Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

OS .35 FP - bringing it back to life Cox_ba12

OS .35 FP - bringing it back to life Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» #Abortion pills in Dubai#+277-32027887 Abortion pills for sale in Dubai
by kasm Yesterday at 11:51 pm

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:40 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

OS .35 FP - bringing it back to life Empty
Live on Patrol

OS .35 FP - bringing it back to life

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

OS .35 FP - bringing it back to life Empty OS .35 FP - bringing it back to life

Post  RknRusty Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:36 pm

I got this OS .35 FP on a Skyray that, though has the looks of a beater, is really in airworthy shape. The engine was a little stiff, so I splashed some alcohol behind the drive plate and in the exhaust and venturi and turned it over a few turns. Then shook it out and drenched everything with air tool oil. It feels pretty good now, but I thought I should ask before cranking it. Is there any reason I should dismount it and open it up? Any possibility of a Fox-like stuck con rod or anything? Or should I just kick the tire and light the fire?

Thanks,
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

OS .35 FP - bringing it back to life Empty Re: OS .35 FP - bringing it back to life

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:21 pm

Don't think so. I think it's a pressed pin. I think.... I had my .40 apart and now I don't remember.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

OS .35 FP - bringing it back to life Empty Re: OS .35 FP - bringing it back to life

Post  Ken Cook Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:56 pm

If concerned, I would pull the backplate and spray some PB Blaster in there and work the rod back and forth on the wrist pin. Personally, I would run it. Keep in mind you could damage the backplate gasket. This is where the Permatex Anaerobic gasket maker is very handy. A little info on the .35. They were made in iron piston and also ABN versions. I know I made mention of this to you, but I can't remember but I believe you may have the iron piston version. This is detectable by the bulge on the bypass. Another way to tell is the casting on the case, the wording looks more like it's italicized on the ABN versions. The rods are bushed on both ends of the FP .35-40. The wrist pin has Teflon end pads on both ends of it. The FP .35-.40 share the same crank, rod , crankcase but have a different liner, wrist pin and also piston obviously. The FP engines are also complimented by a fully bushed case unlike the LA series which has to pressed in oilite bearings. I personally have found the .35 to be easier to tame then the .40. I have some great running .40's and no retiming or mods have been done to them. I've seen some engines totally @#$%'d up from people retiming the liner or changing the head. Run the engine with a low pitch prop. The APC 10.5 x 4.5 prop is a very good prop to use on these engines. A 10x5 or 10x6 will turn that Skyray into a combat plane real fast. The engine needs to rev very high and the prop I recommended will do that. You probably won't like the price. These run about $4-5 a piece.

While some claim the iron piston needs the full castor treatment, I've seen many of them run on 50/50 just fine. Keep in mind these were geared initially towards the r/c crowd and there choice of fuels is usually waaaaaay low on oil compared to ours. Then again, they're not dragging two sixty foot lines around for 7 minutes at a time at full throttle. Your Powermaster has enough oil in that fuel to run that engine perfectly without concerns of damage. That's all I run my Fox's on.

I can only assume since the engine is mounted and the plane apparently has been flown that there was no runaway issues and therefore the head has the proper head gasket amount and the venturi is the correct size. Check the wing for twists or warps and go out and fly that thing. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:36 pm

Believe it or not you can use a high power magnet and identify the liner without dissassembly.  (Iron vs not-iron) I use a name tag back with some rare earth magnets.  Mere ceramic magnets are not strong enough.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:55 pm

I was told by a reliable source, that the older steel liner has the OS Max FP vertically on the engine and horizontally on the newer engines. Great engine! It might be a little much for the Skyray 35. My son flies two of them on .25FP's in beginner stunt, with all the power it needs. It might even be a little nose heavy. It will most likely fly the pattern better than your Shoestring.
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:10 am

duke.johnson wrote:I was told by a reliable source, that the older steel liner has the OS Max FP vertically on the engine and horizontally on the newer engines. Great engine! It might be a little much for the Skyray 35.  My son flies two of them on .25FP's in beginner stunt, with all the power it needs.  It might even be a little nose heavy. It will most likely fly the pattern better than your Shoestring.
I'll check for that, Duke. Ken identified them Sunday by the shape of the outer liner. But like I told him at the time, I would forget, and sure enough, I did. Yeah, I'm hoping the Shoestring is exacerbating some of my bad shapes. I'll find out soon. I have a big flapless Clown of some sort with an OS .40 on it too.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:15 am

I'm still under the opinion that the small loops are from your deep 1/2A roots. I was doing the same thing at first until those I flew with kept telling me to open them up. Unlike you this was all new to me so it was easy to correct. You have been flying 1/2A as long as I have been alive so it only makes sense.

It's probably something that will correct itself over time. If you look at the OTS pattern it's flown with large loops and rounded corners due to the limitations of the airframes at the time. Your Shoestring while not OTS legal still utilizes the technology of that time. So I guess what I am saying is that even though your Skyray is newer with more span it won't correct the tightness of the loops. It will probably make it worse.

Keep in mind I don't have the experience you do so don't think I am talking down to you cause I ain't. It takes a good bit of skill to take 3rd in your first contest.

Unless there were only three of you...lol! 

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:21 am

I just re-read your post. It will clean up the shapes of square loops, wingovers and such just not loops. I really need to read more closely.

When you have time I would love to see some pics of your .40 powered flapless Clown.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  SuperDave Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:00 pm

From experience doing loops I've found "tracing" the loop with your flying handle helps them become more precise.

