Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

I can’t believe it’s been 40 years… Cox_ba12

I can’t believe it’s been 40 years… Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by getback Today at 6:20 am

» Project Cox .049 r/c & Citabrian Champion
by getback Today at 6:17 am

» Roddie's flat-bottomed boat..
by Levent Suberk Today at 12:23 am

» Cox powered jet-pump for model Sprint Boat
by roddie Yesterday at 10:25 pm

» Micro Draco Gets to Fly on a Beautiful Morning.
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:15 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 8:06 pm

» Revivng Some Childhood Classics
by crankbndr Yesterday at 7:58 pm

» Hydro-bat by Vic Smeed: engine probs
by GallopingGhostler Yesterday at 5:12 pm

» Fox .35 Modifications
by Onelife Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» Roddie-Rigger.. a 2005 original design
by roddie Yesterday at 3:39 pm

» [solved]most Efficent Glowhead Clip for Norvel Engine
by batjac Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:33 pm

» TD/Medallion .049 fuel draw issues
by Ken Cook Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:18 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

I can’t believe it’s been 40 years… Empty
Live on Patrol

I can’t believe it’s been 40 years…

Go down

I can’t believe it’s been 40 years… Empty I can’t believe it’s been 40 years…

Post  batjac Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:48 am

I was in the dining room a little while ago, wrapping presents, and I was thinking that I had to wrap my son’s stuff first before he got home from work.  Suddenly, I remembered Christmas Eve of 1974.  I had woken up around 10 or 11 PM and went out to the living room and caught my mom wrapping presents.  What was she wrapping?  A Cox rail dragster for me, and a pink #32 Super Sport for my brother.  That was a great Christmas.

The Nostalgic Mark
batjac
batjac
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

I can’t believe it’s been 40 years… Empty Re: I can’t believe it’s been 40 years…

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:09 am

Christmas 40 years ago has a very different memory for Australians.  At dawn on Christmas Day 1974 the Northern Territory city of Darwin was completely obliterated by Cyclone Tracy.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclone_Tracy
Not so happy for so many. Fortunately we were way down south and not directly effected.  
Come to think of it, that's probably about the year I received my Testors P-40 for Christmas.  That was a case of happiness turning to grief, for a number of reasons. Mad

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

I can’t believe it’s been 40 years… Empty Re: I can’t believe it’s been 40 years…

Post  Kim Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:26 am

Shows the range of memories a holiday can hold. Really glad that the cyclone missed you Rod.

Christmas '74 will always belong to a beautiful girl I'd met that Thanksgiving, and who lived almost 400 miles away in Dayton, Ohio.

After Christmas Morning with my family, I loaded my new Harley Sportster and set out to spend 5 days with her. The temps were below freezing, but I was 20 years old and pretty much bullet-proof. Got stopped by an Indiana State Trooper near Richmond just so he could ask me if I knew how cold it was.

I've had a great life.

I can’t believe it’s been 40 years… J_spor10
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:56 am

Motorcycle BRA ! You looked Bullet Proof , Good memories 1976 got married to my first wife Yeah we were something together / had to damn near fight off 2 old boy friends Laughing That lasted about 5 yrs. Getback .
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:44 am

getback wrote:Motorcycle BRA ! You looked Bullet Proof

He still looks bulletproof!!! Very Happy
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:19 am

Thanks...wouldn't want to test it these days though !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:58 am

Kim , I always liked the AMF stripes on those models. I had a Italian made Harley 1975 SX-250 two stroker. Very similar trim on the tank. The case broke and I was never able to find a replacement. No Ebay back then. The bike went with me through 2 moves before I finally gave up on it. It really broke my heart to get rid of that bike. Not a very popular bike with the dealers back in the day. It had a great look to it, one I never forgot. It's quite funny however that parts seem easier to find for it today then it did when I purchased it in 78. Ken
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:16 pm

batjac wrote:I was in the dining room a little while ago, wrapping presents, and I was thinking that I had to wrap my son’s stuff first before he got home from work.  Suddenly, I remembered Christmas Eve of 1974.  I had woken up around 10 or 11 PM and went out to the living room and caught my mom wrapping presents.  What was she wrapping?  A Cox rail dragster for me, and a pink #32 Super Sport for my brother.  That was a great Christmas.

