Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Do glow heads really glow??? Cox_ba12

Do glow heads really glow??? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Today at 7:53 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 7:00 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by dan vincent Today at 6:15 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Today at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Do glow heads really glow??? Empty
Live on Patrol

Do glow heads really glow???

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Do glow heads really glow??? Empty Do glow heads really glow???

Post  policetac Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:46 pm

(Yes. I did check the posts for my answer.)
Okay. I recently got a hold of a couple of older motors, (just the regular old Cox motors used in one of those planes that had the kite string on them, that you used to control the plane while turning around again and again in a circle.\
Here's the deal.
I just got some fuel today, (Super Power Fuel) so I went ahead and tried firing them u. No luck.
I'm pretty much positive that it's not a fuel problem, but the glow heads are a different story. I don't think these are working correctly, (or more likely, I'm just not doing it right.)

Here's what I did.

Since I didn't have a "starter kit," I went out and got a couple of brand new "D" size alkaline batteries, some alligator clips, and a bit of wire.
Now all of the pictures I've found indicate that the "positive" lead clips to the "fins" of the head, while the "negative" lead clips directly to the top "button looking" post that comes out of the center.

Using black tape, the two batteries are held together (quite well) in parallel, I attatched the leads, primed the motor, and turned it over. (a lot) to no avail.
I checked the heads with a multi-meter, looking for continuity, but got something I wasn't expecting. Continuity across both sides. So my first question is this.
1. How do you test a glow plug with a meter in order to determine whether or not it will work?
2. Which lead goes where? Negative or positive on the glow plugs "post?"
3.How many batteries (Ie. voltage, amperage) will these glow plugs require? (Please don't ask me what kind of heads they are, they're just the regular old Cox plane engines, and the heads they came with.).
4. How long do they take to "glow?"
5. Can you get them to "glow" while apart from the engine? (In order to "see" the coil is actually getting hot.)
6. What else can I do to figure out what the problem is?
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as this is really starting to drive me nuts! (I never expected these to be so difficult.)
For all of those that take the time to try and answer this, I'd like to thank you in advance.
Hope to hear from someone soon,
Sincerely,
Rick
policetac
policetac
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Do glow heads really glow??? Empty

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:04 am

policetac wrote:(Yes. I did check the posts for my answer.)
Okay. I recently got a hold of a couple of older motors, (just the regular old Cox motors used in one of those planes that had the kite string on them, that you used to control the plane while turning around again and again in a circle.\
Here's the deal.
I just got some fuel today, (Super Power Fuel) so I went ahead and tried firing them u. No luck.
I'm pretty much positive that it's not a fuel problem, but the glow heads are a different story. I don't think these are working correctly, (or more likely, I'm just not doing it right.)

Here's what I did.

Since I didn't have a "starter kit," I went out and got a couple of brand new "D" size alkaline batteries, some alligator clips, and a bit of wire.
Now all of the pictures I've found indicate that the "positive" lead clips to the "fins" of the head, while the "negative" lead clips directly to the top "button looking" post that comes out of the center.

Using black tape, the two batteries are held together (quite well) in parallel, I attatched the leads, primed the motor, and turned it over. (a lot) to no avail.
I checked the heads with a multi-meter, looking for continuity, but got something I wasn't expecting. Continuity across both sides. So my first question is this.
1. How do you test a glow plug with a meter in order to determine whether or not it will work?
2. Which lead goes where? Negative or positive on the glow plugs "post?"
3.How many batteries (Ie. voltage, amperage) will these glow plugs require? (Please don't ask me what kind of heads they are, they're just the regular old Cox plane engines, and the heads they came with.).
4. How long do they take to "glow?"
5. Can you get them to "glow" while apart from the engine? (In order to "see" the coil is actually getting hot.)
6. What else can I do to figure out what the problem is?
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated as this is really starting to drive me nuts! (I never expected these to be so difficult.)
For all of those that take the time to try and answer this, I'd like to thank you in advance.
Hope to hear from someone soon,
Sincerely,
Rick

Rick,

With a meter you just check for low Ohms or continuity.

