Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

KRYLON PAINT TEST Cox_ba12

KRYLON PAINT TEST Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Today at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Today at 9:15 pm

» music vids.. some of your favorites
by crankbndr Today at 7:26 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Today at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Today at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Today at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Today at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Today at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Today at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Today at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Today at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

KRYLON PAINT TEST Empty
Live on Patrol

KRYLON PAINT TEST

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Thinking KRYLON PAINT TEST

Post  getback Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:07 am

KRYLON PAINT TEST Wp_20117  That's the stuff in question , Got it at Wal-Mart 3.77 a can . Took a scrap piece of balsa and put 2 coats of pumpkin orange on bare balsa ,  stuff dry's quick outside so they were with in 5 mins. apart , 2 coats of clear non-yellowing acrylic crystal clear about the same time laps . Let set up for 10 days soaked a piece of paper towel in 25% applied with a baggie over it set the container on top for 3.5 hours , I only did one side of scrap so I could see what it originally looked like and this is the results .. KRYLON PAINT TEST Paint_10  KRYLON PAINT TEST Paint_11  KRYLON PAINT TEST Paint_12 Questions / answers ? no sanding sealer or dope applied should I try it that way or just consider it good to go ?? Eric Huh...
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Thinking Re: KRYLON PAINT TEST

Post  roddie Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:18 am

So it's x2 coats of each.. color/clear.. all applied within 5 min. of each other.. and set aside to cure for 10 days? Do you have any #'s on the average temp/humidity at the time of application?

If there's no color transfer, following repeated wiping with a dry paper-towel.. I'd say that you're good to go.
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:45 am

You might be onto something there. That pumpkin seems to be a winner! 3.5 hours is much longer than my trial time (30 minutes) even if color is transferring with rubbing, as long as it does not transfer with regular handling then I would say it is adequate.

You know the exhaust products prove a different problem, but I'll admit I don't test for exhaust.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:15 am

Roddie , it was in the 70 degree range and low humidity maybe 50-60 per cent and windy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:20 am

pkrankow wrote:You might be onto something there.  That pumpkin seems to be a winner!  3.5 hours is much longer than my trial time (30 minutes) even if color is transferring with rubbing, as long as it does not transfer with regular handling then I would say it is adequate.  

You know the exhaust products prove a different problem, but I'll admit I don't test for exhaust.  

Phil

It would be worth it to test the effect of exhaust on a finish by adding a bendable solid copper wire/alligator clip to your engine test stand.. so when you run engines you can put a small painted piece of scrap-wood in the clip and position it behind the engine in the prop-blast as sort of a "real-world" test. Cool
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:44 am

If I hadn't seen it here, I would have said to let the paint gas off for a long week before applying the clear. But who knows, maybe the tender fresh paint and same brand clear mixed with each other and gassed off together??? Maybe we have a new method in the works. Rustoleum clear is said to not be fuel resistant like the colors are, But mixed together freshly??? More experimentation.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:49 am

Eric, you just saved me a bunch of work. I have been itching to try exactly what you just did. The local Walmart carries Krylon in many colors including the camos that I love. I don't like brushing on dope and enhaling the vapors, not that Krylons are that much better. But spray paints give a more uniform appearance and are easier to apply.

I would though seal bare balsa before applying.

I wonder how Krylon would work on silkspan........ Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:30 pm

I am using Dap Fast and Final spackling underneath Rustoleum to good effect on wood. The results I am seeing are good: a single round of sanding primer before going to color. I use film for open bays (Monokote)

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:23 am

Heck I have been Itching to run something anyway I will do the prop blast test also , After looking at the test piece again yesterday it seems to have lost its shine some on the tested side .... Can says to spray in surface temps of 50* - 90* humidity below 85% Dries in 10 mins. or less , handle in 1 hr. and to apply other coats within 4 hours or after 24 hrs. The only diff. I see in ingredients is paint has DIMETHYL CARBONATE and CLEAR has AROMATIC HYDROCARBONS What ever the heck that stuff is and 5 other ingredients , I also picked up some Rust-Oleum now it only has 2 ingredients . Its going to bee nice enough to spray again today I am going to apply just paint and if I have time will do the prop blast ........ To be continued . This is the other stuff may as well test it too   KRYLON PAINT TEST Wp_20118
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:46 am

Its not food, so the only need to list CAS ingredients.