The Nostalgic Mark

Wow, what a coincidence...must have been around 1974 Xmas that my father managed to get me the pink # 32 Super Sport Trainer from an acquaintance of his living in the US...(remember that was Cold War times with us stuck behind the Iron Curtain) boy was I really mesmerized...

I flew the Super Sport on the asphalt-paved basketball court of our high-school until I was prohibited to enter with my plane  for the castor residues left there that later evolved into skid-marks when the team played the next game... bounce

I still have the engine that, for some strange reason, was a combo of a product engine with the white horseshoe backplate and a thin-walled 051 cylinder, without the top fin milled for the wrench.

I once removed the cylinder with the wrench placed in the exhaust port and caused a slight burr there, but managed to deburr it and it is one of my favorite antique pieces that I mounted in some of Bernie's R/C birds. (The critter kept the full compression during this photo session with the piston driven to the TDC to show its groovy groove on its skirt). The NV top was broken and I helped with a silicone tube extension..I have no way to figure out what threads-per-inch this NV is and cannot get a replacement anymore

I can’t believe it’s been 40 years… Myfirs10

Merry Christma to you all on CEF...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:23 pm

balogh wrote:

Merry Christma to you all on CEF...

Same to balogh and all you other CEF'rs !

Merry Christmas !
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:35 pm

That picture reminded me of how nice Christmas tree ornaments these Cox engines would make.

Not a fun Christmas for my son and his wife though. He was shipping his two 65 Mustangs via covered carrier from Denver to me when a sleeping 18 wheeler driver rear ended the trailer and totaled both somewhere near Indianapolis this morning . Years of restoration work destroyed in an instant. A red convertible and this custom fastback that he built himself from scratch.

I can’t believe it’s been 40 years… Marksmustang3_zpsdafa8c33

He had also stuffed the trunks with a bunch of R/C airplanes and engines. Some of which we flew together in years past.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:58 pm

That is some crappy news.

The hardest thing to replace is the fastback. They are not near as common as the soft tops.

Bummer, major bummer.
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:20 pm

That is major bummer, yeah true they can be replaced but the time, love and effort that goes into a muscle car build cannot. Its almost like a piece of your soul goes into part of the build and loosing it can really bum ya out. Sad

Hats off to ya man I feel for ya..
(Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:00 pm

Thanks Guys, Mark was/is the real Mustang deal. Lived the dream.

One of the red soft tops was the other Mustang involved. Ran it every Christmas eve all decked out for years, snow or shine. He sold the other soft top back to the original owner.

I can’t believe it’s been 40 years… MarksMustangs_zps045009a3
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

I can’t believe it’s been 40 years… Empty I cant beleive its been 40 years

Post  craig bernard Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:46 pm

This was the last christmas I received a cox product cox action van with the discs that controled steering. That was as good as radio control to me back then in 1974. I purchased today a cox sureflyer cessna 150 for the wopping price of 15.00 needs good cleaning. Im onown know for:cox buying cox products.
craig bernard
craig bernard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:58 pm

I was 10 months old Dec 25 1974. I probably was fiddling with some Fisher Price goods.

You guys sure had some cool stuff. Pretty brave to take a ride to Dayton on an AMF Kim!

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:26 am

balogh wrote: Wow, what a coincidence...must have been around 1974 Xmas that my father managed to get me the pink # 32 Super Sport Trainer from an acquaintance of his living in the US...(remember that was Cold War times with us stuck behind the Iron Curtain) boy was I really mesmerized...

I flew the Super Sport on the asphalt-paved basketball court of our high-school until I was prohibited to enter with my plane  for the castor residues left there that later evolved into skid-marks when the team played the next game... bounce

I still have the engine that, for some strange reason, was a combo of a product engine with the white horseshoe backplate and a thin-walled 051 cylinder, without the top fin milled for the wrench.

I once removed the cylinder with the wrench placed in the exhaust port and caused a slight burr there, but managed to deburr it and it is one of my favorite antique pieces that I mounted in some of Bernie's R/C birds. (The critter kept the full compression during this photo session with the piston driven to the TDC to show its groovy groove on its skirt). The NV top was broken and I helped with a silicone tube extension..I have no way to figure out what threads-per-inch this NV is and cannot get a replacement anymore

That engine, especially with the story behind it, is definitely "engine of the month" or even "year" material! Life behind the iron curtain was something you need to experience to fully understand it, and an engine or a plane like that back then must have been a lot more than "just an engine". And the engine being a perfect example, still good as new, must have definitely been "good karma".

