Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

When Bad Things Happen to Good Planes...The Old Bird is Totaled Cox_ba12

When Bad Things Happen to Good Planes...The Old Bird is Totaled Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by rdw777 Today at 5:56 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by rdw777 Today at 5:52 am

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:32 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

When Bad Things Happen to Good Planes...The Old Bird is Totaled Empty
Live on Patrol

When Bad Things Happen to Good Planes...The Old Bird is Totaled

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

When Bad Things Happen to Good Planes...The Old Bird is Totaled Empty When Bad Things Happen to Good Planes...The Old Bird is Totaled

Post  Kim Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:52 pm

On my way to work today, I got a preemptive "so-you-wouldn't-worry" phone call from one of my coworkers, letting me know that my long-time pal John had crunched his beloved PT-19 at the airport.

The good news is that John and his passenger escaped with cuts and bruises. The bad news is that the old Cornell is pretty bent. I've no doubt that, during WWII, many PT's found themselves in this undesirable situation at the hands of nervous students, but they were a much more common commodity back then.

John allowed me front-seat honors several times in this old military trainer, and it's a sad deal for me to see it this condition. No doubt that the plane is re-buildable, but it's for sure gonna be a while before the old girl takes to the air again.

When Bad Things Happen to Good Planes...The Old Bird is Totaled 1_23

When Bad Things Happen to Good Planes...The Old Bird is Totaled 2_22

When Bad Things Happen to Good Planes...The Old Bird is Totaled 3_17

When Bad Things Happen to Good Planes...The Old Bird is Totaled 4_15

Last edited by Kim on Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

When Bad Things Happen to Good Planes...The Old Bird is Totaled Empty Re: When Bad Things Happen to Good Planes...The Old Bird is Totaled

Post  RknRusty Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:50 pm

I'm glad they got out with minor injuries. Do you know what caused the wreck, was he planning to land in the grass? By the looks of the prop it looks like it was still spinning when it skidded in.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

When Bad Things Happen to Good Planes...The Old Bird is Totaled Empty Re: When Bad Things Happen to Good Planes...The Old Bird is Totaled

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:02 pm

Glad they are OK. They came down pretty hard on that wing. I'd be interested to hear what happened if you ever found out. Again, glad to hear folks are ok.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:04 pm

Was this a gear failure? Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:19 pm

Glad John and his passenger were able to walk away
from this. Makes damage to that beautiful plane
seem somewhat irrelevant.
I hope all three fly together again.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:23 pm

Looks like it's gonna be a pilot error deal. John was making a practice run for an upcoming "Flour-Bombing" contest next week. His passenger was a newspaper reporter on his first airplane ride !!!

John simply let the PT get too slow while concentrating on the drop, and the plane stalled. With the combination of low altitude and an extended flap (which, on the PT, adds a lot more drag than lift), John was a lucky pup to get the PT close to level before it struck the ground.

He's already been back to the plane, with a gruesome black eye, surveying the damage, and is pretty embarrassed over the whole deal.

http://www.kfvs12.com/story/19536476/plan-crashes-at-cape-girardeau-regional-airport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-D0Q930zK4
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:35 pm

Glad to see them walk away from that.

Chrome moly and wood can be replaced, friends can't.
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Sep 13, 2012 9:32 pm

I suppose the engine will have to be rebuilt as well as the airframe. A prop strike must stress the rotating assembly in all sorts of expensive ways.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:39 am

RknRusty wrote:I suppose the engine will have to be rebuilt as well as the airframe. A prop strike must stress the rotating assembly in all sorts of expensive ways.

Prop strikes, even very minor, generally require a complete tear-down, inspection and magnafluxing.

What a shame -- the plane looked immaculate and was obviously given a lot of TLC. The wing saddle damage on the left side and crumpled fuselage stringers will require some significant work. Two of the gremlins of flying, too low and too slow, conspired on this one -- he was trying to power out, but just needed some more altitude.

At least both flyers walked away.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:16 am

Yeah, John rebuilt the center section four years ago, after he felt an "Oil Canning" in the airframe as he taxied the PT. He had to do some deep digging, but discovered some damage to the load-bearing members between the gear legs, so the whole section was taken apart and rebuilt. While he had it apart, the engine and fuselage were also gone through by John and his helper Brian.

When Bad Things Happen to Good Planes...The Old Bird is Totaled 1_24

When Bad Things Happen to Good Planes...The Old Bird is Totaled 3_18

When Bad Things Happen to Good Planes...The Old Bird is Totaled 5_10

When Bad Things Happen to Good Planes...The Old Bird is Totaled 6_13

His work with it's engine and others has caused him to become known as "Mr. Ranger Engine", and he always seems to have one of these apart in his shop, overhauling it for somebody. He'll get it back together.

After this last round of rebuilding, he installed an electric starter which, while it made it easier on me and my buds getting the old plane going, still took away a bit of "character" from the PT!

When Bad Things Happen to Good Planes...The Old Bird is Totaled 2_23

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:33 am

Horrible. Glad they both walked away. As the FAA comes swooping in to interrogate endlessly, Pops used to call them the Gestapo of the air.

The reporter wont forget his first flight, that's for sure. Probably some new pants needed and scattered his chickens good.

