Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Cipolla Junior? Cox_ba12

Cipolla Junior? Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by MauricioB Today at 5:40 pm

» Cox P-51 Bendix Trophy Racer
by Wayne Brown Today at 5:39 pm

» thread measurements
by MauricioB Today at 5:33 pm

» Cox Thompson Trophy Winner
by Jerry Today at 5:20 pm

» COX 010 TeeDee with RC carb, courtesy sosam 117
by rdw777 Today at 3:08 pm

» "Me and Crazy Horse...Our Anniversary"
by fit90 Today at 2:52 pm

» a cheap sport muffler
by robot797 Today at 1:34 pm

» OS 10FSR Carb Needed
by Cougar 429 Today at 1:14 pm

» AP .061 Hornet
by F4D Phantom II Yesterday at 10:01 pm

» dozens of old .049 TeeDee's, Medallions and a few others
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 7:46 pm

» Re-manufactured Enya .06-II for Boats13
by Boats13 Yesterday at 7:32 pm

» TD 09 Ducted Fan
by getback Yesterday at 8:41 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Cipolla Junior? Empty
Live on Patrol

Cipolla Junior?

Go down

Cipolla Junior? Empty Cipolla Junior?

Post  KariFS Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:09 am

I was looking for a kit for a C/L trainer from classified ads here in Finland but came across (among a ton of other stuff) to a Cipolla Junior 1,5cc (.09) glow engine from the '80s, unused. Are these any good? What would be a reasonable price? I had never heard of this brand, but after some googling, it seems to have been a fairly established manufacturer in Italy. The same seller has 2,5cc and 4cc engines too, and a "racing" 1,5cc. I have not seen these "in person", just catalog pictures but they are all unused and still in boxes.

And again, should I leave NIB items for collectors or grab them and fly the heck out of them? Assuming I'll live through my first C/L ventures without throwing up or falling down lol!

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Cipolla Junior? Empty Re: Cipolla Junior?

Post  gcb Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:44 pm

I have one from that time span. It ran well but I do not have much time on it. Not long after I got mine, the design was changed. The newer one has larger fins. I have no idea what other changes were made.
They also had a diesel version. I don't think it did too well but this is from 30 years ago memories and I wasn't really following it.

George

Cipolla Junior? Cipoll10
gcb
gcb
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  navion34 Sat Nov 29, 2014 1:45 am

Hi,
I have one Cipolla 1.5 stunt. This engine runs but sometimes on an hand start launch it could burn outside (pusher propeller configuration) . Not really cool. Meanwhile this engine has a real SPI piston. I never try to optimise the fuel, only basic fuel 20 % oil (castor) and 5 % nitro.
Hope this can help you,
Rémy

(and the Italian lovers knows that Cipolla means onion...)
navion34
navion34
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:53 am

Thanks for the info Smile

Couple of guys in the Finnish model plane forum called them "sipuli", which is the Finnish for "onion". Didn't realize it means that in Italian too Very Happy

Anyway, the guy is asking 40€ each for the 1.5cc Junior and the 2.5cc engine. He also has a 1.5cc racing engine that looks like the Junior but has a yellow-plated cylinder and weighs a few grams less. He asks 60€ for that one. They are not dirt cheap but tempting for me as I am always drawn to the "oddball" stuff. But I'll pass them for now, maybe I'll go for the 1.5cc ones later if he still has them, and maybe haggle the price a little.

Cipolla diesel engines were used successfully in team racing and their car (glow) engines won the world Championship in mid-80s. The info I've received here in Finland varies from the Cipollas being total rip-off to good running, but a little bit fussy engines. I guess it's like owning an old Alfa Romeo. Fun when it works, but not good for everyday transport.

KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:34 pm

I like your Alfa comparison.

As far as NIB engines I share your view. I have a few new vintage engines but rather than use them I will buy a used and quite possibably clapped out example to fly. I try to reason with myself that probably 10's or 100's of thousands were built, but I always lose out on that argument.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:47 pm

I like your Alfa Romeo comparison, too, KariFS. It reminds me of a saying in British motorcycle newsgroups, for those who had Lucas electrics in cars and motorcycles.
They stated, "Lucas created darkness." lol!

At least now you have options, so if things don't work out quite as you expected during your experiments, you can sell the engines.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:37 am

GallopingGhostler wrote:
They stated, "Lucas created darkness." lol!

Yes, I have some experience on Lucas The Prince of Darkness's designs. I used to have a '73 MGB, complete with the original 3-position headlight switch. The positions are:

1. Dim
2. Flickering
3. Off (with a mild scent of hot bakelite)

lol!

Seriously though, I think the electrics of the B were OK for a car of that era, dependable enough when properly sorted (not shorted Wink ). Just like the Cipolla engines probably. But had I kept the B, I definitely would have modernized the electrics with a bigger alternator and relays for the high current systems. And fuses. A lot of fuses.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:35 am

Lucas was definitely known here as the "Prince of Darkness" and sometimes "Lucifer".

However, I remember pre alternator days and the "Dynamo". Motorcycle electrics were always tricky, exposure to the elements and oil but all problems were easy and very cheap to fix.

I look back at the days when we started a bike with a kick start - even with a flat battery (if it had one!) - or "bump" start it, run down the road with it (in gear, clutch out) jump on and let the clutch out. (and the lights still worked but flickered while ticking over at road junctions.

For the car, engage starting handle and crank.

Can't do that now with modern electrickery - dead battery - "Good night Vienna!".
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  navion34 Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:01 am

Oh yes, Lucas is the Prince of Darkness, but in my Ford Anglia Estate and my MG 1100 I still have a dynamo and his control box. 50 years old but still active... Can you do it with a modern car ? Not sure...

navion34
navion34
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:21 am

I've never had many problems with the Lucas stuff. I think the biggest offender was the bullet connectors and corrosion. Especially on the exposed fuel pumps. Actually even the fuel pumps liked to be tickled to work properly.

What I do like about the Lucas bits is they can be taken apart easily and repaired.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down