Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Ringmaster Jr. Build. Cox_ba12

Ringmaster Jr. Build. Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Today at 6:59 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 6:57 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 5:44 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Ringmaster Jr. Build. Empty
Live on Patrol

Ringmaster Jr. Build.

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Shocked Ringmaster Jr. Build.

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:23 am

Another hotel job!

I am in Idaho and believe it or not the LHS carries Brodak items so I decided to buy a Ringy Jr. And build something to fly here.

I started last night and here is where I am at. The wing was started around 5:30 mountain time this evening and is probably the quickest wing build I have ever done. Thanks to laser cutting and good wood it's actually straight too.

Power will be a Fox .15 although it's coming out nose heavy so I may go to a Cox TD .09 when I get home.

Shipping should be fun!

Ron

Ringmaster Jr. Build. A95HSnp

Ringmaster Jr. Build. RUpr8id

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Shocked Re: Ringmaster Jr. Build.

Post  Theo Kleynhans Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:57 am

That is impressive Ron.

How do you build all that in one evening?

How did you align and glue the ribs to the leading and trailing edge without using a jig? Please give me some pointers.

Theo
Theo Kleynhans
Theo Kleynhans
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:07 am

Theo Kleynhans wrote:That is impressive Ron.

How do you build all that in one evening?

How did you align and glue the ribs to the leading and trailing edge without using a jig? Please give me some pointers.

Theo

Theo,

The wing you see uses three different types of adhesive. 30 min Epoxy, SigMent and thin CA

Epoxy was used for the bellcrank mount, leading edge splice and joiner. CA on the ribs and SigMent for the sheeting and wing tips.

I was lucky in that all my wood was arrow straight so that makes it really easy to build a straight wing without a jig. I am pretty good at sighting along the LE/TE for straightness and don't do any final glue work until I am sure it is straight.

So no real tips, but as far as the speed os concerned, I had zero distractions.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:13 am

Do the ribs have removeable prop tabs to hold them level like my Skyray kit? No need for a jig on that either. Looks good. I'm wanting a Junior size plane too.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:56 am

You Dog you  lol! Man that's putting the pedal to the medal in building . Nice looking Build Ron Cool
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:30 pm

RknRusty wrote:Do the ribs have removeable prop tabs to hold them level like my Skyray kit? No need for a jig on that either. Looks good. I'm wanting a Junior size plane too.
Rusty

No, I was hoping they did. A lot of TLAR going on, but sighting down the LE and TE it looks near perfect.

They didn't provide tip weight in the kit, so I am going to have to figure that out. I thought maybe it was a mistake, but it's not on the parts list either.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:58 pm

RknRusty wrote: I'm wanting a Junior size plane too.
Rusty
Rusty,
The Sig Akromaster is only $28 through  the sig website, I just ordered  2 to have on hand. I don't know if I will build two .15 size planes or one .46 sized bipe.

Ron,
Nice build! I'm jealous, I just got back from idaho last night . I wish I could stay a month. Are you doing any fishing while you 're there?

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:44 pm

Thanks Jim,

No fishing here. It's all business. Not sure what is was like where you were, but it's high desert here. Not one lake around.

Here is day 3 progress.

Ringmaster Jr. Build. PGnJMtJ

Ringmaster Jr. Build. 1TvRoCL
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:07 am

Man! Awesome build! I never had anything like THAT when I was traveling for work. Great job on the build.

The Envious Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:25 am

Very nice, Ron. I don't how you do it. Do you have a big enough suitcase to take it home?

lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:35 am

A quick build and it looks like neat work. That is the stage I get to and then ............ stall on finishing.

I am looking more and more at profile planes with a view to electrifying but trying to do it neatly so that it doesn't look "lashed" together.

Covering and painting seems to drag on for me.

I will be starting the bigger Ringmaster soon but it will be electrickery.
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:55 am

ian1954 wrote:A quick build and it looks like neat work. That is the stage I get to and then ............ stall on finishing.

I am looking more and more at profile planes with a view to electrifying but trying to do it neatly so that it doesn't look "lashed" together.

