Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

A little Enya crazy Cox_ba12

A little Enya crazy Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» music vids.. some of your favorites
by Oldenginerod Today at 1:59 am

» Draco Goes Flying, But Misses the Eclipse
by HalfaDave Yesterday at 9:59 pm

» A prototype Cox Reed-valve marine engine
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 9:15 pm

» Enya .09 II Questions
by Surfer_kris Yesterday at 2:45 pm

» Wen Mac .049 - Conditioning.
by MauricioB Yesterday at 12:21 pm

» Happy 53rd birthday Mauricio!!!
by MauricioB Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Jim Walker Firebaby
by rdw777 Yesterday at 11:22 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 10:57 am

» UV Restore of Yellowed Decals
by Levent Suberk Yesterday at 8:59 am

» 22mm 2-blade nylon marine prop and solid-shaft drive
by roddie Yesterday at 6:46 am

» Post edit??
by roddie Yesterday at 5:33 am

» Original Super Power fuel formula?
by HalfaDave Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:28 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
April-2024
OVERLORD's

"Kress ducted fan with new Cox Conquest 15 RC"

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

A little Enya crazy Empty
Live on Patrol

A little Enya crazy

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A little Enya crazy Empty A little Enya crazy

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:46 am

Other than my 50's era Cox .049's Enya was my first glow engine. I started with a .45 mounted on my Lanier R/C, then a .29 on my Fledgling, then a series of .09's. When I "got out of" the hobby in the '60's I sold/gave away all except the .29.

After this site got me all rev'ed up in the hobby again I bought a lot of Cox engines, then McCoys/Cubs/Wens/Hollands/Spitfires etc.

Then I found a lonesome well neglected Enya .09 and fell in love all over again. Since, I have added a few more along with their bigger brothers.

According to Bob Allen's well researched Enya "Compendium" in just a six year period Enya sold over 95,000 .09's and they have been manufacturing them ever since from 1954 to date. He quotes that Peter Chinn in 1966 compared the .09 Enya with the .09 Cox TD stating that "There was no other .09 better up to 14,000 RPM. Over that only the Cox TD .09 edged ahead slightly in outright power, but the Enya retained superior torque."

These can be found rather cheap. I just added these two R/C and C/L versions for a total of $14.75 from the same vendor.

A little Enya crazy Enya_015

A little Enya crazy Enya_016

Both like all the others will be dismantled and restored. There is an old saying "You can't wear out an Enya" and from what I have found, that's quite true.

A friend in Belgium just sent me this like new very early example from the mid '50's. Nothing interchanges with the newer models.

A little Enya crazy Enya_b10

I need a bigger display case. Smile

A little Enya crazy Displa10

Bob

rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

A little Enya crazy Empty Re: A little Enya crazy

Post  roddie Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:45 am

rsv1cox wrote:

I need a bigger display case.  Smile

A little Enya crazy Displa10

Bob 

Bob.. that's a lot of engines! Are there more peg-holes in the sides of that cabinet to adjust your shelf-height? Maybe you could have a 2nd shelf (or two..) cut at the glazier? Are all those engine stands made from Plexiglas or wood? They look brown.. but that could be reflection of the cabinet wood. Either way.. they look nice!
roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:37 pm

Thanks roddie, There are holes for pegs in the cabinet and I probably have the glass packed away someplace from our move to WV from Florida. But I found a jewelry store style display case at a local auction site today, and I might just cast a bid for it when it goes on sale tomorrow.

The stands are cut from left over Pergo flooring that the previous owner left here.

I thought some of the more vocal Cox enthusists here might dispute Bob Allans Enya .09/Cox .09TD comparison, but guess not. I would think that the heavier Enya would negate any advantage over the TD. But I have yet to compare specs of the two,

I recently found an old loose-leaf folder that I had years ago, and it's chock full of Peter Chinn's articles on Cox engines. Wish I had copied a few of the Enya's. Now I have to search ebay for those issues. Smile
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:58 am

Well Mr. Enya , you have got it going on and they all look brand new . Nice collection Bob ! I don't know about the differences between the Cox and Enya I have never ran my TD09 I have ran my Enya and is still breaking it in I think I am close to having it ready for Something ? when the plane a rises for Balsa to airplane Lol . Do you have an Cox 09 ? Eric Very Happy  Thought I would add this its getting better ...   I got a GloBee tach coming then we will see whats what .
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:26 am

Enyas great engine, I've been hoarding a few of them myself...
My favourites are the more modern ABC and AAC ones, they are really high quality compared to the ABN cheating that their competitors were up to at the time.

Sadly seems like we might have reach the end of this engine company too though, the last time I looked at their websites there was only one or two engines fro sale. Sad

A little Enya crazy Img_5110
Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:52 pm

rsv1cox wrote:Then I found a lonesome well neglected Enya .09 and fell in love all over again.  Since, I have added a few more along with their bigger brothers.

