Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Your favorite tachometer Cox_ba12

Your favorite tachometer Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rsv1cox Today at 8:27 am

» Enya .09 II Questions
by sosam117 Today at 8:24 am

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by crankbndr Today at 8:03 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Your favorite tachometer Empty
Live on Patrol

Your favorite tachometer

Go down

Your favorite tachometer Empty Your favorite tachometer

Post  rsv1cox Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:18 pm

I guess it's about time I joined the crowd and buy a tach. What's your favorite - GloBee, Hobbico, other?
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Your favorite tachometer Empty Re: Your favorite tachometer

Post  microflitedude Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:45 pm

My first handheld tach was made by Anderson. It died shortly after purchasing, so I went looking for another. I ended up going with the Turnigy Micro. It lacks some of the features that more advanced units have but it does everything I need it to. My favorite feature is the on/off switch. It also fits nicely in your pocket, and is hard to beat at $8. If want it quicker you can order from the US East warehouse for $11 with cheaper shipping.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__10783__Turnigy_Multi_Blade_Micro_Tachometer.html

Your favorite tachometer Tu-tac10

Last edited by microflitedude on Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

https://www.facebook.com/MiniCub?fref=ts

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:09 pm

microflitedude wrote:I ended up going with the Turnigy Micro. It lack some of the features that more advanced units have but it does everything I need it to. My favorite feature is the on/off switch. It also fits nicely in your pocket, and is hard to beat at $8. If want it quicker you can order from the US East warehouse for $11 with cheaper shipping.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__10783__Turnigy_Multi_Blade_Micro_Tachometer.html

Your favorite tachometer Tu-tac10

Hey Matt, A while back.. there was a thread here on tachs.. and it was mentioned by someone that the biggest problem with most tachs was that if one forgot to manually shut it off when finished.. the battery would go dead. Does yours have an auto-off/battery-saver feature? That's what I'd look for first, if I was going to buy another one.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:13 pm

I have a very plain Hobbico tach. It has a switch for 2/3 blades and nothing else, except it's tough as nails. Inside the shop I turn out most of the lights and use a mini-Mag light to shine through the prop. As for accuracy, it reads 37k under the lights, even incandescent much to my surprise. 37K is 100 RPMs high, but at least it's consistent. A correct reading would be 36K on the 2-blade setting. I never imagined an incandescent lamp with a white hot filament could cool and re-heat 120 times a second and actually be read by a photo cell. With fluorescent lamps the 120 cycle flicker can be seen with the nekkid eye.

Wayne has a tach that shows the peak RPM while also displaying the actual RPM, but I don't know the brand name. I wonder if there is one that would show an average RPM between two button pushes. When I was trying to get a good launch RPM on my OS 46fx the other day, it was crazy all over the place. Maybe because it needs new bearings. They're still in the drawer.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:01 pm

Yes, the Turnigy will shut off automatically if left inactive. I don't remember how long it is though. It takes CR2032 button cells, which are dirt cheap on eBay. It also has a peak RPM indicator beside the real time reading that resets when you switch off the tach.
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:52 pm

I have the same Turnigy Micro Tach. Yes it does turn off automatically, but I find I can't switch it off manually. It seems to be tough of batteries, but as was mentioned, they're cheap. Problem with changing batteries is that you need to remove 4 screws to dismantle the tach, which are easy to strip out. Also, the lens can easily fall out when dismantled if you're not careful.
I find the swithces are not all that good & I need to have several shots at changing the blade settings, which goes up to 9 for use on ducted fans.
For all the negatives, It's good for the price. Mine is dead accurate if the fluorescent light test is anything to go by. We have 50 cycle power down here so the reading is a steady 3000. I always use it with an LED light behind the prop when indoors.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  microflitedude Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:26 pm

Oldenginerod wrote:I have the same Turnigy Micro Tach.  Yes it does turn off automatically, but I find I can't switch it off manually.  It seems to be tough of batteries, but as was mentioned, they're cheap.  Problem with changing batteries is that you need to remove 4 screws to dismantle the tach, which are easy to strip out.  Also, the lens can easily fall out when dismantled if you're not careful.
I find the swithces are not all that good & I need to have several shots at changing the blade settings, which goes up to 9 for use on ducted fans.
For all the negatives, It's good for the price.  Mine is dead accurate if the fluorescent light test is anything to go by.  We have 50 cycle power down here so the reading is a steady 3000.  I always use it with an LED light behind the prop when indoors.

Rod.

