Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Stuka surprise Cox_ba12

Stuka surprise Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Indexing COX cylinders
by balogh Today at 1:10 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Yesterday at 8:20 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 6:58 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Cox International Yesterday at 12:27 pm

» Parts Cox TD-4
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 8:40 am

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 7:43 am

» On ebay a very special Cox engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 6:32 am

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by Admin Yesterday at 12:51 am

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Stuka surprise Empty
Live on Patrol

Stuka surprise

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Stuka surprise Empty Stuka surprise

Post  rsv1cox Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:32 pm

Stuka surprise

Look Ma, no fuel line.

Stuka surprise Stuka%20parts%20006_zpsndfdgruw

New never fueled airplane. No residue in the tank, in the fuselage, or on the engine. Some flakes around the fuel line nipple and that's it. Must have been one of those fuel line optional airplanes, or maybe Bessie the assembler was new on the job.

Not so much fun taking this thing apart. Four screws, everything comes apart and falls on the floor. All just to replace the broken horizontal stabilizer assembly.

Stuka surprise Stuka%20parts%20009_zpsa4uonjei

Now I have to put it back together.

Stuka surprise Stuka%20parts%20004_zpskmaxjdlw
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Stuka surprise Empty Re: Stuka surprise

Post  getback Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:03 am

WoW what a mess from 4 screws , that would have been a disappointment for a new purchase and then have it come apart like that to install a fuel hose Shocked O DAD GOING TO NEED SOME HELP HERE Very Happy Eric
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:53 am

rsv1cox wrote:Stuka surprise

Look Ma, no fuel line.  

..........Must have been one of those fuel line optional airplanes, or maybe Bessie the assembler was new on the job.  

For some time COX had their stuff assembled in China...this qualifies to be a typical Chinese New-in-Box surprise ( I saw the same thing on many "Made in China" stuff some years ago when the world was rushing to employ the low cost China labor ...and dumped the world with rubbish...things are a bit (really a bit) better today.
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:55 am

Yes, it would have surprised the buyer when he pumped the fuselage full of gas. Might have upset him a bit.

So maybe this is a Nazi/Commie collaboration. What? Maybe the assemble date could be determined by the engine - relieved cylinder, open port, with a #1 stamping. Under the wing it's embossed Made in the USA.

Whatever, it's an assemblers nighmare with over 40 individual pieces to put together.

Stuka surprise Spitzy%20Stuka%20008_zps2viiz5ve

This time it goes together with a fuel line. Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:56 am

I'd love to assemble it...on my table :-)
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:37 am

balogh wrote:I'd love to assemble it...on my table :-)

And your address is:::: Smile Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Feb 07, 2015 10:20 am

Three rules about disassembling a Cox Stuka - Don't do it X3.

I'm a fixer upper, no appliance repairman has ever crossed my threshold. I have rebuilt British sports cars and defeated "The Prince of Darkness" and assembled untold numbers of firearms with less frustration than putting this little black and red nightmare back together.

But, it's not impossible. The old "If I can do it, anyone can do it" applies here. Unless a part is broken (see the broken horizontal stabilizer) I would just clean around the engine in place. But if you must remove the engine to clean/repair it, the following may help.

It comes apart easy, four screws and it falls apart. Watch out for the tail wheel, machine gun, cockpit assembly, bell crank and radiator. The engine comes out easy along with the fuel tank, and if your lucky it may even have an attached fuel line.

Stuka surprise Stuka%20fini%20003_zpszpwuttzl

Yesterday I had the whole thing back together, but when inserting the next to last long engine screw, the pylon snapped. The screw itself wasn't tight, but Cox has a tendency to make these screws to long and they bottom out. (All screws are the same length, except for the tail end screw which is much shorter.)

OK, so I have been here before, broken pylons. The fix is to apply the red Testors cement to each end align and let tack dry then apply additional glue around the break and align both halves with a tooth pick. Note the to long screws.

Stuka surprise Stuka%20fini%20001_zpsoh47b2gn

Wrapping a rubber band around the front helps as you will have to expand the fuselage to insert the cockpit assembly (watch out it can go in 180 out), the machine gun, tail wheel and horizontal stabilizer support.