According to Bob Allen's well researched Enya "Compendium" in just a six year period Enya sold over 95,000 .09's and they have been manufacturing them ever since from 1954 to date.  He quotes that Peter Chinn in 1966 compared the .09 Enya with the .09 Cox TD stating that "There was no other .09 better up to 14,000 RPM.  Over that only the Cox TD .09 edged ahead slightly in outright power, but the Enya retained superior torque."

These can be found rather cheap.  I just added these two R/C and C/L versions for a total of $14.75 from the same vendor.  

A little Enya crazy Enya_015

A little Enya crazy Enya_016

Both like all the others will be dismantled and restored.  There is an old  saying "You can't wear out an Enya" and from what I have found, that's quite true. [....] Bob

The .09's are really sweet engines and I really like them, perhaps the best kept secret. With peak power at lower RPM, they are torquey and can turn larger props with ease. You're right, Bob, they come up occasionally, especially the left hand exhaust III and can be had for a song. Peter Chinn also mentioned that there is no advantage to running props smaller than 7x4. I found his advice to be true, flew using a 7x3 prop and the plane flew very .049 like. It was transformed into a tiger with a 7x6 prop.

The Enya .09's are one of my favorite engines.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:17 am

Thanks guys,  Eric, that .09 sounds like a bag of bumble bees.  Good sounds.

Nice collection Kris, mixture of current, MRC, and Vintage.  Bob Brooks still offers a variety of new Enya glow and diesels.

My favorite too George.  But they are like pototo chips, you can't stop at just one especially when they sell for about the cost of a Happy Meal. Smile

I don't know if any of the Enya brothers are still with us, but they made one heck of an engine(s).  I'm just now getting though Bob Allan's 61 page analysis and I have been reading Peter Chinn's articles on line.  I always disassemble them and note the drfferent ways they scavenged the gasses, the different skirted pistons, and the rings.  

My latest, a crash damaged Enya 60X BB that someone had repaired with a substance like JB Weld, but different.  Act's more like real aluminun when you file it.  He left it a mess, just blobs of metal.  It was a blackened mess when I got it.  

A little Enya crazy Enya_616

A little Enya crazy Enya_617

I really enjoyed this youtue video.  From tick over to full throttle is so smooth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZL0xgtWyLQ

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  cox24711 Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:05 pm

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! all those engines!!!!!!!! Shocked Affraid or WOW! thats amazing Thumbs Up
cox24711
cox24711
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:14 am

Thanks Greg, but there are many here that have greater collections with more significance. The cabinets back mirror tends to double the impact. Smile

I did find a display case very similar to one that Mark Boeson showed here in a post several months ago. I will need it. I just "won" these ten Enya's on ebay yesterday.

A little Enya crazy Enya_x10

The 63 in the upper left was Enya's first for sale engine sold in the early 50's. Sand cast case with a six bolt front end followed by the .60 made the same way. Both engines were serialized with low production numbers.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:40 am

The way you're going Bob, you won't just need a new display case but a whole new room Affraid or WOW!
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Tue Sep 29, 2015 7:51 am

Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:01 am

I really like the Enya .09-III's, really powerful and smooth operating engines. $110 US (98 EU), he'll never get that, it is not even NOS with missing throttle arm, link, exhaust baffle plate, sprung spring needle shaft and dirty to boot. To me it is worth $15 if it has good compression. What?  Tired w/ Coffee Read
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:13 am

rsv1cox wrote:My latest, a crash damaged Enya 60X BB that someone had repaired with a substance like JB Weld, but different.  Act's more like real aluminun when you file it.  He left it a mess, just blobs of metal.  It was a blackened mess when I got it.

A little Enya crazy Enya_616

That cleaned up really nice, can't see where the JB Weld was applied, good repair.

I really enjoyed this youtube video.  From tick over to full throttle is so smooth:

Bob

That's a really sweet running engine, Bob, love the way it ramps up when throttled with tick over idle. Those Enya's are perhaps the best kept secrets. Very Happy
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:38 am

Bob (Mr. Enya) I seen that lot of enyas on the bay and thought of you that's wild that you got them , that 60X does have a sweet /strong sound to it . And what Rod said about the Room lol!  Yea the .09 is still being hard to start at the first , I got the elect start out after flipping awhile on it but my batt. was down so I still chicken sticked it till she fired off , it has been in the air on a small bipe I made years ago . It didn't waste no time getting around the circle Shocked  A little Enya crazy Wp_20118  W/S Is 12"  Flying
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Sep 29, 2015 11:31 am

Yes, a gold mine. Smile

I have followed that one for a few weeks, always to a no sale. I have it saved just to check to see if someone actually bought the thing at that price. I have thought about "asking a question" just to give him a dose of reality, but gave up on that idea. Different strokes for different folks.

I have just about had my fill of these for awhile unless I see something like those two C/L & TV .09's for seven bucks and change a piece. One is new never ran with a box. But now I just look for the SS's (Super Stunts) and X's (Schnurle porting) and vintage with "Made in Japan" cast into one bearer.

