Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Soaking a propeller in water? Cox_ba12

Soaking a propeller in water? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 6:19 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 5:44 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by balogh Today at 1:10 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Cox International Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Soaking a propeller in water? Empty
Live on Patrol

Soaking a propeller in water?

Go down

Soaking a propeller in water? Empty Soaking a propeller in water?

Post  pkrankow Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:23 pm

I read somewhere (I can't remember where right now) that plastic (nylon) propellers, especially the flexible Cox propellers, should be soaked in water for a period of time, then stored sealed in a plastic bag.

The stated purpose of this soaking is to reduce brittleness in the nylon propeller, and make it more crash tolerant.

On an older yellow propeller (more than 20 years old), not Cox, that I broke in a crash, I soaked the broken part overnight in cold water and observed an increase in flexibility the next day.

Now, with NEW Cox propellers, will soaking make any difference?

Sadly I am crashing way more than I care to admit, but I am improving. 20 years off kinda does that. The new Cox propellers have resisted breaking in grass and dirt much better than other propellers I have recently purchased.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Soaking a propeller in water? Empty Re: Soaking a propeller in water?

Post  RknRusty Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:46 pm

Yeah, the black and the yellow Cox props are tough. The black ones are commonly referred to as Cox Rubber Duckies. They are a major pain to balance though. Mostly it's the hubs that won't balance, so that's not a super big deal if the blades are equal. But I'm anal about balance.

I like the Windsor Master Airscrew props. For our little engines I buy the G/F 6x3 and cut them down, but they balance easy. They aren't usually balanced out of the package. I use them in lengths of 5.5", 5.25" and 5".

I was going to leave a link but masterairscrew.com is offline today.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:20 pm

Call me a traditionalist but I fly principally with the wooden Tornado wooden props from my fabled "stash". The only time I resort to plastic props is when the plane that I am flying is one I've not flown before.

Gray Cox props by Cox are intended for competition purposes and are stiffer than the "rubber duckie" black plastic props which are intended for general flying. (They are also slightly less expensive.)
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:37 pm

Plastic is an oil based product so I am not sure what soaking in water alone would do if anything.

Now soaking them in boiling water may loosen things up and re-align molecules perhaps. The new cox Rubber Duckies do work well and are plenty tough (I crash a lot too) although like Rusty I have been using cut down Master Airscrews.

Cut down 6x3 Black Cox props work well too.

Ron

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:57 pm

Soaking plastic props in water has been discussed here before. What can it hurt?

The concensus was, if it makes you feel better do it and get back to us. No one ever did.

Beer Cheers

Last edited by SuperDave on Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:25 pm; edited 2 times in total
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:04 pm

SuperDave wrote:Soaking plastic props in water has been discussed here before. What can it hurt?
Worst case... your eye, I suppose. I've thought about trying boiling an old Top Flite 5.25x4 for my Tee Dee, but couldn't convince myself to risk using it. Especially when I can buy a pair of new MA props for $2.00, even though they don't look as cool.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  ahrma_581 Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:07 pm

Back in the day, it was boiling nylon props. Supposed to 'toughen' them, although not sure exactly what that meant. Maybe when the DI (Jack Webb) was yelling at them, they wouldn't flinch...
ahrma_581
ahrma_581
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Soaking a propeller in water? Empty RE: Soaking a propeller in water?