I don't think it matters which lead goes where, I always put the positive on the post.

One battery will do it, but four is best and less of a load on the battery.

They should glow red within a second or two.

They will glow when removed from the engine.

As to your last question. Make sure the glow element is clean, make sure your batteries are good and if possible buy a starter box or at the very least solder the leads to the battery. Make sure your clip is clean and the head for that matter.

Ron

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Do glow heads really glow??? Empty Re: Do glow heads really glow???

Post  RknRusty Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:55 am

And make sure the glow element isn't bent over and short circuiting against the side of its enclosure. A fresh D cell will light it immediately, but like Ron said above, more in parallel will last longer. I use two D cells for a month or so before replacing them. Polarity makes no difference at all. The wire must be a fairly thick gauge and copper is best.

You may be surprised at how much current it takes to light the plug, several amps. For example, last night I made a new battery box because my old one was falling apart. I used a cheap battery box from Radio shack with chromed springs and contacts. I rewired it for a parallel configuration and soldered all connections. Two new batteries would not light a brand new plug. I put them back in my old box with copper contacts and it lit the plug bright orange. Surprisingly to me, the cheap chrome contacts and springs would not conduct enough current to light it. You might want to try soldering your connections to the battery, or getting a box with strong copper contacts.

If the element needs centering, you can carefully and gently center it with a small pick. Under a magnifying glass helps. It could have some crud around it that can be cleaned out with a shot of solvent. I use brake parts cleaner. Alcohol, acetone, or even WD40 will probably work. I'm betting your battery connections are where you're losing it. If the plugs have good conductivity, they should light. For a plug to keep an engine running after the battery is disconnected, the glow element must still have enough platinum coating to react with the fuel's methanol to remain lit, but a battery will still fire it up.

Now for the disappointing and stupid bad news. Cox Super Power fuel will ruin Cox engines in very short order. It's not made for old Cox engines and is sold by Tower who only bought the rights to the Cox logo. They have no concern with our old Cox engines at all. The problem with it is it does not contain the Castor oil that's absolutely necessary to lubricate these little engines. One of our members tested it and posted this thread about his experience:

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t5215-cox-fuel-test-plane

You need fuel with 20-25% nitromethane and 20% oil, half of which must be castor.There are many threads here explaining why. I'm on the fly now, so can't go into detail, but will be back to this thread later. Others will chip in more info. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  dinsdale Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:15 am

G'day Policetac.

What RknRusty said Very Happy . Especially the bit about castor oil. Coxes MUST have castor oil.

You can remove the glow head and watch the glow element. It should light up almost instantly.

Welcome!
Dins
dinsdale
dinsdale
Account Deactivated by Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:34 am

I have some pretty dim glowing heads (yes, fresh batteries) that run the engine just fine. You may want to check for glow in a dimly lit or shaded place.

For checking the element with a probe, such as a pin or needle, be prepared to buy a new glow plug or head. However this can eliminate problems from a bent element, and will positively identify a bad connection. No, you can't repair a glow head that the element breaks out of.

I use 3 D-cells in parallel using 3 single battery holders from Radio Shack. Each holder is wired directly to the binding post. I got fancy and used some black plastic sheet (lexan) underneath the battery holders, and to hold the binding posts. This is screwed to a 1x4 that is trimmed neat.

This arrangement lasts a long time per set of batteries, but I take the batteries out so they are disconnected between flying days. I remove the batteries because of concerns about cross-draining, and I don't get to fly but every few weeks.

Run your engines at night for a sweet light show. You can see up the exhaust slot and see the fireball even in daylight. Often there are tongues of flame too.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  policetac Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:17 pm

Must have Castor oil?
Okay, I guess I didn't read all of the posts...Smile
Okay, Castor oil?
In the fuel? Or in the cylinder?
If it's in the fuel how come they don't just put it in there to begin with??? If it goes into the cylinder, (makes more sense to me:) then I assume it's used in order to increase the initial compression???
Some clarity on this would be greatly appreciated.