Again, very glad they walked away and the plane is fixable.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:50 am

PV Pilot wrote:Horrible. Glad they both walked away. As the FAA comes swooping in to interrogate endlessly, Pops used to call them the Gestapo of the air.

The reporter wont forget his first flight, that's for sure. Probably some new pants needed and scattered his chickens good.

Again, very glad they walked away and the plane is fixable.

Yeah, "Gestapo" is one of the kinder terms we have for them here. Fortunately, I'm told that we've got one of the few "good guys" of the bunch coming down to do the investigation. He's an actual PILOT...(of all things!)...and I think will wrap it up quickly. Since there were only moderate injuries, things don't get nearly as complicated.

We've got another government idiot that shows up occasionally, waddling around the ramp and waving his plastic badge, but for whatever reason, he didn't pop out of the potter's ground on this deal.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Fri Sep 14, 2012 10:13 am

A local pilot collapsed the gear on his RV4 during a landing (parts failure). He mentioned that it took a couple years to get them(FAA) off his back about the whole thing.
PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:23 pm

Unfortunately, not an unusual situation. Perhaps the most famous is the 1990's grounding of Bob Hover, because two of these federal worms thought his airshow demonstration was "tentative". He was forced to spend tons of money to regain his rights. This American War Veteran was forced to fly his airshows in Austrailia and other country while his lawyer fought with the motherless dregs who wanted his scalp for their belts.

He eventually won the right to fly in his own country again, and I'm sure the two worms are now enjoying the retirement you and I finance.

In a Proper World, these two parasites would have been tied to the wings of Bob's Shrike during one of his flight demos, so the crowd could enjoy the brown vapor trail they'd leave.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:50 am

I have a hat that I bought from Hoover's crew when he came back to the US Air Show circuit. I seen his routine in OKC, it was very good!
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/wingingit74/

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:26 am

Youse guys seem of the anti-big goverment pursuasion. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Keep that in mind when you vote in November.

"A government that is big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take everything you've got."

President Gerald R. Ford
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:58 am

Kim wrote:Unfortunately, not an unusual situation. Perhaps the most famous is the 1990's grounding of Bob Hover, because two of these federal worms thought his airshow demonstration was "tentative". He was forced to spend tons of money to regain his rights. This American War Veteran was forced to fly his airshows in Austrailia and other country while his lawyer fought with the motherless dregs who wanted his scalp for their belts.

He eventually won the right to fly in his own country again, and I'm sure the two worms are now enjoying the retirement you and I finance.

In a Proper World, these two parasites would have been tied to the wings of Bob's Shrike during one of his flight demos, so the crowd could enjoy the brown vapor trail they'd leave.

Have you ever thought of going into politics Kim?
lol!
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:10 am

The plane crash near Springfield, I knew of the lady that was killed. Very sad... 2 adults and 3 kids were killed in a single engine plane crash. Plane was a Cirrus SR-22, which is a 4-seater with a ballistic parachute. Very sad indeed...

http://ozarksfirst.com/fulltext/?nxd_id=702822
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:30 am

John Goddard wrote:
Kim wrote:Unfortunately, not an unusual situation. Perhaps the most famous is the 1990's grounding of Bob Hover, because two of these federal worms thought his airshow demonstration was "tentative". He was forced to spend tons of money to regain his rights. This American War Veteran was forced to fly his airshows in Austrailia and other country while his lawyer fought with the motherless dregs who wanted his scalp for their belts.

lol!

I'm told I'd have to surrender my "Man Parts" first...and that just doesn't sit well with me !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:31 am

WingingIt74 wrote:The plane crash near Springfield, I knew of the lady that was killed. Very sad... 2 adults and 3 kids were killed in a single engine plane crash. Plane was a Cirrus SR-22, which is a 4-seater with a ballistic parachute. Very sad indeed...

Yeah, saw that. A very bad deal.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:39 am

A life of adventure is a life with danger ever-present. As for me I've lived a life of adventure during my seventy five years but have "dodged the bullet" of serious injury or. obviously, death. Sure tragedy happens and we grieve but such are the risks of adventure.

I can't imagine living a life without adventure ergo my signature below.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:47 am

Kim wrote:
WingingIt74 wrote:The plane crash near Springfield, I knew of the lady that was killed. Very sad... 2 adults and 3 kids were killed in a single engine plane crash. Plane was a Cirrus SR-22, which is a 4-seater with a ballistic parachute. Very sad indeed...

I didn't want to throw my opinion out, not being a pilot myself, but I hope you understood my comment.
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:56 am

WingingIt74 wrote:
Kim wrote:

I didn't want to throw my opinion out, not being a pilot myself, but I hope you understood my comment.

Of course...these things are a tragedy across the board... A person has to wonder what was going on in the cockpit, it's natural.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:26 pm

Wow, there was another one in NW MO this weekend.
http://fox2now.com/2012/09/17/pilot-dies-in-small-plane-crash-in-nw-missouri/

On a side note, Jeremy's Uncle Chris was killed in a Mini-Max crash back when we were in high school.
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fit90 Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:32 pm

Kim wrote:
John Goddard wrote:

lol!

I'm told I'd have to surrender my "Man Parts" first...and that just doesn't sit well with me !!!

From what I can tell it's your soul and conscience you have to give up to be any good at politics. Hope I'm wrong.

Bob
fit90
fit90
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next