Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Tribute to Mom (Cox employee in the early sixties) Cox_ba12

Tribute to Mom (Cox employee in the early sixties) Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Oldenginerod Today at 1:59 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Tribute to Mom (Cox employee in the early sixties) Empty
Live on Patrol

Tribute to Mom (Cox employee in the early sixties)

Go down

Tribute to Mom (Cox employee in the early sixties) Empty Tribute to Mom (Cox employee in the early sixties)

Post  hingeman Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:42 am

Tribute to Mom (Cox employee in the early sixties) Img_1412Tribute to Mom (Cox employee in the early sixties) Img_1414Tribute to Mom (Cox employee in the early sixties) Img_1416Tribute to Mom (Cox employee in the early sixties) Img_1415Tribute to Mom (Cox employee in the early sixties) Img_1417
It must have been hard raising a family with three boys in the sixties but when dad got hurt and required surgery, Mom stepped up to the plate and got a job at Cox in Santa Ana, Ca. (which was only a few miles from the house) to help with the bills. I'm not sure what she did there or even how long she worked there (I was about 10 and she's not around to ask anymore Sad ) but what I do know is that every time Cox came out with a new airplane or car, all the employees got to bring one home!
A few weeks ago I got the urge to see what was left so I climbed up into the attic to find out. They were covered in dust and baked on castor oil and most of the engines were froze up as well. You have to realize that #1) They are 50 plus years old, #2) They survived 3 different moves and one was to Arkansas and back, and #3) They have been in my scorching hot attic for 35 years!  As you can imagine, the Curtiss Pusher took the biggest hits. It's still missing some parts that I haven't been able to find. The Comanche has a broken wing tip, the Spook plastic film shrunk from the heat and pulled away from the glue, the Mercedes front shock mounts are broken and need repair and well, you get the picture. I'm still looking for my PeeWee tie clasp that I was so proud to wear to church. We weren't the kind of kids that kept them in the box and collected them, we used the heck out of them, had so much fun and created great family memories. Here's some pics of how they turned out.
Thanks Mom for everything.        Rest in Paradise.......                 Elsie Marie Haller (1921-2009)
hingeman
hingeman
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Tribute to Mom (Cox employee in the early sixties) Empty Re: Tribute to Mom (Cox employee in the early sixties)

Post  pkrankow Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:49 am

Happy memories are wonderful.

Clean those up so you can enjoy them more!

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Tribute to Mom (Cox employee in the early sixties) Empty Re: Tribute to Mom (Cox employee in the early sixties)

Post  RknRusty Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:21 am

Thanks for posting and showing us some of your treasures.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  stuntflyr Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:47 am

That's awesome, thanks for the pictures and the reference to your mom!
Chris...
stuntflyr
stuntflyr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:34 am

Thanks for posting hingeman , that's cool you still have your old toys from back then. WOW to get a new model ever time they came out must have been a real blessing , that's a job you wouldn't want Mom to quit . Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Tribute to Mom (Cox employee in the early sixties) Empty Tribute to Your mother and your collection

Post  Bill steklenski Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:46 pm

Congratulations on Sharing your story and collection with this site, Its always great to see More hobbyists come together. I have Original Cox Communique Company newsletters from Glen Bolton who worked for the company, I will look thru them to see if your mom was Photographed. I do have a Catalog that was Autographed by Mary Varela, Maybe she worked with your Mom. Having over 750 Employees at one time must have made it One Wonderfull Company. Seeing that your out in California, try to look up Dan Sitter, He has a Multitude of info of the Cox Company.
Bill steklenski
Bill steklenski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Back to top Go down

Post  hingeman Sat May 02, 2015 12:37 am

Bill steklenski wrote:            Congratulations on Sharing your story and collection with this site, Its always great to see More hobbyists come together. I have Original Cox Communique Company newsletters from Glen Bolton who worked for the company, I will look thru them to see if your mom was Photographed. I do have a Catalog that was Autographed by Mary Varela, Maybe she worked with your Mom. Having over 750 Employees at one time must have made it One Wonderful Company. Seeing that your out in California, try to look up Dan Sitter, He has a Multitude of info of the Cox Company.

I really wish I would have paid more attention back then but I was only 10 years old (give or take). It's sad how I come up with questions later on in life that I want to ask them (Mom & Dad). EXCUSE ME!!! I have a question! HELLO?   Scott    
R.I.P.        Mom & Dad
hingeman
hingeman
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Texanflyer Mon May 04, 2015 5:08 pm

That's a great tribute and a great collection. Thumbs Up
Texanflyer
Texanflyer
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down