Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cox Thimble Drome Spitfire Information wanted Cox_ba12

Cox Thimble Drome Spitfire Information wanted Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 5:44 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by balogh Today at 1:10 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Cox International Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cox Thimble Drome Spitfire Information wanted Empty
Live on Patrol

Cox Thimble Drome Spitfire Information wanted

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Cox Thimble Drome Spitfire Information wanted Empty Cox Thimble Drome Spitfire Information wanted

Post  Dneprrider Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:57 am

Hi all,
I just acquired an unflown Cox Thimble Drome Spitfire complete with box. The original owner had fired up the engine but never went any further than that. Does anyone know the approx date of manufacture and value of this?
I am not sure yet whether or not I will keep and fly myself or pass it on. I was interested as my Father had a balsa P51 Mustang when I was growing up and I thought it would be fun to try the sport. But I wouldn't want to prang it into the ground on my first flight if it has any real value.

Regards,
Richard

Cox Thimble Drome Spitfire Information wanted 185c60f7

Cox Thimble Drome Spitfire Information wanted 0e143630

Cox Thimble Drome Spitfire Information wanted E33d921d

Cox Thimble Drome Spitfire Information wanted 518c9338

Cox Thimble Drome Spitfire Information wanted 46b50d63

Cox Thimble Drome Spitfire Information wanted 8c12123d

Cox Thimble Drome Spitfire Information wanted 3df05aed

Cox Thimble Drome Spitfire Information wanted 4b182987

Cox Thimble Drome Spitfire Information wanted 0fb115db

Dneprrider
Dneprrider
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Cox Thimble Drome Spitfire Information wanted Empty Re: Cox Thimble Drome Spitfire Information wanted

Post  crankbndr Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:06 pm

That is a fairly valuable model.

crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Cox Thimble Drome Spitfire Information wanted Empty Re: Cox Thimble Drome Spitfire Information wanted

Post  coxaddicted Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:44 pm

Really Nice, i've got the same problem. I am owning a warhawk in same condition, i would try with a less valuable model.
coxaddicted
coxaddicted
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  lousyflyer Sat Sep 01, 2012 2:52 pm

Sell that jewel to a collector and get yourself something to have fun with.

I personally would not fly it as they are pretty rare, especially with the original box. Someone here should be able to give a rough estimate as to when it was made.
lousyflyer
lousyflyer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Dneprrider Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:35 am

lousyflyer wrote:
I personally would not fly it as they are pretty rare, especially with the original box.

This is my thought exactly, so thanks to all who replied. I'll start out with something to have fun with and not fly the vintage stuff.

Regards,
Richard
Dneprrider
Dneprrider
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  lousyflyer Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:21 am

lousyflyer
lousyflyer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:00 am

Nice Spit!

Yep, hang it from the ceiling or sell it on ebay. It's really hard to put a exact price on these, as the price is always determined by the market (buyer and seller) but I'd think $125-$175 area, but you just never know.

The light green Spit listed is a earlier version ('64-'65) no decal damage and much more collectable. Your version is nice, antenna is still intact and has canopy, probably early seventies (stepped cylinder, no yellow letters on fuselage, small needle head, rubber tires) I'll check my catalogs and info tonight.

Mark
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:38 am

Very nice and desireable plane. As others have suggested savor it as you would any desireable plane.

Frankly, and I speak from many years of experience, Cox plastic airplanes were NEVER spectaular performers in the flying circle. To risk that plane's "virginity" would be a travesty IMO.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:09 pm

As a beginner control liner, I can say with 100% sureity you will crash during your first flight and most of your subsequent ones.

I would suggest a basic CL trainer as seen on the Brodak site or a Goldberg Li'l Wizard. Both are tough planes and can withstand abuse. They also repair easily.

Once you are competent you may consider it although, anything can happen even if your an accomplished flyer.

Those planes were meant to be flown after all. The only difference is they are worth much more than when they were new on the shelf. It's up to you in the end. I guess you have to decide if your a collector or a flyer. Some guys are a little of both.

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:56 pm

"As a beginner control liner, I can say with 100% sureity you will crash during your first flight and most of your subsequent ones." - Ron -wisdom born of pain for most of us.

Learn to fly on a trainer rather than a valuable Cox classic Spitfire.

SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:11 pm

A major factor to consider when flying these old relics is the plastic bellcrank. I've seen several of these fail through the years. As this type of plastic ages, it gets extremely brittle. When flexed, it bends and then snaps. That would result in a devastating crash. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dneprrider Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:13 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:Nice Spit!

Yep, hang it from the ceiling or sell it on ebay. It's really hard to put a exact price on these, as the price is always determined by the market (buyer and seller) but I'd think $125-$175 area, but you just never know.

The light green Spit listed is a earlier version ('64-'65) no decal damage and much more collectable. Your version is nice, antenna is still intact and has canopy, probably early seventies (stepped cylinder, no yellow letters on fuselage, small needle head, rubber tires) I'll check my catalogs and info tonight.

Mark

Mark,
Thanks for checking your catalogs.
Regards,
Richard
Dneprrider
Dneprrider
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  lousyflyer Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:48 pm

That little antenna on yours is the deal maker. That and the box.
lousyflyer
lousyflyer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:16 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:Nice Spit!

Mark

From my info, it doesn't list the Spit after '69, but does show parts for it in the '70 catalog? The plane in question doesn't have the hot stamped yellow markings on fuselage, I'm sure this was a cost savings measure as it was probably being fazed out. I did read somewhere about a Canadian version, but that is questionable at best?
As for the needle valve the smaller diameter head was introduced in late '69 early '70 and the 'stepped' cylinder about the same time...so I'm gonna say/guess your Spit was made sometime in '70, maybe '71 and unsure when it was discontinued, but likely this was one of the last of the dark green versions. Hopefully Mud will see this and add the rest of the story.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dneprrider Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:15 pm

"I did read somewhere about a Canadian version, but that is questionable at best?"