I am using that exact red rustoleum on my last Flite Streak. I hope to get paint onto it this week. It will get a practical exhaust test in service.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:36 am

We've got some cold air coming through Rhode Island over the next few days. I've got the urge to test one of my Golden Bee's that has a larger (.082") venturi, against another GB with the smaller (.062" standard) size, using cylinders having the same porting. I also want to taper-grind a plunger-needle (Ace style) to test in the larger air intake.. to see what kind of throttle-response I get. 5/64" (.078") music-wire would be the size to use.. and I have some. While (when) I'm at it.. I also plan to test an SPI/Tee Dee cylinder for throttle response using the Ace-style unit.. and report my results to Cox international.

It was near freezing last night. (tough.. if you're trying to harden-off seedlings.. Cold  ) How's your "maters" doing??
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:23 am

When I spray Rustoleum I always heat the can. Not too hot to touch, but probably about 220 degrees. I feel like it flows and covers better when hot.

That 2x might be heavier, but then you might not need as much. I've never tried it.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:42 am

It was near freezing last night. (tough.. if you're trying to harden-off seedlings.. Cold  ) How's your "maters" doing??

----------RODDIE---->  Good so far worked some ground yesterday try and get some in the ground before it rains SAT. afternoon been outside a week...  KRYLON PAINT TEST Wp_20119  That big thing is a Apple tree lol! they seeded them for me in the green house for 10.00 73 plants Shocked   Back To Topic I Brought my cans from inside the house , They shook up well with the ball . Yea that Gloss Red may be pretty slick if not too heavy ... Do you usually put the clear coat on for a glass finish or for protection ?
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:50 am

Engine Running Roddie (report ) We want too see Too !! Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:06 pm

I have yet to use a clear coat since the clears have been reported previously to NOT be fuel resistant. I have not tested any clear yet. I have a can of Rustoleum Painters Touch x2 clear to test, but haven't yet.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:48 pm

I was in the automotive section of Walmart recently and saw lacquer based Rustoleum clear. I think that's different from the Rusto clear at Lowes. If it doesn't craze the enamel Rustoleum colors it may very well be worth trying. I didn't see any Rusto colors next to it. "Rusto"...Mercy, I'm gettn' lazy.
Rusto

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:12 pm

I've been wanting to experiment with Minwax rattle-can clear polyurethane. Has anyone tried it.. since we're on the discussion of clear-coats? I don't know how it would adhere to undercoats of other products.. but if the undercoats were "flat".. or de-glossed, it might make a difference. You'd get the gloss back.. if desired by using the clear-gloss .. correct?

I always understood polyurethane to be fuel-proof..  Huh... .. and I think most people overlook this product, because it's not generally found with the spray-paints.. but rather with the stains.

The Minwax is expensive at $7.77/11.5oz. can

KRYLON PAINT TEST Minwax10

Rustoleum also has polyurethane sprays. These are about $2.00 less for the same size can. These are all stated to be oil-based.

KRYLON PAINT TEST Rustol10
KRYLON PAINT TEST Rustol11
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:13 pm

I have used Minwax Polyurethane (the rather stinky solvent based stuff). Very fuel proof! I used it over some lacquer, which is not fuel tolerant at all, and I used it over Rustoleum. I just shot it on the lacquer and it was fine. This was pretty recent lacquer.

It wanted to fisheye on the rustoleum, so I very lightly sanded, washed with denatured, dusted on a couple coats. I don't think the first coat even was a whole coat. The rustoleum was old so it might have been contaminated.

I also used it on an old flight box, which was definately oil contaminated. After cleaning it out, washing with a scrub brush, soap and water, letting it dry then attacking it with denatured I had no problems.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:57 pm

I brushed Minwax urethane on the Osprey for the bare wood look, and it's like Phil said, completely fuelproof, acetone won't even bother it. It doesn't even have to be the Spar, but either works fine, spray or brush-on is the same stuff I think.

The Minwax Polycrylic is not fuel proof at all, but it's good for laying tissue down on solid balsa like the fuselage for a nice glassy finish. I don't know about open bay wings, but I think it's heavier than you'd want in some cases. My Yak-9 was a big success with tissue and polycrylic on all the parts other than the wing. Then I sprayed it with flat white Rusto and wet sanded it. After the Lustrekote, it looked just like I'd used gloss white, and the flat seemd to cover with much less paint. I think I only used one coat.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:58 pm

roddie wrote:I've been wanting to experiment with Minwax rattle-can clear polyurethane. Has anyone tried it.. since we're on the discussion of clear-coats? I don't know how it would adhere to undercoats of other products.. but if the undercoats were "flat".. or de-glossed, it might make a difference. You'd get the gloss back.. if desired by using the clear-gloss .. correct?
Hey Roddie, this is actually what I intended to answer in my post above, but forgot. Yes, you can get your shine back, but it probably will gradually yellow, or more like amber over time. It has sort of a faint yellowish color anyway. At least it looks that way on plain balsa. I think Phil pretty much covered what you can apply it to safely.

