Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

my glider! Cox_ba12

my glider! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by roddie Today at 6:22 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by dan vincent Today at 6:15 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Today at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Today at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Today at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Today at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Today at 7:56 am

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by Yabby Today at 6:33 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Yesterday at 10:14 pm

» Postage stamp backplates
by JPvelo Yesterday at 8:52 pm

» Cosmic Winds, - Big Guy, Little Guys, Silver Guy and Wounded Guy.
by rsv1cox Yesterday at 5:18 pm

» My friend Ramón, his Cox .09 & Cox .010
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:31 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

my glider! Empty
Live on Patrol

my glider!

Go down

my glider! Empty my glider!

Post  cox24711 Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:57 am

hey guys this is my scratch built 2 channel rc sailplane with a cox medallion 15 itg took me two years to design and build every day after and before school i am only 12 and i can't wait to fly it at the beach!

https://i.servimg.com/u/f18/19/05/55/62/photo_10.jpg
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

my glider! Empty Re: my glider!

Post  cox24711 Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:58 am

dont worry i tried it my my black widow and was't powerful enough
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cox24711 Mon Jun 15, 2015 2:59 am

so second flight coming!
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:16 am

Looks good Smile A .15 might be a bit too powerful, I am sure someone here can tell which kind of propeller to select to keep the speed low enough for the glider.

Good luck with your next flight. I am glad to see that there still are youngsters who do scratch builds.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:00 am

With a .15 you will definitely want to do some short tank tests before a proper launch. (If you haven't already) In a large space first do hand launch glide tests, adjust the GC forward and back so the glider want to settle level. As a side effect means the engine will probably need down thrust angle to keep from climbing uncontrollably.

http://coxengines.ca/engine-and-fuel-guides.html
looks like an 8-3 or 9-3 would be the prop to choose. Reversing the prop will de-power the prop considerably if needed. The larger prop will probably pull harder that the smaller prop. (There is a split at about .09 engine size where RPM increase is more thrust on smaller engines, and prop diameter increase is more thrust on larger engines.)

Since a .049 is usually enough to pull up a 2m sailplane, at a modest climb rate, I would choose the smaller prop. With a .15 there is a good possibility of vertical performance. Use about a dozen rubber bands on the wings instead of just 4. lol!

If you can rig a throttle or fuel cut off, do so.

Best luck.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Mon Jun 15, 2015 9:47 am

Nice glider! looks like it will fly well. Smile
BTW i'm curious, what type of flying are you planning with it, Soaring, just flying around? (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cox24711 Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:05 pm

i am going to do some slope soaring with out any slopes pls australia is the flattest continent in the world we have a tiny 400 metre mountain net to the beach so i am going to fly it there the with 15 medallion rc what prop should i have and 2oz of fuel that sound ok cg is tiny bit nose hevy and fuel is under the wings cg! it has 3 9 gram servos with heaps of travel it is going to be very quick before the fuel runs out!
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  KariFS Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:54 am

400m mountain would be plenty for slope soaring. I live in a relatively flat area, and slope soaring can be done with the help of a 40-50m hill if the wind is right.

To me Noosa looks like a paradise Smile But the hills seem to be covered with forest, so maybe slope soaring is not an alternative, even with the presumably strong and steady wind from the sea.

Before you send your glider up in the air with the screaming Medallion, test it first to find the suitable fuel amount. I am guessing maybe 30 seconds of engine run would be good for the first flights, a full minute feels like an eternity if you have too much power Smile

I have a SIG Riser 2m with an electric motor and a folding 10" prop, not sure how much the output of the engine is but it is enough to twist the plane sideways if I turn it to full power too quick. Once I was doing a fast fly-by in maybe 1.5m, then applied full power and the left wingtip hit the snow! I didn't crash, I was lucky, but it was close. Your Medallion is probably a little less powerful than the electric engine on mine but do be careful. Have you considered electric power for your glider? If you have a free channel in your radio, an R/C throttle would be easy to add.
KariFS
KariFS
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  cox24711 Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:35 pm

my glider! Photo_11

here landing gear and engine mount landing gear is there so the prop dose not snap and that i have the option to hand launch
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  pkrankow Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:11 pm

With 2-blade props set it so the prop is horizontal when the prop bumps against compression. With most engines the prop won't freewheel, and will stay horizontal when it quits.

