Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cape Girardeau's Christmas Holiday Float...The Baby Snowbird's Last Installment!!!!! Cox_ba12

Cape Girardeau's Christmas Holiday Float...The Baby Snowbird's Last Installment!!!!! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cape Girardeau's Christmas Holiday Float...The Baby Snowbird's Last Installment!!!!! Empty
Live on Patrol

Cape Girardeau's Christmas Holiday Float...The Baby Snowbird's Last Installment!!!!!

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Cape Girardeau's Christmas Holiday Float...The Baby Snowbird's Last Installment!!!!! Empty Cape Girardeau's Christmas Holiday Float...The Baby Snowbird's Last Installment!!!!!

Post  Kim Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:22 am

My bosses are so funny.  First, they hire a somewhat crazed airplane fanatic as a Lineman, and pray that he doesn't put them in a position of having to explain stuff to the City Fathers...(our airport's FBO is owned and run by the City of Cape Girardeau).  THEN, they REALLY Slap the Dragon on the Butt by asking him to help design the Airport's Entry in the City's Christmas Parade.  Seems they consider me to be somewhat of an " artist", and I while I consider that tag a matter of conjecture, I WILL agree to having an artist's temperament.

So anyway, my Line Chief Derrick (the guy on my left), tells me that we're gonna have an "Official, Preliminary Christmas Float Meeting" (got to love small-town politics!) and I respond, "Fine, I've already prepared a "Power Point Presentation!".  Derrick, knowing that I don't know a thing about doing such stuff, agrees, with that wrinkled-brow expression that I've work so hard to perfect over this past ten years.

So, I arrive at the meeting fashionably late...all the better to increase the impact of my VISION !   Packing my gear to the head of table, I take charge with an intimidating display of Charisma, backed by infallible technology...namely; a Sharpie Pen and the lid from a box of office paper.  A hush falls over the room as the anticipation builds:

The parameters were that it be both a Christmas Float AND a Sneaky Promotion for our upcoming Airshow, featuring the Canadian Snowbirds.  Since the funding is to be taken from our Airshow Budget, Bruce the Airport Manager (the worried-looking dude at the opposite end of the table) wants it done on the cheap.  

So, my first proposal was a simple plywood silhouette of a Tutor on knife-edge, pulling a banner with Christmas Wishes (another condition of my participation...NONE of this "Happy Holiday" B.S.), and some Airshow Info.

To my great and happy surprise, Bruce opted for my Original Pet Project...a somewhat three-dimensional, Caricatured Tutor, balanced on two triangle blocks, allowing the truly three-dimensional pilot to bank the jet left and right as she waves to the crowd.!!!  The "she" will be Katrina, Bruce's "assistant", who has some kind of official title, but who I prefer just to call, "The Girl That Makes All the Airport Stuff Actually Work".

Airport Maintenance Manager Ray, the guy on my right, assembled a list of supplies needed to make our plane fly, with construction slated to begin this next week.  Derrick even volunteered the use of his "Fog Machine" to give the Tutor a smoke trail !!

And so...the deal is on !!!!

As "Supreme Director of Construction", I promised to lead with a firm but gentle hand.  There shall be more photos posted as this History-Making Event unfolds (and I may also snap a few time-spaced photos of Derrick to document his aging process) !!!

Then again, I may ALSO be posting photos of myself, sitting in my lawnchair and sipping soda, as I wait for my unemployment check...actually not a REAL bad alternative...

"Fasten your seatbelts!  Here we go !!!"

Cape Girardeau's Christmas Holiday Float...The Baby Snowbird's Last Installment!!!!! 1_21

Notice the intensity of the moment...somewhat like the photo of Obama's Cronies watching Osama's demise...

Cape Girardeau's Christmas Holiday Float...The Baby Snowbird's Last Installment!!!!! 2_19

Redneck Power Point

Cape Girardeau's Christmas Holiday Float...The Baby Snowbird's Last Installment!!!!! 3_17

Posing with my highly-technical Working Sketch, Tutor Pilot Katrina seems agreeable with her Mission Assignment...