Stuka surprise Stuka%20fini%20012_zpsuitteshm

After using your third hand to get all of these parts in correctly, insert the middle fuselage screw ensuring the wing is firmly up against the fuselage as that screw holds it in place. Replace both engine compartment screws, I recommend shortening each by at least an eighth" and applying a little light oil to the threads.

Snap on each side of the tail support and separate the two fuselage halves slightly, insert the vertical stabilizer rotating it downward the inserting the short screw through the fuselage and the hole in the tail.

Stuka surprise Stuka%20fini%20010_zpsq6fwk7fd

Snap on the rest of the stuff and your through.....

Stuka surprise Stuka%20fini%20016_zpslsx7uchd

I still have to paint the canopy frame black. I don’t think I will ever fly it, just put it on the shelf to remind me of darker days. Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:20 pm

Nicely done!

You are now an official member of: G.P.M.A.B.C.R.C.

p.s.

I just made that up...Gas Powered Model Airplane Basket Case Rebuildin' Club      

But, if there was one you'd be a member!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:41 am

BoB I am glad to see your having some fun now and you did a wonderful job !! I think I will stick to balsa after seeing that . It would bee easier to fix and I usually do have to Laughing That is one fine looking hanger queen , Mark don't look out you will be nipping at his tail with your collection Small Cox Logo Eric Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:01 am

Nice job on the stuka.it's on my wish list,along with a p-40 pt-19 sky raider and on and on and on and on.
akjgardner
akjgardner
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Feb 08, 2015 8:15 am

That's a mouthful Mark.  You and Eric can be prez and vice prez and I'll be the mechanic.  

I forgot to mention that the horizontal stabilizer support can go in backwards too.  At the last moment I noticed that there is a "F" on the top/front of the support which I imagine stands for front.  So that's the way I put it in.  Also it has to go in before the fuselage is assembled.  

At first, I did get the cockpit in 180 out, one of the many times I had to take it apart again.

I think my recent involvement in things that go up/down and all around has sparked interest in my son again.  He went to a swap meet in Denver and picked up this Habu 180 "bind and fly" with lipo etc. for forty bucks NIB.

Stuka surprise Image1_zps7ydo1cmn

Habu video w/on-board camera. Sounds different than our little two strokes. Somehow this video reminds me of Kims flights. Back in the fifties the Skyraider pilots with contempt used to refer to jets as "suckin' air and blowin' smoke."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY7gsJzDeP8&app=desktop

Next up.  This P-39 Airacobra.

Stuka surprise P-39%202_zpsjikoipb1

Stuka surprise P-39%20Aira%20003_zpsxqiowknm
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sun Feb 08, 2015 3:19 pm

i like how your collection is growing, all war birds and all restores, nice!

I started to get all the ones i had as a kid, then all the ones i wanted as a kid, then all the one i thought i wanted as "big kid" I've culled the heard quite a bit and now i'm down to to display cabinets and 1/2 doz. or so in storage.

Stuka surprise 10-6-010
Stuka surprise 006_210
Stuka surprise 3-31-010
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  crankbndr Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:42 pm

That large model is interesting, is it one of these?
What size is the engine?

Stuka surprise Wm_tif10
crankbndr
crankbndr
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:25 pm

Close, it was the P-40 version...ugliest model(s) mankind had ever created. Wen-Mac made a Cessna 172 (The plane Robby flew in a My Three Sons episode) P-51 and P-40.

Stuka surprise 87743410
Stuka surprise 10-6-011
Stuka surprise B200_110
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:31 am

Damn that is ugly , what was the designer thinking = built a plane stick a NOSE on it with a engine lol! Bring that baby to the field for some laughs , wonder if it flew ? Is that a 99 or 98 on the front? That jet flew pretty well , looked bigger in the sky (cam) Getback Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Mon Feb 09, 2015 9:01 am

No, it's powerful Wen-Mac .049, although it may of been lighter then the P-63/P-39.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:14 am

Nice display case Mark. My son had one very similar in which he showed his Mustang memorabilia. But he gave it away at my dismay to a friend as he's moving back here and thought it wouldn't withstand the trip. He was probably right, but I sure would have liked to have it.

