Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Skycopter .020 Cox_ba12

Skycopter .020 Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 6:22 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by dan vincent Today at 6:15 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Today at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Skycopter .020 Empty
Live on Patrol

Skycopter .020

Go down

Help! Skycopter .020

Post  scigs30 Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:25 pm

I recently acquired about 20-30cox engines and parts. I have six .020 Skycopter engines with yellow backing and tank. I would like to put them on Guillows planes. What do I have to do to turn them into freeflight engines?
scigs30
scigs30
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Help! Re: Skycopter .020

Post  roddie Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:17 am

scigs30 wrote:I recently acquired about 20-30cox engines and parts. I have six .020 Skycopter engines with yellow backing and tank. I would like to put them on Guillows planes. What do I have to do to turn them into freeflight  engines?

Which Guillows planes are you considering powering with the Pee Wee .020? I'm assuming when you say "free-flight".. that you mean "no radio". Most Guillows models are designed primarily for rubber-band ("free-flight") power.. but some can be converted for engines/elec. motors. See Guillows link below for the 300 series models. If you select one and move your cursor over the box artwork.. most will state "instructions" for gas/electric power. This series is relatively inexpensive and includes several 24" wingspan "high-wing" models.. which is probably your best bet. The instructions should tell you how to achieve the proper balance.. which will be CRITICAL! You will need to reinforce certain areas for the added torque and weight of a glow engine... as well as painting/sealing the model with a fuel-proof finish to protect it. Again; the instructions should mention these things.  

http://www.guillow.com/300Series.aspx

The Cox Pee Wee .020's off the skycopter models that you have, should work fine if you can connect a very small external fuel tank.. for example; a vertically mounted eye-dropper tube with a very small amount of fuel in it... with a fuel line attached to it's bottom leading to the engine with a gravity-flow. Test-run the engine to see how long it runs on the amount of fuel in your tank before you fly it. Even 10 seconds can seem like an eternity after it becomes airborne and you no longer have control over it. You can always hold onto it and wait to release it when there's just a few seconds of fuel left in the tank.

You'll want the model to climb in a circle when you release it.. and have a VERY LARGE obstruction-free area to fly it... on a calm day. It's better to have a few short (low-fuel) uneventful flights at first... until you get used to the models flying habits.

Here's a photo I found that shows a skycopter engine mounted to a block of wood for a test stand.

Skycopter .020 Cox_sk10
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down