Cape Girardeau's Christmas Holiday Float...The Baby Snowbird's Last Installment!!!!! 4_16

Last edited by Kim on Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:38 am; edited 7 times in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Cape Girardeau's Christmas Holiday Float...The Baby Snowbird's Last Installment!!!!! Empty Re: Cape Girardeau's Christmas Holiday Float...The Baby Snowbird's Last Installment!!!!!

Post  pkrankow Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:04 am

Cool idea.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Cape Girardeau's Christmas Holiday Float...The Baby Snowbird's Last Installment!!!!! Empty Re: Cape Girardeau's Christmas Holiday Float...The Baby Snowbird's Last Installment!!!!!

Post  roddie Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:14 am

Looks like a cool project! Is the plane gonna rock from side to side with "springs" as she leans? It made me think of a platform rocking chair design for the base. (edit) and a rigid "stick" to help balance and "bank" (through a slot, cut in the floor)

Cape Girardeau's Christmas Holiday Float...The Baby Snowbird's Last Installment!!!!! Platfo10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:46 am

LOL --- this thread should be an interesting story.  Can't wait for the next installment!!!!  I suppose you could title your float, "Santa's New Ride".
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:47 am

roddie wrote:Looks like a cool project! Is the plane gonna rock from side to side with "springs" as she leans? It made me think of a platform rocking chair design for the base. (edit) and a rigid "stick" to help balance and "bank" (through a slot, cut in the floor)

Cape Girardeau's Christmas Holiday Float...The Baby Snowbird's Last Installment!!!!! Platfo10
Actually, it's just the opposite: Katrina's "Pilot's Seat" will be an office chair, secured to the floor of the trailer.

The Tutor will have an open bottom with two bulkheads, notched at their centers, to receive two length-wise wheel chocks that will hold the jet a few inches off the floor. Her Control Stick will be bolted to the plane's frame, and will allow her to gently rock the whole thing side to side.

We're depending on her considerable experience in dealing with politicians to make it look real!

The Tutor will be "Cruising above a Cloud Deck", simulated by some left-over white plastic sheet we used to make a fake "Alignment Runway" for the Blue Angels' show a few years back.

I personally wanted to hire some "Snow Bunnies" from the Local Sports Bar, but looks like I'll have to finance that on my own if it happens.....
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:54 am

andrew wrote:LOL --- this thread should be an interesting story.  Can't wait for the next installment!!!!  I suppose you could title your float, "Santa's New Ride".
Oh, it's gonna be a HOOT !!!  Good thing for my poor buddy Derrick that he doesn't have much hair 'cause...well...it'd be getting pretty shy anyway from this project.

I figure they're semi-terrified that I'll show up at the next Board Meeting with a Classic Folgers Buzz going on!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:34 pm

Yes, I can picture how it works now. I was way over-complicating it.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:53 pm

pretty cool, then again just about everything you do is pretty cool, lol!

what are you gonna build the plane out of?
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:27 pm

Kim wrote:pulling a banner with Christmas Wishes (another condition of my participation...NONE of this "Happy Holiday" B.S.),
cheers THANK YOU! Clapping 
That's enough with this "Happy Holidays" crap.

I'll be keeping watch for the next update, this is going to be great!

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:01 am

Mark Boesen wrote:pretty cool, then again just about everything you do is pretty cool, lol!

what are you gonna build the plane out of?
Thanks Mark ! I DO manage to have a good time (most of the time!) with the silliness that seems to barrel down on me!  

The plane, (at this point) will be built basically from 3/4" and a bit of 1' ply, and other odds and ends I'll make up as we go along.  I forgot to mention that they may also want to display the Tutor in our County Park Drive, where people can drive a big loop, looking at lighted displays from various Churches, Businesses, and Groups.  

So, the Tutor has to be a little more weather-resistant than the foam and cardboard One-Show-Pony  I'd originally envisioned.   I'm loading up my old roll-around so I can pack my own tools to the airport...I HATE borrowing or scavenger-hunting "Implements of Destruction" when I'm rolling on a project, and our airport gear seems to travel far and wide.

Ray's gonna buy us some white house paint, along with a quart or two of blue for a trim stripe, to go with the red paint we have left over from paining runway designator and TSA boxes out on the pavement.  We even got left over "sparkles"...reflective glass beads that get chucked on the paint while it's still wet !