I was 3 years old in '74, Finland was not behind the curtain so we were OK, not as good financially as Sweden and other "western" countries but not bad. I probably got some Legos or a Matchbox car for Christmas. Legos were my favourite toys, I still build things with my sons every now and then Smile And Legos make nice and accurate jigs for model building too Smile

Merry Christmas to everyone!
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:09 am

In 1974, we were allowed to say "Happy or Merry Christmas" but now it may cause offence. How times change!

So now we say -

Best wishes for an environmentally conscious, socially responsible, low stress, non-addictive, gender neutral, winter solstice holiday, practiced within the most joyous traditions of the religious persuasion of your choice, but with respect for the religious persuasion of others who choose to practice their own religion as well as those who choose not to practice a religion at all.

Additionally,a fiscally successful, personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated recognition of the generally accepted calendar year 2015, but not without due respect for the calendars of choice of other cultures whose contributions have helped make our society great, without regard to the race, creed, color, religious, or sexual preferences of the wishes.

(Disclaimer: This greeting is subject to clarification or withdrawal. It implies no promise by the wisher to actually implement any of the wishes for her/himself or others and no responsibility for any unintended emotional stress these greetings may bring to those not caught up in the holiday spirit.)
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:45 am

KariFS wrote:
balogh wrote: Wow, what a coincidence...must have been around 1974 Xmas that my father managed to get me the pink # 32 Super Sport Trainer from an acquaintance of his living in the US...(remember that was Cold War times with us stuck behind the Iron Curtain) boy was I really mesmerized...

That engine, especially with the story behind it, is definitely "engine of the month" or even "year" material! Life behind the iron curtain was something you need to experience to fully understand it, and an engine or a plane like that back then must have been a lot more than "just an engine". And the engine being a perfect example, still good as new, must have definitely been "good karma".

I was 3 years old in '74, Finland was not behind the curtain so we were OK, not as good financially as Sweden and other "western" countries but not bad. I probably got some Legos or a Matchbox car for Christmas. Legos were my favourite toys, I still build things with my sons every now and then Smile And Legos make nice and accurate jigs for model building too Smile

Merry Christmas to everyone!

Thanks, Kari,

you have hit the nail on its head.For us Eastern European chaps the breeze of freedom in the 60-70-80s, in the shape of rock music, and Western goods - COX included - and a lot of other things meant much more than just to the rest of the world enjoying the consumer society.

For us it was not so obvious that you walk in the hobbyshop on the corner and buy whatever version of a COX engine you wanted to have. Let alone much more generic things like food and tropical fruits.....

So when I look at a COX engine I see much more than just a few grams of steel and aluminum and plastic..I see there the quality of life and freedom that we all were yearning for..

I try to avoid the pitfalls of being too sentimental or biased on this forum, yet I must realize some of my nasty statements against a Russian made Norvel engine, in favor of an American COX might be just the unconscius revival of my resistance against a superpower occuppying our land and depriving us of freedom....

Good that the whole nightmare is over..I know the above may seem childish or at least boring to many of you, so I promise to keep my postings in the domain of technical matters.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:19 am

I can speak only for myself, but we DO wander off the technical comment path on various subjects, and I see nothing wrong with it. Figure that's why Jacob has installed venues here for those thoughts. With only a few exceptions, the exchanges here have been respectful, and sometimes, outright fascinating.

I'm blessed in that I don't have feelings as delicate as cobwebs, and so enjoy other's view points and experiences. Hearing stories like this and others can really put things in perspective, and temper our words and opinions of those with a much different background.
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:01 am

Christmas 74 I was 21 years and about 10 years past my Cox toys. We had just gone through the OPEC oil embargo with gas rationing and long lines at the pump and the country was in recession.
I lost my job and didn't have money for a tree so I waited till the tree sellers abandoned the rejects and took one home. Nixon extended the unemployment checks to 66 weeks from 33 and I collected every one of them, that got me through to my next job.
Ive only taken a few long rides in my life and never near as cold as Kims ride but I love that windscreen on a long ride.
Way to go Kim great photo! (we ride for girls?!!)
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:57 am

This is only about 32 years ago, still have the plane and the Babe Bee engine... Smile

I can’t believe it’s been 40 years… Img_1610

Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down