I think I read where that 60X was the first Schnurle ported Enya. It has a huge carburetor with what looks like an integrated spray bar. I just love the plumbing cast into the case on the thing. Gives it a real beefy look.

A little Enya crazy Enya_618

A little Enya crazy Enya_619

It has a slot cut into the barrel and one end fits into a nipple.

Another strange. The carburetor's mount is not drilled and tapped like most, but depends on a friction fit of the two securing screws.

I like your Bipe Eric. Would have loved to see you going round and round with it.
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:37 am

Picked this Enya .15 up today for $5 with the most part of a plane attached.  He would send the engine on its own or I could pick it up & get the whole thing, about an hour's drive away.  It was a beautiful sunny Sunday so I convinced my wife to come out to lunch with me at a beach-side town (an hour's drive away), with a slight detour.
A little Enya crazy Pictur11
The owner said he bought it new 30 years ago and flew twice.  It wouldn't have been much of a performer.  As much as I love Enyas, this plane is WAY too big for the engine.  
A little Enya crazy Pictur12
My first glimpse at the attached ebay pictures showed no sign if a screwdriver having touched the screws, so that was a good start.  Add to that the prop & muffler & I figured it was a good deal.  The only issue with it is a bent carb spray bar & missing carb mounting screws.  He said after 30 years he gave it a squirt of WD-40 and it turned over fine.  I'm yet to dismount it and clean it up, but I'm confident that it will be like new.
A little Enya crazy Pictur13

Rod.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:24 am

Heck of a buy Rod, five bucks with a muffler. Bob Allan is all ga ga about the .15 in his writings.

As you know, be careful of that fuel supply nipple when straightening that spray bar. It's just a soldered in piece and easily dislodged.

A little spit and polish and you have a slightly broken in runner.

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Sun Oct 11, 2015 3:50 pm

Straightening the spray bar may not be an option as they are pretty prone to snapping. I'll try heating it first to soften it. Otherwise, I have a carb off an old .09 I converted to C/L to use for parts, plus a .19 with a complete carb which may fit for the purpose of bench running.
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:17 pm

Other option is simply run it bent, if it doesn't affect running performance. shtterman might have the part you need if replacement is warranted.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Sun Oct 11, 2015 5:21 pm

On a five dollar engine you could try chucking up the body in a padded vice, heat the spray bar, turn it until you reach the bent spot then gently tap it in the opposite direction with a small tapping hammer, something like what you reset the sights on a rifle with.  You never ever get it perfect, but if it doesn't work spray bars for these are quite cheap.  

But ya, if it runs as is, run it.  But, it would drive me a little nut's.  Smile

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:47 am

Great deal Rod , yea that looks like a 40 size plane did you get the wing with it or just the fuse ? Will be good to see it run after 30+ years . Eric Leaves
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Oldenginerod Mon Oct 12, 2015 8:21 pm

The clean-up is happening and it's coming up good.  It's like new under all the corrosion & goo.  Shame about the carb parts.
Yeah Eric, I was thinking it was about a .30-.40 size plane.  I got no wing with it. That's probably why it only flew twice & has sat for 30 years.  What finished the wing probably bent the spray bar and u/c leg too.
Heck, I might just bolt the engine back on and enter it in the Cox Prop Rod comp. lol!
Oldenginerod
Oldenginerod
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:21 am

The rest of the plane doesn't look too bad Rod.  Find the plans and build a wing for it.  Nothing I like better than rebuilding someone else's project or crashed plane, (especially my own!) Smile

Cold weather is coming here.  When it arrives I'm completing this vintage Aircrate, posted about before.

A little Enya crazy Strutz15

But your just starting to warm up, flying weather there.  

That Aircrate had one of the worst condition engines that I have seen, but it cleaned up perfectly.  I'm sure your's will do the same.

A little Enya crazy Enya_022

A little Enya crazy Enya_w18

Bob
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  GallopingGhostler Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:15 am

I see you have an Enya .09-III TV there, Bob. Those are really nice engines. HP wise, Peter Chinn had it at .16 HP, the Fox .15X is listed at .17 HP on 5% nitro. On 20% nitro, the Fox put out .225 HP at 16,000; The CL version of the Enya with venturi restrictor removed put out .24 HP at 18,000 RPM on 30% nitro. The engine is a little power house.
GallopingGhostler
GallopingGhostler
Top Poster
Top Poster

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  rsv1cox Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:34 am

Thanks George,  They are quality engines that run very well.  Since then I have added a few more, 19 to be exact.  After all the title of this thread is ("a little Enya crazy")  Smile  Most were bought very cheap in various conditions and restored.

A little Enya crazy Enyas_14

A little Enya crazy Enyas_15

A little Enya crazy Enyas_16

A little Enya crazy Enyas_17
rsv1cox
rsv1cox
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down