Post  66 Malibu Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:16 pm

I have never heard anyone soaking or boiling a plastic prop like a Cox rubber ducky in water.It's hard to see what good water would do to plastic in the first place since plastic is waterproof.
Years ago, an old time (older than me) control line guy told me that nylon props like Top Flight, for example, needed to be boiled in water for about 3 minutes every so often to replace the water molecules in the nylon that were lost from centrifugal force during running. Ditto if the prop had been left in a very hot area like your car dashboard. The boiling replaced the water quickly.
What I do is add a small amount of red Rit dye to the water before the boiling starts and the prop comes out a beautiful crimson color.The coloring not only looks good but now I know which props had been boiled already, and their visibilty while running is a major safety feature.Just boil for about 3 minutes take them out of the water and let them cool for a while and you are "good to go and ready to launch"
FWIW, Steve...........

ahrma_581 wrote:Back in the day, it was boiling nylon props. Supposed to 'toughen' them, although not sure exactly what that meant. Maybe when the DI (Jack Webb) was yelling at them, they wouldn't flinch...
66 Malibu
66 Malibu
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:40 pm

cribbs74 wrote:Plastic is an oil based product so I am not sure what soaking in water alone would do if anything.

Ron --

Actually, nylon is quite hydroscopic and can absorb 6 to 9% by weight in water, depending on how dry it was to start. Here is an exerpt on nylon properties (not model related -- colors are my addition):

Nylon

Facts about Nylon

A large portion of our products are made from the thermoplastic Nylon. This material deserves a section on its own.

Nylon is used as a generic name for the Polyamide (PA) group of polymers. As a general family the PA group is low cost, rigid, translucent, has good temperature stability, abrasion and fatigue resistance.

Nylons and Moisture

All Nylons are considered hygroscopic. This means that they can absorb or release moisture based on environmental conditions. Nylon is more hygroscopic when compared to most other polymers.

Household example: Compare the relative wetness of fabrics when you move clothes from the washer to dryer. Nylon will be wettest of the synthetics, followed by polyester, then acrylic. Acrylic clothing will be almost completely dry after the spin cycle because it absorbs virtually no water.

Moisture acts as a plasticizer. A Plasticizer is something that increases flexibility, workability, or stretch ability. Dimensional and physical property changes take place during moisture absorption.

Moisture absorption and rate of absorption is dependant on the temperature, the relative humidity of the environment, and the wall thickness of the specific part.

Various nylons within the nylon family can absorb different amounts of moisture. The lower numbered nylons such as 4/6, 6, 6/6, absorb more than higher numbered ones such as 11, 12.

PA can be tough when the moisture content is right (2-3% @ 20°C) but dry products tend to become brittle. In general, moisture absorption may lead to an increase in toughness and reduction in stiffness and strength at room temperature. Or in other words, “dry” parts will have a higher tensile strength but will become less flexible, more brittle and less impact resistant. “Moist” parts will have a lower tensile strength but will be more flexible, less brittle and more impact resistant.

During the manufacturing process parts become completely dry. Right after molding they are in a state referred to as “Dry as Molded” (D.A.M.). For this reason nylon parts are often conditioned after processing to optimize the physical properties. Parts are shipped with the proper amount of moisture (liquid water) added in the sealed bags. Over time the moisture is absorbed into the dry as molded parts. Physical properties of parts can change in as little as 24 hours if left opened to the environment. Do not open bags until ready to use them. Seal bags when not needed.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:52 pm

66 Malibu wrote:Years ago, an old time (older than me) control line guy told me that nylon props like Top Flight, for example, needed to be boiled in water for about 3 minutes every so often to replace the water molecules in the nylon that were lost from centrifugal force during running. Ditto if the prop had been left in a very hot area like your car dashboard. The boiling replaced the water quickly.

ahrma_581 wrote:Back in the day, it was boiling nylon props. Supposed to 'toughen' them, although not sure exactly what that meant. Maybe when the DI (Jack Webb) was yelling at them, they wouldn't flinch...

It's true larger nylon props (8"+) had to be boiled and that they would get brittle in a short time, but I really don't think it had anything to do with water molecules in the nylon that were lost from centrifugal force and boiling didn't toughen them.

