Cox Engines Forum
You are not logged in! Please login or register.

Logged in members see NO ADVERTISEMENTS!

A flooded old Pee Wee getting a throttle Cox_ba12

A flooded old Pee Wee getting a throttle Pixel

I forgot my password

Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» my attempt at making an exhaust throttle for Cox .049
by balogh Today at 12:07 am

» Testers Sprite engine swap
by Greenman38633 Yesterday at 9:32 pm

» Elfin 0.5cc (Arnie Hende replica)
by dan vincent Yesterday at 9:18 pm

» Introducing our Cox .049 TD Engines
by layback209 Yesterday at 9:10 pm

» Anderson Baby Spitfire - looking for the aft tank and gasket
by Boats13 Yesterday at 8:18 pm

» Fuel residue stain clening help
by akjgardner Yesterday at 7:53 pm

» Another of C.T. engines cleaned ---- Cox Tee Dee .09 --- Just today (3/26/2024) more Cox parts
by sosam117 Yesterday at 5:55 pm

» Cox powered boat litle shrimp hidroplane
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 2:52 pm

» Introducing the new - "QZ" RR-1
by roddie Yesterday at 1:08 pm

» STUKA bomb dimentions needed
by latole Yesterday at 9:36 am

» Indexing COX cylinders
by davidll1984 Yesterday at 7:56 am

» 1/2a Skyray plans?
by 944_Jim Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:14 pm

Cox Engine of The Month
March-2024
balogh's

"COX Budapest" .049 engine

PAST WINNERS
CEF Traveling Engine

Win This Engine!
Gallery

A flooded old Pee Wee getting a throttle Empty
Live on Patrol

A flooded old Pee Wee getting a throttle

Go down

Wanted A flooded old Pee Wee getting a throttle

Post  fabersum Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:40 am

Hello everyone

I am new here and new at Cox Engines.. I bought a Surestart to do my first experiments and a couple of Pee Wee that are the ones I am really interested in.

One of the Pee Wee was "gummed solid" so I put it into a glow fuel filled jar for a couple of days. Now it turns freely with what seems to be a good compression.
I would like to try to run it but of course now it's totally flooded by the dirty fuel and I don't know how to drain it out. Should I try to blow it away from the cylinder and crankcase with my compressor's  blow gun? Would I damage the Reed valve maybe? Should I open the tank's backplate to drain the fuel?
Should I just Mount it on a motor stand, put a propeller on, plug the starter clip and try to start it?

Any suggestion is very welcome!

Andrea

Last edited by fabersum on Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
fabersum
fabersum
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Wanted Re: A flooded old Pee Wee getting a throttle

Post  getback Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:49 am

WELCOME TO THE FORUM !!! Andrea , You will need to take it apart and clean the insides too, pick up tube , reed assy. be very careful with the reed as not to bend it and note the way the retainer is put in as to put it back the same way clip pointing out as not to pinch the reed ,, remove the needle and clear that passage , if it turns over fine I wouldn't worry with removing the cyl. / pist. Hope this helps sure there will be some others chiming in also . Keep us posted on the progress . getback Small Cox Logo
getback
getback
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  Kim Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:19 pm

What he said!!!

AND....WELCOME TO THE FORUM ANDREA !!!!!!!

Yep, there's probably plenty of goop inside the engine that will still be there, so disassembly would be a good idea.  You may also have to look at swapping the gaskets and pick-up tube, since these tend to give up with age.

If the tube does look to be in good shape, I like to remove the needle valve, stick a small tube in there, and give it a hard back-flush with a fuel bulb to hopefully remove more stuff (this is with the tank removed, and holding the back plate over a pan or paper towel).

Good luck, and there will surely be others checking in shortly !!!

Last edited by Kim on Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Kim
Kim
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

2023 Supporter

2024 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  xplaneguy Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:44 am

Welcome to the forum Andrea! I'm glad you're here and getting great info from getback and Kim.