I do believe this to be a Canadian version. The box is in both English and French. There is markings "Leisure Dynamics of Canada Ltd, Don Mills Ont" and the box says "Printed in Canada", "Product of US Origin".
Dneprrider
Dneprrider
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:03 pm

Hi Richard,

Can you please post some photos of that? That sound pretty cool, I know alot of these were sold overseas, England, Australia, etc. but this would be a new one for me.
Cox Thimble Drome Spitfire Information wanted Df39_310
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dneprrider Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:18 pm

Photos as requested.

Cox Thimble Drome Spitfire Information wanted 01eb2c7c

Cox Thimble Drome Spitfire Information wanted 4b523a5e

Cox Thimble Drome Spitfire Information wanted B9254aae

Cox Thimble Drome Spitfire Information wanted 782ec84b

Cox Thimble Drome Spitfire Information wanted Fbdfa12a

Cox Thimble Drome Spitfire Information wanted Dea70ce5

Cox Thimble Drome Spitfire Information wanted 5752fe3b

Cox Thimble Drome Spitfire Information wanted F3a3e5cb

Cox Thimble Drome Spitfire Information wanted 0812ea01

Cox Thimble Drome Spitfire Information wanted 00f8d452

Cox Thimble Drome Spitfire Information wanted 056e8416

Dneprrider
Dneprrider
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Godsey3.0 Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:34 pm

Not everyone actually crashes on their first flight. There are those who get "lucky" and manage to keep it up. I only touched ground when I began stunting. Even then it was a fairly gentle kiss with the Earth.

Rolla
Godsey3.0
Godsey3.0
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:40 pm

Godsey3.0 wrote:Not everyone actually crashes on their first flight. There are those who get "lucky" and manage to keep it up. I only touched ground when I began stunting. Even then it was a fairly gentle kiss with the Earth.

Rolla

+1...
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:02 pm

^
^
^
Don't listen to those two. Those are the only two people in the world that didn't slag their first CL plane. Laughing

If the engine turns, I would recommend adding a couple of drops of oil into the exhaust port(onto the side of the piston skirt) and into the gap behind the prop drive plate. Work it in after each of those applications. Light oil like Marvel M.O., airtool oil, or automatic transmission fluid is good. Even if you're not going to run it.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RAMJETT Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:30 pm

That spitfire is 1974 to 1975 , no doubt about it, it was sold in Canada through leisure world in Don mills Ontario ,just down the road from where I lived.I was given mine for Christmas when I was 13 years old . I have been looking for that very plane for a while .brings back lots of memories, I even remember that exact box ,every detail of that plane is branded in my memory forever. nice find. and thanks for posting those pictures ,they will help me get me by until I find one myself. LOL . cheers Roger
RAMJETT
RAMJETT
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  MeerschaumSteve Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:53 pm

That plane brings back memories. My first ever CL plane back in the 80's was a cox plastic mustang. I had so many rough landings with it where it flipped forwards, that I finally removed the landing gear our of frustration. Little wheels and grassy field don't mix. I remember at some point even making a set of silly ski's or skids out of thin coat hangers and using those to land with.. lol.

Good times..

I agree with the others. Those planes are collectors items now, and shouldn't be flown due to plastic fatigue, especially on the bellcranks.
MeerschaumSteve
MeerschaumSteve
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Cox Thimble Drome Spitfire Information wanted Empty Your Cox Spitfire will not fly.

Post  jiminbartow Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:13 pm

Back in the 60's when I was growing up, me and all of my neighborhood friends were interested in Cox airplanes. In 1967, we all received Cox airplanes for Christmas.  I received a Spitfire, one of my friends received the gloss black Stuka and another friend received a blue and yellow Stearman.  My two friends flew their planes flawlessly and all touched down perfectly as if they had flown all their lives.  Everyone was excited to see the Spitfire fly because we all agreed it was the coolest looking plane there.  Much to my disappointment, it did not fly at all.  Instead of maintaining a tight line, it flew toward me, then climbed and dove into the ground.  I tried it again, this time, tried to run away to maintain a tight line, but again it flew toward me and again went straight up and dove into the ground.  My friends tried it with the same result.  The last time I ever flew it, it did it again and finally broke the wing in half.  I never knew what the problem was but if someone here had the same problem and can solve the mystery I would appreciate it.  I certainly would not fly the Spitfire, unless you want a pile of scrap plastic in place of a beautiful display piece.  Good luck.  Jim Patrick, Bartow, Florida
jiminbartow
jiminbartow

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:52 pm

Welcome to the forum Jim!
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Nov 09, 2014 8:17 pm

Welcome Jim! I'm 54.. (born in 1960) and Cox RTF airplanes were HOT then.. and stayed hot for another 20 years at least. Heck.. "they're HOT now"!! at least in our little world here! My first was the lt. blue/beige Sopwith Camel with Babe Bee for power. I can't remember the year exactly.. but it was around 1970 I think. Although it was small.. it needed the .049... because of it's weight. It wasn't too much bigger than the Pee Wee powered Pitts.. when you compare it to most of the other low-wing models that Cox was producing... which had 18+ inch wingspans. I think the Sopwith's top wing had a 14" span.

I wonder if "by chance" your Spit was missing it's tip weight? You never know.. Cox engines were generally perfect.. Their airframe QC may have been below the engine standard.

Anyway.. Welcome again! This is an outstanding forum!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next