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Oct 26, 2013 1:37 pm

SuperDave wrote:From experience doing loops I've found "tracing" the loop with your flying handle helps them become more precise.

SD
I started doing that in practice a couple of weeks ago and flew better shapes, but when the official flight started I flew less relaxed. I really wasn't nervous, just not carefree and loose. And cold as heck, too. It had warmed up nicely by the time I flew again though.

Ron, I'll get a pic next time I go out to the shop.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

OS .35 FP - bringing it back to life Empty sale turbocharger

Post  anna1101 Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:40 am

[content removed by administrator]
anna1101
anna1101
Banned

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:47 am

duke.johnson wrote:I was told by a reliable source, that the older steel liner has the OS Max FP vertically on the engine and horizontally on the newer engines. Great engine! It might be a little much for the Skyray 35.  My son flies two of them on .25FP's in beginner stunt, with all the power it needs.  It might even be a little nose heavy. It will most likely fly the pattern better than your Shoestring.
Duke, the fp .35 is a beautiful match for my Skyray. I fly it with a cut down TF Power Point prop, an 11x4 cut to 10.5x4. I set it to a wet 2-stroke and it holds steady power with no break. It flies 5.03 second laps, very comfortable for me.

Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:50 am

anna1101 wrote:[content removed by administrator]
Jacob, you beat me to it. I was just about to give him the business.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:03 am

RknRusty wrote:
anna1101 wrote:[content removed by administrator]
Jacob, you beat me to it. I was just about to give him the business.
They posted 13 spam posts in under 10 minutes! Mad 

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:04 am

Here's another question I've been meaning to ask about the fp; since the glow plug has no identifying markings I can identify, I was wondering if my spare OS8 mediums are a good choice. And if I prefer to run a wet 2-stroke, would a hot plug be a better choice than the medium? Same question for my one fp.40

Just making sure I'm prepared, it's an old Boy Scout thing.

Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:14 am

Rusty, I can't recall what OS did but they did change their numerical system on one of the plugs. I may be incorrect, but the hot plug maybe now designated the A3. The A3 I believe is what comes with the engine stock and is pretty close to the #8. It works fine with most fuels even 5%.  The OS #8 is a medium heat range and would probably work just fine.  If it's working, leave it. If stumbling or fouling occurs you will certainly recognize it. Listen for when you remove the glow plug igniter and check if you have a rpm drop. Again, in my opinion you want the hottest plug you can find. My experience has shown the Thunderbolt r/c long is the best plug for that engine next to a Enya #3. These plugs will almost last for an infinite amount of time and run perfect with 5%-10% fuel. With these engines, you will notice a change in power going from 5-10 % fuels not to mention your run times will be slightly shorter using 10%.

These engines really don't run a 4-2 break. They run just as you like to run it in a wet two with a slight break when pointed skyward. If the break becomes too harsh and the engine really speeds up, add an additional head gasket or try and cut back on your nitro. This is also amplified by using restrictive mufflers as these engines are not tolerant of heat. It will experience the problems your .25 was going through and the .40 will take off like a runaway freight train. Many times, some have the head hemi'd to lower the compression to avoid this problem. This is what head gaskets do as well. This however really cuts back on the power. Run the engine first and fly the plane and see how it does. I feel someone already invested the time into that .40 to make it run correctly for our useage. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  afml Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:42 am

"My experience has shown the Thunderbolt r/c long is the best plug for that engine "

I'll second that!
Good advice Ken...
"Tight Lines!" Tired w/ Coffee Read 
Wes
afml
afml

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:56 am

afml wrote:"My experience has shown the Thunderbolt r/c long is the best plug for that engine "

I'll second that!
Good advice Ken...
"Tight Lines!" Tired w/ Coffee Read 
Wes
Hi Wes, thanks for chipping in.
I haven't gotten around to the fp.40 yet, but after flying the .35 first with the prop that was on it when I got it, I put on a prop similar to Ken's recommendation and it's perfect, wet 2, no break and 5.03 second laps. A very pleasant surprise. Now I can go out and just fly patterns and learn. This one doesn't have any signs of needing a new glow plug, but if I get bored at the field, I'll screw in an OS8 and see what happens.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:04 am

i'll third that! i really like those plugs, I've also had good luck with Swanson Fireballs.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:08 am

I'll 4th that. Thunderbolts will take care of any quirky little problems you might have. They are around $5 a plug, but well worth it. I would have one in on contest day...
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:15 am

andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:i'll third that! i really like those plugs, I've also had good luck with Swanson Fireballs.
Cribbs74 wrote:I'll 4th that. Thunderbolts will take care of any quirky little problems you might have. They are around $5 a plug, but well worth it. I would have one in on contest day...
Okay, I can't ignore that kind of resounding testimonial advice. Thunderbolt R/C long and Swanson Fireballs. And Ken has mentioned one or both in the past too. Besides, they have cool names, I'll look them up. Thanks guys.

Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:38 pm

I guess I've been away too long, just saw the price of Thunderbolts! They used to be a lower priced plug, sold thru Hobby Shack, now Hobby People.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:05 pm

Folks probably realized they were a good plug. And the price rose accordingly.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:16 pm

Is this the one?
OS .35 FP - bringing it back to life 41NJFautRpL._SL250_

one of those and a Dynaglo #1950 D cell glow igniter are my monthly hobby purchases this month.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next