.

My friend and his wife were involved in square dancing and when the went dancing, it was fairly common for him, being in the course of normal conversation between acquaintances, to say that they were going dancing, etc. Never gave it a thought. Then one night the came home from dancing and found their house essentially cleaned out. Co-incidence? Maybe...

Nobody had really ever given it a thought. After all, you were buddies shooting bull for the most part. Usually about radio but often about personal interest and activities - it is only natural. Frankly, that is one part about ham radio that I enjoy when it happens. I have "met" some very interesting people and owe my carrier AND my wife's job.. Pretty much everything I own, to ham radio and one of those relationships in particular (though we didn't meet on the air, he was a early customer when I started my business).

Since then, my records list my office as a mailing address (they used to make you list a station location, but those days are long gone and information wasn't as available or open, then.

So, fast forward 30 years...
Cz10
Cz10
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:52 pm

Regarding excessive ""blabbing" a WWII slogan says it best:

"Loose lips sink ships." Friends/Meeting Friends/Meeting Friends/Meeting
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down