Landing gear is nice to have at times though.

Phil
pkrankow
pkrankow
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  cox24711 Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:51 am

i have almost got my bronze wings (perimt to fly solo) still on my buddie box lol!
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:21 am

Good Job cox24711 !!  Looks like your on your way to some soring FUN Good Luck with the flights , keep us posted Very Happy Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  cox24711 Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:10 pm

thanks dude the name is
Greg
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

my glider! Empty Fledgling

Post  Coxfledgling Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:35 am

Hi Greg, really good to see youngsters ( us oldies are still 21 inside our heads ! ) ta
Code:
king up this hobby. Stick to it and all aspects, like how a radio set works, how a 2t and 4t engine works, how electric motors ( 3 phase these days ! ) work etc. etc . etc., turn your skills into a school qualification and eventually a degree !

Foam wing ?

You know of "outerzone", look up the "found" plan. I came across that in aeromodeller mag, a free plan for free flight rubber powered. I made one, all sheet fuz with a DC Merlin 1 1/2 cc diesel on the front, 2 channel. flew great.

I made an extended wing ( rocket sticks for spars, not much money in those days, poverty is the mother of invention and skips are usefull ) and glider fuz, 2 channel with an ME Heron 1cc diesel on the front and flew it on the beach when we lived by the sea side. Flew and glided well with strong wing.

Your beach have any dunes ?

Flew skizzzzu soaring on the dunes...

I assume you have mastered the " prop the dipping wing with the stick " saying ?

A too powerfull engine (td09 instead of an 049 ) can result in bin bag time, much toooo hairy....left wing would tuck under due to too much speed/flex resulting in violent reaction, but I didn't crash that model, Bowman mini skyman for an 049...

These days I employ throttle control or fuel cut off, much safer...

I miss living by the seaside...

Enjoy......

Ps, watch what the birds do, and, never fly in an off shore wind.

We lived right by the beach with rising ground on behind. During the winter, a misty day, off shore wind, I watched the mist rolling and swirling down slopes I used for soaring.

A few weeks later, fine sunny day, tide out, beach deserted, so off I go with the 4 channel 40 powered shadow, a with 4 ish type plane that I had flown a lot ( it's still alive ). Took off, wwww, doesn't seem to want to fly today !?

Off shore wind, so landed double quick !

Remember I saw the mist 2 weeks ago !

Got away with that one, thank you God.
Coxfledgling
Coxfledgling
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:06 am

I suspect Greg found either cars, motorcycles or girls

He has not log in for a few years

fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  balogh Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:25 am

He must have grown too old (I figure he must be near 20 by now) to play with COX engines, unlike we everteens do.. lol!
balogh
balogh
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sun Sep 25, 2022 6:46 am

Fred nailed it, a serious case of the fumes. Exhaust fumes and perfumes it's addictive.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  andrew Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:07 am

fredvon4 wrote:I suspect Greg found either cars, motorcycles or girls ................

The downfall of every young man until he regains his senses ...... !
andrew
andrew
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

http://web2.murraystate.edu/andy.batts/ps/POWERSUPPLY.HTM

Back to top Go down

Post  NEW222 Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:19 pm

I have to agree with the above statements. I was hard into it earlier on, then stepped away for quite a few years. Then got back to it with electrics. Then away again. Then back to my favorite little engines, Cox. Back to .40 size nitro stuff and running my .049 engines. Unfortunately the past couple years I have not been 'into' it. I don't know why, but I am still here and playing with my engines, although I have not run any this year. Yet..... Still love them and always will. I do keep saying next year, but....

