Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

How many of you bought one of these? Cox_ba12

How many of you bought one of these? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Oldenginerod Today at 1:59 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

How many of you bought one of these? Empty
Live on Patrol

How many of you bought one of these?

Go down

How many of you bought one of these? Empty How many of you bought one of these?

Post  sdjjadk Thu Jul 25, 2013 6:27 pm

I have a 50th Anniversary Pitts that I got at my old LHS back in 95 and I was wondered if anyone here bought one when they first came out.
How many of you bought one of these? Cox_pi10

Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

How many of you bought one of these? Empty Re: How many of you bought one of these?

Post  ahrma_581 Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:27 pm

Not one of those, but I did get this off ebait awhile back:

How many of you bought one of these? Dscn2310

Same version I had as a kid.  Plastic is pretty rough and there is a piece missing from the rh lower wing l.e., but the Peewee cleaned up and ran well.
ahrma_581
ahrma_581
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

How many of you bought one of these? Empty Re: How many of you bought one of these?

Post  sdjjadk Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:15 pm

ahrma_581 wrote:Not one of those, but I did get this off ebait awhile back:

How many of you bought one of these? Dscn2310

Same version I had as a kid.  Plastic is pretty rough and there is a piece missing from the rh lower wing l.e., but the Peewee cleaned up and ran well.
Cool Pitt's. I see yours is an early version with an inverted cylinder.
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  bullit132 Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:49 pm

just got one in the mail today off ebay,no box but its in a1 condition,cool little plane for sure
bullit132
bullit132
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:53 pm

The Stinker was the first Cox model I had, was about 8 years old in late 50s. We flew it and it took many crashes and still kept going.
I don't know how Dad could buy it then because even a Coke was a luxury. Very hard to find good boxes and props now.
I just got the one in the box a few weeks ago, eBay BIN 200$, the listing did not last long.

How many of you bought one of these? Img_2110
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:44 pm

This was my first plastic, rtf, the re-intro'd 'Mini Stunt' with new upright motor. I got it for my 10th birthday, probably too young to figure out how to start it. I remember flip, flip, flip, forever only to be surprised/startled by a sudden bust of noise/smell/power...and hooked for life!
How many of you bought one of these? 11_4_010
How many of you bought one of these? Mini_s10How many of you bought one of these? Wen-ma10
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mudhen Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:02 pm

Last edited by Mudhen on Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Mudhen
Mudhen
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  kpriddle Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:02 pm

This is an Art Scholl's Pitts Special that I bought last year from a small antique shop in Oklahoma.  They said it has been on the shelf for a long time--someone didn't know what they had!  I was lucky to get it in new condition with all of the instructions, etc.  Mr. Hepperle's site lists it as being produced between '72-'73--definitely one of Cox's shorter runs.

How many of you bought one of these? Coxart14
How many of you bought one of these? Coxart13
kpriddle
kpriddle
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:44 pm

For any of you with one of these that's currently disassembled, could you take measurements of the plane and surfaces, or even trace around them and post a pic?  I live in a cul-de-sac and was thinking of a little plane to fly in the morning when all the neighbors are at work.  With 15' line, these seem the rigth size for that.  I have some Dollar Tree foamboard that I might try building up for a Pee Wee.  I ordered one of those electric cox planes, but it was busted up when it got here.  Mad 

As an interesting aside, when I was very young, we lived down the street from Art Scholl. My mother was an airplane groupie and was always hanging around Scholl and the other professional pilots.

The Busted Up Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  kpriddle Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:21 pm

Speaking of Art Scholl, his story is an interesting one.  He was an accomplished pilot (stunt pilot, instructor, et cetera) who ended up flying certain background shots for the oh-so-famous Top Gun movie.  During one of the aerobatic flights in his Pitts S-2, he attempted to put it through an inverted flat spin.  Unfortunately, he never recovered from the spin and both his plane and body were never found.  One thought is that the extra weight of the camera equipment added inertia to his spin, so much that he couldn't pull out of it.  Nonetheless, he was quite the inspiration as I'm sure Mark can attest to.  In fact, Wikipedia says, "At the height of his popularity as an air show performer in the 1970s Scholl flew two Super Chipmunks, basing one on the East Coast and one on the West Coast. His Super Chipmunk was licensed to various model manufacturers for both flying and static models; collectors now actively seek the Cox control line model."  I think the Cox Pitts follows suit.  And since it was manufactured 13 years before Scholl's death, the fan base for the model only increased following his accident.

KP
kpriddle
kpriddle
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:54 pm

I saw him on film in the early 80s do a fly by while standing on the left wing of his Chipmunk.

