Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

First Run/Break-In of my P.A.W. Diesel .06 RC ! Cox_ba12

First Run/Break-In of my P.A.W. Diesel .06 RC ! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» #Abortion pills in Dubai#+277-32027887 Abortion pills for sale in Dubai
by kasm Yesterday at 11:51 pm

» Original Box for P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer Value
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 11:09 pm

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:40 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Yesterday at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Yesterday at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Yesterday at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Yesterday at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:46 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

First Run/Break-In of my P.A.W. Diesel .06 RC ! Empty
Live on Patrol

First Run/Break-In of my P.A.W. Diesel .06 RC !

Go down

First Run/Break-In of my P.A.W. Diesel .06 RC ! Empty First Run/Break-In of my P.A.W. Diesel .06 RC !

Post  Kim Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:09 am

Finally got a chance to do some engine runs, and got my P.A.W. .06 Diesel on the stand.

Man...everything smells funky! Anyway, after an indeterminable amount of cranking, it suddenly decided to start up. I kept it running for 30 minutes, while I tried to get a clue about all this Compression vrs Mixture stuff.

I think I may have been running it pretty rich, but didn't want to burn the thing up.

With an 8-4 prop, the top-end (remember rich mixture) was 8000 and change, while I could slow it down to just under 4000.

Fuel was from Davis Diesel with no mixture info on the can...just labeled as "1/2A" fuel. I figure I'll be getting some more from Mr. Clutton.

First Run/Break-In of my P.A.W. Diesel .06 RC ! 1_28

First Run/Break-In of my P.A.W. Diesel .06 RC ! 2_18

If I have time, gonna try to run my Tee Dee .15, and experiment with the case-pressure effect on it's running.

Diesel Driver Kim
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

First Run/Break-In of my P.A.W. Diesel .06 RC ! Empty Re: First Run/Break-In of my P.A.W. Diesel .06 RC !

Post  andrew Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:13 am

Those are some pretty good turns on an 8x4 from a .06 .

I really like your poor man's throttle servo!!
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

First Run/Break-In of my P.A.W. Diesel .06 RC ! Empty Re: First Run/Break-In of my P.A.W. Diesel .06 RC !

Post  nitroairplane Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:17 am

Very nice Kim!
Thanks for running her?
Remember an under compressed run is ALWAYS better than an overcompressed one!
You'll love it once you know it and have it run in.
Gonna fly it?
It will swing big props happily.

If there is any help you need and I can provide I will.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://modeldieselengines.forumstopic.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:24 am

andrew wrote:Those are some pretty good turns on an 8x4 from a .06 .

I really like your poor man's throttle servo!!

Thanks Andrew! Yeah, my "Throttle Servo" is the Ultra_Low Maintenance Model !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:28 am

nitroairplane wrote:Very nice Kim!
Thanks for running her?
Remember an under compressed run is ALWAYS better than an overcompressed one!
You'll love it once you know it and have it run in.
Gonna fly it?
It will swing big props happily.

If there is any help you need and I can provide I will.

Yeah, I was trying to err on the side of caution, but I got to tell you, it nearly got stood on a stump and shot!

Figure on flying it on my "Q"Tee"...gonna be a horse on that little plane, but it's got really smooth throttling, so shouldn't be a problem...IF I can start it without twisting the firewall off the plane!

And yes---I WILL be taking you up on your kind offer of assistance !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:37 am

After a while it should become a 1st flick starter.
Remember they are a lot heavier than a black widow and a lot more powerful than a reedie.
But yeah put it on a Q-tee and you may have a 3d trainer Smile

Yes diesels can be frustrating the firt time you try them but you will come to love it.
Anyway if you do get upset don't shoot it just pop in a packet and send it over here Smile
a little cub would be nice with one of those.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Nov 09, 2011 11:53 am

Yep...I was just joking. I've had situations that were a lot more frustrating than this little engine. Once I hit my patience' limit...I just shut down the shop, and take a walk up the road!

I may also hang a metal tank on the side of the Lazy Bee, and run it on there.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  PV Pilot Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:04 pm

Kim wrote:. Once I hit my patience' limit...I just shut down the shop, and take a walk up the road!

Neat motor. Getting closer to running my little project, as the tracking numbers get closer.

Yup, step away from the hobby table for a few. I have a very high patience level, but some days it does race right to the top. Occasionally I will contemplate my next move by doing a eyelid light penetrating check, and a better idea will arise out of the grey matter. sleep ,, Affraid or WOW!

PV Pilot
PV Pilot
High Tech Balsa Basher
High Tech Balsa Basher

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:07 pm

Kim wrote:Yep...I was just joking. I've had situations that were a lot more frustrating than this little engine. Once I hit my patience' limit...I just shut down the shop, and take a walk up the road!

I may also hang a metal tank on the side of the Lazy Bee, and run it on there.