On the bright side, I, along with my engines are still here, and just may make a full comeback soon!
NEW222
NEW222
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  cox24711 Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:21 am

fredvon4 wrote:I suspect Greg found either cars, motorcycles or girls

ahahahahah well your not wrong! I haven't been on this computer in years!

I'd like to personally thank all of you guys for making my childhood as great as it was!  Babe Bee .049
I'll give you guys a bit of an update!

so yeah I'll be turning 21 in December (lucky me I'm in Australia so I've been able to drink for a couple of years)  Beer Cheers . I'm a final year cabinet maker apprentice  Cox Beaver Chainsaw , I make the interiors of offroad caravans. After work, you'll find me messing around with my boss restoring his Landrover Series 2 which as of a week or so ago we have finished. So yes Fred you were right about the cars! my first and only car is a 1974 Australian built Mini Clubman of which I have spent countless hours on  Burning Cash including, new floor new fancy adjustable suspension all around, disc brakes, rebuilt 1275 Cooper S engine (bored 20 thou), and gearbox, new seats etc. and I've just finished supercharging it! makes 110hp at 5500rpm 9psi. so its an absolute rocket (for a mini) and my numberplates are MR834N (I'm sure you guys can figure it out.
So yeah that's been keeping me busy. I'm wanting to get back into flying again too!  RC Plane
about girls, well you guys know what they're like!  Crazy Eyes
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Oct 04, 2023 4:32 am

cox24711 wrote:
fredvon4 wrote:I suspect Greg found either cars, motorcycles or girls

ahahahahah well your not wrong! I haven't been on this computer in years!

I'd like to personally thank all of you guys for making my childhood as great as it was!  Babe Bee .049
I'll give you guys a bit of an update!

so yeah I'll be turning 21 in December (lucky me I'm in Australia so I've been able to drink for a couple of years)  Beer Cheers . I'm a final year cabinet maker apprentice  Cox Beaver Chainsaw , I make the interiors of offroad caravans. After work, you'll find me messing around with my boss restoring his Landrover Series 2 which as of a week or so ago we have finished. So yes Fred you were right about the cars! my first and only car is a 1974 Australian built Mini Clubman of which I have spent countless hours on  Burning Cash including, new floor new fancy adjustable suspension all around, disc brakes, rebuilt 1275 Cooper S engine (bored 20 thou), and gearbox, new seats etc. and I've just finished supercharging it! makes 110hp at 5500rpm 9psi. so its an absolute rocket (for a mini) and my numberplates are MR834N (I'm sure you guys can figure it out.
So yeah that's been keeping me busy. I'm wanting to get back into flying again too!  RC Plane
about girls, well you guys know what they're like!  Crazy Eyes

Welcome back Greg.  That Mini of yours sure sound like a beast.  Just make sure you drive it mild rather than wild.  We want you around for a few years yet.

Oldenginerod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  cox24711 Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:18 am

100% rod. roads are unpredictable. I've got a bunch of rules that I follow when I choose to have some fun so I do it in a safe manner. unlike modern cars minis crumple zones are the cars in front of them!

I'm planning on taking it on some track days at my local-ish race track Tether Car Track  lakeside in Brisbane with one of my mates (another supercharged mini owner) which should be fun. I've solved the detonation issue by making a new larger supercharger pulley from an engine idler pulley from god knows what to bring the boost down so I can rev it safely.
my glider! Greg_m10

my glider! Img_9410

i forgot to attach some photos. so here you go Smile
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:25 am

Nice. I like the retro (rat-rod) look and very clever with the rego plates. Laughing
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:42 am

Hi Greg , Good to hear from you and like your fun ride ! If your coming back and looking for some fun in the airplane department we got a Fun contest going on here > https://www.coxengineforum.com/t17544-the-2023-annual-world-wide-ringmaster-fly-a-thon-october-7th-8th Very Happy Small Cox Logo Very Happy
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  akjgardner Wed Oct 04, 2023 5:00 pm

Hey Greg Welcome back . Nice ride
akjgardner
akjgardner