Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

What items have you tossed that you wish you hadn't? Cox_ba12

What items have you tossed that you wish you hadn't? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Today at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Today at 9:15 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by crankbndr Today at 7:26 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Today at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Today at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Today at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Today at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Today at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Today at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Today at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

What items have you tossed that you wish you hadn't? Empty
Live on Patrol

What items have you tossed that you wish you hadn't?

Go down

What items have you tossed that you wish you hadn't? Empty What items have you tossed that you wish you hadn't?

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:43 pm

For me it was a brand new never used Carl Goldberg Handi-tote.

I bought it, built it and it sat unused for five years. So during a move and subsequent clean out I tossed it in a dumpster......Mad

I was thinking just tonight how I really need a flight box!!!!

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

What items have you tossed that you wish you hadn't? Empty Re: What items have you tossed that you wish you hadn't?

Post  Kim Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:21 am

Not an item tossed, but a vehicle sold.  In  the late 1970's, I bought a VERY used International Post Office Van.  With a it's right-side steering wheel, and wooden 4X4 front bumper, I caught a lot of crap about not being able to afford a something better, but I pulled off more missions than I can remember when someone needed something moved.  I hauled everything from motorcycles to neighbors' appliances with the thing, but most importantly, it served as a model airplane hauler and mobile clubhouse for me and my buds.

Back in the day, we were determined to fly on our days off, and would happily freeze ourselves to get some planes in the air.  We'd huddle in the van, warming up as we argued about assorted models and gear, jump out to fly, then bail back in to thaw out.  I could haul all my model airplane gear (and often did) to the field, and we pulled off a lot of emergency repairs that got our planes back in the air on those precious Sunday afternoons.

I sold it in a stupid fit of anger after a late-night breakdown stranded me on the road home from work, and have regretted it ever since.  My vans since then may have been more dependable, but none have let me haul stuff like my old hippy wagon.

What items have you tossed that you wish you hadn't? Tx210

What items have you tossed that you wish you hadn't? Mud_da10

What items have you tossed that you wish you hadn't? Strike10

What items have you tossed that you wish you hadn't? Black_10

Last edited by Kim on Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

What items have you tossed that you wish you hadn't? Empty Re: What items have you tossed that you wish you hadn't?

Post  Admin Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:40 am

I threw out a Killer Bee .049 box several years ago. I didn't mean to, one day I couldn't stand the mess in the basement anymore so I started to toss stuff out.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:30 am

From the title of this thread it sounded like a hand-launch gone wrong, and that has certainly happened on a few occasions... lol!

Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dinsdale Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:43 am

Like Kim mine was a vehicle sold. It was my Ducati 450 Desmo which I'd had from new. It was the last one sold new in West Oz. The only one of 26 motorcycles so far which I wish I had back. I've had other Dukes, MV Agusta, Laverda, Benelli, BMW, CZ plus an assortment of other less exotic stuff, but only my old 450 Desmo haunts my memory.
dinsdale
dinsdale
Account Deactivated by Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:00 am

An old Johnson HAM radio that had been my Dad's. I played with it listening through an improperly tuned antenna until the power transformer smoked up my bedroom one day. It stayed in my closet for ages and eventually disappeared along with a ton of other old electronic equipment I had dismantled in my childhood. Later I started using CB radio base stations and learning how things worked. I earned spare change in college fixing other dorm mates' TVs and stereos. I could have fixed that radio and to this day, still regret letting that old Johnson get tossed.

It looked sort of like this:
What items have you tossed that you wish you hadn't? Valiant

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:34 am

Most everything I throw out will sit on a shelf for ten years, doing a clean up I'll chuck it. A week or two later I need it.
It is a derivative of Murphys law.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:38 am

RknRusty wrote:An old Johnson HAM radio that had been my Dad's. I played with it listening through an improperly tuned antenna until the power transformer smoked up my bedroom one day. It stayed in my closet for ages and eventually disappeared along with a ton of other old electronic equipment I had dismantled in my childhood. Later I started using CB radio base stations and learning how things worked. I earned spare change in college fixing other dorm mates' TVs and stereos. I could have fixed that radio and to this day, still regret letting that old Johnson get tossed.

Really? And you threw it out? Of course she probably looks much different now.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:39 am

dinsdale wrote:Like Kim mine was a vehicle sold.  It was my Ducati 450 Desmo which I'd had from new.  It was the last one sold new in West Oz.  The only one of 26 motorcycles so far which I wish I had back.  I've had other Dukes, MV Agusta, Laverda, Benelli, BMW, CZ plus an assortment of other less exotic stuff, but only my old 450 Desmo haunts my memory.

I have rid myself of a few bikes that I wish I hadn't.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:40 am

Live those photo's Kim. And the bread van/aircraft hauler too.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:08 am

A couple times, actually so frequently I don't specifically remember...

I AM wishing the broken hair dryer I had in the garage didn't get recycled so I could pull the element apart for a hot wire foam cutter. I'll get another sometime soon, or go to a secondhand store to get one to rip apart.

