Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

Flight report for saturday at GAMA! Cox_ba12

Flight report for saturday at GAMA! Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by balogh Today at 12:07 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

Flight report for saturday at GAMA! Empty
Live on Patrol

Flight report for saturday at GAMA!

Go down

Flight report for saturday at GAMA! Empty Flight report for saturday at GAMA!

Post  TDbandit Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:56 pm

Saturday was cloudy but fairly nice, not too hot and not too cold variable but light winds so we decided to head out to the circle at GAMA and get some flights in so here is my report for this little session!
Please note however there are no pics or video this time around sorry:(

I got out to the field around 2:30pm to find bill already there unloading his equipment, his brodak vector being the first in line so we set it up, hooked up the lines, fueled er up and coaxed the Brodak .40 to life. He walked to the center and gave me the signal and off she went for a nice roll out and lift off, but the ghost of karma rose and said it was not to be because just after lift off, a leadout failed and it quickly entered a big loop on takeoff and did a graceful but hard pancake into terra ferma shaving the gear off and shattering the prop. The model was not badly damaged in the crash however which is a good thing so off came the vector and was put away and next was his white Fox .29X powered voodoo, we hooked er up fueled the pacifier and lit off the fox and off she went and talk about a hotrod, she screamed around the circle on 60' lines averaging 3.5 sec laps and for a full run! finally! Bill put er through all the maneuvers without a sag awesome flight! It's second flight went even better!

Next up was a new model that he recently acquired, its a Eastern European FAI F2B (I think) combat wing made by Yuvenko & Co Aeromodel products which is designed around the Profi .15 This example was however powered by an older blue cased OS LA .25.
We hooker it up and started er and once bill got to the center and gave the signal, off she went! While the flight wasn't incredibly fast it was however very smooth and stable and talk about a long flight was up over 6 min. He put it through the manuvers making it look easy!
he flew er for two more flights with the same consistent results, the last flight being after mine.

Now it was My turn, first up was my super clown powered by a late 50's vintage Fox .35 that I have been treating for low compression slowly building its compression up on the bench (it was a victim of someone using synthetic oil which wiped the varnish that was providing the seal for the piston out of the engine) and now it was time to test it out in the air. I hooked it up, checked and centered the controls and fuel it, then came the moment of truth, I primed it hooked the battery up and gave er a good flip and it busted off on the first flip! I went to the handle checked the controls again and gave the signal and off it went! first i let er go for several laps, then proceeded with fairly vigorous climb and dives then I put er through some loops, the engine breaking between 4-2-4 about instantly through the maneuvers with not even a hiccup! the landing went smoothly as well. This engine is running better than my new fox!
My second flight went about the same except it took about four flips to tick it off enough to hit back this time and it busted off with a run about the same!

Next model up was my ringmaster, Like normal I hooked it up checked the controls then fueled it and hooked the battery up, It started easly and with bill holding er back I went to the center and checked the controls. I had done some control adjustments prior to arriving so this was a new flight again. anyway I gave the signal and off she went this time with a new prop (10x5) and she pulled real good! however after a few seconds it went real rich so I had to limp it around the circle for about the entire flight, I tried some mild climb and dives to try and get the engine to break and clear out but no go oh well at least the controls felt better. The second flight did better with it clearing out enough to get some descent laps with climb and dives then a loop along with a mild wing-over (Im getting those higher) the loop however burped or tried again anyway but not as bad. May try a different tank later also going to burp stick it.
The third flight was the same as the first, rich but cleared about half way through the flight and turned out nice!

All and all we had a good time and even Mac Hodges (Flew the famous giant B-29 with the rocket powered Bell X-1 for those who don't know) Flew in and landed at the GAMA field to see and chat with us We've known Mac for a long time and he's an awesome guy if any of you ever get a chance to meet him chat with him!