To the glow plugs.
I tested for continuity, and everywhere I touch the plug I get a "connection." I am to then assume that this is a closed "short" circuit? I'm guessing with the "coil" as the resistance?
And that this "short" is what is going to be causing the "head" to heat up and "glow."
Okay, pretty much the mechanisms I figured. Problem is though, I got two good readings, am using two "new" batteries, and have good readings as well on my wires and connections. Still no glow however. (Will I see it in regular "room" light?

Hmmm. Perhaps they are bad.

Well, I haven' started the project yet today. I wanted to check here first. So, now that I've done that, I guess I'll take your folk's help, and take another look at the things right now. I'll let you know how things turn out.
Wish me luck! Smile
Thanks again,
Rick
policetac
policetac
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:09 pm

These are a 2-cycle motor, so the oil is in the fuel. Cox engines are lapped mild steel pistons and cylinders so they are not as robust as more modern hard plated engines. The fuel should have minimum 18% total oil, with at least half of that being castor oil. 20%-22% total oil will improve engine life. All castor may be necessary with worn engines because the varnish buildup may be all that is sealing the piston. Castor is necessary because the piston is on a ball joint, which is a difficult to lubricate connection.

Under room lighting you may need to cup your hand over the plug to see a glow if it is dim. Outside on a clear day you will need to cup your hand even if it is a strong glow. The resistance of the glow element is very close to a short circuit. It may be less than 1 ohm. If you are using alligator clips you need to use a covered clip for the post to prevent an accidental short (or a couple wraps of electrical tape), and a large enough clip for the cylinder that it can grab the diameter.

I prefer this type of clip because it works on my bigger engines too.
http://coxengines.ca/cox-glow-plug-clip-tweezer-style.html

but I have used alligator clips and they work fine. I have also used this type
http://coxengines.ca/cox-glow-plug-clip-oem-style.html
but I like the tweezer / clothspin type to better, it's a personal choice.

Plugs can also become dirty and this will prevent them from glowing brightly (probably what is wrong with some of my glow heads). If you drip a little fuel into the energized head it will boil and smoke. This means the head is electrically good. You can attempt to clean using MAP sensor cleaner (or acid, but I have never tried this)

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  policetac Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:29 pm

Well, I discovered the probable cause of my starting problems.
"Parallel" Not "In Series!"
Here's the deal though. As soon as I discovered this, I went to wire the batteries together, but before I could even get to the connecting wires on top, (positive) the one on the bottom started getting really, really hot. (or at least a good warm anyway!)

So, I've got two (2) "D" size batteries just sitting here waiting right now for me to quit acting like a baby and just "wire 'em up!" :/

It's going to be negative to negative, positive to positive, both to one lead each right?

Thanks. I'll be hanging out this time in case a chat is needed.
Again, I really appreciate all of the help.
TTYS
Rick
policetac
policetac
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:37 pm

Castor oil is the lubricant that is in the fuel. For instance you can have fuel that is 25% nitromethane/55% Methanol/ 20% castor oil. That mix is a good old timey recipe for Cox engines.

When castor oil is heated inside the engine, it forms longer chain polymers in the form of a varnish that coats the internal parts. This varnish protects the ball socket between the piston rod and piston, and also a light varnish on the cylinder walls helps maintain compression. Without that buildup, the piston and rod WILL fail. Sometimes the varnish can build up to excessive thickness on the cylinder walls and will slow the engine, and require cleaning. This commonly happens shortly after breaking in a new engine.

When synthetic oils are heated, they flash off into their basic components... in other words, they burn off, and exit through the exhaust as plain old smoke. Used alone(with no castor in the mix), they leave behind no protective film to protect the con rod and piston socket, nor do they help maintain compression. Castor's characteristic of not burning means most of it in its original form exits through the exhaust, taking heat with it. So castor regulates the engine temperature, another important advantage. With pure synthetic, the Cox engine would quickly overheat.

