Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Reed Speed 2014 Results! Cox_ba12

Reed Speed 2014 Results! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Boats13 Today at 10:19 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by Yabby Today at 7:47 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Reed Speed 2014 Results! Empty
Live on Patrol

Reed Speed 2014 Results!

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Reed Speed 2014 Results! Empty Reed Speed 2014 Results!

Post  JPvelo Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:14 pm

Thank you everyone for participating, either as competitors or prize donators. Or in the case of Eric both! We had five competitors enter six models, and five prize packages donated. I am going to raffle off the prize packages Wednesday, making sure Eric doesn't win the Pee Wee he donated.

Times of the two judges were averaged to come up with an official time for ten laps (1/2 mile). Speeds were calculated on 13.106 meter (43') lines on this calculator:

http://www.flycl.co.uk/control_line_speed_calculator.htm

Without further ado, the results are in:

In sixth place, we have Eric and the XP-40Q with a time of 40.74 seconds and a speed of
45.19mph.Reed Speed 2014 Results! VvQIHKj
The actual flight starts around 6:20

https://youtu.be/eBFJUJy-9BQ

In fifth place, Rusty and his mustang with a time of 34.29 for a speed of 53.69mph.
Reed Speed 2014 Results! G1Ojlw0

https://youtu.be/bxMBrStGVLY

Fourth place goes to South Africa's Theo Kleynhans and the Nemesis. Time was 33.73 for a speed of 54.58mph.
Reed Speed 2014 Results! S1zdNsW

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HuGawYu5SI

In third, England's Ian with the Spitfire "Rocking Donkey". Powered by a Thermal Hopper and proxy flown by Ron Cribbs to a time of 33.3 for 55.29mph.
Reed Speed 2014 Results! 7NILMCo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti1XQfj9_Sg&sns=em

Second place goes to Jim Roselle and the Space Hopper  powered Air Tractor gunship. A time of 30.29 makes for  60.78mph.
Reed Speed 2014 Results! KPdX6yQ

https://youtu.be/nVnhjj113bI

And in first place at 26.99 and a speed of 68.22mph, it's Jim Roselle and the Staggerwing Beechcraft.
Reed Speed 2014 Results! 5l4iEtk

https://youtu.be/81lpgKIvKWA

Congratulations to all who participated and made this another great event! There are several models that have been built for the contest and not yet flown, let's get them in the air this year! Stay tuned for Cox Profile Scale Speed 2015 rules!

Last edited by JPvelo on Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:36 am; edited 2 times in total
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Reed Speed 2014 Results! Empty Re: Reed Speed 2014 Results!

Post  Mark Boesen Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:38 pm

Wow...now i wish i wooda got my butt in gear and finished my plane!!! Nice job everybody!

If there was a "Best of Show" it would be hard to pick, but i do like that Spit!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Mon Jan 19, 2015 11:09 pm

Well, would you look at at.

Good job guys! Thanks for heading up another great event Jim!

Ron

Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:00 am

Flying Flying Well Alrighty Then !! Good job and congratulations to all that was able to get an entry in. I am proud to have been able to get mine straightened out to were it would at least stay in the air after several attempts . Yes hopefully this year we will have more people involved , I really enjoyed the contest and Thank You Jim and the Judges for taking your time and doing your part to make this happen . Flying Flying Getback Small Cox Logo         PS. Bring on the 2015 rules Thumbs Up
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:09 am

Very interesting. Can someone direct me to the ground rules?

Love all the airplanes and congratulations to all that participated. Was Rusty the only one running a bladder?
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:30 am

rsv1cox wrote:Very interesting.  Can someone direct me to the ground rules?

Love all the airplanes and congratulations to all that participated.  Was Rusty the only one running a bladder?  
Here is a link to 2014 rules. I am going to tweak them slightly for 2015 to make things simpler and open the window to get your flights in. Will be posted by the end of the month.

https://www.coxengineforum.com/t5898-cef-profile-scale-reed-speed-rules

I'm about 99% sure there will be a Tee Dee class, I hope it doesn't hurt the reed valve participation.
I used bladders on both of my planes.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:18 am

Dang, I thought I'd at least be faster than last time, but I think I'm a couple of seconds slower. At least I got in a couple of victory loops and inverted laps after the 10 timed laps. I think I wasted more time going up and down than straight and flat.