Yeah i shoot anti persperant cans with my airsoft guns when things get real stressful.
a lazy bee would be perfect.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:23 pm

PV Pilot wrote:
Kim wrote:. Once I hit my patience' limit...I just shut down the shop, and take a walk up the road!

Neat motor. Getting closer to running my little project, as the tracking numbers get closer.

Yup, step away from the hobby table for a few. I have a very high patience level, but some days it does race right to the top. Occasionally I will contemplate my next move by doing a eyelid light penetrating check, and a better idea will arise out of the grey matter. sleep ,, Affraid or WOW!

I've tried to push through on a couple of projects...always regretted it when I came back the next day, looked at the lousy work, and wondered who had been messing around in my shop !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:53 pm

A short video from today. Not the most exciting, but still cool for me to see this thing running!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDloh4OQUS4
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:17 am

Very nice Kim.
Is it getting easier?
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:32 am

Didn't get a chance to try it again before work, but may give it a shot this morning. You ought to hear me trying to explain my fun with this thing to my friends !!!!

Also, forgot to mention Mr. Clutton in the video info...will have to do that also. He's a real force in this field, and included his own notes with the engine to help me get a clue about it.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:00 pm

Kim wrote:Didn't get a chance to try it again before work, but may give it a shot this morning. You ought to hear me trying to explain my fun with this thing to my friends !!!!

Also, forgot to mention Mr. Clutton in the video info...will have to do that also. He's a real force in this field, and included his own notes with the engine to help me get a clue about it.

Cool Eric Clutton IS Dr.Diesel Smile
Diesels not too popular or should i say mainstream in the USA is it?
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:52 pm

nitroairplane wrote:
Kim wrote:Didn't get a chance to try it again before work, but may give it a shot this morning. You ought to hear me trying to explain my fun with this thing to my friends !!!!

Cool Eric Clutton IS Dr.Diesel Smile
Diesels not too popular or should i say mainstream in the USA is it?

Well, It IS a challenge to get the fuel, and technology is different. Especially with glow flying and it's logistics already being established, I can see where folks would be hesitant to take on another power source that's gonna require ALL of it's own, separate support equipment.

I just like the idea of experimenting, and diesel is an area that I've practically no experience flying.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:54 pm

Is getting fuel that hard?
you guys have at least 4 different suppliers and you can get all the ingredients to make it.
But I think everyone who can should have a go at it.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:47 pm

nitroairplane wrote:Is getting fuel that hard?
you guys have at least 4 different suppliers and you can get all the ingredients to make it.

Well, and this is just my limited experience, you just don't see the fuel supplied in Hobby Stores---a lot of model flyers STILL get their stuff there.

The nitrofuel, and it's accessories are readily available. THAT is the real deal, as most Model Airplane flyers don't want the extra hobby of mixing fuel...they want to juice the sucker and go. We all know how to crank up a glowengine, but ( and I AM an "Expert" here) it IS a REALLY different experience for a newbie to get a diesel to start!

Most of the flyers in the local club have absolutely no desire to do any engine research past hanging on their plane whatever monster engine it takes to impress the Sunday crowd.

I'm pretty much a "triple throw-back" in these parts for messing around with "those toy engines", flying planes on strings, AND for fooling with engines that don't even have glowplugs! You should have heard the crap years ago when I was flying a Peck Polymers "Prairie Bird" with a Campus CO2 engine and single channel albin radio by Fritz Meuller!

Good thing I'm a Tough Ole Hillbilly !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  nitroairplane Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:53 pm

Kim wrote:
nitroairplane wrote:Is getting fuel that hard?

Well, and this is just my limited experience, you just don't see the fuel supplied in Hobby Stores---a lot of model flyers STILL get their stuff there.

The nitrofuel, and it's accessories are readily available. THAT is the real deal, as most Model Airplane flyers don't want the extra hobby of mixing fuel...they want to juice the sucker and go. We all know how to crank up a glowengine, but ( and I AM an "Expert" here) it IS a REALLY different experience for a newbie to get a diesel to start!

Most of the flyers in the local club have absolutely no desire to do any engine research past hanging on their plane whatever monster engine it takes to impress the Sunday crowd.

I'm pretty much a "triple throw-back" in these parts for messing around with "those toy engines", flying planes on strings, AND for fooling with engines that don't even have glowplugs! You should have heard the crap years ago when I was flying a Peck Polymers "Prairie Bird" with a Campus CO2 engine and single channel albin radio by Fritz Meuller!

Good thing I'm a Tough Ole Hillbilly !!!!

I hear ya!!!!
I got engines smaller than some guys spinners Smile
but just do what pleases you thats what this hobby is about for me and probably most of you guys as well.
nitroairplane
nitroairplane
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Nov 10, 2011 4:06 pm

Amen There !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down