In recent years synthetic oils have become common in the mix too.  Combined with castor, they wash some of the varnish off as it builds up, while still allowing a beneficial amount of varnish to remain. This is where modern synthetic oils help. This keeps a happy engine that can run for many years without having to be de-varnished. An example of this fuel would be Sig Champion 25, sold by sigmanufacturing.com (and several other suppliers too). It is composed of 25% nitromethane/55% methanol/20% oil, where the oil is a 50%/50% mix of castor and synthetic. Any oil used in a Cox engine must be composed of at least half castor. For me personally, Sig Champion is the gold Standard for Coxes. Some brands have 17-18% oil which is good enough too. I personally prefer 20% oil.The Super Power fuel has 18% oil, of which only 10% is castor, and 90% synthetic. Bad juice. They should be ashamed of themselves.

I hope this clears up some of your questions.
I just got back from 5 hours of flying, so I'm about to faceplant on my keyboard. I'll get back later as will others to help answer more of your questions.
Rusty

EDIT: Phil beat me to it. I was typing while he was posting.

Last edited by RknRusty on Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:47 pm; edited 2 times in total

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:43 pm

policetac wrote:Well, I discovered the probable cause of my starting problems.
"Parallel" Not "In Series!"
Here's the deal though. As soon as I discovered this, I went to wire the batteries together, but before I could even get to the connecting wires on top, (positive) the one on the bottom started getting really, really hot. (or at least a good warm anyway!)

So, I've got two (2) "D" size batteries just sitting here waiting right now for me to quit acting like a baby and just "wire 'em up!"  :/

It's going to be negative to negative, positive to positive, both to one lead each right?

Thanks. I'll be hanging out this time in case a chat is needed.
Again, I really appreciate all of the help.
TTYS
Rick
Right, parallel only. Series will fry the element. 1.5 volts to light a glow plug.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:52 pm

Make sure your glow plug isn't full with castor goo.  If it is, a quick and easy tip is to heat it up slightly with a propane torch and it will pour out.
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/wingingit74/

Back to top Go down

Post  policetac Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:02 pm

So is it ok that the batteries started to get hot? Or was that just because I didn't have it completely wired yet?
Do glow heads really glow??? 1002191_10201561919791434_1752983679_n
Do glow heads really glow??? 998780_10201561919151418_544252012_n
Using the picture that shows the batteries, this would be correct right? (If I connect them the same way as they are laying in the picture, only actually "ON" the terminals) Smile
Thanks Smile
policetac
policetac
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:06 pm

Pull the plug off and see what it's doing.
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:15 pm

Before you go any further please mount the engine to a block of hard wood and mount it in a vice or bolt it to something stationary. If and when it does start that C clamp will not hold it and you could get injured.

The batteries should not get hot. Also the wire you are using is not shielded and could short together or against something very easily.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:22 pm

Yes you are doing it right, but the batteries should not get hot just sitting there.  

The "cross draining" I was concerned with which is why I always take the batteries out at the end of the day, and may be why the batteries are getting hot.  If they are fresh batteries of the same brand they _should_not_ (heh) cross drain.  If one battery is at a different charge state than the other cross draining becomes possible.  

If you want fancy...
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2062249
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103985&clickid=prod_cs

There's my shopping list, add in a few screws, a block of wood, and maybe a piece of plastic or a project box and it will be easy.  Using the binding posts means you can get a plunger type glow plug driver for bigger engines in full cowl airplanes with no effort.

Or order one from Bernie
http://coxengines.ca/cox-starter-battery-box-with-clip.html
or Matt
http://www.exmodelengines.com/battery-box-glow-plug-clip-for-cox-engines.html

Wrapping the battery in tape is probably easier than soldering, and is what I did before I got the battery holders.  

Heh, narrow engine
https://www.coxengineforum.com/t4224-uber-rare-narrow-babe-bee-tanks?highlight=narrow

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:27 pm

I bought a pair of those, which can be quickly change from 1.5v to 3v if needed.
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:35 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:...The batteries should not get hot. Also the wire you are using is not shielded and could short together or against something very easily.

