Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

1/2a c/l beginner build/combat wing Cox_ba12

1/2a c/l beginner build/combat wing Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» +971528536119 Get safe good and effective Abortion pills for termination of unwanted pregnancy in Dubai,and Abu Dhabi
by Jamam Today at 8:01 am

» 971528536119 )#Buy Abortion Pills in Dubai ..,BUY (CYTOTEC) PILLS IN Dubai abort
by Jamam Today at 7:57 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 7:56 am

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by getback Today at 7:39 am

» **Black Lynx Engine Giveaway** Cox Engine of the Month (2023)
by getback Today at 7:00 am

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by getback Today at 6:51 am

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by davidll1984 Today at 6:40 am

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

1/2a c/l beginner build/combat wing Empty
Live on Patrol

1/2a c/l beginner build/combat wing

Go down

1/2a c/l beginner build/combat wing Empty 1/2a c/l beginner build/combat wing

Post  michael1963 Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:52 pm

wanting to get back into control line been out since the 70s and build a beginner or slow combat wing like the epoxy bomb or big otto -lil satan i see on here something easy to build and fly also im a welder/metal worker not very good with wood any help would be app thanks
michael1963
michael1963
Beginner Poster
Beginner Poster

Back to top Go down

1/2a c/l beginner build/combat wing Empty Re: 1/2a c/l beginner build/combat wing

Post  Mark Boesen Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:06 pm

Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

1/2a c/l beginner build/combat wing Empty Re: 1/2a c/l beginner build/combat wing

Post  Mark Boesen Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:11 pm

1/2a c/l beginner build/combat wing Untitl11
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:47 am

Hey Michael,

I wasn't sure if you totally wanted to avoid working with wood, or just wanted a simple balsa structure that builds quick and easy. My "Epoxy Bomb" is a scaled up (and thickened) version of one of Riley Wooten's flat-plate combat wings from the early 1960's...the "Lil Bomb".

1/2a c/l beginner build/combat wing 1_37

Lil Bomb spans 18 inches, where Epoxy Bomb is slightly over 21". I wanted a simple 1/2A without as much "Zip" as Lil Bomb because, with a healthy engine up front, it's almost too fast for me to enjoy. Epoxy Bomb ought to fly just right with a little more tweaking.

I got a little carried away with elevator pylons and rudders on the first Epoxy Bomb, and am extending it's engine mount a bit to make up for all that weight in it's rear. It's descendant's (gonna build one for my bud, Patrick) will have just two rudders and pylon mounts for the elevators.

1/2a c/l beginner build/combat wing 1_38

If you think you could use it, I'll take a photo of it laying on some poster paper, with it's dimensions noted like the Lil Bomb photo above. A bit crude, but that's the way I roll !

Also, Welcome to the Forum !!! Lots of fun stuff going on here !!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sun Oct 21, 2012 10:52 pm

That fluted plastic wing is awesome looking Mark. If I have leftover from my current project I am making one (I probably will have enough leftover for 2)

I built a platter extreme from fluted plastic
http://aeromaniacs.com/Freeplans.htm
and have flown it with my daughter a number of times. Very nearly bullet-proof after a few dozen crashes! The wing looks a lot easier to launch from a stooge using a wing wrap. My platter I hook onto a stick using the motor mount...it is dicey.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:28 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:1/2a c/l beginner build/combat wing Untitl11

I built this and put an extended run tank Cox 049 on it, nothing special at all. Balanced right on the first try. I used 35 ft spectra Power Pro lines. Launches from a wing wrap stooge quite nicely...slightly wonky with full up on takeoff, but level launch setup is fine. 5x4 and 6x3 props work well, the 6x3 seems to pull better on this engine. I didn't try a 6x4.

I would call it underpowered on this engine. It is possibly my weakest engine. I was thrilled with the reliability I had from this engine.

With this setup it is a gentle performing level flight machine that can do high wing overs and inside loops. Inverted was fine on a full tank. This engine does not like inverted flight however. The asymmetrical wing does not require tip weight in either attitude.

While I did an overhead 8 with it, I almost crashed because the outside portion was so overlarge. I suspect the hinge is too stiff even though I cut 2 flutes to make a Z hinge and soften it up. I might remove windows from the hinge to soften it more.

After a few crashes the motor mount loosened up. I recommend gluing the motor mount (but don't know what glue to use) and double nutting the bolts (CA the nuts too). Since the layout line for 18 degrees was in sharpie and didn't wash out right away I was easily able to straighten the motor, tighten, and fly again.

I would recommend this plane as a trainer in this setup.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Dizzyman2011 Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:07 am

Hey Kim am loving the scaled up lil bomb will definitely have to have a go at that I have a scratch built combat wing but hasnt had its maiden yet when I'm finished with the gnat conversion will give this a go I think or maybe the lil bomb not to sure yet but looks a nice model for some fun are u using a tee dee or reedie on it ?
Dizzyman2011
Dizzyman2011
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:27 am

Resurrecting an old thread here. Kim, do you have any idea about where the balance point on the L'il Bomb should be?

The Zombie Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

1/2a c/l beginner build/combat wing Empty 18 degrees offset???

Post  706jim Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:55 pm

Well, I don't fly combat, so maybe 18 degrees is needed to keep line tension.

You might try running a reedie in reverse with a left handed prop to improve line tension.

This has worked well for me in the past.
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down