Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

How long should paint dry before masking? Cox_ba12

How long should paint dry before masking? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Today at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Today at 7:53 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 7:00 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Today at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

How long should paint dry before masking? Empty
Live on Patrol

How long should paint dry before masking?

Go down

How long should paint dry before masking? Empty How long should paint dry before masking?

Post  RknRusty Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:52 pm

I'm using Rustoleum automotive enamel spray paint. I am painting a plane red and black. I have a nice glassy coat of red on the rear half of the fuse. Next I need to mask it to paint the front end black and the canopy silver. How long before I can apply masking tape to fresh paint? It's been drying in front of a warm space heater for 22 hours so far. Another 24 hours, 7 days...? I have some low tack tape called Frog Tape.
Thanks,
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

How long should paint dry before masking? Empty Re: How long should paint dry before masking?

Post  pkrankow Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:57 pm

I have had good performance with 48+ hours of cure time prior to masking on any material.

Rustoleum doesn't sand well until that time frame anyways.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

How long should paint dry before masking? Empty Re: How long should paint dry before masking?

Post  RknRusty Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:07 pm

Thanks Phil, I'll give it at least 48. No sanding should be required as it laid down like glass. I'm very happy with the look. I usually like to clear coat my models but I am pushing weight limits now, so I may restrict that only to the area forward of the wing. There is a raw balsa cheek on the inboard side opposite the engine that I'll prime first, and then sand it back down to where I start seeing wood peek through again.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Dizzyman2011 Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:00 am

Red and black eh ?,
Sounds familiar to me, jokes , I live red and black they have a really nice racy contrast the trouble I had on the Reno was I used enamel for the red To give it that glossy look left it for a day or so to dry then fuel proofed it trouble was either I didn't leave enough time for the enamel to dry or put too much fuel proof on as I had a couple of runs Didn't thin the fuel provider down as I don't have any thinners at the mo dumbass left the lid off !!! Let's see some pics rusty
Dizzyman2011
Dizzyman2011
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:32 am

Paint dry time depends on temperature and humidity. More drying time is preferable to less unless you wish to risk doing damage that would be difficult to repair.

Who's in a rush anyway?

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:24 pm

I would expect that switching from heavy painted fabric wing coverings to ultracote or some other shrink film would save you ounces!

Priming then sanding down to the wood is going to save you weight while you fill the grain. This is also going to reduce how much final coat paint you need.

I thought this airplane was getting the same size engine that was on it previously...

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:33 pm

pkrankow wrote:I would expect that switching from heavy painted fabric wing coverings to ultracote or some other shrink film would save you ounces!

Priming then sanding down to the wood is going to save you weight while you fill the grain. This is also going to reduce how much final coat paint you need.

I thought this airplane was getting the same size engine that was on it previously...

Phil
It saved a bunch. It came to me with thick fabric that weighed over 4oz, posted somewhere in this thread. It has Monokote on the wings now. After painting the rear fuse and adding the rudder and elevator horn hardware it only gained 0.2 oz, up from 16.4 to 16.6oz. I might get there under the wire. The engine is smaller than the original OS 40. I have a Thunder Tiger Pro BB25 for it, a hot little number at 10.1oz. I don't know if that includes the muffler. The engine/fuel tank and a little more paint is all that will be added before it's finished.

The rudder is proving to be a challenge figuring out how to attach it straight with good glue. I'm leaning towards old fashioned airplane cement that I can pre-glue and hold in place, eying a straight edge while it hardens. Epoxy would be better but one off-line angle after it hardens and I have a real problem on my hands.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:48 pm

Two ideas......

Straight pins. They only leave small holes and are easily covered back up in paint. On my Ringmaster I used toothpicks. I pre-drilled small holes in the fuse and the rudder, pushed in the toohpicks, used epoxy and pushed the rudder on. Nice and straight and now it has a little extra strength.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:11 pm

I was trying to do it with pins. The rudder would only wrap around the stab and pin down if they barely stick out. I'll try again tomorrow. I couldn't seem to do much of anything right tonight, so I ended up doing nothing. Probably a good thing.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down