Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Sig Kadet Mk. I Cox_ba12

Sig Kadet Mk. I Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Oldenginerod Today at 7:59 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Today at 3:59 am

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Today at 3:15 am

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 8:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 6:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 5:47 pm

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 5:22 pm

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 4:57 pm

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 2:59 pm

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 12:46 pm

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 11:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 1:28 am

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Sig Kadet Mk. I Empty
Live on Patrol

Sig Kadet Mk. I

Go down

Sig Kadet Mk. I Empty Sig Kadet Mk. I

Post  Mark Boesen Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:39 am

Didn't want to hijack Kim's thread, he had mentioned one of the coolest cool planes ever, the Sig Kadet series (especially the Mk. I) with its flat bottom wing, it's one of the best flying R/C planes out there!

Here's mine the same plane over a twenty-five+ year span, fuselage rebuilt, second wing and tail feathers replaced...push rods original.

c. 1985, First engine was a Enya .29, flown three channel as designed,
Sig Kadet Mk. I 10988612

c. 1993, Cub tail feathers, converted to tail dragger, still had Enya, but soon installed a Thunder Tiger Pro .40
Sig Kadet Mk. I 16127310

Today, flat no dihedral wing with ailerons and O.S. .32 w/ Max muffler/pipe, did have a Fox .50 in it for several years.
Sig Kadet Mk. I 2012-010
Sig Kadet Mk. I 2012-011
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Sig Kadet Mk. I Empty Re: Sig Kadet Mk. I

Post  KariFS Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:33 am

That's a nice looking Kadet/Cub Mark. Do you have experience of (or know someone who has or has had) the Kadet Junior? It has about 4ft span, flat-bottom wing, designed for 3 channel radio and .25 engine.

Reason I'm asking is, I might be able to get an NOS kit of the Kadet Junior. The price is not exactly dirt cheap at 59 EUR, but after seeing a few styrofoam ARF's, I just feel that "real" planes are made of balsa. The bigger Kadets are well liked, but I haven't heard much about the little one. This would be my first "motor" plane after a Riser (with a nose-mounted electric motor), and I think I would go electric with this one too. Quiet and convenient being the main reasons plus I don't have a suitable glow engine anyway.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:48 am

A member of our flying group back in the 1980's built a Kadet Junior as his first 'real' airplane. Mark had showed up one Sunday afternoon, peddling his bike out to the airport, and a week later, returned with a VERY used and VERY warped Kraft Cardinal plastic-fuse/foam wing affair. We got it going and into the air, but it had been repaired with epoxy so many times and was SO heavy, it's glide made the Space Shuttle look like a sailplane.

Mark got to where he could sort of steer it around, but the thing had to be landed with a good amount of power, and every turn-to-final resulted in a spiral into the beans...and even more epoxy.

After really learning to fly with a used Cox Sportavia, he bought the Kadet Junior kit and, following the instructions VERY tightly, built one of the best looking first-time projects I'd ever seen. It was painted bright orange, and I think he had an O.S. .20-something in it (seems like we ALL had switched to O.S. back then). I got a photo of it somewhere, but haven't come across it in my continued scanning project.

Like several in our group who kept planes long-term, the Junior became his signature airplane. He set about teaching himself to fly an actual pattern and nail his landings, like I kept carping about back then. I once heard a member of the club over here in Cape complain about going out to the airport at Cairo, and having to wait to test a new plane because of 'this kid that kept doing touch-and-goes all afternoon'.

The Junior WAS a bit quicker than than it's big brothers, but was packing a used, heavy flight pack, and with the much lighter gear we're running with these days, I'm betting that the weight could be knocked down a bunch, and allow it to drift in for a super-slow landing like the MK I. I can't remember for sure if Mark added strip ailerons or not, but believe he DID replace the stamped aluminum main gear with piano wire at some point.

He flew the Kadet Junior 'till it was a ragged, fuel-soaked vagabond that often lost belly sheeting or strips of monokote in-flight. It finally met it's end in an ill-planned Split-S that ran a bit short on altitude.

Last I heard, Mark was flying the Big Dogs for Fed-Ex or UPS.

Sorry for the story...just touched a nostalgic nerve I guess. I'll post some photos if I can find them.

Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Tue Feb 17, 2015 6:14 pm

I also had a Kadet Jr., it was ok, it didn't "float' as well as the Mk. I, but had a lot of fun with it...untill a "watch this" moment, when for some stupid reason (maybe to see what would happen) i got her up to 400'+ and put it into a straight dive, throttle wide open, its amazing how fast it quickly became and how quick the ground came up, as soon as i touched the elevator the wing sheared off and it planted in the soft dirt, splat! The Enya .29 lived to fly again and i still have tail feathers of the Kadet Jr.
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/049Collectors/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Boesen Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:31 pm

Sig Kadet Mk. I Sig_ka10
Mark Boesen
Mark Boesen
Top Poster