Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Jewel case vs Box TD's Cox_ba12

Jewel case vs Box TD's Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by balogh Today at 12:55 am

» #Abortion pills in Dubai#+277-32027887 Abortion pills for sale in Dubai
by kasm Yesterday at 11:51 pm

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Jewel case vs Box TD's Empty
Live on Patrol

Jewel case vs Box TD's

Go down

Jewel case vs Box TD's Empty Jewel case vs Box TD's

Post  MikeM Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:38 pm

my first Cox engines were back in the day of me being 7 years old and that was around 1962-3...........a TD came in the Jewel case by then and thin wall cylinders......ran like stink right out of the box, but seem to wear out quickly.

later versions saw changes, and from what i have been told, the jewel case engines were still the best of the best, but maybe so, maybe not.
the Boxed versions seem to share the thick wal cylinders and screened venturis as some of the jewel case engines.
so please share what you know and explain to this now old timey guy what to expect and look for.

MikeM
MikeM
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Jewel case vs Box TD's Empty Re: Jewel case vs Box TD's

Post  Mark Boesen Fri Jan 18, 2013 9:42 pm

Opinions are like elbows on this topic, everybody's gonna have a couple...usually.

If you ran 'em in the 70's, those are probably the best, unless it was the 80's, then these were the hot ones, lol! I'm gonna guess and say the wear was possibly operator induced, lol! As a kid we didn't pamper these things much, I know I didn't.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:01 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:...As a kid we didn't pamper these things much, I know I didn't.
No, I ran mine with dirt in them back then. What the hell, they were a dime a dozen. Those were Bees though. I didn't ever have a Tee Dee until a year or so ago. Now it's the only Cox I want. Though I do still like the tankless reedys, but the tanked ones are just a finicky pain in the axe, always running out of gas before the fun light is extinguished.

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:49 pm

...how many of use actually backed the needle up a bit, after it hit max rpm? Or torn down and cleaned after a crack-up?
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:07 am

When I was a kid I knew nothing about setting it rich on the ground. I just wondered why it didn't run as well in the air. I think my Dad finally set me straight on that, but I'm sure I scorched a few pistons. After a crash I would actually wash it over with fuel, but I never wet it behind the drive plate before cold cranking. I was a kid that loved taking things apart, but my cleaning techniques were pretty lame. Amazingly they mostly ran.

I guess we're kind of hijacking Mike's thread. Anyone know the differences regarding generations of Tee Dees? This tells the story as well as any writeup I know. Click on Tee Dees.
http://www.mh-aerotools.de/airfoils/cox_frameset.htm

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  MikeM Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:28 am

nah, not highjacked at all............i too never gave much thought to what abuse i was inflicting on my Cox engines back in the day and they never complained either.....tough little engines.

some good deals come up on both the Jewel case versions and the red and black boxed versions and i was really wanting to know if the boxed versions were good engines.............going thru the site and research has revealed something i never new and now know what not to waste money on...........ah yes, "Estes"...... lol! lol! lol!

being misinformed previously left me somewhat confused..............now i know
MikeM
MikeM
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:50 am

I liked the thin walled cylinder Tee Dee's due to some of my older engines having the hole in the bottom end of the rod for oil introduction. I don't like the fact that these cylinders can be easily distorted and damaged when trying to remove them as you need to use the wrench through the exhaust ports. I'm assuming the thin wall engines were available in the jewel cases? I never really paid any attention to what years I owned and more the performance I received from them. I had one thin walled TD that just wouldn't turn up for me. I decided last year to pay it some attention and I lapped the piston to the cylinder and I now have a TD that's running in the 24K range.

My strongest running TD however is a 80's version. Unfortunately, it's a plug eater. This can be the result of many issues. I just haven't played with it enough to work it out. This particular engine certainly sounds like it's hitting some pretty high rpm's. Just a side note, I'm running my engines on pressure and they don't particular care for running rich. I personally never wore out one of these engines. I stuff them into the ground and bury them clean up to the cylinder. Very rarely, do I do a complete tear down unless it's so caked with dirt I feel fuel won't flush it out.

Early on however, I experienced problems with some of my thin walled cylinder TD's. The conrod decided to exit out the top of the piston. This was more than likely the result of my lack of knowledge at the time to resetting the joint. I just never did that in the early years. Two of them destroyed themselves. The other problem I experienced is the crank breaking. This is when I was running Cox 5x3's on speed planes. The crank breaks across the cutout due to the Cox not placing a radius on the inside corners. I've had 6 cranks break in this manner. Kustom Kraftmanship would stress relieve the cranks by heating them for an hour at a sustained high temp and let them cool. This probably helped more than anything as it allowed the crank to achieve correct hardness and it wasn't too brittle.

Based on the engines I own some being from the 60's-90's. I certainly have to say I enjoy my older TD's due to being the most consistent running TD's from engine to engine. My 80's version though probably has them beat by a few hundred rpm's. Ken

Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down