Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Dream Days....Ads from my Sept. 1960 copy of Model Airplane News Cox_ba12

Dream Days....Ads from my Sept. 1960 copy of Model Airplane News Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 10:03 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 9:49 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:14 pm

» Indexing COX cylinders
by balogh Today at 4:40 pm

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Today at 1:44 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Today at 12:22 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 11:50 am

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Today at 8:48 am

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Today at 4:01 am

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Today at 12:10 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 10:02 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 4:21 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Dream Days....Ads from my Sept. 1960 copy of Model Airplane News Empty
Live on Patrol

Dream Days....Ads from my Sept. 1960 copy of Model Airplane News

Go down

Dream Days....Ads from my Sept. 1960 copy of Model Airplane News Empty Dream Days....Ads from my Sept. 1960 copy of Model Airplane News

Post  Kim Sun Oct 16, 2011 11:49 pm

Some of the stuff that "Imprinted" me like a baby duck!

Dream Days....Ads from my Sept. 1960 copy of Model Airplane News Dream_10

Dream Days....Ads from my Sept. 1960 copy of Model Airplane News Dream_11

Dream Days....Ads from my Sept. 1960 copy of Model Airplane News Dream_12

Dream Days....Ads from my Sept. 1960 copy of Model Airplane News Dream_13

Dream Days....Ads from my Sept. 1960 copy of Model Airplane News Dream_14

Dream Days....Ads from my Sept. 1960 copy of Model Airplane News Dream_15

Dream Days....Ads from my Sept. 1960 copy of Model Airplane News Dream_16

Dream Days....Ads from my Sept. 1960 copy of Model Airplane News Dream_17

Dream Days....Ads from my Sept. 1960 copy of Model Airplane News Dream_18

Dream Days....Ads from my Sept. 1960 copy of Model Airplane News Dream_19

Mercury Space Capsules on TV, low-flying ANG jets blasting up the river, Sleek Streak rubberband planes getting caught in tree limbs, and Ozark Airlines' DC-6's cruising low through the scud over my house, on their way to Cape from Paducah............................Magic Days !

Last edited by Kim on Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:26 am; edited 4 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Dream Days....Ads from my Sept. 1960 copy of Model Airplane News Empty Re: Dream Days....Ads from my Sept. 1960 copy of Model Airplane News

Post  andrew Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:11 am

Those were great -- I wore the pages out on Model Airplane News just thumbing thru all the ads and imagining what it would be like to have each one.

Last edited by andrew on Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:28 am; edited 1 time in total
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Dream Days....Ads from my Sept. 1960 copy of Model Airplane News Empty Re: Dream Days....Ads from my Sept. 1960 copy of Model Airplane News

Post  Kim Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:23 am

andrew wrote:Those were great -- I wore the pages out on Model Airplane News just thumbing thru all the ads and imagining what it would be like to each one.

BIG "DITTO" !

P.S. The "imagining" still goes on...
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:46 am

Ah ,for the "golden age" of model aviation which were so formative for me in my youth.

My recently build Goldberg ""LiL Toot" bipe is a fond rembemerance of times past.

"Thanks for the memories" - Bob Hope
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:53 am

great post! yep, my brain was 'imprinted' as wel, lol. I think as a kid I must of studied each page for hours, when I was lucky to get ahold of a magazine.

p.s.
I built the Thermic 50X as a kid and many years later I built a China Clipper looking-like type stick fuselage for the Thermic wing and tail feathers, slapped a Babe Bee in it w/ 2 channel R/C gear, looked great, flew ok, wing load was high and slightly overpowered, smacked it in trying to fly on a really windy day, still got parts....maybe someday.

Dream Days....Ads from my Sept. 1960 copy of Model Airplane News Dream_10
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:21 am

Thank You !

Figure most of us came from very similar tracks! While I had some previous "model airplane encounters" I really started at age 12, later than a lot of guys, when my dad bailed on us and his brother Wayne stepped up to give a direction to my energies.

Uncle Wayne's time spent teaching me to fly planes with his son Bobby, literally ripped open a new universe for me. The magazines he gave me launched new heroes into my life. Maynard Hill, Dave Platt, Dave Robelen, Dave Thornburg (lot's of "Daves"), Don McGovern, Phil Kraft, "Wild Bill Netzeban, and a bunch of others suddenly became role models. Been going that way since.

NEVER underestimate the impact of your time spent teaching and encouraging kids!

Mr. Hill's T.A.M. (Trans Atlantic Model) in the A.M.A. Museum, Muncie, Indiana.

Dream Days....Ads from my Sept. 1960 copy of Model Airplane News Maynar10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:18 am

In looking thru the Scientific ad, I saw the N. Am. Texan at the bottom of the page. After my yellow COX cub bit the dust (almost immediately), I had an engine and no plane. I got the Texan and learned to fly on that plane. Living way out in the country, my nearest field was just across the road. I left off the cowling and canopy, painted it blue (all my planes were blue since a can of dope goes a long way), and flew it until it was soggy.

Great memories, indeed.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:54 am

Yes! I had several stretches where my paint schemes ran on "Themes"! Silkspan was pretty much white anyway, so why get all fancy and blow a bunch of money on white dope! AND what better color than black?,,,EVERYTHING goes with it !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  tubebass Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:45 am

andrew wrote:In looking thru the Scientific ad, I saw the N. Am. Texan at the bottom of the page. After my yellow COX cub bit the dust (almost immediately), I had an engine and no plane. I got the Texan and learned to fly on that plane. Living way out in the country, my nearest field was just across the road. I left off the cowling and canopy, painted it blue (all my planes were blue since a can of dope goes a long way), and flew it until it was soggy.