Ron
That wire is too thin. You need heavier gauge quality copper wire, like 14g, and seriously solid connections. That plug draws several amps.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  policetac Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:07 pm

Okay, here's what I'm going to do.
I just got back from the pharmacy with a bottle of Castor oil.
I'd like to mix a small batch of fuel, but I don't know how much to add.
The previous posts states, "25% nitromethane/55% methanol/20% oil, where the oil is a 50%/50% mix of castor and synthetic"
So my question here is: "If the oil is already added to the "Super Power Fuel," and 1/2 of it is supposed to be the "Castor" oil. then how much of the "additional" oil I just bought should I "add" to the Super Power Fuel? Smile

Oh, and I rigged a battery/starter unit.
Do glow heads really glow??? 970692_10201563958522401_1169764385_n
policetac
policetac
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:53 pm

OK, do you remember your high school math? (yes) This is easy then.

Write a simple spreadsheet to calculate oil volume per fuel volume, then calculate the percentage after adding a portion of oil.

There are some calculators online, but I strongly recommend working it out longhand at least once so YOU know what the numbers mean.

I can email you my Excel spreadsheet if you want.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:15 pm

Thanks, Phil, I'm banging my head against the wall. I keep coming up with this, but I don't think it's right.
Do glow heads really glow??? Captur10

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:03 pm

Actually it looks good, no I am not working it out longhand but I may switch to the laptop and compare to my spreadsheet.

Sig fig on the castor volume, but that is just how many decimal places you carry (0.58 would be carrying the extras in the first line).

I pull the synthetic oil volume out too, but it is just a different angle to look at.

It looks like this can't be doped with "enough" castor to hit 50/50.  

Phil
edit:
My spreadsheet produces the same values.
Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Do glow heads really glow??? Empty Yet another reason..................

Post  SuperDave Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:33 pm

Cox glo heads don't glow orange as they should is oxidation on the aluminum clyinder head. Polish the suspect head with a Dremel buffing for a possible fix before replacing the head.

SuperDave
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  policetac Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:23 pm

Okay,
Here's an update.
I still haven't gotten the motors to actually start yet.
I even tried straight power fuel, but I think my problem has been with my "battery/glow plug setup. (Timing/3rd hand reliance! Smile R and D is slowly eliminating this as a problem however!

Then, I just got this stuff dropped off at my door today.
Do glow heads really glow??? 1148884_10201587380627939_817539835_n
Do glow heads really glow??? 1095078_10201587382187978_1234212833_n
Note the one on the bottom with the yellow propeller? That one is really cool looking. I especially like the air cleaner.
I still don't know how to get around the formula problem. (Being a shade-tree quantum mechanic probably doesn't help.) I mean, I could add 1% of the Castor oil to the pre-mix, but then my nitromethane, and Methanol percentages will share in a dilution reduction as my oil percentage rises by 1%.
Perhaps I'll simply "coat" my cylinder with the oil, and use pure Power Fuel, just for starting. (I've yet to get these even running remember? Smile
That said, anything interesting in these motors?
I'll be back later today and let you all know what happens.
Thanks for being here,
Sincerely
Rick
policetac
policetac
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:48 pm

Rick,

The yellow propped engine is your bog standard TD .049 and the air cleaner is actually the venturi with the screen being added sometime around 1973.

These things are not to hard to start so something is up for sure. Your fuel can be as low as 10% just to fire one off, even if it's just off prime. The oil needs to be around 18-20% so if you can get that going then your fuel will work to start one.

As to your battery even one D cell will do the job in a pinch. If your glow heads are suspect take some of your new ones and try those until you can get one to glow.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  policetac Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:14 pm

Okay, cool. Thank you for the reply.
So. once it comes down to the Castor oil,k I can probably get away with simply adding a small "dollop" to the full quart of Super Fuel that I've got.
Yes, I would have to agree. There isn't much that should really go wrong with these, which leads me to believe that It is in fact "me" and my current fears of energy that have been interfering. (I've been doing a lot of strange things with low power energy lately and I'm afraid I've become a little gun shy to the amounts we think of as weak. Smile
But, as I said, I think I've got that one licked.
I'll be back with my next post hopefully with some good news.
Thanks again
Rick
policetac
policetac
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next