Back to another post I made in this thread regarding Lacquer based Rustoleum, Phil answered that too. I was mistaken in believing lacquer was fuel resistant. Glad I didn't waste money learning that.
Rusty

RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  dinsdale Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:03 pm

roddie wrote:I've been wanting to experiment with Minwax rattle-can clear polyurethane. Has anyone tried it.. since we're on the discussion of clear-coats? I don't know how it would adhere to undercoats of other products.. but if the undercoats were "flat".. or de-glossed, it might make a difference. You'd get the gloss back.. if desired by using the clear-gloss .. correct?

I always understood polyurethane to be fuel-proof..  Huh... .. and I think most people overlook this product, because it's not generally found with the spray-paints.. but rather with the stains.

The Minwax is expensive at $7.77/11.5oz. can

Rustoleum also has polyurethane sprays. These are about $2.00 less for the same size can. These are all stated to be oil-based.

I've always (well, over 50 years now) used single pack polyurethanes.  They're completely fuel and exhaust proof, including in one of my boats which ran 50% nitro.  I used to use expensive stuff (Feast Watson's "Proof") but have discovered over the years that cheap stuff works just as well.  If I'm using the bulk stuff (ie a paint can from which one might brush it on) I thin it with mineral turps - coz it's cheap and it works!

It never gets really cold where I live (there's never been a 0°C recorded here) but I did find that on my full size sailing dinghies (very high performance) that heating the can, as said above, and applying the finish on what we would call a bitterly cold Winter's night (about 10 or 12°C) worked a-treat.  The warm varnish would flow beautifully, and the cold air slowed the drying, ensuring that all imperfections had ample time to flow out.  Using this method can produce a brushed finish at least as good as any sprayed finish.  I preferred brushing in fact.

I was in Oz, Commonwealth and world contention in my younger days, so i required an absolutely blemish-free finish - and this gave it.
dinsdale
dinsdale
Account Deactivated by Owner

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:13 am

dinsdale wrote:......applying the finish on what we would call a bitterly cold Winter's night (about 10 or 12°C) worked a-treat.

LOL -- what we would call a bitterly cold winter's night would be about -29C
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:29 am

dinsdale wrote:applying the finish on what we would call a bitterly cold Winter's night (about 10 or 12°C) worked a-treat.
While over here on the east side it gets a little colder than Perth, anything cold enough to freeze water is too cold for a human body to bear. Don't know how you northerners do it.
Dinsdale, I'd be interested to know what brands of finishes you use. It's all well & good for our US friends to quote Rustoleum & Krylon & Lustrecoat etc, but I've never seen any of them out here. Some local Oz formulas would be handy. How about Estapol? I do have a can of Plasticoat clear but don't know how that would go.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:12 am

Rustoleum, Krylon, and several others are basic spray enamels.  The formulas change between products and even colors and gloss levels, so some testing is in order.  

The basic test is to apply the paint, wait about 14 days to allow the paint to fully cure, then apply a paper towel with some high nitro fuel (the highest you run) on it to the sample, and cover the paper towel to limit evaporation.  After 30 minutes uncover the sample and inspect it.  Suitable fuel resistance does not transfer color or fingerprints when touched, does not wrinkle, blister, or any other type of "coating failure" but may transfer color with light rubbing. There also may be slight discoloration (lighter or darker) but this should go away after sitting overnight.

If the sample passes the fuel test, you may choose to do an exhaust test.  Run an engine and gather exhaust "slime" on the sample.  Put the sample up overnight.  The next day inspect for coating failure.  Clean only a portion of the sample during inspection.  Put the sample up for a week and inspect the whole sample.  If it cleans up it is good.  

Frequently the exhaust oils will strip Rustoleum and other enamels over a period of several weeks or months IF the oils are not at least wiped off.  Many people use window cleaning fluid to clean the models with as necessary.  Both ammonia based household cleaners, and alcohol based automotive windshield washer fluid has been reported out of spray bottles.

I am sure there is a suitable product easily purchased local to you.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:28 am

I have always just used ordinary oil based gloss enamels, but have had to tolerate a very quick deterioration of the finish. I basically accepted this as normal. Some have told me that sealing enamel with clear furniture varnish can help. I have recently had some dope tinted with acrylic automotive tinters- I was told this would work by the manufacturer of the tinter. Yet to try.

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next