I could ID most of your models, but the Cox Dauntless/Avenger (511) has me stumped. It looks close to both but no cigar to either. I thought the inverted colors - blue wing, yellow fuselage PT-19 interesting.

I have been letting go by the Wen Mac pea shooters on ebay, but that's one of my -have to haves.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:07 pm

No fuel line, eh. My "How I got started..." story begins with bringing home a P-51 Mustang that I bought at Western Auto and could not start. I remember it would light off a prime every time, but even after Dad came home from work, we flipped and primed hundreds of times and that's all it would do. In my story, I interject that I'm sure I could start it today... maybe not, if there was no fuel line. When Dad returned it and went to the hobby shop to get another model, the salesman at the store said he had heard of that happening more than once. Enter the Stuka. Starting easily on a couple of flips was the next to worse thing that ever happened to it Lol.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Mon Feb 09, 2015 3:57 pm

yep, i'll never forget the time spent watching my older brother trying to start his Cosair, flip, flip, flip, flip, flip, flip, flip, BRAAAAABBBBB!!!!!!!! when that baby finally fired off for the first time, i was hooked, that loud noise and rush of adrenalin had quite an affect on a 10 year old kid!
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:46 pm

Yes Rusty,  it might have been comical to see the buyer try to fuel the thing.  I like the visible exposure of the fuel tank open inside the fuselage, a nice feature of these Stukas.  It's got fuel line in it now, but I hesitate to run it.

Ok, neither Avenger or Dauntless.....Helldiver it is.... Embarassed
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:28 pm

This is actually the same plane I've owned since early seventies and actually had the antenna for years, it broke off and i set it some place, but i thing it disappeared twenty years ago.
Stuka surprise 1-7-0610
Stuka surprise 66coxd11
Stuka surprise 00910
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:15 am

I found the antenna to this Stuka on the garage floor several days after I unpacked it.

Stuka surprise Stuka%20fini%20013_zpsy07sayrk

I thought it was missing and looked for a replacement on ebay. It must have fallen out of the box as the accessories were loosely packed. I think it's supposed to be red and the PO painted it black.

Looks like that Helldiver is another one on my must have list.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Buddy1065 Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:43 am

I wonder if it would be possible to straighten out the rudder with heat and convert one of these to electric. I hardly ever use rudder to land my RC FMS Stuka anyway.
I've flown the Cox Stuka in the 60's as a kid. One day my young friends and I decided to try launching a Cox Trainer with its elevator fixed in the up position just to see if it would fly on its own in a school parking lot. It did for quite a while, heading straight for the school, crashing into it if my memory serves me correctly.
Buddy1065
Buddy1065

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:26 am

Buddy1065 wrote:I wonder if it would be possible to straighten out the rudder with heat and convert one of these to electric.

You could but why?

One day my young friends and I decided to try launching a Cox Trainer with its elevator fixed in the up position just to see if it would fly on its own in a school parking lot. It did for quite a while, heading straight for the school, crashing into it if my memory serves me correctly.

It would be interesting to remove the lines, dial in alittle up, leave the rudder as is, and see if it would fly around in circles. Im not sure how well balanced these are east/west though.

Welcome to the forum.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:26 pm

I also think it would be neat to convert one to R/C...i got a crappy Wen-Mac Corsair that doesn't have much value. I don't know what would be better, something like a Super Sport/Rivets type with a lot of wing area or something small with a stiffer wing? I guess you'd have to see what had the lightest wing loading and stiffest wing. Either way a crash is almost guaranteed.

I was gonna mention that the antenna should be red, i hope the guy painted it and its not a repro. Those antennas are pretty scarce, in fact there was a guy on eBay making reproductions.

The Helldiver is pretty neat, it had a third line to pull and release a flat metal spring to eject the pilot w/ parachute.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next