Looking forward to your results....best of luck! Smile
xplaneguy
xplaneguy
Gold Member
Gold Member

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=263724

Back to top Go down

Wanted welcome

Post  happydad Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:58 am

fabersum wrote:Hello everyone

I am new here and new at Cox Engines.. I bought a Surestart to do my first experiments and a couple of Pee Wee that are the ones I am really interested in.

One of the Pee Wee was "gummed solid" so I put it into a glow fuel filled jar for a couple of days. Now it turns freely with what seems to be a good compression.
I would like to try to run it but of course now it's totally flooded by the dirty fuel and I don't know how to drain it out. Should I try to blow it away from the cylinder and crankcase with my compressor's  blow gun? Would I damage the Reed valve maybe? Should I open the tank's backplate to drain the fuel?
Should I just Mount it on a motor stand, put a propeller on, plug the starter clip and try to start it?

Any suggestion is very welcome!

Andrea

Welcome to the forum. Ask questions and get answers. It's easy.

This Site Rocks! I Love This Forum!

Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome Welcome     and

welcome

happydad RC Plane         Futaba Radio Jeep
happydad
happydad
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Back to top Go down

Post  Ken Cook Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:10 am

A major problem with most Cox engines is the castor goo that accumulates in the crankshaft area in the case when left dormant. While you might be successful in freeing the crank and engine to the point of running, it may not reach it's full potential. The crank sometimes needs to be removed and all the varnish needs to be mechanically removed. What happens is that this varnish like goo heats up as the engine is running and it tends to grab a hold of the crankshaft like a brake not allowing the engine to come up to full rpm's. Certainly it's worth a shot to run the engine to see if it's satisfying but as I mentioned, this procedure might be necessary.
Ken Cook
Ken Cook
Top Poster
Top Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  ARUP Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:25 am

Welcome aboard from one newby to another!
ARUP
ARUP
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fabersum Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:01 pm

Hi everybody!

First of all, many thanks for the warm welcome! Then, thanks for your instructions. I still don't have any .020 wrench so I cannot fully disassemble the engine but I should be able to do what getback suggests. So I will start from there and see how the thing looks inside. Will keep you informed :-)

Since I found such a bunch of kind guys, let me take full advantage with some more question..

How much is an used PeeWee RC Worth?
Would it be possible to make a good work at machining a standard Peewee cylinder to provide the required precision fit with a matching machined exhaust throttle?
Does the Pee Wee have the same internal structure as a Babe Bee?
Would it be possible to modify a Pee Wee to work with an "Ace" kind of throttle like the one for the .049? https://www.coxengineforum.com/t5486-049-reed-valve-venturi-throttle?highlight=049+throttle

Thanks again to everyone! Have a nice Sunday!

Andrea
fabersum
fabersum
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  fredvon4 Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:05 pm

Andrea

With good precision machining tools most any modification is possible

I think you are asking about reducing the cylinder diameter to fit a exhaust throttle and only have this to say... Sub Piston Induction (SPI*) on some of these engines interferes with muffler type throttles because the engine receives dirty hot exhaust gasses instead of clean air to add to the fuel mix

If this engine has SPI it is better to try and throttle by the method you suggested and yes a "ace" type would work but I have never seen one offered for the dinky engine BUT exceeding easy to fabricate if you want. Or find and fit a non SPI piston and cylinder combination ...truth is I don't know enough of the PeeWee engines to know if they even exist

SPI is a way to add additional cool clean air to the fuel air charge by lifting the piston skirt bottom a few thousands above the bottom of the exhaust port as the piston rises towards TDC...on the next down stroke there is a larger volume of air and fuel in the crank case to be compressed and shot up the fuel and boost ports... a very effect system for un muffled engines to gain a bit of power and rpm
fredvon4
fredvon4
Top Poster
Top Poster

2022 Supporter

Back to top Go down

Post  roddie Sat Jan 02, 2016 2:33 pm

fabersum wrote:

Would it be possible to modify a Pee Wee to work with an "Ace" kind of throttle like the one for the .049? https://www.coxengineforum.com/t5486-049-reed-valve-venturi-throttle?highlight=049+throttle

Thanks again to everyone! Have a nice Sunday!