Ian I'm glad your distaste for profiles is reforming. I agree, their appearance leaves something to be desired but they fill a need to get good quality planes off the table and in the air. And they're such versatile platforms for experimenting and learning.

And yea I get bogged in the details too.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:15 am

RknRusty wrote:
ian1954 wrote:A quick build and it looks like neat work. That is the stage I get to and then ............ stall on finishing.

Ian I'm glad your distaste for profiles is reforming. I agree, their appearance leaves something to be desired  but they fill a need to get good quality planes off the table and in the air. And they're such versatile platforms for experimenting and learning.

And yea I get bogged in the details too.
Rusty

I have to say that I am anti-the purely slab sided but I watched some snippets of one Windy was building. Can't find the original video that this was extracted from but

Windy Using Aeropoxy Light: https://youtu.be/HE4p_5kMXeg

There is profile and profile! Surprising what a bit of balsa, plywood, aeropoxy and "profiling a profile" can do. It starts some way into the video.

Ringmaster Jr. Build. Windyp10
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:27 am

Cribbs74 wrote:Thanks Jim, No fishing here. It's all business. Not sure what is was like where you were, but it's high desert here. Not one lake around. Here is day 3 progress.

Ringmaster Jr. Build. PGnJMtJ

Ringmaster Jr. Build. 1TvRoCL
Jim, progress looks good and yup, she is shaping up to be a Ringmaster Jr. Seems your missing a wing spar though. Mine has a spar through those open rectangular holes in your wing ribs.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:44 am

George,

I was wondering when someone would catch that. Yes, no spar or should I say rib ripper. The strength of the wing relies more on that solid leading edge. I removed it to save weight and my ribs if it ever gets plowed in. I don't crack up much these days, but everyone does once and a while I suppose. Once covered it will be a strong wing still.

Do you still have the Enya on yours?

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:06 am

I left the Rib Ripper out of the Sterling Yak-9 too. Similar wing, same reason, to hopefully spare added misery if I ever crash it. Most of the guys at Stuka would object, but the Yak has an incredibly strong wing without it. It's a nice strong stick too, I'm not sure if it's spruce or what. It helps that the rest of it is made of baseball bat wood.

Speaking of Stuka, I promised long ago to post when I finished and flew it. I don't recall if I ever did. Better send them the video. I think I'm gonna put one o' them Ring Jr. kits on my Christmas list too. After flying the crap out of the Yak I'm kind of excited about those old designs.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:08 pm

Rusty,

A Jr. flightstreak would be a fun one. I like the Jr Nobler too.

I wasn't able to do anything this evening as I need some finishing supplies and was unable to make the LHS after work.

Tomorrow and Sunday I will be back at it.

I have wanted to build a Jr. Ring for a while as it has subtle features that set it apart from the S-1.

I sure hope this thing starts to get a little more tail heavy as I finish. I chose the Fox as it's the lightest I could think of. I have a .15 schneurle that I would have loved to use, but it's heavier. The Cox .09 will probably be a perfect fit however, I am not sure how well it will draw fuel. I am pretty sure fine thread .09 needles don't exist. I have an .09 Medallion though....

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:51 pm

With the backplate pressure tap I think you can use the stock needle. I've heard the TD 09 is a great fit for a Jr. Streak. I don't know, I'm tossing ideas around including the Ring, Streak and my profile Hyper Viper clone. I have a TD 09 and a Thunder Tiger 15 so I can do two juniors. What do they fly on, 50' or so lines? I'll ask my old Florida buddy Fit90 Bob about tapping the 09. He gave me the one I have. 66Malibu Steve gave me the TT 15 brand new.

I must be the only CL modeler in existence that doesn't feel the love when looking at a nobler. I'm weird. Wayne wants to give me one with a B-40 in it.

The Ring is new on my list of wants but I could go full size for that. I'd want to put a Fox 35 on it if I built it. I have an Enya 35 and an OS 35-S that I don't know much about, but have the notes Ken gave me on them. But I like your thinking about a Ring needing to be a Fox powered plane
The idea juggling Rusty.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  batjac Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:09 am

RknRusty wrote:
I must be the only CL modeler in existence that doesn't feel the love when looking at a nobler. I'm weird. Wayne wants to give me one with a B-40 in it.

