Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

A pair of Wen Macs with a Thimble Drome twist Cox_ba12

A pair of Wen Macs with a Thimble Drome twist Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 1:39 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

A pair of Wen Macs with a Thimble Drome twist Empty
Live on Patrol

A pair of Wen Macs with a Thimble Drome twist

Go down

A pair of Wen Macs with a Thimble Drome twist Empty A pair of Wen Macs with a Thimble Drome twist

Post  rsv1cox Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:45 am

After swearing off buying anymore ebay used model engines I back slid and wound up with these, one of which is quite interesting.

A pair of Wen Macs with a Thimble Drome twist Wenboat002_zpsb085d486

I believe it's out of a model boat as there are the remains of a broken propeller on the shafts end. What makes this curious is the rather large brass “flywheel” with serrations that must have been for a starter of some sort. Also there is a blind hole in the shaft that I can’t quite explain. Huh...

The other is a standard Wen Mac .049 but came with a thimble drome finger saver hung on the needle valve. A bonus.

A pair of Wen Macs with a Thimble Drome twist Wenboat003_zps86ae09f4

A pair of Wen Macs with a Thimble Drome twist Wenboat004_zpsd35cd02e

A pair of Wen Macs with a Thimble Drome twist Wenboat008_zpsb3a52240

I have got to do some research to discover just which boat model that engine might of came from.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

A pair of Wen Macs with a Thimble Drome twist Empty Re: A pair of Wen Macs with a Thimble Drome twist

Post  Mark Boesen Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:55 am

The hole is used to tighten prop shaft, they used a piece of string as a pull starter, neat find!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

A pair of Wen Macs with a Thimble Drome twist Empty Re: A pair of Wen Macs with a Thimble Drome twist

Post  rsv1cox Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:12 am

Well I finally found the boat that the long shaft/flywheel engine went to, a Wen Mac Aquamite.  An ebay buy in so so condition but I think both the boat and motor will clean up.  

A pair of Wen Macs with a Thimble Drome twist Aquamite_zps22fa88ca

A pair of Wen Macs with a Thimble Drome twist Aquamitemotor_zps1b5e43aa

We have a large pond behind the house that it will be fun to use it in.  I'm not sure how you tether it but it will be fun learning.  Anyone having one of these offering pointers would be appreciated.

Hmmm, Just noticed a difference between the two motors, one has twin fuel/vent stacks on the fuel tank, the other (in the boat) has only one.  The twin stack possibly an airplane stunt tank?
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:08 pm

Money Toss Good job ,Man what is the string on the NV for ? I don't have a pond , but I have been thinking car go round ..... Wait I Have a Plane Coming Hats Off That boat does look like fun in the summer Eric Fishing
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:00 pm

getback wrote:Money Toss  Good job ,Man what is the string on the NV for ? I don't have a pond , but I have been thinking car go round ..... Wait I Have a Plane Coming Hats Off  That boat does look like fun in the summer  Eric Fishing

I don't know, eagar to find out. Not a pull starter, maybe a tether or mooring line. Huh...
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  gcb Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:29 am

rsv1cox wrote:
getback wrote:Money Toss  Good job ,Man what is the string on the NV for ? I don't have a pond , but I have been thinking car go round ..... Wait I Have a Plane Coming Hats Off  That boat does look like fun in the summer  Eric Fishing

I don't know, eagar to find out.  Not a pull  starter, maybe a tether or mooring line.  Huh...

The owner probably tied the string to the needle so it would not get lost. Before the spring starters were invented we wrapped the string around the lower part of the flywheel and pull-started it with mediocre results. You could also start it by spinning the larger part of the flywheel with your hand (it wasn't easy).

As mentioned, the hole is used to tighten the flywheel and to hold the shaft steady to change the prop.

The biggest problem with mine (back in the early fifties) was once I got it started it was either too lean out of water or too rich in the water...couldn't keep it running (well, I was a kid).

Good luck with yours.

George
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:17 am

[quote="gcb]
Before the spring starters were invented we wrapped the string around the lower part of the flywheel and pull-started it with mediocre results. You could also start it by spinning the larger part of the flywheel with your hand (it wasn't easy).
[/quote]

Maybe a small battery-powered drill could be used as a starter with this? Get a hockey puck, drill a hole in th middle, insert a bolt, tighten with a nut, attach assembly to the drill. Have an assistant hold the boat firmly and use the slowly spinning puck to friction-start the engine by applying it to the bigger brass wheel.

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:29 am

It will be fun to experiment, I don't think these start as easily as Cox .049's though.

Curious, I wonder how this topic got spun off into two threads, one with capitols the other without. I must have screwed up somewhere. Embarassed
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:54 am

The idea for the two large vent tubes was for fuel overflow to exit clear of the plastic model. George is dead on with the string and a quick snap of thumb or finger on flywheel. Also a small kids bike or trike flipped upside down can be used to turn a flywheel.

P.S.
Also, I forgot to mention that thing with the small brass eyelet on the end of the black neoprene rubber fuel line, still has me thinking, I got to find an answer, I've never seen it, but to see two with it makes you wonder and is more then coincidence. I need to call Guy Eves (aka Mr. Wen-Mac) and wish him a Merry Christmas anyway.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:17 pm

Mark Boesen wrote:The idea for the two large vent tubes was for fuel overflow to exit clear of the plastic model. George is dead on with the string and a quick snap of thumb or finger on flywheel. Also a small kids bike or trike flipped upside down can be used to turn a flywheel.

P.S.
Also, I forgot to mention that thing with the small brass eyelet on the end of the black neoprene rubber fuel line, still has me thinking, I got to find an answer, I've never seen it, but to see two with it makes you wonder and is more then coincidence. I need to call Guy Eves (aka Mr. Wen-Mac) and wish him a Merry Christmas anyway.

Third time is a charm Mark. I found this eyelet in my latest...

A pair of Wen Macs with a Thimble Drome twist Aquaboat013_zps8a1287a9

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down