Pitts tie tac

How many of you bought one of these? Img_1410
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:13 pm

kpriddle wrote:This is an Art Scholl's Pitts Special that I bought last year from a small antique shop in Oklahoma.  They said it has been on the shelf for a long time--someone didn't know what they had!  I was lucky to get it in new condition with all of the instructions, etc.  Mr. Hepperle's site lists it as being produced between '72-'73--definitely one of Cox's shorter runs.

How many of you bought one of these? Coxart14
How many of you bought one of these? Coxart13
That's one sweet looking little Pitt's! Art Scholl was a true aviation legend for sure. Too bad I never got to see him perform live.
However, my r/c club used to put on flight demo's and display's at the local airshows back in the 80's and I was lucky enough to be able to help hold one of the poles for a Pitts pilot who performed a low inverted ribbon cut. It was the scariest yet most exhilarating experience of my teenage life!

Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  sdjjadk Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:16 pm

batjac wrote:For any of you with one of these that's currently disassembled, could you take measurements of the plane and surfaces, or even trace around them and post a pic?  I live in a cul-de-sac and was thinking of a little plane to fly in the morning when all the neighbors are at work.  With 15' line, these seem the rigth size for that.  I have some Dollar Tree foamboard that I might try building up for a Pee Wee.  I ordered one of those electric cox planes, but it was busted up when it got here.  Mad 

As an interesting aside, when I was very young, we lived down the street from Art Scholl.  My mother was an airplane groupie and was always hanging around Scholl and the other professional pilots.

The Busted Up Mark
Send me a PM with your e-mail address and I can send you a set of PDF Pitts plans.

Shawn
sdjjadk
sdjjadk
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:52 pm

All this talk about Art Scholl piqued my interest
for even more info about him.
Found this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQKfvwoKc6w

Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sun Aug 25, 2013 10:18 am

Nice video, thanks for the link. An all girl crew, lucky dog. I got a laugh out of the "use your checklist sign" on the taxiway.
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  dankar04 Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:51 am

I got my 50th an. version direct from Cox. This was before they had them in Hobby shops. Still have it in original shipping box.
At first they were only going to sell them this way but guess bean counters made them offer them to hobby shops later. Anyway my came with a low # card. I seen Larry Renger do a loop with one at Miles sq. park years ago. It just about made it and when plane landed it was missing a red wheel.
dankar04
dankar04
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:10 am

hi guys I just bought one on ebay the lil stinker for 139.95 how do they fly???
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:31 am

1/2A Nut wrote:hi guys I just bought one on ebay the lil stinker for 139.95 how do they fly???
From my limited experience, I'd say they fly quite well with a good-running engine.  Like several other Cox RTF's, one of their main weaknesses is in their landing gear.  On anything other than smooth asphalt or a gymnasium floor, you can just about count on knocking the little wheels from their snap-in mounts in the wheel fairings.  

Luckily, Bernie has (had?) some gear leg/engine mounts for them and I intend to eventually modify one of these with some small homemade wheels with a wire axle run through the fairings.  Another one of my intended projects !

Unfortunately, I was severely married at the time of the Gold Edition's release, and was too busy buying land and talking with contractors about building a house. Another of my major regrets that I didn't get a couple of these little jewels...

How many of you bought one of these? 6_23
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  John Goddard Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:10 am

dckrsn wrote:All this talk about Art Scholl piqued my interest
for even more info about him.
Found this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQKfvwoKc6w

Bob

Fabulous vid Bob nicely found
John Goddard
John Goddard
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:47 am

1/2A Nut wrote:hi guys I just bought one on ebay the lil stinker for 139.95 how do they fly???

For "roundy-round" flying they are OK but anything beyond that is questionable due to the design of the wing airfoil.  In times past they were popular Christmas presents that were soon "crashed and trashed" shortly after Chistmas by inexpereienced pilots.

It was fairly common to "dumpster dive" after Christmas and find enough parts to assemble one for youself.

If this scenario seems grim is a reflection on a past era.

SD

EDIT: Since you didn't post an introduction we have NO idea of your experience level.
If you are begining CL pilot it is HIGHLY REMMENDED that you learn to fly on domething less expensive that the one you bought for $135.

Just sayin'

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  1/2A Nut Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:35 pm

Thanks Dave is what I figured. The wing is deep under cambered will make the plane balloon. I may fill with balsa and make it semi symmetrical for a solid sit in the air and increase speed. I agree at 139 its a pricey buy. I was going to copy it for RC or retrofit existing to 4ch and a TD 020 with exhaust throttle. I did cox planes starting at 12 but didn't get a chance to try this lil gem.

I will have to do the introduction bit but for now 36yrs from 1/2A to 1/3rd scale RC boats and planes primary scratch builder designer. Gas / Methanol -Nitro / Elect.
1/2A Nut
1/2A Nut
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down