Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Ultrasonic cleaning of a cox engine Cox_ba12

Ultrasonic cleaning of a cox engine Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 9:29 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by Gordinir8 Today at 9:04 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Ultrasonic cleaning of a cox engine Empty
Live on Patrol

Ultrasonic cleaning of a cox engine

Go down

Ultrasonic cleaning of a cox engine Empty Ultrasonic cleaning of a cox engine

Post  bnitram Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:27 am

Hello everybody and merry christmas,
i get an ultrasonic cleaner at christmas and now i wanted to clean a very dirty TeeDee. Its a EMAG Emmi4 Cleaner with 40W at 42kHz. You can see the engine parts here:
Ultrasonic cleaning of a cox engine 2014-110

First i try to use it with cold water and the included concentrate (EM-080) but after 3 or 4 runs(each 7min) there was no really changed. Then i tried it with hot water and citric acid. Same result. The dirt is realy hard and and will not dissolve.
Do you have any idea why it doesn't work ?
How do you clean your engines in an ultrasonic bath?

With best regards
bnitram
bnitram
bnitram
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Ultrasonic cleaning of a cox engine Empty Re: Ultrasonic cleaning of a cox engine

Post  rsv1cox Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:23 am

The best non solvent cleaner that I have found for use in model engines is warm Simple Green.  But you cannot leave the parts soaking in it over night as it tends to discolor the alloy.  I would try it for about 15 minutes warm in your parts cleaner followed by a good brushing and a warm water rinse.  

Works great for me.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Ultrasonic cleaning of a cox engine Empty Re: Ultrasonic cleaning of a cox engine

Post  P-40 Warhawk Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:32 am

Hi bnitram,when cleaning with my ultrasonic,I first get the water as hot as possible from the faucet,then I take the parts place them in a small ziplock plastic bag.Add denatured alcohol to the bag,enough to cover the parts,and place the bag in the hot water bath.Run for the maximum time ,remove parts,scrub with an old toothbrush and repeat,until clean.You use the same alcohol over again.When cleaned, rinse with fresh alcohol,dry and lubriccate with after run oil.When cleaning castor oil residue,heat and a good solvent are what you need.One nice thing about alcohol is that it can be used indoors and it is relatively safe as long as there, are no open flames.Hope this helps,D
P-40 Warhawk
P-40 Warhawk
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:06 pm

You can place the parts in a glass jar filled with solvent or detergent of your choice, and put the jar in the water in the cleaner. That way you don't need to fill the tub with solvent and also all the crud that comes off the parts will stay in the glass jar, instead of messing up the tub of the cleaner. The glass will let the sonic waves through. Heat also helps, some of the better machines have heating elements, mine does not but it helps if you just fill it with hot water.

Also, the cleaner works kind of like a microwave oven, the more stuff you have in it, the less energy is applied per square inch of surface. So you may need to wash only 1 or 2 parts at a time.

Hope this helps. I have a cheap cleaner, got it on sale at Lidl Smile, not very powerful, and so far I've only cleaned some jewellery, steel wristwatch bands etc. in it.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Ultrasonic cleaning of a cox engine Empty Cleaning ultrasounds

Post  jmcalata Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:40 pm

I´ve also a domestic ultrasonic cleaner machine and don´t clean nothing. Sad

The best way to clean, is hot air and brush with metanol. Cool
jmcalata
jmcalata
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://aeroguada.com

Back to top Go down

Ultrasonic cleaning of a cox engine Empty RE:Ultrasonic cleaning of a cox engine

Post  rat9000 Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:22 pm

bnitram wrote:Hello everybody and merry christmas,
i get an ultrasonic cleaner at christmas and now i wanted to clean a very dirty TeeDee. Its a EMAG Emmi4 Cleaner with 40W at 42kHz. You can see the engine parts here:

First i try to use it with cold water and the included concentrate (EM-080) but after 3 or 4 runs(each 7min) there was no really changed. Then i tried it with hot water and citric acid. Same result. The dirt is realy hard and and will not dissolve.
Do you have any idea why it doesn't work ?
How do you clean your engines in an ultrasonic bath?

With best regards
bnitram
bnitram,one thing I've done with parts like that (after trying sonic cleaner) is to put parts in a Ziploc bag,get a good spraycan of carb. cleaner,spray bag full of cleaner and let set,it worked well for me.Also search threads here,theres a lot of good info on it.rat
rat9000
rat9000
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  dckrsn Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:09 pm

KariFS wrote:You can place the parts in a glass jar filled with solvent or detergent of your choice, and put the jar in the water in the cleaner. That way you don't need to fill the tub with solvent and also all the crud that comes off the parts will stay in the glass jar, instead of messing up the tub of the cleaner. The glass will let the sonic waves through. Heat also helps, some of the better machines have heating elements, mine does not but it helps if you just fill it with hot water.
Ultrasonic cleaning of a cox engine Babebe10
That's exactly how I do it Kari.
Bob
dckrsn
dckrsn
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:43 am

bnitram wrote:Hello everybody and merry christmas,

First i try to use it with cold water and the included concentrate (EM-080) but after 3 or 4 runs(each 7min) there was no really ..........With best regards
bnitram

Not wanting to change the topic here, but when assembling the TeeDee do not put the silencer on it. TeeDee-s with sub-piston induction do not collaborate well with exhaust mufflers. Otherwise I see this is an old-stock 051 with stepped, thin wall cylinder. You have a chance to get a terrific runner from this heap of components put together.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  bnitram Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:31 am

Thanks for all the good ideas. I think i will test it with the glas in the cleaner. I will report on the results. If it doesn't work i will test another method.

@balogh
of course. You are right but the muffler was on the engine and i want too clean it too. After cleaning the muffler comes on another engine.

bnitram
bnitram
bnitram
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  WingingIt74 Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:55 pm

I had been wondering if this would work also... I guess not really well... I'll just keep cleaning them up with fuel.
WingingIt74
WingingIt74
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/wingingit74/

Back to top Go down

Post  jsesere Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:18 pm

I have tried every trick that has come along since the beginning of time and still the old fashioned toothbrush with 25% fuel works the best. Heat is the trick for softening up really stuck parts. Tim Wiltsey posted years ago about boiling parts in water with a couple of drops of automatic dishwasher detergent added. These methods are all I use now.
jsesere
jsesere
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:33 am

If you own the engine and run it regularly the best thing to do is not letting it sit in fuel residue.

I do not remove my engines from my planes between flying sessions but clean them mounted. This is somehow part of the flying ritual and gives you a good feeling that the engine serving you is also taken care of by you cleaning and oiling it after the flight is over.

Small cavities and corners difficult to reach are cleaned with earbuds. 2 drops of after run oil then shroud the plane nose with a plastic bag...
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down