Anyway I hope you enjoyed my hastily assembled report here and next time there will be pics, just didn't think to grab my camera this time. Take care folks TD out! now it's time for bed (The bandit gets up turns around them passes out, flopping onto the bed ZzZzZzZz.)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Flight report for saturday at GAMA! Empty Re: Flight report for saturday at GAMA!

Post  fredvon4 Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:00 am

Great report brother Bandit

Thank you sounds like a fun day!
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Flight report for saturday at GAMA! Empty Re: Flight report for saturday at GAMA!

Post  Kim Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:19 am

Ditto What Fred Said! Glad the Ringmaster straightened up and gave you a good run, AND that Bill's Vector survived it's failed line!
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  badbill Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:15 am

Man we did have a blast, the Voodoo is a monster just as it should be. The Vector kind of survived the crash but didn't survive the post flight dissection.. the bellcrank was suspended in the middle of the wing which was permanently mounted on the fuse. The further I cut the more I knew it wasn't gonna happen. Unfortunately the brodak crap arf curse struck again. The motor, Brodak .40 survived with just a little dirt to clean off. It made up for it all that the Voodoo and Yuvenko combat ships ran and flew so well Laughing
badbill
badbill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  badbill Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:25 am

I'm wondering why my bud said we didn't have any pics????

Flight report for saturday at GAMA! Vec11
badbill
badbill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  badbill Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:27 am

Flight report for saturday at GAMA! Yv110
badbill
badbill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  badbill Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:27 am

Flight report for saturday at GAMA! Mac10
badbill
badbill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  badbill Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:28 am

Made this rack Sunday....

Flight report for saturday at GAMA! Rack10
badbill
badbill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  larrys4227 Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:49 am

Sounds like a blast! Nicely done!

I feel the pain on the busted leadout .... I've had 2 of those in the last couple months, on 2 different ARF airplanes.

Darn cheap chinese builds ..... Grrr ......

larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  TDbandit Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:06 am

badbill wrote:I'm wondering why my bud said we didn't have any pics????

Flight report for saturday at GAMA! Vec11
LOL I didn't know that you had taken pics lol!
Btw you need to get your 1/2A nobler up and going. The thing looks fun!  (Bandit)
TDbandit
TDbandit
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:34 am

That is a great report, Bandit and Bill. Well written story, TDB.
I'd like to take some of those combat planes for a ride.
That just sucks about the Vector. Maybe an ARC next time, so you can get in there and upgrade the hardware a little easier. Glad someone got out and did some flying while I was sitting around being lazy this weekend. Thanks for sneaking us a few pics, Bill.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  getback Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:18 pm

Thanks for the Report , sounds like a exciting time of flying . Nice looking planes Bad Bill ! Looks like you will get to fix the ARF right this time (the USA way) getback Leaves
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  badbill Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:05 pm

Many, MANY kudos to John Brodak. They are shipping me one of the new P-40 ARF's to replace the Vector. This kind of customer service is what keeps me coming back.
badbill
badbill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  RknRusty Wed Oct 28, 2015 2:56 pm

Hey Bill, I've seen one of those P-40s in action and it's a good solid pattern plane if you want it to be. Or just for sport. My buddy has one that was built by another club member who's downsizing and gave it to him. It's been a really nice surprise.
Rusty

My Hot Rock & Blues Playlist
RknRusty
RknRusty
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  larrys4227 Wed Oct 28, 2015 3:02 pm

badbill wrote:Many, MANY kudos to John Brodak. They are shipping me one of the new P-40 ARF's to replace the Vector. This kind of customer service is what keeps me coming back.

I really like mine!! (Please pardon the camera-persons play-by=play ... Smile )

larrys4227
larrys4227
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  badbill Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:41 am

This version of the P-40 ARF just arrived at Brodak about a month ago, along with their new Ringmaster ARF. Supposed to be a lot better quality than the older one. I actually have an older P-40 ARF that I converted to electric. It flies nice but hasn't seen much action since I got hooked on the vintage combat stuff.
badbill
badbill
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down