Andrea

Hi Andrea, welcome to the forum! If you want to try this.. I would suggest obtaining a spare Pee Wee backplate first, to experiment on. The Ace style throttle is basically a piece of music-wire with a round taper ground on one end. It slides through a firewall-guide on center with the air-intake on the back of the engine.. but there's a small mesh-screen that must first be removed by using a sharp sewing-pin/needle. NOTE though.. that removing the screen can allow dirt/grit to enter, which could get stuck under the reed. This can cause the engine to run erratically.. or not run at all. That's one drawback. Another drawback is designing a firewall mount on the model, for the tapered-plunger to pass through.. and serve as a guide so that the plunger moves straight into/toward the air-intake. The Pee Wee may have a smaller diameter air-intake than the .049 (Bee) engine.. I'm not sure because I don't have any Pee Wees. If the hole is smaller.. you may need to make a plunger/needle to fit. I have some common T-pins having a .046" diameter. The Ace plunger measures .062" and fits completely inside the Bee engine's air-intake; past the taper.. without binding. This allows stopping the engine by completely cutting off the air.

Cox "did" make an exhaust-throttle/cylinder set for the Pee Wee; as can be seen in this photo below.

A flooded old Pee Wee getting a throttle Cox_pe10

roddie
roddie
Top Poster
Top Poster

http://www.stilburnin.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fabersum Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:14 am

Hello again!

I opened the two peewees as per your instructions - they didn't seem all that dirty, one of them was almost perfectly clean - and I realized I don't have to modify the backplate at all to try making an "Ace Venturi" throttle!
I took a look around the workshop for suitable steel and found one piece that's one breath wider than 1 mm (sorry, metric system here :-D) and it seems to fit the Pee Wee's venturi intake just fine.
So I am actually tapering steel needles..

Looking for an RC Pee Wee with the stock exhaust throttle in the while...

I'll update with some picture later.

Cheers!

Andrea

fabersum
fabersum
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Wanted Going Full Throttle!

Post  fabersum Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:46 pm

Hello folks

here some picture of my pee wee opened and cleaned and some of the contraption I put together to test an "Ace Venturi" throttle.

A flooded old Pee Wee getting a throttle 20160112
A flooded old Pee Wee getting a throttle 20160113
A flooded old Pee Wee getting a throttle 20160114
A flooded old Pee Wee getting a throttle 20160115
A flooded old Pee Wee getting a throttle 20160116
A flooded old Pee Wee getting a throttle 20160117
A flooded old Pee Wee getting a throttle 20160118

two videos of the throttle needle moving

Hopefully Tomorrow I'll test the thing with the engine running.

By the way: how much nitro? 20% castor and it's fine.. I want these engines to last as long as they can so I am tempted to stay quite low on nitro.. 15%? I'll use a 5030 (5" x 3") propeller as per Cox suggestions (from the original pee wee leaflet)  but I have a 4.5" x 2" to try too.

have a nice weekend everyone!

Andrea

Last edited by fabersum on Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : videos added)
fabersum
fabersum
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Wanted Lots of nitro

Post  706jim Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:19 pm

25-35% is fine with these small engines. They run a lot better with higher nitro content.
706jim
706jim
Gold Member
Gold Member

Back to top Go down

Post  Surfer_kris Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:46 am

In my experience a 5x3 prop is a little too much load for the PeeWee. Even with extra head gaskets the engine will run a little too hot and you end up chasing the needle (during a bench run). It will never finish the tank completely once in the air. The 4.5x2 works better in that respect, but even then can it be hard to run out the full tank for each flight...

I have had much better runs when I converted it to diesel fuel. It then spins a 6x3 with authority and finishes the tank each time. Smile

Surfer_kris
Surfer_kris
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Back to top Go down

Post  fabersum Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:05 am

My trials wee totally unsuccessful.. none of my two pee wee wanted to run.
Waiting for new glow heads and wrench from the other side of the pond now..
fabersum
fabersum
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down