I have been dealing with hoarding relatives (UGH!) and have my own hoarding tendencies so when I throw stuff out I tend to not be too concerned about the consequences of throwing something away I could have used. I DO try to recycle, resell, and donate...but most of the time I am throwing "trash" out that should have been thrown away initially, such as packing materials and old advertizing.

I do rather miss my '86 Chrysler Lebaron hatchback. 4 door, fold flat back seat, 5-speed manual, 2.5L 4 cylinder throttle body fuel injected engine. I could "hyper mile" it at 55mph in 5th gear at just over idle to get in excess of 50mpg, and did this regularly going to and from college on secondary routes. 12 ft 2x4's would go from the passenger floor to the back with all the doors closed. I was slope flying a 2-meter RC glider, and that was easy to transport. It was the best vehicle I ever drove in snow and ice, the Chrysler manual transaxle of that era is known for tracking straight. The body was going soft, it needed significantly more work than an unemployed/underemployed recent college graduate could afford, so I sold it when my Dad found me a Buick I could afford, but needed some specific repairs (broken sub-frame bolts).

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:51 am

cribbs74 wrote:
RknRusty wrote:An old Johnson HAM radio that had been my Dad's....

Really? And you threw it out? Of course she probably looks much different now.
Yeah but the lady from next door wasn't sitting on it when it hit the curb.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:54 pm

My Three biggest regrets today but not at the time:
1972 Triumph Bonneville 650 (first REAL motorcycle) Traded for a Kawasaki H2 500cc Tripple
First car: 1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero High Output 289 with Borg Warner T10 into 4.11:1 rear, that was traded in on a USED 1967 Ford / Shelby 350 Fast Back White Mustang that out the door cost $1655.00 in 1971
I traded the Mustang in on a 1977 Ford F250 460CI 4x4 long bed that was a mechanical nightmare and fuel pig

Want the Triumph back for nostalgia riding
Want the Falcon Ranchero back because it was a true sleeper and in stock form went down the 1/4 at Seattle International Raceway in 12.677 seconds with the right tires on back
Want the Mustang back cuz they go across the auto auctions for insanely high dollars
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  stevej Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:02 pm

I should never have sold my (one of two built) '66 Vette copo L72/M22/K66/N14 exhaust/M22/N11/F41 susp./K66Ti transister ign./radio&heater delete/with 450hp decal on air cleaner/G81 4:11 posi/factory Isky geardrive cam. The other one went to Don Yenko. Mine would lift a wheel and run 12.5 at 125mph in the quarter. Would be worth well over $300k if I had it today.
stevej
stevej
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:09 pm

I remember the Kawasaki triple 500, it was insanely fast for the time.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:23 pm

Steve, that's the first time I've heard the name, Yenko uttered in ages. My memories of Yenko were his Camaros that could be lined up next to the "big guys" at the drag strip, right off the showroom floor. And, given an able driver, could win too.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:09 pm

My pride and joy, fully restored and sale forced on me (DON'T ASK!!!!!)

What items have you tossed that you wish you hadn't? Nobbya10
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  anm2 Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:24 pm

Ian, If you want one of those again, I think you can pick one up in Jordan. I saw quite a few of them there. Smile
anm2
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dinsdale Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:59 am

crankbndr wrote:I remember the Kawasaki triple 500, it was insanely fast for the time.
I was riding my one of those about a microsecond before I nearly died - permanently!!  10 breaks down m right leg plus sundry other fractures and internal injuries.  Most people who know me reckon I must have received brain damage too Shocked  My next bike was the aforementioned Desmo 450.
dinsdale
dinsdale
Account Deactivated by Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:59 am

Notice that the Kawa 500 Triple was NOT on my list of "wish I still had it"...Wicked fast bike and I loved it. That bike had a few very nasty habits. I was stationed at Ft Lewis WA and plenty of mountain twisty roads. The bike had a unpredictable power-band and if you downshifted and needed power in a sweeping turn you could get real out of whack when it all of a sudden she gave you 30 more horses then you asked for.

Eventually it got traded for the KZ1 900 chain breaker. First year model before they put gussets down the backbone. So under full power, the frame torqued putting the engine drive sprocket out of alignment with the rear wheel sprocket causing much grief and expense. That Bike was sold to a German friends Son for $10,000 DM in 1985. He had to restore it completely back to original (remove and replace with factory items the Kerker exhaust and drag style handle bars) before he could get past TUV inspection (German equivalent to USA DOT)

Back on subject... Model airplane related

Over all the years of Military service I moved many many times and on one move I let my wife convince me that the Dick Mathis Mongoose Combat plane I won a few times with needed to hit the dumpster.... Dang!

Back a few years I was preparing for retirment and started into RC airplane hobby... found you all here and changed my mind...Control Line is really what I want to do.... The Black Hawk version of the Mongoose is way cool but I dearly wish I had the original to play with
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GUS THE I.A. Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:21 am

My Schwinn Stingray bicycle. Dang! Mom bought a pair of them for my brother and I, when I was 6 years old, (uh, 1969). Mine was gold, his was green. Best bikes on the block! They didn't fall apart, or rattle, or need constant adjustment. And, they looked cooler than all the other bikes!
GUS THE I.A.
GUS THE I.A.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down