They're going to demolish that wing of the building at the back of the field pretty soon. That should make for smoother sailing.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike Mulligan Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:11 pm

Well done everyone!!!

Jim, when you posted your 'take off' video segment a couple of months back I did a little figuring and knew you were knocking on 70 mph. Awesome job!

Theo, it was really fun to watch your build and to see you get it flying. There was a bit of rough going, but you worked through it and got in a great flight. Congratulations!

And the Rocking Donkey... beautifully done and a good result. Great team effort!

Oh, and I think Rusty should get some bonus points for having a speed machine that can do stunts... Well, I guess they all do stunts, but his are INTENTIONAL! Very Happy

Like I said before, I was really sorry to not be able to get a flight in, but I'm set to go for 2015. I figure I should have time to get in a flight or two sometime between now and December! Watch out boys, there's a Bear(cat) in the woods! tongue

Congrats again everyone!!!

Mike
Mike Mulligan
Mike Mulligan
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://Mulliganracing.com

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:24 pm

Rusty you Show Off you Laughing I thought I was going a little faster than that ? But at least it flew , I am going to do my runs in the Summer weather from now on , I think the air will work to my advantage and produce better runs Shocked  Cool
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Cribbs74 Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:19 pm

Jim,

Did you run #1 cylinders on both of those?

Ian's plane had a #1 on it and it turned up quite well. I was very impressed with the old thermal.

I wish the tank didn't hamper the run so badly as it was quite fast up until that point. The plane had dihedral and rudder offset and was quite controllable. I added tip weight though as it was so tiny I didn't want a gust of wind to blow it in. The thing glides very well once the power is cut.

Ron
Cribbs74
Cribbs74

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:34 pm

Mike Mulligan wrote:Well done everyone!!!

...Oh, and I think Rusty should get some bonus points for having a speed machine that can do stunts... Well, I guess they all do stunts, but his are INTENTIONAL! Very Happy
Congrats again everyone!!!

Mike
Thanks Mike. I figured, hey if I can't go fast I might as well go fancy. I'm a little disappointed though, in myself, for not spending more time testing and tuning. I'm a hopeless procrastinator, even with things that I love to do. One of these days I'm gonna sneak a sleeper in there.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:09 pm

Congratulations to all!!! Looking forward to MORE! Rusty.. I enjoyed your flight-vid IMMENSELY! I thought; "now that was pretty daring". Must be tough flying in that hollow with downdrafts.. but you did it.. and then some!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:19 pm

Cribbs74 wrote:Jim,

Ian's plane had a #1 on it and it turned up quite well. I was very impressed with the old thermal.

Ron

The staggerwing had a #1, I think the 'hopper has one of Bernie's TD cylinders. I'll take a look when I get home. I only flew the 'hopper  twice but came away impressed at how steady it ran. So much so that there may be a full bodied 1/2a stunter in its future.

Jim
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Theo Kleynhans Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:58 am

Thanks for holding the event Jim. This was great fun.

I can't believe I came 4th. I thought I was going quite slow. I really enjoyed this event.

Jim, congratulations on your 2 x planes. If I look at the speeds, you are clearly far ahead of the rest of us.

We will have to up our game for 2015 to catch you.

Could you please add the links for the youtube videos of all the fligts? I cannot view them as they are shown.

Theo
Theo Kleynhans
Theo Kleynhans
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Theo Kleynhans Thu Jan 22, 2015 1:02 am

Mike Mulligan wrote:Well done everyone!!!

Theo, it was really fun to watch your build and to see you get it flying. There was a bit of rough going, but you worked through it and got in a great flight. Congratulations!

Mike

Thanks Mike. Yes I learned quite a lot through this event. I made some bad mistakes, but at least will not make them again.

Hope to see your planes flying in 2015.

Theo
Theo Kleynhans
Theo Kleynhans
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:37 am

Theo Kleynhans wrote:

Could you please add the links for the youtube videos of all the fligts? I cannot view them as they are shown.

Theo

Done
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:25 pm

JPvelo wrote:

Ron

The staggerwing had a #1, I think the 'hopper has one of Bernie's TD cylinders. I'll take a look when I get home. I only flew the 'hopper  twice but came away impressed at how steady it ran. So much so that there may be a full bodied 1/2a stunter in its future.