Top Flite used to pack a little note in each cardboard box of ten, telling the consumer to boil them before first use and to store them wrapped in a damp towel placed in a plastic bag. I remember using them on my Fox .35 as a kid, it was kind of cool watching that prop flex as the plane pulled vertical and broke into a two cycle. I think its probably fine to boil up some 1/2a nylon props for use, but I leave the old larger nylon ones alone.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:05 am

I can see the expression my wife's face when I boil a sauce pan full of 1/2A props on the kitchen stove. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

lol!

Last edited by SuperDave on Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:11 am

SuperDave wrote:I can see the expression my wife's face when I boil a sause pan full of 1/2A props on the kitchen stove. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

lol!

She's still not used to your hobby related oddities? Laughing

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:30 am

True Rusty and we've been married fifty-one years.

She claims I've gotten weirder each one of them. Huh... Huh... Huh...

We compliment each other's neuroses though.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:59 am

SuperDave wrote:I can see the expression my wife's face when I boil a sauce pan full of 1/2A props on the kitchen stove. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

lol!

Last night my wife picked up a glass of props in water sitting on the counter, looked at it, then set it down and walked away...Her expression was priceless.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Fri Oct 19, 2012 11:04 am

Phil:

You should have said that you were going to use the props as skewers for your Martini olives but they needed to be cleaned first. Nitro residue is a hazardous waste. Laughing

SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:51 pm

SuperDave wrote:Call me a traditionalist but I fly principally with the wooden Tornado wooden props from my fabled "stash".
Might those be Tornado "Plasticote" props? I still have a couple.

When Tornado first came out with their white nylon props they were supposed to be unbreakable...and they appeared so. Next batch were more brittle. That's when I remember the instructions for boiling them appeared.

Now, regarding nylon - do you suppose we should soak our Space Bug Junior tanks in water before putting them on a plane? I was about to build a plane for one.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dankar04 Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:54 am

In the olden days with Tornado nylons it was common practice to boil props in water. It made them less prone to breakage. Soaking in plain room temp water does nothing.
dankar04
dankar04
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Sat Oct 20, 2012 12:18 pm

dankar04 wrote:In the olden days with Tornado nylons it was common practice to boil props in water. It made them less prone to breakage. Soaking in plain room temp water does nothing.
Interesting to know. I was under the impression that boiling just speeded up the process.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:51 pm

dankar04 wrote:In the olden days with Tornado nylons it was common practice to boil props in water. It made them less prone to breakage. Soaking in plain room temp water does nothing.

I am pretty sure that overnight soaking in room temperature made a difference on the old propeller that I soaked. The difference in flexibility was quite remarkable. That prop was in an attic for 20 years.

While it broke (before I soaked it), I only had the one half, the other half is lost in my lawn, and has been rained on so probably not valid for comparison even if I did find it.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:01 pm

gcb wrote:
Interesting to know. I was under the impression that boiling just speeded up the process.

George

Nylon will absorb water at room temperature. I agree with George that the boiling likely speeds up the process and may help relieve some of the molding stresses in the prop.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  dankar04 Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:53 pm

Bingo, thats why we did it to relive stress in prop. When we flew .35 combat ships in the day a wood prop was a one shot deal. You get points for airtime, beside a possible kill of streamer. It worked and props would take quite a beating.
dankar04
dankar04
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  iskandar taib Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:04 pm

Boiling nylon items (not just props) is fun. What makes it fun is adding some RIT dye to the water - if the props start out white, you can dye them any color you want. I've even tie-dyed props (boil them in plain water first, then wrap masking tape in a spiral around them and re-boil in dye). I boil my bellcranks and control horns, as well as my old nylon props before use (years ago I bought horns and bellcranks from SIG in bulk, dyed them various colors and sold them on ebay).

Iskandar
iskandar taib
iskandar taib
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:34 pm

iskandar taib wrote:...I boil my bellcranks and control horns, as well as my old nylon props before use (years ago I bought horns and bellcranks from SIG in bulk, dyed them various colors and sold them on ebay).

Iskandar

GOOD IDEA! Never thought of that. I have some of those old parts too.

Thanks Isky!

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down