Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

First Test Run of my Ebay McCoy .35...another battered orphan comes home. Cox_ba12

First Test Run of my Ebay McCoy .35...another battered orphan comes home. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Indexing COX cylinders
by balogh Today at 1:10 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Cox International Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 7:43 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

First Test Run of my Ebay McCoy .35...another battered orphan comes home. Empty
Live on Patrol

First Test Run of my Ebay McCoy .35...another battered orphan comes home.

Go down

First Test Run of my Ebay McCoy .35...another battered orphan comes home. Empty First Test Run of my Ebay McCoy .35...another battered orphan comes home.

Post  Kim Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:48 am

Sliding ever deeper into the abyss that is rabid engine collecting, I test-ran my latest Ebay acquisition this morning...this somewhat scratched and slightly grinded-on McCoy .35.

A little shot of oil in it's orifices was all the "restoration" this old dinosaur received before being bolted to my stand. With 10% Glowplugboy fuel, and using the faded stock Top Flight 10-6 prop that came with it, I shot fire to the thing, and was rewarded with a good, healthy ripping of it's prime. The old glowplug was still alive.

With the tank opened, and just a little needling the McCoy burst into a steady, tank-emptying run. (And yes...I WILL replace the old propeller with one that is less-likely to plant a blade in my forehead!)

First Test Run of my Ebay McCoy .35...another battered orphan comes home. 1_12

First Test Run of my Ebay McCoy .35...another battered orphan comes home. 2_10

First Test Run of my Ebay McCoy .35...another battered orphan comes home. 3_10

Now, back to the 'nose job' I'm doing on the Super Ringmaster. Gonna try to get that dog flight-ready by next weekend.

First Test Run of my Ebay McCoy .35...another battered orphan comes home. 11_10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

First Test Run of my Ebay McCoy .35...another battered orphan comes home. Empty Re: First Test Run of my Ebay McCoy .35...another battered orphan comes home.

Post  Jason_WI Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:58 am

I bet that old McCoy has some bark to it!
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

First Test Run of my Ebay McCoy .35...another battered orphan comes home. Empty Re: First Test Run of my Ebay McCoy .35...another battered orphan comes home.

Post  Ken Cook Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:37 am

Kim, I had a lot of success with that version Mccoy .35. I'm assuming when you look in the exhaust casting you can see that the liner has bridging in the cutout for the liner? Is this the engine of choice for the Super RIngmaster? Certainly a good one. Good luck with it. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:38 pm

Ken Cook wrote: Kim, I had a lot of success with that version Mccoy .35. I'm assuming when you look in the exhaust casting you can see that the liner has bridging in the cutout for the liner? Is this the engine of choice for the Super RIngmaster? Certainly a good one. Good luck with it. Ken

Hey Ken,

I'll take a look at the port when I get home (had to make a fried chicken run to the airport,), but I think you're correct. The Super Ringmaster's mounts are drilled for a Fox .35, and that's what will go in it.

I know I'm being a bit goofy about it, but want to totally seal up the engine area, and have finally gotten there. I intend to recreate, as closely as possible, it's original paint and color, except for some checkerboard pattern on the wing's bottom. Got myself a good "Model Airplane Workshop Shift" coming up this week, so maybe we'll finally get this thing in the air.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:41 pm

A blast from the past. Smile

My recollection of the McCoy ..35 is most positive from owning one when they very first produced cira early '50. Selling at , IIRC, $4.95 they were a reliable budget engine with enduring qualies that soon found popular acceptance.

Mine found it's primary action in a VECO "Chief" (from the VECO "Indian" series) 54" span, full flaps. It was retired due to deterioration of the silkspan and not because of a crash.

Last edited by SuperDave on Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:49 pm

Tower hobbies lists the measurements for the Fox35. They are a match to the measurements in my Super Ringmaster.

My parents flew Mccoy quite a bit. Great engines. My Dad flew them in control line combat.

Phil

pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

First Test Run of my Ebay McCoy .35...another battered orphan comes home. Empty First test run, McCoy .35

Post  Exsanitary Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:13 pm

That is the same set up my long ago flying buddy had (McCoy red head .35 on a Ringmaster). I had the same engine on a 40" or 42" profile Buster. The McCoy flew the Buster real well during the planes short life. He never got up the nerve to try the Ringmaster, the jump from .049 Babe Bees to .35 was to much. I am looking forward to your flight report!
Exsanitary
Exsanitary
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:12 pm

Mccoy did something unique for the time. They actually made the two holes slotted on their engine lugs on certain versions which I believe would be the Lightning bolt case. This enabled the engine to work in various engine mount holes but the Mccoy has a rather wider footprint on the bottom than a Fox. I have exchanged engines but had to shave a bit of the bearer to allow the fit for the Mccoy when switching from a Fox. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:14 pm

My first large C/L plane experience was with a McCoy Redhead .19 . Lots of memories there.

Good go on ya for getting it running. It'll be a great match for a salvaged and restored plane.

andrew
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:15 pm

Double posted - please delete.

Last edited by andrew on Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:55 pm

Kim,

Throw that old P.O.S. out and bolt in a O.S. FP!!!!!!

Lol, just kidding...I'm kidding, really, pret-ty cool project, that McCoy actually looks like a low timer with original plug and not alot of brown caster on case or inside exhaust port?
Remember (you prolly know) lots of oil! From what i've read/heard over the years the McCoy was a very well designed engine, but suffered from poor metallurgy, they were just cheep and usally didn't last long.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jason_WI Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:22 pm

I have heard of McCoy engines being worn out in one flying weekend but this is from forum posts that I have read when I was researching the McCoy''s I had got in an engine lot one time. I have since sold them on RCG for something like $7 each. lol!
Jason_WI
Jason_WI
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:40 pm

The weak spot on the engine is the sintered iron piston. Folks who use them a lot recommend using ~25% all-castor fuel. Good luck with it.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down