Great memories, indeed.
Was that Texan profile or "hollow log"? I taught myself to fly control line on the profile one half a century (!) ago. It had a Pee Wee .020 and was a bit tail heavy so it was a challenge to fly! Had to glue the fuselage back together a number of times before I got the flying thing down!
tubebass
tubebass
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:55 am

tubebass wrote:
andrew wrote:In looking thru the Scientific ad, I saw the N. Am. Texan at the bottom of the page. After my yellow COX cub bit the dust (almost immediately), I had an engine and no plane. I got the Texan and learned to fly on that plane. Living way out in the country, my nearest field was just across the road. I left off the cowling and canopy, painted it blue (all my planes were blue since a can of dope goes a long way), and flew it until it was soggy.

Great memories, indeed.
Was that Texan profile or "hollow log"? I taught myself to fly control line on the profile one half a century (!) ago. It had a Pee Wee .020 and was a bit tail heavy so it was a challenge to fly! Had to glue the fuselage back together a number of times before I got the flying thing down!

that texan looks to be profile with a 3d cowling on it.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:11 am

tubebass wrote:Was that Texan profile or "hollow log"?

Tubebass ---

Mine was the log fuselage. My field was part of our farm, so what wasn't grazed off was mowed with a bushhog and was seldom less than 6" tall --- which was good for a newbie flyer. Even so, I eventually ended up adding struts running from the vertical fin to the top of the stab. I can certainly say that I got my money's worth both in fun and longevity from that little plane.

andrew
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:02 pm

The plane that I most remember is the Sterling "Ringmster (S-1) usually powereded by Fox .35 or McCoy "Redhead" .35 which BTW sold for $4.95 when first introduced in the late 50's.

The "Ringmaster" kit sold for for, IIRC, $2.95. Easy to build and very rugged, they allowed me to gain confidence and competence as CL pilot in both stunt and combat. In those day I was funding my planes from the money that I earned on my paper route.

It was not unual for me to building a new "Ringmaster" as well as rebuilding several others
that had met a firm contact with the ground. The final fate of some of my combat "Ringmasers" was suffered in "blood & guts" combat where the goal was to chew off the opponent's tail with your propeller.
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:38 pm

Yeah, the Ringmasters were/are great. It was a big deal when my uncle let me take the handle and fly his Super Ringmaster. Nervous at first, I was surprised that it was actually EASIER to fly than the 1/2A's...I had a LOT more sky in that 60 foot circle!

The only foray I made into combat was taking on my cousin Bobby with my Riley Wooten flat wing "Lil' Bomb. The plane taught me inverted flight, which Bobby had yet to master, so escape was never more than a half-loop away for me !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:50 pm

SuperDave wrote:The plane that I most remember is the Sterling "Ringmster (S-1) usually powereded by Fox .35 or McCoy "Redhead" .35 which BTW sold for $4.95 when first introduced in the late 50's.

The "Ringmaster" kit sold for for, IIRC, $2.95. Easy to build and very rugged, they allowed me to gain confidence and competence as CL pilot in both stunt and combat. In those day I was funding my planes from the money that I earned on my paper route.

It was not unual for me to building a new "Ringmaster" as well as rebuilding several others
that had met a firm contact with the ground. The final fate of some of my combat "Ringmasers" was suffered in "blood & guts" combat where the goal was to chew off the opponent's tail with your propeller.

Ok then this sounds too fun I need to pull my head limit of the ground and start restoring my CL plane.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:46 am

nitroairplane wrote:
SuperDave wrote:The plane that I most remember is the Sterling "Ringmster (S-1) usually powereded by Fox .35 or McCoy "Redhead" .35 which BTW sold for $4.95 when first introduced in the late 50's.

Ok then this sounds too fun I need to pull my head limit of the ground and start restoring my CL plane.

YES! YOU SHOULD !!!!!

It'd probably be too much to ever really happen, but wouldn't it be COOL if a bunch of us could get together....010's to .35's...dacron strings to steel cables...Free Flight/U-Control/Radio Control/Ground Runners/Boats...Old School to New School and everything in between...and try our level best to turn time backwards!!!!!?

Perhaps this coming year, a band of us could assemble and descend upon a S.M.A.L.L. or Musciano Fly-In, and put their attendance numbers through the roof!

Man...I think that WOULD be cool ! I'd gladly knock a hole in my schedule for THAT ONE !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:30 am

That would be awesome but it is hard a it would be a lOng journey but some time in the next 5 or so years I am thinking of a year long tour to visit the worlds modelling sites and if I do end up doing that I would like to visit some of you guys tosee the flying spots and such but you know money is the problem as is time.
But hopefully I'll have the time and money.
But that is just an idea so don't hold me to it Smile
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:38 am

If you're able to do that, I'll get some accommodations for you in Southeast Missouri. Sure that other members would help also !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:48 am

Kim wrote:If you're able to do that, I'll get some accommodations for you in Southeast Missouri. Sure that other members would help also !

It's an idea I've had for a while but reallisticly it won't be able to happen for at least 3 or 4 years if I do it.
But I really want to.
And Ronald Valentine is a someone I'd really like to meet as well.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down