Rusty, you're not alone. There's just something about the Nobler's lines that turns me off. So I guess we're both weird.

The Eccentric Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:27 am

Ron, the Tee Dee .09 is somewhat funny. It will run on suction with no problems however my statement about funny is in regards to weight. I feel it would work on the laser cut version you have. I have a plane here that utilizes the .09 with a slight and I mean slight difference in wingspan than the JR Ring. Seeing that the Fox is already in the bearer width, would a Tee Dee .09 drop in or would it be too wide? Fly it on .012's. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:44 am

batjac wrote:
RknRusty wrote:

Rusty, you're not alone.  There's just something about the Nobler's lines that turns me off.  So I guess we're both weird.

The Eccentric Mark

Ringmaster Jr. Build. Stopth10
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:45 am

ian1954 wrote:
batjac wrote:
RknRusty wrote:

Rusty, you're not alone.  There's just something about the Nobler's lines that turns me off.  So I guess we're both weird.

The Eccentric Mark

Ringmaster Jr. Build. Stopth10

Hahaha, so there we have a picture of "Not Weird."

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:47 am

Thanks for reeling us in Mr. Chapman!  lol! 

Ken, You may very well be correct about the bearers, good news about the suction though.

The Nobler would (in my opinion) look a lot better if the cockpit was slid forward and the turtle deck profile was tapered down.

Ron

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:48 am

Not to hijack Ron's build post, but the B-40 is an exceptional engine. Truly one of my favorites and non existent. I don't feel that we may see anymore of them being produced. If one is available to you I highly encourage you to use it. Rusty, you own the MAX-S, the FP.35, the Fp.40. The B-40 was designed to replace the Max-S .35. The B-40 interchanges with the .40 case LA's, The MAx-S. the Fp.35-.40. It's identical in bolt pattern and nose length.  It was a modern engine with a slight bit more power to fly the classic designs. These are made by the same manufacturers that produce the Double Star. The Double Star however essentially had the same footprint as the Fox .35. While the Double Star version was a direct drop in replacement for the Fox .35, it really made the same power thus rendering it not so favorable. Brodak used to sell this engine in a plastic bag. The Brodak .40 however had undergone some changes and many things were taken into consideration.One being AAC construction. A superb design over conventional iron piston engines. Bob Zambelli has the #1 first production Brodak .40 engine and it's still running today. I can't tell you how many flights are on that engine. Everyone in our club has flown that engine several times not to mention the times Bob has used it. Some feel the earlier versions make less power than the newer ones produced. I own a early version and it really is a one flip starting engine. Smooth, extremely light (Weight of a Fox .35) and substantial power over the Fox. I don't use the stock muffler. Ken

Last edited by Ken Cook on Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:05 am

Cribbs74 wrote:George, I was wondering when someone would catch that. Yes, no spar or should I say rib ripper. The strength of the wing relies more on that solid leading edge. I removed it to save weight and my ribs if it ever gets plowed in. I don't crack up much these days, but everyone does once and a while I suppose. Once covered it will be a strong wing still.
Ron, mine is from the original Sterling kit wood (until I crashed it LOL, now has "good quality" balsa in it.)  Laughing  In mine, the leading edge is of fairly soft wood, so spar does add strength. Perhaps in yours, Brodak chose a harder balsa. Regarding splintering wing ribs, when I decided to take out a flight box with it, I ended up making new ribs anyway.  drunken 

Do you still have the Enya on yours? Ron
I put the OS .15FP-S back on it, but am replacing with Fox .15X. The OS FP and Enya III share the same bolt pattern, they are close enough I didn't drill any new holes. I'll probably end up plugging existing with 1/8" dowel and redrilling new for the Fox .15X. I was surprised how strong the Enya .15-III is, had same lap times on a Masters 8x6 prop as I did with the OS .15FP-S with 8x4 prop.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next