The FIRST priority is to get around to printing some images of the Tutor to get it stamped in my brain.  My mind keeps changing it to a T-37 Tweet, though I doubt it'd matter to most viewing the thing.  Even in caricature, it's got to be reasonable close to shut-up my "Inner Nerd".

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cheers THANK YOU! Clapping
That's enough with this "Happy Holidays" crap.

I'll be keeping watch for the next update, this is going to be great!

Yeah Jacob!  Bruce agreed awfully easy to this condition...and triggered some suspicion on my part by doing so.  Two marriages, their attendant divorces, and 25 years with a politically squishy corporation have taught me to listen for dodges.  Bruce is a good guy, but he's STILL a politician, and so his MAIN job is KEEPING his job.  

SO...unless I get some direct assurance that it's gonna include "Merry Christmas"...I'm gonna make up my own banners (and may do so anyway) and bolt them to the thing myself when we assemble it downtown.

Bruce will have "Plausible Deniabilty" in pointing out, "Hey, he's a cranky old guy, but I had NO idea he'd do this!"

Ah, the dangers of associating with an Eccentric !!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:15 am

Try  plywood wood frames with 1x2 stringers covered with 1/2 inch insulation board or fan fold foam board.  You can bend insulation board carefully quite a bit with some assistance of a couple heat guns.  

You can also cover in that tyvek house wrap and paint.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:21 am

Should be a challenging project Kim. Best get busy!!!!!
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:14 am

pkrankow wrote:Try  plywood wood frames with 1x2 stringers covered with 1/2 inch insulation board or fan fold foam board.  You can bend insulation board carefully quite a bit with some assistance of a couple heat guns.  

Phil
I like Phil's suggestion... another option for the "stringers" would be to use lattice. It's cheap, thin and pliable enough to bend around gentle curves and could be "stapled" on. A super cool covering option would be the white "heat shrink" wrap that they use to store boats with for the winter... any marina should have it. Stick it to the framework with double-sided tape and shrink it with a heat gun. You wouldn't have to use ANY paint. Trim stripes could be adhered to this using red/blue colored tape. Spray it with tacky-glue afterward, for the glass beads.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:15 am

roddie wrote:
pkrankow wrote:Try  plywood wood frames with 1x2 stringers covered with 1/2 inch insulation board or fan fold foam board.  You can bend insulation board carefully quite a bit with some assistance of a couple heat guns.  

Phil
I like Phil's suggestion... another option for the "stringers" would be to use lattice. It's cheap, thin and pliable enough to bend around gentle curves and could be "stapled" on.  A super cool covering option would be the white "heat shrink" wrap that they use to store boats with for the winter... any marina should have it. Stick it to the framework with double-sided tape and shrink it with a heat gun. You wouldn't have to use ANY paint. Trim stripes could be adhered to this using red/blue colored tape. Spray it with tacky-glue afterward, for the glass beads.
Dr. Shrink is the leading manufacturer of shrink film used for boats and industry.
http://dr-shrink.com/

Westmarine carries the full line (I used to work there) and it probably is available through other sources.  The stuff ain't cheap though. (cost effective, high quality, useful...)

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:47 am

pkrankow wrote:
roddie wrote:

Phil
I like Phil's suggestion... another option for the "stringers" would be to use lattice. It's cheap, thin and pliable enough to bend around gentle curves and could be "stapled" on.  A super cool covering option would be the white "heat shrink" wrap that they use to store boats with for the winter... any marina should have it. Stick it to the framework with double-sided tape and shrink it with a heat gun. You wouldn't have to use ANY paint. Trim stripes could be adhered to this using red/blue colored tape. Spray it with tacky-glue afterward, for the glass beads.
Dr. Shrink is the leading manufacturer of shrink film used for boats and industry.
http://dr-shrink.com/

Westmarine carries the full line (I used to work there) and it probably is available through other sources.  The stuff ain't cheap though. (cost effective, high quality, useful...)

Phil
The boat-wrap would produce a realistic skin. Maybe the airport could cut a deal with a local marina, for the exchange of equal value, in Av-gas... it could be a tax write-off for both parties... Hand Shake
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:41 am

The Snowbird/Tutor project is progressing nicely, in spite of a few diversions.  Paint will probably start slinging tomorrow.  We have a week to go, so the timeline pretty much matches all my other endeavors.

