Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Rust-O-Leum clearcoats (plural) Cox_ba12

Rust-O-Leum clearcoats (plural) Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by Gordinir8 Today at 9:04 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Rust-O-Leum clearcoats (plural) Empty
Live on Patrol

Rust-O-Leum clearcoats (plural)

Go down

Rust-O-Leum clearcoats (plural) Empty Rust-O-Leum clearcoats (plural)

Post  roddie Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:37 am

Not to "beat a dead horse"... While shopping at a "Home Depot" recently; I was in the paint department to see what was available in aerosols. (TF clear Lustrekote was recommended by several of you.. but the nearest hobby shop to me, is an hour+ away...)

Home Depot stocks 3 different clear-coat finishes by Rust-O-Leum... 1st being their regular clear-coat (probably the one that fails as far as being fuel-proof?) 2nd is a clear "Lacquer"... and 3rd is an "Automotive" clear-coat... which I bought a can of to test. I would "think" that these 3 coatings would all have different properties.

Have any of you tried the Rust-O-Leum's automotive clear-coat or their clear Lacquer? It would be nice to find an alternative to TF's Lustrekote if I could.

Thanks,
Roddie
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Rust-O-Leum clearcoats (plural) Empty Re: Rust-O-Leum clearcoats (plural)

Post  SuperDave Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:47 am

Roddie:

Duh?

An hour's drive to a hobby shop is more expensive and time-consuming than paying postage.   Laughing 

SD
SuperDave
SuperDave
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:08 pm

Rustoleum paints are essentially enamel aside from those indicating lacquer. The auto paint is also listed as mineral spirit cleanup leading me to believe once again enamel base. I for one just don't understand all the experimentation. Why not use what works? Although most are building 1/2A's, high class finishes can be easily attained just by using what is formulated for the hobby. Many of the speed fliers due to high nitro use http://www.klasskote.com/. While some may feel this is very expensive, when compared to traditional dope finishes it really is about the same. WIth practice, I've seen these finishes equal in weight. A little goes a long way. Unlike rattle can finishes which are constantly changing formulation and vehicle components which deliver it out the can, products like Klasskote are consistent. As for sprayers, I've seen this product sprayed with professional like results from a $5 Preval spray bottle from Home Depot.

Another option is this http://www.kbs-coatings.com/DiamondFinish-Clear.html  Look under clear coats and also it's compatibility with other products. While most will cringe at the price, you get what you pay for. These products take out the guess work. I for one don't want to find out how my finish is now sticky and oil is creeping under it. I've been there. I've experimented with just about every product out there for the past 35 years. While I found many to be favorable, many have been removed from production or just went out of business. K&B Superpoxy was one of my favs. Nothing gave you the durability , shine, chip resistance as that paint. I feel Klasskote products even exceed the old Superpoxy.

The KBS products will work virtually over any paint system. I've seen it used but you must not be heavy handed. I've seen it applied with a spongebrush with excellent results. Although out of the price range of most, a little goes a long way and so will the duration of your models. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:00 pm

Thank you guys. I'm going to return the product I bought... and go with something tried and true. Either way.. it seems that several very light mist coats when applying "any" clear-coat spray, is the way to go. Should any GLOSS base and trim colors be sanded beforehand for proper adhesion? Is it better to use "flat" base/trim colors; if they're going to be gloss clear-coated anyway?

Ken, I read about the water-based coatings that you had been using from Nelson Hobby... Have you ordered any from the new owner (John Desilets) yet?

Thanks again.. very much,
Roddie
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:30 pm

The last time I spoke with John, he was moving back to where he recently lived. I believe he said his wife just didn't enjoy where they were located and he returned back. We exchanged several e-mails and while the website wasn't directly working he informed me that he could supply me with what I desired. Here's the link to the site again http://www.nelsonhobby.com/hobby_paint.php I've used this paint extensively and I really learned how to use it quite well. For those interested, it takes a lot of practice and it's not very forgiving in terms of correcting runs. This paint is very unique and it achieves it depth by layering. It essentially goes on like water colors do on paper. Little by little usually by the 5-6 coat it really pops out. These coats are applied within minutes of each other.

Jerry Nelson the former owner had mentioned the use of Zinser 123 as a initial primer for the Nelson water based poly. He said the r/c crowd was very favorable of using that product. Nelson does provide a water based epoxy primer which I've used with excellent results . It sands beautifully. However, I prefer a nitrate base coat of clear then go switch to poly. The Nelson poly paints don't work with butyrate dopes and will shed off if butyrate clear is used as a base coat. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  statorvane Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:38 am

2nd is a clear "Lacquer"

Well, I think I am going to stick with Butyrate dope - probably Sig for my modeling.

I have used Rustoleum clear lacquer in finishing a guitar neck - once. It did not go well, and I wound up sanding back to the previous nitro clear lacuqer. I typically wet sand with mineral spirits as a lubricant and it really softened up the Rustoleum, while leaving the nitro base below undisturbed. Apparently it is acrylic lacquer - definitely not nitro. I had similar problems with DupliColor clear lacquer (again acrylic), and their clear coat rattle can sprays - it remained sticky.

The Rustoleum clear is junk IMHO.

I think bytyrate dope should work fine and isn't any more expensive than the Rustoleum or other automotve products. Just a pain it isn't avaliable locally anymore (here at least).
statorvane
statorvane
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:30 am

One of my LHS had Aerogloss 65-4 hot fuelproof dope on the shelf last week. I didn't buy it at the time, but looked it up to find out if it was butyrate. He didn't know, he's not a modeler. Rolling Eyes I couldn't search out an answer, can y'all tell me if it is? The ingredients listed MEK.

He had no thinner, so if I get a bottle, can I use any of my shop solvents to thin it, or even use it full strength? If it is butyrate, I was thinking of using it as a topcoat instead of Lustrekote. When I build my Skyray I'm going to paint with a Preval sprayer. For the Yak I already have rattlecan paint.

Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:33 am

RknRusty wrote:One of my LHS had Aerogloss 65-4 hot fuelproof dope on the shelf last week. I didn't buy it at the time, but looked it up to find out if it was butyrate. He didn't know, he's not a modeler. Rolling Eyes I couldn't search out an answer, can y'all tell me if it is? The ingredients listed MEK.

He had no thinner, so if I get a bottle, can I use any of my shop solvents to thin it, or even use it full strength? If it is butyrate, I was thinking of using it as a topcoat instead of Lustrekote. When I build my Skyray I'm going to paint with a Preval sprayer. For the Yak I already have rattlecan paint.

Rusty
Rusty,
I thin aero gloss with acetone and have never had a problem.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down