Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Sig easy hinges Cox_ba12

Sig easy hinges Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» #Abortion pills in Dubai#+277-32027887 Abortion pills for sale in Dubai
by kasm Yesterday at 11:51 pm

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:40 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Sig easy hinges Empty
Live on Patrol

Sig easy hinges

Go down

Sig easy hinges Empty Sig easy hinges

Post  roddie Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:47 pm

Hinging our control surfaces is one of the more "tedious" parts of model airplane construction. I have settled on Sig "Easy Hinges" for this task. The "only" drawback is that they're a "permanent" hinge (it you consider that a drawback...)

Each pc. of hinge mat'l. measures 3/4" x 1" and two of them is more than enough to hinge the elevator on a 1/2-A plane. I generally "cut" strips of hinge mat'l. 1/4" W. x 3/4" L. with scissors, which gives me 4 sm. hinges. On a real sm. plane; 4 would be enough... I generally use 6 on a 8+ in. span tail-plane. I "radius" all the corners for easier insertion into the slots of the stab./elev., that are cut with a #11 x-acto blade. HINT: a scrap strip of 1/16" plywood; the size of a popsicle stick works great for slotting 1/8" thick balsa... Just lay it against your part to be slotted, and lay the blade flat on top of the plywood, which "centers" it for the slot. Carefully push the blade into the balsa, keeping firm pressure downward to keep the blade level. Painless neat slots...

Thin CA glue is used at final assembly to anchor the hinges. One drop on ea. side of the hinge "wicks" into both surfaces for a permanent bond. For added security, you can put 3-4 "pinholes" on ea. side of the hinge bearing area in the balsa... but if you're "covering" your pcs. before assy., you may not want to do this.

Here's a pic of a stab./split elev. using 6 Sig Easy Hinges.

Sig easy hinges Stab_e10

Sig #SH710 "Easy Hinges" link

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmart.exe/DetailProduct.html?L+Sig+gpyo4049+_Dimagefile_02SIGSH710_2ehtml_01uzup_02N_01num_02SIGSH710_01

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Sig easy hinges Empty Re: Sig easy hinges

Post  Mark Boesen Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:00 pm

Yep, that's what i do/use. Sig used to give those out as prize/promo for contests. I think i got enough to last a lifetime...not that i got a overwhelming supply, i'm north of fifty and don't build much.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:04 am

Easy hinges were my staple on 1/2A CL until I figured out how to do thread hinges. I like how the easy hinges look, but they are very stiff.

I never thought the stiffness was an issue until I flew the same plane that I had used easy hinges with stitched hinges. World of difference between the two when it came to controlling the plane, much more fluid.

That is my experience, but the easy hinges do work just not as well. In my humble opinion anyway...

Roddie, I like your slotting method very good idea!

Ron

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:36 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Easy hinges were my staple on 1/2A CL until I figured out how to do thread hinges. I like how the easy hinges look, but they are very stiff.

I never thought the stiffness was an issue until I flew the same plane that I had used easy hinges with stitched hinges. World of difference between the two when it came to controlling the plane, much more fluid.

That is my experience, but the easy hinges do work just not as well. In my humble opinion anyway...

Roddie, I like your slotting method very good idea!

Ron

Thanks Ron, What size were you cutting your Easy Hinges to when you "were" using them? Maybe if you tried cutting them down to 1/8" W. x 3/4" L. and used less of them... you'd get the control sensitivity you're looking for? Maybe you've tried that... as I stated; I cut mine to 1/4" W., but may try 1/2 that width on my next project.

Incidentally... I also have great luck joining a split elevator, using the drill-guide that comes with the Dubro #216 Kwik-Hinge Slotter pkg. I bend-up an .062" m/w "U"-brace and use the guide and a 1/16" drill bit... twisting with my finger/thumb... get's it done.

Is there any info here at CEF on the "stitched hinges"? I'm curious now!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:45 pm

Hey Roddie,

Yeah I cut them in half and then in half again so whatever that amounts to. I never use more than 3 on 1/2A surfaces. They do work fine and look good. The stitched hinges offer no resistance whatsoever.

Do a search on stitched hinges or take a look at my PDQ/Brodak baby clown build thread in the modeling section.

Ron

Found it...

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t1850-old-school-stitched-hinges?highlight=Stitched+hinges
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:43 pm

I use EZ Hinges on planes up to about .15 sized --- for larger, I usually use hinge points. I also use a piece of balsa to support my Xacto blade or razor blade for centering the slot. I try to use the thinnest blade possible to keep the slot tight. Before inserting the hinge material (cut to about 1/4" wide for 1/2A), I drill a vertical hole all the way through the wood about where the center of the hinge material will be. A piece of 1/16" sharpened brass tubing works well or sharpened 3/64" music wire.

After the hinge is inserted, I add CA to the hole only on both sides. This ensures that the CA will wick all the way to the back of the slot, to both edges and out to the hinge line. I never add CA to the hinge line since CA does not disappear or shrink due to evaporation --- it just leaves cured CA in the slot and tends to stiffen the hinge.

I have had CA hinges fatigue and stress fracture after long usage, so a hinge check should always be included in your preflight.
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:28 pm

I have had easy hinges break upon impact. Not pretty as they usually take a lot of wood with them when they pull free. On the other hand the rest of the model is so trashed that a broken hinge is the least of your problems Wink 
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:15 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Do a search on stitched hinges or take a look at my PDQ/Brodak baby clown build thread in the modeling section.

Ron

Found it...

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t1850-old-school-stitched-hinges?highlight=Stitched+hinges
GREAT "THREAD" Ron!!! (pun intended)Smile Thanks for digging that up for us!

Rog
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:23 pm

No problem,

Glad to help, please don't think I am frowning on easy hinges as I am not. I have plenty of models that utilize them still and they fly fine.

I very recently got turned on to stitched hinges and I liked the result. Not as pretty, but In this case I don't mind messing up aesthetics for the sake of performance.

Just wanted to lay out some options.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down