Jim
Number ones have a reputation for doing well in these types of contests. I think I'll try a #1 on the Tee Dee that I fly my Li'l Satan with and compare results. It has an old style #4 on it now. It's the strongest Tee Dee I have at the moment.

I got out and flew my big ones today. I took the Satan but never got around to flying it. I'll write up a flight report later on.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  JPvelo Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:31 pm

RknRusty wrote:
JPvelo wrote:

Ron

Jim
Number ones have a reputation for doing well in these types of contests. I think I'll try a #1 on the Tee Dee that I fly my Li'l Satan with and compare results. It has an old style #4 on it now. It's the strongest Tee Dee I have at the moment.

I got out and flew my big ones today. I took the Satan but never got around to flying it. I'll write up a flight report later on.
Rusty

I just checked, #1's on both planes.
JPvelo
JPvelo
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:51 pm

I have three #1 cylinders.. and I think they were originally on two Golden Bee's and one 290. I definitely think one was on the G/B with the .082" venturi. I'll be running a #1/290/bladder arrangement on "Phred's Phault".. well that's the plan anyway. BTW.. did my "Rat-Speed/Fun-Fly" idea in the discussion thread provoke any thoughts? It was inspired by my attraction to Rat-rods.. so I pictured stripped-down, bare-bones, balloon-busting, scary-fast looking airplanes with powerful engines that garnish jaw-dropping looks at the local field.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:09 pm

roddie wrote:BTW.. did my "Rat-Speed/Fun-Fly" idea in the discussion thread provoke any thoughts? It was inspired by my attraction to Rat-rods.. so I pictured stripped-down, bare-bones, balloon-busting, scary-fast looking airplanes with powerful engines that garnish jaw-dropping looks at the local field.
I think I need to go back and take a look at that.

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Reed Speed 2014 Results! Empty RECAP FROM LAST YEARS REED SPEED

Post  getback Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:27 pm

Just to help me and ever body get your butts in HI gear !! REMEMBER IF YOU WERE NOT IN THE TOP 3 YOU CAN RUN THAT SAME PLANE AGAIN!!! cheers cheers cheers At least I know I have 1 beat up plane I can entry . getback Devil
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:03 pm

Thanks for the boot, Eric. I'll have to go back and read the rules. I wish we had a race where I could just put an engine on a stick and have-at-it, I'd be more likely to get something ready. If I said I was going to enter the 2015 race, you should probably scratch me off the list. I can't see me being ready for it.

I am super motivated for other flying things right now, partly because I'm still jacked from today's flying.
I'm back! cheers Flew the Oriental with no shoulder discomfort at all. I flew five planes today, got videos too.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:30 pm

RknRusty wrote:Thanks for the boot, Eric. I'll have to go back and read the rules. I wish we had a race where I could just put an engine on a stick and have-at-it, I'd be more likely to get something ready. If I said I was going to enter the 2015 race, you should probably scratch me off the list. I can't see me being ready for it.

I am super motivated for other flying things right now, partly because I'm still jacked from today's flying.
I'm back! cheers  Flew the Oriental with no shoulder discomfort at all. I flew five planes today, got videos too.
Rusty

Great Rusty! Glad the shoulder's better! Page 1 of this thread, I plugged my idea for a rat-speed fun-fly. Oversize engines on homemade speed-pans.. built like "Rat-Rods" in a Run What You Brung style, like in the Prop-Rod thread.

Only difference is; that you're standing in the circle with lines and a handle.

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:08 pm

roddie wrote:...Page 1 of this thread, I plugged my idea for a rat-speed fun-fly. Oversize engines on homemade speed-pans.. built like "Rat-Rods" in a Run What You Brung style, like in the Prop-Rod thread.

Only difference is; that you're standing in the circle with lines and a handle.

I'd slam forgotten about that, I remember. Yeah, I could make something dangerous like that. I could make way more than I can handle too. Sounds fun.

Speaking of speed, today I tried Glowplug Boy 35% in the Li'l Satan and it woke up like I'd put rocket fuel in it. It was the fastest thing I've flown, short of the Gladiator combat wing with an AME .061. I've been using Sig 35 till now.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:21 pm

Quack ; In fifth place, Rusty and his mustang with a time of 34.29 for a speed of 53.69mph. third or less cant run there last yrs planes rules Quote got ur old plane?? Rat race !!
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next