That's odd. When depressed, the buttons on mine give a satisfying "click". Pressing the power button will always turn it off. I have used the 9-blade setting to tach my stirling engine. I agree the exchanging the battery is a pain and the screws are cheap, but that's why it's $8 rather than 20. I've thought about swapping them with some socket cap screws but I've only changed the battery twice in the four years I've had it.
microflitedude
microflitedude
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ian1954 Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:38 pm

The tacho displayed is not unique to Turnigy. I have seen several brands but the underlying plastickery and electrickery is exactly the same.

Mine eats CR2032 batteries but it is accurate and easy to use. I have several tachometers for various purposes but this is the handiest for propeller driven measurements.

Your favorite tachometer Tacho_10

The buttons on this have a positive click and my only criticism is the display. It is difficult for me to read in bright light but that is my eyesight!
ian1954
ian1954
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:38 pm

I have both the Globee which I've had for over 10 years and Hanger9 micro tach, both are great tachs and can be both manually turned off as well as having an auto turn off feature the globee reads up to 30k and does up to 4 blades (older tach) while the Hanger9 reads a little higher "I think" and does 9 blades. the Hanger9 tach is IMO not quite as well made as the Globee "feels a bit cheap" and the globee takes a plain jane nine volt battery while the hanger9 takes a button cell however it has a slide out access door and has no screws to remove so it is easily replaced as far as accuracy is concerned both read a steady 3600 via incandescent bulb and I have had no problems with both especially the globee. Anyway here's a pic of them side by side (Bandit)
Your favorite tachometer Tachs10
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:39 pm

I have a GloBee IntelliTach. I've had it for several years now.

•10 - 99,990 (32,000 according to the box) rpm operating range readout is highly visible in large 1/2” (13mm), 5-digit LCD display.
•Measures rpm for peak engine performance up to 12” (305mm) from the propeller, and still get readings accurate to the nearest 10 rpm.
•One-button operation to select between 2, 3, and 4-bladed props with prop selection indicator on left side of the display.
•One-year warranty.
Download Manual

Your favorite tachometer _110

Last edited by Admin on Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:55 pm

Admin wrote:I have a GloBee IntelliTach. I've had it for several years now.

•10 - 99,990 rpm operating range readout is highly visible in large 1/2” (13mm), 5-digit LCD display.
•Measures rpm for peak engine performance up to 12” (305mm) from the propeller, and still get readings accurate to the nearest 10 rpm.
•One-button operation to select between 2, 3, and 4-bladed props with prop selection indicator on left side of the display.
•One-year warranty.
Download Manual

Your favorite tachometer _110
The Globee does read that high? I've had mine so long I don't remember. I though it's max was 30k "Shrugs" (Bandit)

Last edited by TDbandit on Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:40 pm

TDbandit wrote:
Admin wrote:I have a GloBee IntelliTach. I've had it for several years now.

•10 - 99,990 rpm operating range readout is highly visible in large 1/2” (13mm), 5-digit LCD display.
It Globee does read that high? I've had mine so long I don't remember. I though it's max was 30k "Shrugs" (Bandit)

That's what their site says, http://www.towerhobbies.com/products/greatplanes/gpmp2500.html I didn't know the exact specs so I just looked them up. Now that you question it  Huh... , it does sound a little on the high side. I ran downstairs and dug out the box for my GloBee and the box reads 32,000 RPM max. It must be a typo on their site Shocked . I've had it up to the 25K-26K range when checking an old red/gold Tee Dee .010 a friend has.

Admin
Admin
Administrator

http://sites.google.com/site/coxenginecollection/

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:09 pm

"Nods" The highest that I've had mine up to was a little over 28k testing a highly modded RB .21 buggy engine on my Hurdy break-in stand turning a fan unit. That for some excitement. And speaking of the TD.010 that is one engine that i've never had. I'm gonna try and nab one up when the Southeastern Model Show comes back around in march. (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  OVERLORD Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:58 am

I downloaded an accoustic tacho on my mobile phone

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.javiery.rpmgauge

It was 1/2A NUT who introduced that option. This is what he said in another thread about it:

"Readings have been monitored watching photo cell tachs and amazing enough this thing is spot on within 20rpm
It can be set for RC use
2 or 4 cyl
low rpm pre set and high rpm narrows its -\+ losses"

Lieven
OVERLORD
OVERLORD
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:38 am

I am using a Hobbico and the Google acoustic mobile phone app both and find the readings pretty close to each other. The latter allows you to tach the engine with both hands free (the mobile phone placed to no further away than, say, 6 feet from the engine so that you can read it), or more importantly, during flight if you shoot a video with a key-chain camera mounted on your plane then check the rpm while you play the video.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:39 am

I remember that thread and i have a tach app on my phone as well, i went to YouTube found a 049 engine being tach'd and using my phone "tach", had about the same RPM reading as the tach in the video!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down