Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Trobled by acronyms and abbreviations? Cox_ba12

Trobled by acronyms and abbreviations? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Oldenginerod Today at 1:59 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Trobled by acronyms and abbreviations? Empty
Live on Patrol

Trobled by acronyms and abbreviations?

Go down

Trobled by acronyms and abbreviations? Empty Trobled by acronyms and abbreviations?

Post  SuperDave Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:24 am

Acronyms and Abbreviations

Jason mentioned the MOSFET in a Dremel tool discussion. Want to know what that means?

MOSFET (msft)

Short for metal-oxide semiconductor field effect transistor. A type of field effect transistor, used predominantly in microprocessor and related technology, that consumes very little power and can be highly miniaturized.

Try this site. (I use it regularly)

Acronyms and Abbreviations

Last edited by SuperDave on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Trobled by acronyms and abbreviations? Empty Re: Trobled by acronyms and abbreviations?

Post  andrew Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:46 pm

Here's a pic of a PWM circuit I built to control heat in a foam cutting bow -- it runs on 12 to 13.8 volts. The tailend is driven by an IRF540 MOSFET rated at 27 ADC. The MOSFET is the device attached to the heat sink.

Trobled by acronyms and abbreviations? Pwm410
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Trobled by acronyms and abbreviations? Empty Re: Trobled by acronyms and abbreviations?

Post  SuperDave Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:50 pm

Andrew:

Roger. Gotcha (after I look up the terminology on the site that I posted.)

Laughing
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Dizzyman2011 Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:35 pm

Nice bread board u got there doesn't look that different to the ones I used to use everything seems to be smt now can't even read the tolerances on the resistors anymore without a magnifying glass !!!! I remember working with valves on old TV's and radios at least u could see what your doing what a change from valve to transistor and ic's
Dizzyman2011
Dizzyman2011
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:38 pm

Actually MOSFETs have been around since before modern processors, if you include the Z80 of the 1970s. Damn I like talking electronics, that was my major and career field. Dialysis put an end to that. Sometimes I run across my old notes in a text book and wonder that I ever understood what they mean.

I gave my favorite old circuit analysis book, my go-to book for designing or figuring out a circuit, to my son when he was taking electronic theory as part of his chemistry major. He walks the stage and gets his diploma on December 15th. He's 10 times smarter than I was. I was a layman compared to him. He is a scientist. Has been since he was a child. He completed his undergrad requirements and got a job as a soil analyst for the USDA over the Summer. He went back this Fall to re-take some courses to get his GPA up for his PHD program. Now he has a job as a researcher waiting for him with Arizona Chemical. Yeah, I'm proud of the boy. And he can fly a control line plane too.

Dave, I think the cryptic acronyms you refer to is the esoteric language of those who work with the stuff... and those who memorize it so they can sound smart. At this stage, that would be me.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:59 pm

"Dave, I think the cryptic acronyms you refer to is the esoteric language of those who work with the stuff... and those who memorize it so they can sound smart. At this stage, that would be me." Rusty

Acronyms are "a way of the world" nowdays and they are increasing in number. It was never my intention to "sound smart" but to help others who have a degree of intellectual curiosity as I do. I learn something new every day of my life even as a senior citizen.

"If the mind rests it rusts" Rusty - no pun intended, Rusty Wink
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Dizzyman2011 Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:10 am

Hey andrew is that a 555 I spy in there have fond memories of making sound generators pulsing and timing circuits with them when I was a kid good stuff man have never gone into cutting foam should do really it seems the way to go although I will say I love the old timer look of tissue and ribs something really nostalgic there I think
Rusty didn't know u studied electronics seems like I have more in common with people than I thought did hnc electronic engineering at college have always loved tinkering nowhere near the level u guys studied to just love building and repairing things Which is lucky because I fly model aircraft !!! cheers
Being serious is nice to find like minded people and all so friendly
Cheers Beer Cheers
Dizzyman2011
Dizzyman2011
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:24 am

Dizzyman2011 wrote:...Rusty didn't know u studied electronics seems like I have more in common with people than I thought did hnc electronic engineering at college have always loved tinkering nowhere near the level u guys studied to just love building and repairing things Which is lucky because I fly model aircraft !!! cheers
Being serious is nice to find like minded people and all so friendly
Cheers Beer Cheers
I started in EE at Clemson University for my unsuccessful freshman stint, and then transferred to Devry University in Atlanta to study EET, electronics engineering technology; more hands-on, and was much more successful. Made a career in the office machines industry, mostly with Canon and Oce' equipment. It was like being paid to play with stuff. Infuriating stuff, but that made it even better when I learned to master it.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Dizzyman2011 Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:48 am