I had to get the basic frame figured out, and was getting WAY too much advice in my hangar workshop, so I loaded the Tutor into the Assault Trailer and got the initial stuff going at the Skunk Works.  Now that the physical side is almost done (gonna make a nose cone today), the rest of the crew will be welcome to paint and festoon the little plane as they see fit.

Cape Girardeau's Christmas Holiday Float...The Baby Snowbird's Last Installment!!!!! 1_012

Cape Girardeau's Christmas Holiday Float...The Baby Snowbird's Last Installment!!!!! 3_26

Cape Girardeau's Christmas Holiday Float...The Baby Snowbird's Last Installment!!!!! Dsc00415

Cape Girardeau's Christmas Holiday Float...The Baby Snowbird's Last Installment!!!!! Dsc00416

Cape Girardeau's Christmas Holiday Float...The Baby Snowbird's Last Installment!!!!! Dsc00417

Cape Girardeau's Christmas Holiday Float...The Baby Snowbird's Last Installment!!!!! Dsc00418

Afterburner fitted....

Cape Girardeau's Christmas Holiday Float...The Baby Snowbird's Last Installment!!!!! Sam_0614

Back to the airport !

Cape Girardeau's Christmas Holiday Float...The Baby Snowbird's Last Installment!!!!! Sam_0615

Cape Girardeau's Christmas Holiday Float...The Baby Snowbird's Last Installment!!!!! Sam_0616

Cape Girardeau's Christmas Holiday Float...The Baby Snowbird's Last Installment!!!!! Sam_0617

Got to cover the legal end too...

Cape Girardeau's Christmas Holiday Float...The Baby Snowbird's Last Installment!!!!! Captur10

Cape Girardeau's Christmas Holiday Float...The Baby Snowbird's Last Installment!!!!! Sam_0618

Captain Ron, Cape Air Pilot and Certified Canadian, gives his thumbs-up approval to the accuracy of the project.

Cape Girardeau's Christmas Holiday Float...The Baby Snowbird's Last Installment!!!!! Sam_0619

Being somewhat of a skeptic, I required Captain Ron to produce his passport...you can never be too careful in the Aviation Business.

Cape Girardeau's Christmas Holiday Float...The Baby Snowbird's Last Installment!!!!! Sam_0620

Stay Tuned....
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Nov 21, 2013 6:59 am

lol!  Where's the nozzle? Huh...  no doubt it's at the skunkworks... undergoing top-secret preliminary testing...
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:17 am

It's receiving it's heat-resistant coating !! This project was one of the quieter deals for the Skunk Works...giving the yuppies in yonder subdivision a brief respite from the usual engine running, gunfire, and occasional explosions....
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  duke.johnson Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:51 am

Yuppiesssss!@&!%$(&^(

What's worse yuppies or zobbies? We'll find out if the world comes to an end!lol!

BTW. the plane looks great!
duke.johnson
duke.johnson
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:31 am

LOOKIN GOOD!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Thu Nov 21, 2013 12:54 pm

it looks like you installed a 'black box' in front of cockpit, good call you never know what might happen to it.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:33 pm

Got the nose built and planked and "Spars" installed.  We WERE gonna use the snoot from a Beech Baron, but I had plenty of ply, and was slightly fearful of the compound curves clashing with my otherwise squarish fuselage!

And so...the Squareness continues......

Cape Girardeau's Christmas Holiday Float...The Baby Snowbird's Last Installment!!!!! Sam_0621

The turltedeck gets installed tomorrow, and after some quick sanding, the painting will begin !!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:20 pm

Fine looking! You are going to end up with that as a permanent display somewhere with how nice and stout it is looking so far

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:43 pm

Thanks Phil!

I think I forgot to mention that they're wanting to use the plane to represent the airport in the Outdoor display at our County Park. It's a loop, about a half-mile around, with spaces for organizations and businesses to decorate.

This IS gonna be a robust "Float", and we've already talked about painting it another color for next year's parade. I figure that if I drooped the wings a bit, it'd make a fine Starfighter !!!

Anyway PAINTING starts tomorrow !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Nov 21, 2013 2:53 pm

Hey Kim, be sure to leave room for the bellcrank and the riding mower engine.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next