Oh yes can be frustrating I agree but love the way u can logically work through electronics just wish I was born earlier so I could have built one of those early single channel Rc setups with eacapements sounds fun I was lucky in that the course I done was an equal measure of theory and practical work loved the practical but then I ask myself would I enjoy the practical side of it if I didn't understand the theory ... Probably not
Me thinks would all be gobbledygook made some money years ago buying broken chargers of flea bay fixing them up and re selling alas those times have gone its so cheap to buy a new charger now it's not worth the hassle sold most of my gear inc my oscilloscope earth boards and straps only have a multimeter and basic soldering kit now but can still do what I need all good stuff though still loving tinkering guess that's why I love small models and cox engines anything intricate fascinates me
Dizzyman2011
Dizzyman2011
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Dizzyman2011 Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:57 am

" alt="" />

I'd like to introduce you all to "Betty"
Fixes nearly everything sweat heart she is not as complicated as my old oscilloscope but damn reliable!!!!! lol!
Dizzyman2011
Dizzyman2011
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:23 am

Betty, I believe is a BFH. Often used for percussive maintenance.
And my o-scope is in the attic. Rolling Eyes

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Dizzyman2011 Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:02 am

Yes definitely a BFH percussive maintenance ... Lol never heard it called that before, when the wifey says "stop that racket " I shall reply "I'm performing routine percussive maintenance my darling" if nothing else will make me laugh !!!!
Dizzyman2011
Dizzyman2011
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:24 am

HNC?
OMG
OND
ME
Laughing
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Dizzyman2011 Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:30 am

Gcse then HNC Like I said nowhere near to your level guys but was good experience and taught me a lot bounce
Dizzyman2011
Dizzyman2011
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Dizzyman2011 Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:38 am

Hey John just got it Embarassed

Gcse
Hnc
omg
Doh
Lol
Btw
Why .... Babe Bee .049

Am on the ball now after coffee!!

cheers
Dizzyman2011
Dizzyman2011
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:06 am

Dizzyman2011 wrote:Hey andrew is that a 555 I spy in there have fond memories of making sound generators pulsing and timing circuits with them when I was a kid good stuff man have never gone into cutting foam should do really it seems the way to go although I will say I love the old timer look of tissue and ribs something really nostalgic there I think

Dizzyman --

Good eye!! I use the 555 to set the frequency and a downstream transistor to maintain a constant charging current to the timing capacitor --- this gives me a sawtooth wave coming off the threshold pin of the 555. That wave is dumped into a 741 op amp -- by varying the op amp's reference voltage, I can change the width of the pulse from 0 to 100%. The op amp output drives a trigger transistor that will fully saturate the MOSFET when on so my wire is either full on or full off. Modern MOSFETs have almost zero collector/emitter resistance when saturated; heating is more a function of switching frequency than current load. I run this circuit around 110 to 120 Hz, consequently it doesn't even get warm. I had that heatsink in one of my junk boxes and added it --- it's probably not needed, but does add a "cool" factor. The op amp and trigger transistor are on the far side of the board.

If you have a passing interest in electronics, you might look over this page: http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

There are several links on the main page that appear in blue that will take you to other sections of the site.

Trobled by acronyms and abbreviations? Pwm310

Last edited by andrew on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:22 am; edited 1 time in total
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:24 am

Hey, what happen to my thread?

Remember when RTFLMFAO and IIRC were all but unknown?

I close my case.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:59 am

Andrew, Bookmarked. Thanks for that link. I've probably thrown that many PSUs away, but I think I still have a sports bag full of odds and ends, more old power supplies, ancient video cards, modems, etc. I want one of those on my table. Currently I have an old UPS, sans battery I use for power, but it's bulky.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:23 am

SuperDave wrote:Acronyms and Abbreviations

Jason mentioned the MOSFET in a Dremel tool discussion. Want to know what that means?

MOSFET (msft)

Short for metal-oxide semiconductor field effect transistor. A type of field effect transistor, used predominantly in microprocessor and related technology, that consumes very little power and can be highly miniaturized.

Try this site. (I use it regularly)

Is there a link in your post because I do not see it on my ipad, iphone or PC????
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:17 pm

Jason:

BINGO! you are the very first to catch my ploy to see how many readers are interested in learning something about the subject.

Type: abbreviations and acronymes dictionary on your browser line and several fine links will come up.

ENJOY! lol!
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:56 pm

I've got the shortened first one Dave but
Gymnast from Southern French City perhaps
The second?
Very Happy
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:23 pm

John Boy:

I'm now trying to unravel the mystery of why the link sent doesn't work.

I have posted in my "favorites" and it comes up fine.

Stay tuned.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Dizzyman2011 Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:35 pm

When models were kits lol
That is if I remember correctly ?
Dizzyman2011
Dizzyman2011
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Trobled by acronyms and abbreviations? Empty Mystery solved re: abbreviations and acronyms

Post  SuperDave Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:09 pm

SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum